Need help understanding N2+ and Android Play Protection

informix
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO, ODROID-N2+
Been thanked: 0

Need help understanding N2+ and Android Play Protection

Post by informix »

I got the N2+ hoping to make a full featured box for the TV. Netflix , Disney+, Steam Link, RetroArch, Kodi, (few others) everything in one box. But I'm running into all sorts of issues with how android works.. Or if i'm even even understanding this correctly.

Got android installed. Got google play installed.. Can install "some" stuff but i run into the "play protect certified" issue.. In short none of the "big" streaming services will install. I redid the instructions form another source.. Seemed to go the same.... But still no google play protection cert.. .. Oho ok.. few posts says clear cash and reboot.. Wait "some number of hours" Ok did that.. All good. .. and still NO.. . OK.. download a different image.. try the same thing.. Still nothing..!!!
Re read all the posts I could find.. Start to think the issues they were having were NOT about the play protect cert.. And that is a side issues..

Can these devices be Play Protection certified? Can anyone say that on there N2+ they go go Play store settings and scroll down and see the it is certified.? I can't find a source that says.. Yes for sure that is the case..

Any help.. this is my first "real" SBC build to do anything other than just flop an image on a raspberry pi.. and go..

informix

Re: Need help understanding N2+ and Android Play Protection

Post by informix »

Seems No.. At least I still can't find any way to do it.. It needs to come from the manufacturer.. (apparently)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

No - Odroid devices are not certified for big streaming services. To be certified they would need to be locked down (bootloader, hardware, OS) and run through a drm certification process.

As far as I know you can install the streaming apps from sites like apkpure and some may work, but with low resolution (480p).
You can also use Kodi (coreelec?) with the adaptive stream plugin that bypasses the certification process and pretends to be a webbrowser. You can get higher resolution for some services, but I think disney has sound issues.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
informix (Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:07 am)

informix

Post by informix »

Thanks for the info.. I bought one thinking it would just install and work.. Guess I'm looking at something else.. Not sure what.. ?? Nvidia shield maybe.. ????

rooted

Post by rooted »

You can certify Google services.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-f ... error/amp/

This is different than needing Level 1 widevine for things such as full hd netflix, Disney+, etc.

Return to “Android”