[OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance/Super)

Third party OS images and hardware mods
Azure48
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID Go-Advance
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance)

Post by Azure48 »

I'm thinking there's gotta be. It seems to be seeing that headphones are being plugged in, but maybe not knowing how to deal with that, and setting the speaker volume to max. Possibly because it thinks it's setting the headphones to max volume and that the speaker is supposed to sort itself out? But the fact that there's any difference at all seems like an indicator that something's triggering. Push comes to shove though, assigning the amixer commands to buttons in antimicro would probably do the trick, albeit a bit less convenient.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

coud be simply a mechanical difference.
If I activate SPK + HP the Speaker is "quieter" than just using SPK on it's own. Maybe the power delivery switches between both outputs or something like that and when you plug in a headphone you may just close a gap and return to the original value.
That's of cause just guessing.
I have to see if I can find an event for the headphones. As you said, most PCs do recognize this, so maybe it's working on the GO2 as well.

Edit:
Found: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... plugged-in
I'll check on that later if this works on the GO2 as well, if yes it should be relatively easy to make a service that can switch between both.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

evdev registers events on headphone connection/disconnection.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
meveric (Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:34 pm)

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

mad_ady wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:13 pm
evdev registers events on headphone connection/disconnection.
That's also good to know, although I'm not sure yet how to read them out.
I tested the above on my laptop where I could easily create a service for sysemd that will handle plugin and unplug of headphones, simply by reding /proc addresses.
Have to check if evdev is easier to read out or can be combined with udev rules or something.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

This should do the trick: https://github.com/mad-ady/multibutton

I'm using it to map dpad and keys to run a mpd client (ncmpd) on the oga. It needs a little change since my code looks for EV_KEY while the headphone jack generates some other event types.

PR welcome :D I've been too lazy...
Relevant code is in the uinput.py, but undocumented...

meveric

Post by meveric »

mad_ady wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:51 am
This should do the trick: https://github.com/mad-ady/multibutton

I'm using it to map dpad and keys to run a mpd client (ncmpd) on the oga. It needs a little change since my code looks for EV_KEY while the headphone jack generates some other event types.

PR welcome :D I've been too lazy...
Relevant code is in the uinput.py, but undocumented...
Hmm a loop without any pause?
But with tons of calculations and checks?
Doesn't that script occupy one CPU core quite a lot?

I checked however the platform-rk817-sound-event which signals if a headphone is plugged in or not.
So if I can do this with a udev rule that would be best.
I'd really like to avoid to have the status actively been pulled.

meveric

Post by meveric »

ok found a rather easy solution for the headphone topic:

Code: Select all

apt install acpid
Event Listener:

root@buster64-go2:~# cat /etc/acpi/events/headphone
event=jack/headphone HEADPHONE.*
action=/etc/acpi/headphone.sh "%e"
Script to execute:

root@buster64-go2:~# cat /etc/acpi/headphone.sh 
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$1" == "jack/headphone HEADPHONE unplug" ]; then
	amixer -c 0 sset 'Playback Path' 'HP'
elif [ "$1" == "jack/headphone HEADPHONE plug" ]; then
	amixer -c 0 sset 'Playback Path' 'SPK'
fi
Please note that plug and unplug seems to be reversed.
And make sure it's executeable:

chmod +x /etc/acpi/headphone.sh
restart acpid and it should work:

service acpid restart

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

That does the trick, but for me it's making it now max out the headphone volume, which isn't very pleasant, to say the least. Turning down the volume via the mixer seems to not affect it at all, thus my volume down and up buttons through antimicro do nothing.

meveric

Post by meveric »

since /etc/acpi/headphone.sh is a script you can add more commands to it.
for example:

#!/bin/bash
        amixer -c 0 sset Playback 70%
        amixer -c 0 sset Playback 70%
fi
If alsa mixer doesn't work, it could be that pulseaudio overwrites it from desktop, in that case you could try to use pulse commands.

pactl -- set-sink-volume 0 80%
but in my tests amixer worked in fact if I change volume with amixer to 70% and then change pulse audio it always stays quite, if I go alsa with 100% I can control sound with pulseaudio.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Hmm a loop without any pause?
But with tons of calculations and checks?
Doesn't that script occupy one CPU core quite a lot?
Actually the perl code listens for events, the python code injects a key event (to do the remapping).
The evdev module listens for events for a specified time interval and processes them if any. Yes, it's an infinite loop, and it uses polling, but it's not hogging a CPU core. It's relatively light on resources (and relatively fast to react to keypresses).
But your method is more elegant!

meveric

Post by meveric »

Seems acpi can listen to even more events.. button presses included.. maybe I find a few more things to do with it πŸ˜‰

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

I managed to figure it out, the opposite was actually true. The default LXDE volume slider was only changing pulseaudio's volume, didn't have an option to change alsa instead, and something about changing between speaker and headphones caused alsa to just start ignoring pulse completely, at least I think that's what was happening. Installing volumeicon-alsa and setting that as the default instead sorted things out. Acpid was only working at first when I started it manually, but that was also easy to sort out, i just needed to enable it with systemctl, and now everything seems to work as expected.

Also, how would I go about using gl4es alone? I know box86 comes with it, but I haven't been able to find it, and it doesn't seem like there's a package for it on any of the repos. I attempted compiling it myself but that failed every time.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Azure48 wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:52 pm
I managed to figure it out, the opposite was actually true. The default LXDE volume slider was only changing pulseaudio's volume, didn't have an option to change alsa instead, and something about changing between speaker and headphones caused alsa to just start ignoring pulse completely, at least I think that's what was happening. Installing volumeicon-alsa and setting that as the default instead sorted things out. Acpid was only working at first when I started it manually, but that was also easy to sort out, i just needed to enable it with systemctl, and now everything seems to work as expected.
Glad it's working out for you :)
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:52 pm
Also, how would I go about using gl4es alone? I know box86 comes with it, but I haven't been able to find it, and it doesn't seem like there's a package for it on any of the repos. I attempted compiling it myself but that failed every time.
The package is called libgl-odroid it is available for both arm64 and armhf.
The binaries are stored unter /usr/local/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu or /usr/local/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ depending on if it's an arm64 or armhf package.
There's also a symlink created under /usr/local/lib directly for the default architecture means arm64.
So you can use it by setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable for example:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu supertux2
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid (Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:03 am)

meveric

Re: [OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance/Super)

Post by meveric »

Update:
Updated the base image to support ODROID Go Super (GO3) out of the box.
Rest is pretty much unchanged as there are no major differences between GO2 and GO3.

If you already run an image an update of the image is all you need to make it compatible with the GO3.

Please Note: if you encounter the error:

Replacing files in old package linux-image-4.4.189 (4.4.189-20200522-GO2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-IYBL45/16-linux-image-4.4.189-arm64_4.4.189-20201229-GO2_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of './boot/rk3326-odroidgo2-linux-v11.dtb' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Just delete the file and trigger the installation again (the file will be recreated)

rm /boot/rk3326-odroidgo2-linux-v11.dtb
apt install -f

meveric

Post by meveric »

meveric wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:04 pm
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:45 am
As for binfmt, it still gives me the same error.

● systemd-binfmt.service - Set Up Additional Binary Formats
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-binfmt.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-12-22 00:32:14 UTC; 12s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-binfmt.service(8)
           man:binfmt.d(5)
           https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/binfmt-misc.html
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems
  Process: 1560 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-binfmt (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 1560 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Dec 22 00:32:14 buster64-go2 systemd[1]: Starting Set Up Additional Binary Formats...
Dec 22 00:32:14 buster64-go2 systemd-binfmt[1560]: Failed to add binary format: No such file or directory
Dec 22 00:32:14 buster64-go2 systemd[1]: systemd-binfmt.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILU
Dec 22 00:32:14 buster64-go2 systemd[1]: systemd-binfmt.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 22 00:32:14 buster64-go2 systemd[1]: Failed to start Set Up Additional Binary Formats.
I made sure the config file is exactly the same as yours, and it is. None of that seems like especially useful information, either. journalctl -xe doesn't say anything more helpful either.
I'll try from a fresh image to compare as I currently can't see what should be the issue.
Finally had some time to test this, here are the steps that I did and their results:

apt update
setup-odroid
install Desktop -> MATE
rm /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/71-no-recommends
apt update
apt install -t buster box86-odroid box86-wine-odroid
systemctl restart systemd-binfmt.service
systemctl status systemd-binfmt.service -> was running fine
copy ftl_advanced_edition_1_6_12_2_35269.sh to the odroid-go2
chmod +x ftl_advanced_edition_1_6_12_2_35269.sh
starting with ./ftl_advanced_edition_1_6_12_2_35269.sh
-> starts using box86 (x86 installer)
xrandr --output DSI-1 --scale 2x2 (scale desktop for larger screen)
disabled compositing (System -> Control Center -> Window -> uncheck software compositing)
double click desktop icon for FTL -> starts a script called start.sh in the game folder.
-> did not work -> check script by hand -> graphics issue
apt install libmali-rk-bifrost-g31-rxp0-x11-gbm:armhf -> install 32bit GPU drivers
game starts and ODROID runs out of memory :D
apt install zram-odroid
service zram start
restart game -> works

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

Hmm, I don't care for MATE, so I opted for LXDE instead, because I figured it'd probably be faster anyway. Perhaps that has something to do with it? I don't really see how it would, though. Interesting. I'd rather not wipe the SD card i'm using at the moment though, and I don't have another that's any good. Maybe I'll take a look at what packages are different between the setup tasks for LXDE and MATE to see if I can figure something out.

meveric

Post by meveric »

MATE and LXDE are both lightweight desktops and the performance is the same.
MATE is just easier to use in my opinion as it has elements of the older gnome2 but also access to gtk3 elements for notifications and such.
But as you said, it shouldn't be any difference.

systemd-binfmt.service comes with systemd, so that is the same for both, and as long as that starts you're one the save side, and for me it started right away with no issues.

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

I remember finding a couple odd configuration files for binfmt for python 2, 3, and java, and I'm starting to think maybe those are the culprit? They weren't in the same format or the same place as the box86 one. Could you also maybe try installing binfmt-support to see if that breaks anything?

meveric

Post by meveric »

not right now as I'm at work and don't have it the ODROID GO2/GO3 at hand, but I will tonight when I'm back home.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 pm
I remember finding a couple odd configuration files for binfmt for python 2, 3, and java, and I'm starting to think maybe those are the culprit? They weren't in the same format or the same place as the box86 one. Could you also maybe try installing binfmt-support to see if that breaks anything?
I tested it again, both with LXDE and with binfmt-support installed (and running)
Works perfectly fine.
Image Image

I found one issue though which is a conflict between SDL2 for arm64 and armhf which I'm going to fix soon.
But that's no big deal, they were just created when I didn't knew how the entire multiarch thing worked :D

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

Hmm, alright. I can't imagine what it'd be. The only other SD card I had lying around was a slow, old class 4 one, I attempted to flash it with a fresh image and follow your steps, but it came up with an error while updating the kernel. I'm thinking it's probably the SD card itself, as when i attempted to flash one of the others I had from around the same time it just entirely died. I'll try and pick up a new one soon if I can, but for the time being it'll have to wait. Considering it happened both times, maybe the problem was somehow caused by something I installed on both? The only somewhat unusual thing that comes to mind is openjdk-11-jre, but purging that didn't help. Removing the strange configs I found before didn't really help, either.

meveric

Post by meveric »

since binfmt comes directly from systemd it's expected to work pretty much out of the box.
Even if you have nothing else installed, and you just install box86 it should work right away, as it's part of the OS.
The box86 config for binfmt hasn't changed at all as far as I know so there's also nothing that could have broken that (I remember you said you altered the file and got something to work).
It's probably best to start anew and check what may break this. I can't imagine much that can cause this.

meveric

Post by meveric »

so the SDL2 problem should be fixed now, installation of SDL2 both arm64 and armhf side by side should work again.

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

Alright, fresh install, followed your instructions, and it finally seems to work. What was the problem, I'm still not sure. Perhaps something with the old image? It didn't want to update properly, so I downloaded your newer one instead. Thanks for all your help. I may try and retrace my steps some later and see if I can figure out what broke it.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Maybe it was the Kernel update? If you said the update did not go through, maybe the new Kernel was never installed?

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

It went through on both of my installs that I had already used, that started at your image, updated to the newer kernel, and then updated to the newest one that adds Go Super support. That all went fine. A fresh install though wouldn't work. But that raises the question of if something did get messed up in updating the older image there too, and that I'm not sure about.

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

I was able to get Steam installed and even running, though the login window and the main library window didn't render at all. I was able to blindly login, but things weren't really usable without being able to see the UI. I made sure every driver was there, including the armhf mali-rk-bifrost packages, but no luck. Progress, though. I'll tinker with it more tomorrow, maybe throw some other things at it. Binfmt works like a charm though finally.

meveric

Post by meveric »

yeah steam seems a constant struggle. There are tons of issue regarding steam on the github of box86.
Also as I said, the resources of the GO2 are very limited. Doubt the GO2 can handle steam.

Azure48

Post by Azure48 »

Well, I was able to get it to run at least. I don't really need to use steam itself really, just have it there to be able to start things up. It showed up in the tray and everything seemed to be working properly, I just wasn't able to see anything. If I can start up a Steam game I copy over just by having it be there, I'm set. Hopefully that works, I'll see if I can figure anything out tomorrow.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

meveric wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:33 am
ok found a rather easy solution for the headphone topic:

apt install acpid
Event Listener:

root@buster64-go2:~# cat /etc/acpi/events/headphone
event=jack/headphone HEADPHONE.*
action=/etc/acpi/headphone.sh "%e"
Script to execute:

#!/bin/bash
fi
Please note that plug and unplug seems to be reversed.
And make sure it's executeable:

chmod +x /etc/acpi/headphone.sh
restart acpid and it should work:

service acpid restart
Regarding this trick - I had problems installing acpid on your image:

sudo apt install acpid
[sudo] password for adrianp: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libdrm-common libjsoncpp1 mate-screensaver-common
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
Recommended packages:
  acpi-support-base
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  acpid
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 57.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 150 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster/main arm64 acpid arm64 1:2.0.31-1 [57.2 kB]
Fetched 57.2 kB in 0s (407 kB/s)
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = "",
	LC_TIME = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_MONETARY = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_COLLATE = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_ADDRESS = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_TELEPHONE = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_MESSAGES = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_NAME = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_MEASUREMENT = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_IDENTIFICATION = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_NUMERIC = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_PAPER = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Selecting previously unselected package acpid.
(Reading database ... 217020 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../acpid_1%3a2.0.31-1_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking acpid (1:2.0.31-1) ...
Setting up acpid (1:2.0.31-1) ...
Job for acpid.service failed because of unavailable resources or another system error.
See "systemctl status acpid.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript acpid, action "start" failed.
● acpid.service - ACPI event daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/acpid.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: resources)

Jan 02 15:48:08 go2-white systemd[1]: acpid.service: Got no socket.
Jan 02 15:48:08 go2-white systemd[1]: acpid.service: Failed to run 'start' task: Invalid argument
Jan 02 15:48:08 go2-white systemd[1]: acpid.service: Failed with result 'resources'.
Jan 02 15:48:08 go2-white systemd[1]: Failed to start ACPI event daemon.
dpkg: error processing package acpid (--configure):
 installed acpid package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 acpid
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I managed to fix it with:

adrianp ξ‚° πŸ’» go2-white ξ‚° ~ ξ‚° $ ξ‚° sudo systemctl restart acpid
 adrianp ξ‚° πŸ’» go2-white ξ‚° ~ ξ‚° $ ξ‚° sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up acpid (1:2.0.31-1) ...
 adrianp ξ‚° πŸ’» go2-white ξ‚° ~ ξ‚° $ ξ‚° sudo systemctl status acpid.service
● acpid.service - ACPI event daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/acpid.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2021-01-02 15:51:36 EET; 11s ago
 Main PID: 31377 (acpid)
   CGroup: /system.slice/acpid.service
           └─31377 /usr/sbin/acpid

Jan 02 15:51:36 go2-white systemd[1]: Started ACPI event daemon.
Jan 02 15:51:36 go2-white acpid[31377]: starting up with netlink and the input layer
Jan 02 15:51:36 go2-white acpid[31377]: 1 rule loaded
Jan 02 15:51:36 go2-white acpid[31377]: waiting for events: event logging is off

meveric

Post by meveric »

well not sure why it failed to start when restart after that worked fine.
Maybe just a hickup?
I've done this multiple times by now and it works.
More annoying is that it for whatever reason doesn't start automatically on first try.. I had to do a enable although the vendor default says it should be enabled.
Anyway, once it runs it runs.
I use the same now for the volume on my gaming image so volume can be adjusted everywhere.

nex86
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Editon
Has thanked: 0

Post by nex86 »

I have an issue that my wifi is disconnected after every reboot.
I have to manually re-enable it by doing service networking restart

is this normal?

meveric

Post by meveric »

are you using a desktop (with network manager) or just command line?

If you're using command line only what does your /etc/network/interfaces look like?

nex86
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Editon
Has thanked: 0

Post by nex86 »

just commandline, still in the process of installing mate

I got this:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-essid mySSID
    wpa-psk mypassword
I commented the eth0 lines out since i don't use wired.

meveric

Post by meveric »

hmm instead of auto wlan0 try allow-hotplug wlan0
this tells the system to check whether it's there or not and allows it to be activated later in time.
you can also try adding an additional line:

wpa-scan-ssid 1
this will actively scan for our SSID. It normally is only required for hidden wifis, but who knows.
I normally don't have interruption and my wifi boots up all the time.

Also once you're using desktop and have network manager, it will take over the configuration of your WiFi and should also work quite well, if it loses connection it should reconnect and such.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Just to show off something new that is working:

Running moonlight-embedded on the GO2/GO3 using sunshine on a Ubuntu 20.04 laptop:
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vid ... ht-go2.mp4
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vid ... ht-go3.mp4

viewtopic.php?p=319356#p319356

Return to β€œProjects”