Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

psifi
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid N2

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by psifi »

Update version from 20201218 is uploaded. The firmware can be updated in the Petitboot itself by running the command 'pb-update', or you can download firmware file from spiboot-20201218.img and copy it to your SD card as spiboot.img.
After update to this version petitboot does not detect my COREELEC installation (9.2.5 on eMMC) anymore. Only my ubuntu and manjaro installations on USB are detected. Rescan devices does not help.

andy5macht
ODROIDs: U3, C2, N2

Post by andy5macht »

same here - (old) 9.2.5 CoreELEC on eMMC is not detected anymore.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

@psifi and @andy5macht, Let me test CoreELEC 9.2.5 with the new Petitboot again. Please do download the previous version 20201112 from the link and copy it as spiboot.img to the first partition of your SD card in order to revert the current version.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201112.img

Let me confirm if it's a bug of the Petitboot 20201218 or not, and let me update new one if fixed.

Katikakus1
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2

Post by Katikakus1 »

I had the same problem with version 20201112. I run Android from eMMC and CoreElec from SD card. After update to 20201112, petitboot would not see and boot system on eMMC. SD card worked as before. I reverted back to the previous version. Haven't tested the 20201218 but it seems the problem is similar.

psifi

Post by psifi »

tobetter wrote:
@psifi and @andy5macht, Let me test CoreELEC 9.2.5 with the new Petitboot again. Please do download the previous version 20201112 from the link and copy it as spiboot.img to the first partition of your SD card in order to revert the current version.
Petitboot version 20201112 also does not detect CoreELEC 9.2.5 for me.
But there is no problem with CoreELEC at all after going back to petitboot 20200816.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

psifi wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:29 am
tobetter wrote:
Petitboot version 20201112 also does not detect CoreELEC 9.2.5 for me.
But there is no problem with CoreELEC at all after going back to petitboot 20200816.
Strange...I've justed tested fresh CoreELEC 9.2.5 with the Petitboot 20201218, it boots without an issue.
Do you have any logs or screen with an error?
Do you have the boot menu entry for the CoreELEC 9.2.5?

psifi

Post by psifi »

First the boot menu for petitboot dev.20200816

and for petitboot dev.20201218

i see no logs or screen with error messages.
I can flash back or forward again and again. The results remains always the same, no detection of coreelec with dev. 20201218 and dev. 20201112, everything ok with dev.20200816.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

psifi wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm
First the boot menu for petitboot dev.20200816

and for petitboot dev.20201218

i see no logs or screen with error messages.
I can flash back or forward again and again. The results remains always the same, no detection of coreelec with dev. 20201218 and dev. 20201112, everything ok with dev.20200816.
Interesting...Let me check again...What's the size of your eMMC? Is it orange color?

psifi

Post by psifi »

Interesting...Let me check again...What's the size of your eMMC? Is it orange color?
Its 16GB eMMC from Hardkernel and its orange, see:

These users thanked the author psifi for the post:
tobetter (Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:29 pm)

andy5macht

Post by andy5macht »

mine is orange, too. 8GB
since update to 20201218 resolution is 1024x768 - can we change to 1080p without config at SD-Card?
These users thanked the author andy5macht for the post:
tobetter (Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:29 pm)

nicoraf
ODROIDs: Odroid U3
Odroid N2
Been thanked: 0

Post by nicoraf »

tobetter wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:31 am

Let me confirm if it's a bug of the Petitboot 20201218 or not, and let me update new one if fixed.
Updated Petiboot now netboot_default isnt working :( .

I execute:

netboot_default
exit

And the install options don't appear.

nicoraf
Odroid N2

Post by nicoraf »

andy5macht wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:29 pm
mine is orange, too. 8GB
since update to 20201218 resolution is 1024x768 - can we change to 1080p without config at SD-Card?
I think for Petiboot 1024x768 is better, I have old monitors that dont handle 1080p .

nicoraf
Odroid N2

Post by nicoraf »

nicoraf wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:41 pm
tobetter wrote:

I execute:

netboot_default
exit

Another update, I created a SD memory of 16 GB with Armbian. If I boot the memory using Petiboot version 20201218 , I can successfully see Petiboot , but when I choose the Armbian SD to boot, the screen signal disapears!!!!
On the other hand if I choose to boot directly from the SD memory , the screen is displayed correcty.

I also have the same problem with an Ubuntu Desktop partition installed in an SSD disk and attempting to boot from Petiboot version 20201218.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

andy5macht wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:29 pm
mine is orange, too. 8GB
If you like to change the default resolution of the Petitboot, please go for "Exit to shell" and run these commands.

Code: Select all

fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p60hz
fw_setenv vga 1080p60hz
The change will be affected after rebooting. If it does not show a picture after this change, your display would not compatible with the mode. In that case, you need to find out the supported display mode with petitboot.cfg in your SD card and apply with the new value instead of 1080p60hz.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

nicoraf wrote:
tobetter wrote:

I execute:

netboot_default
exit

When netboot_default does not show up the installer menu, please check the network connection on your N2. Also check if your N2 has the IP address in the Petitboot. If you do not have IP address somehow, please run udhcpc that will receive the new IP address from your DHCP server. Once you confirm the IP address, do run netboot_default again.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

nicoraf wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:02 am
nicoraf wrote:
tobetter wrote:

I execute:

netboot_default
exit

Another update, I created a SD memory of 16 GB with Armbian. If I boot the memory using Petiboot version 20201218 , I can successfully see Petiboot , but when I choose the Armbian SD to boot, the screen signal disapears!!!!
On the other hand if I choose to boot directly from the SD memory , the screen is displayed correcty.
I doubt Armbian had booted with the Petitboot recently since they change the boot script with the mainline U-boot. The current Petitboot for N2/HC4 is not able to Armbian since their boot script with upstream U-boot and upstream kernel is too advanced than other OS that uses legacy U-boot. I have no chance to fix to boot Armbian from the Petitboot yet, unfortunately.
I also have the same problem with an Ubuntu Desktop partition installed in an SSD disk and attempting to boot from Petiboot version 20201218.
This is odd, since I use USB storage or SSD daily basis for testing. Do you see any device node /dev/sd* in the Petitboot command line?

nicoraf
Odroid N2

Post by nicoraf »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:33 am
nicoraf wrote:
tobetter wrote:

I execute:

netboot_default
exit

When netboot_default does not show up the installer menu, please check the network connection on your N2. Also check if your N2 has the IP address in the Petitboot. If you do not have IP address somehow, please run udhcpc that will receive the new IP address from your DHCP server. Once you confirm the IP address, do run netboot_default again.
Thanks tobetter . I could solve that using udhcpc. I note that with this latest version I need to execute udhcpc every time I boot, if I need a netboot_default .

Regarding the netbook installation.

I can report the following.
I have installed two times doing exactly the same steps:

netboot_default
exit

Then selected Ubuntu 20.04 installation. Selected the same exact options . (didnt installed any Ubuntu option such as desktop / server , etc).

The first time I did the installation. After booting from Petiboot and then the SSD appears and I select it. It booted and the ubuntu console appeared.

The second time , After booting from Petiboot and then the SSD appears and I select it. The screen didnt have signal.

I have a feeling that the cause is Petiboot that has some errors before starting the netboot installation that I don't know exactly.

nicoraf
Odroid N2

Post by nicoraf »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:37 am
nicoraf wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:02 am
nicoraf wrote:
tobetter wrote:

I execute:

netboot_default
exit

I doubt Armbian had booted with the Petitboot recently since they change the boot script with the mainline U-boot. The current Petitboot for N2/HC4 is not able to Armbian since their boot script with upstream U-boot and upstream kernel is too advanced than other OS that uses legacy U-boot. I have no chance to fix to boot Armbian from the Petitboot yet, unfortunately.
This is odd, since I use USB storage or SSD daily basis for testing. Do you see any device node /dev/sd* in the Petitboot command line?
Yes I see the node /dev/sd* . I select it and when it start booting, the screen signal didn't work.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

nicoraf wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 am
Thanks tobetter . I could solve that using udhcpc. I note that with this latest version I need to execute udhcpc every time I boot, if I need a netboot_default .

Regarding the netbook installation.

I can report the following.
I have installed two times doing exactly the same steps:

netboot_default
exit

Then selected Ubuntu 20.04 installation. Selected the same exact options . (didnt installed any Ubuntu option such as desktop / server , etc).

The first time I did the installation. After booting from Petiboot and then the SSD appears and I select it. It booted and the ubuntu console appeared.

The second time , After booting from Petiboot and then the SSD appears and I select it. The screen didnt have signal.

I have a feeling that the cause is Petiboot that has some errors before starting the netboot installation that I don't know exactly.
When one says no screen, there are two reasons in general. The case #1 is Linux kernel failed to mount a root file system and the case #2 is display driver does not work. It's hard to know what's caused if you do not have UART debugging board. One method is to use ssh, the case #1 won't response to ssh while #2 does. Maybe you can try it out when the problem happens.

Petitboot won't break the Netboot installer since both uses different Linux kernel. Since you have a console at first after installation, Petitboot does not make anything wrong this. But since you are not able to boot at the second time, maybe Petitboot does not give the proper root file system to Ubuntu and this is the case #1.

If you have a doubt about the Petitboot, it would be good idea to install previous version and see the same issue happens. Maybe the version 20200816 or 20201020 would be good to try.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 200816.img
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201020.img

Also, I've read your previous post that your display device does not support 1080P so I also doubt this as well for the case #2. I've reported that some display device does not work with mainline kernel unless set the resolution manually with a kernel parameter. I wonder what was the resolution when you made the first boot with the Netboot Installer.

So...please try to run ssh to your N2 installed with the Netboot Installer. You should figure out the IP address. If your N2 response and allow you to sign in, we can try to set up the display resolution for your display device. Whilist, if your N2 does not response to ssh, I have to doubt your SSD if it's correctly installed and Petitboot gives proper root file system on booting.

liminalsunset
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 0

Post by liminalsunset »

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to use Petitboot to allow the ODROID to boot using SFTP? Petitboot claims that this is a supported method of booting the system but I have not seen any indication of whether it will be supported on the ODROID version. I am using the HC4.

Also, just wondering if the ODROID version of Petitboot has a source code availability, or what differences it has with regards to the "OpenPOWER Petitboot" on GitHub.

Thanks!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

liminalsunset wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:33 am
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to use Petitboot to allow the ODROID to boot using SFTP? Petitboot claims that this is a supported method of booting the system but I have not seen any indication of whether it will be supported on the ODROID version. I am using the HC4.

Also, just wondering if the ODROID version of Petitboot has a source code availability, or what differences it has with regards to the "OpenPOWER Petitboot" on GitHub.

Thanks!
There were a discussion about the network boot using the Petitboot, it supports multiple protocols like HTTP, FTP and SFTP.
viewtopic.php?p=292379#p292379

But in order to get the boot files from your server, you need to set up PXE boot server with DHCP service, so that your HC4 will receive the PXE configuration when it obtains an IP address. If you run 'netboot_default' on the Petitboot command line, it downloads the PXE config from my private server and shows the Netboot Installer boot entries so that one can start to install Debian or Ubuntu through the network. Please visit the page that has the PXE boot config.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/pxeboot/arm64/

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Post by istanbulls »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Update version from 20201218 is uploaded. The firmware can be updated in the Petitboot itself by running the command 'pb-update', or you can download firmware file from spiboot-20201218.img and copy it to your SD card as spiboot.img.

What's improved:
  • Support Amlogic compressed multi device tree format.
I can't update petitboot.
I get same error with pb-update and uSD card.
Attachments
20201222_152607.jpg
20201222_152607.jpg (227.2 KiB) Viewed 1727 times

Samiha
ODROIDs: odroid n2+

Post by Samiha »

hi, spiflash doesn't open petitboot and blocked on hardkernel logo when i put an os on card memory , didn't detect any os from EMMC

:( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
Attachments
gfh.jpg
gfh.jpg (161.42 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
hh=h.jpg
hh=h.jpg (180.75 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

@Samiha and @istanbulls, I think the Petitboot is currupted for some reason. I am sorry about that... :(

Please download the recovery image from the link and flash to your SD card. In order to recover the SPI flash memory, place the boot select switch to MMC and remove eMMC, only SD card flashed with the recovery image. The recovery will start when you reattach the DC power adapter.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 218.img.xz

Please refer to the link for recovery mode.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... overy_mode

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Post by istanbulls »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:31 pm
@Samiha and @istanbulls, I think the Petitboot is currupted for some reason. I am sorry about that... :(

Please download the recovery image from the link and flash to your SD card. In order to recover the SPI flash memory, place the boot select switch to MMC and remove eMMC, only SD card flashed with the recovery image. The recovery will start when you reattach the DC power adapter.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 218.img.xz

Please refer to the link for recovery mode.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... overy_mode
Thanks @tobetter.
I updated with pb-update a few days ago and petitboot is broken.
I tried a few recovery images, it failed. I have provided a correct petitboot setup with the petitboot (dev.20201020) recovery image.
Today, I tried both with pb-update and uSD and could not update.
I will try again now.

Edit:
everything is fine with the recovery image, thanks again.

liminalsunset

Post by liminalsunset »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:48 am
liminalsunset wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
There were a discussion about the network boot using the Petitboot, it supports multiple protocols like HTTP, FTP and SFTP.

But in order to get the boot files from your server, you need to set up PXE boot server with DHCP service, so that your HC4 will receive the PXE configuration when it obtains an IP address. If you run 'netboot_default' on the Petitboot command line, it downloads the PXE config from my private server and shows the Netboot Installer boot entries so that one can start to install Debian or Ubuntu through the network. Please visit the page that has the PXE boot config.
Hi, thank you for your response! The way I understand is, the only way currently to boot the system is by loading a configuration file over PXE.
I am attempting to set up the device in an environment where other PXE server isn't available. I would like to configure Petitboot to automatically load a network bootable OS over the Internet connection from my server, is this possible at all? Additionally, is it possible to run scripts automatically in the console of Petitboot when the system loads? I think some of this functionality may be possible to implement using petitboot plugins, but I am not sure if that is supported yet

Thanks!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

liminalsunset wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:55 am
tobetter wrote:
liminalsunset wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi, thank you for your response! The way I understand is, the only way currently to boot the system is by loading a configuration file over PXE.
I am attempting to set up the device in an environment where other PXE server isn't available. I would like to configure Petitboot to automatically load a network bootable OS over the Internet connection from my server, is this possible at all? Additionally, is it possible to run scripts automatically in the console of Petitboot when the system loads? I think some of this functionality may be possible to implement using petitboot plugins, but I am not sure if that is supported yet

Thanks!
Firstly, Petitboot plugins is never tested with N2 yet.
Secondly, even I mentioned about PXE server, the point of whole set up is DHCP server. Wouldn't it possible to set up the VPN DHCP server in your domain? Such that N2 receive the IP address from it, not ordinary router and the DHCP server provide the PXE configuration file which contains where the OS images are located.
Lastly, quick idea for your case if you are completely not able to set up a PXE or a DHCP server, what if PXE configuration is stored in SD card and the Petitboot load it on booting? So for example, you put the PXE configuration file as pxeboot.cfg in the SD card and the Petitboot scan it and launch it when the file is exist.

Since the size of SPI flash memory on N2 is very limited, 8MB, I am also very struggling to fit the image into 8MB sometimes. So there would be no space for the configuration or a plug in, but you can use SD card and replace it easily when you need to change the boot config.

What do you think?

EDIT: I realize one issue for the network protocol that the Petitboot for N2 cannot support SFTP since due to the size of the flash memory, libssl is not included.

liminalsunset

Post by liminalsunset »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:07 am
liminalsunset wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:55 am
tobetter wrote:
liminalsunset wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Thanks!
Firstly, Petitboot plugins is never tested with N2 yet.
Secondly, even I mentioned about PXE server, the point of whole set up is DHCP server. Wouldn't it possible to set up the VPN DHCP server in your domain? Such that N2 receive the IP address from it, not ordinary router and the DHCP server provide the PXE configuration file which contains where the OS images are located.
Lastly, quick idea for your case if you are completely not able to set up a PXE or a DHCP server, what if PXE configuration is stored in SD card and the Petitboot load it on booting? So for example, you put the PXE configuration file as pxeboot.cfg in the SD card and the Petitboot scan it and launch it when the file is exist.

Since the size of SPI flash memory on N2 is very limited, 8MB, I am also very struggling to fit the image into 8MB sometimes. So there would be no space for the configuration or a plug in, but you can use SD card and replace it easily when you need to change the boot config.

What do you think?

EDIT: I realize one issue for the network protocol that the Petitboot for N2 cannot support SFTP since due to the size of the flash memory, libssl is not included.
Hi,

Thank you for the advice. I have just tried to put the contents of the PXE Boot config into a file called 'pxeboot.cfg' at the root of an empty microSD card as mentioned, and on the latest Petitboot it isn't able to detect the file.

Also if I remember correctly, some ODROID devices such as the HC4 have 16MiB of SPI Flash Memory, though I assume the images might currently all be the same for all device or something maybe?

Thanks!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

liminalsunset wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:43 am
Hi,

Thank you for the advice. I have just tried to put the contents of the PXE Boot config into a file called 'pxeboot.cfg' at the root of an empty microSD card as mentioned, and on the latest Petitboot it isn't able to detect the file.
Oh, no...it's not supported yet. I was proposing to do so...so I can help you to have the feature or something similar if you are fine to use SD card to store the configuration and not possible to set up yet another server.
Also if I remember correctly, some ODROID devices such as the HC4 have 16MiB of SPI Flash Memory, though I assume the images might currently all be the same for all device or something maybe?

Thanks!
True, HC4 has 16MiB SPI memory and...are you going to use HC4? not N2? The Petitboot image for N2 and HC4 are not able to be compatible since they are based on different CPU. For HC4, maybe more space would be available but not tried to ship 'libssl' yet with the device. I have to spend sometime for buildind and testing I am not sure if security modules can be shipped together.

Do you have any specific reason to use SFTP? Obviously for security purpose?

liminalsunset

Post by liminalsunset »

Yes, the SD card method would be awesome! I am currently using an HC4, and I was linked to this thread since apparently it is the main thread for Petitboot on ODROID devices.
I was originally looking to use SFTP for security purposes, yes, since other options such as TFTP, NFS, etc are difficult to secure over the Internet.

Is there currently support for persisting the Petitboot configuration e.g. autoboot, boot order etc to NVRAM? Just wondering what the behaviour might be if the device is set to autoboot from the netboot config in SD card, and secondly hard drive. Will the device "fall back" on the HDD after the network is unreachable?

Thanks!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I think it can load an OS from a http server, like tobetter's netboot installer does (over the internet)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

liminalsunset wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:58 am
Yes, the SD card method would be awesome! I am currently using an HC4, and I was linked to this thread since apparently it is the main thread for Petitboot on ODROID devices.
I was originally looking to use SFTP for security purposes, yes, since other options such as TFTP, NFS, etc are difficult to secure over the Internet.

Is there currently support for persisting the Petitboot configuration e.g. autoboot, boot order etc to NVRAM? Just wondering what the behaviour might be if the device is set to autoboot from the netboot config in SD card, and secondly hard drive. Will the device "fall back" on the HDD after the network is unreachable?

Thanks!
I cannot gurantee to support SFTP since I do not have the protocol with the Petitboot yet, supported protocols are "HTTP"/"FTP"/"NFS" but NFS is not tested. HTTPS and SFTP are not supported for the same reason. Supported boot configuration file types are "Yaboot", "Kboot", "PXE".
From the System Configuration, you can set the boot order like disk or partition, so the Petitboot go through the order and it's saved into SPI flash memory in the ENV area.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

@andy5macht & @psifi, Can you please test new version of the Petitboot if it works with your eMMC?
Please download the image file from the link and copy this to the first partition of your SD card as spiboot.img. Then power on your ODROID-N2, then the previous Petitboot will load new image spiboot.img and update will start.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201223.img

Thank you. :)
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
psifi (Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:39 pm)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Update version from 20201222 is uploaded. The firmware can be updated in the Petitboot itself by running the command 'pb-update', or you can download firmware file from spiboot-20201222.img and copy it to your SD card as spiboot.img.

What's improved:
  • Bug fixed that eMMC is not recognized in certain case. - this bug has been reported by several users and eMMC cannot recognized with kernel error messages.
  • Multiple kernel boot entry from 'grub.cfg'
How to apply GRUB multiboot configuration.
Please do not use this feature if you are not familiar with this and use this at your own risk. This could cause the boot failure and not easy to recover if you don't know what to do.

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install odroid-grub
$ sudo update-grub2 
[sudo] password for tobetter: 
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-odroid-panfrost-arm64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-odroid-arm64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-odroid-arm64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.9.0-odroid-arm64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.9.0-odroid-arm64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-odroid-arm64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-odroid-arm64
Found Ubuntu 20.10 (20.10) on /dev/sda2
done
Attachments
IMG_20201223_2346021.jpg
IMG_20201223_2346021.jpg (166.58 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
m_ueberall (Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:10 am)

psifi

Post by psifi »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:35 pm
@andy5macht & @psifi, Can you please test new version of the Petitboot if it works with your eMMC?
Please download the image file from the link and copy this to the first partition of your SD card as spiboot.img. Then power on your ODROID-N2, then the previous Petitboot will load new image spiboot.img and update will start.
no too easy to answer, so i tell you what i have done:

My problem:
CoreELEC 9.2.5 on eMMC is not detected by Petitboot versions newer than 20200816 (no problem with Petitboot up to 20200816, also after flashing back from newer version to 20200816 and, as always no problem booting CoreELEC without Petitboot and switch to MMC).

Steps:
1. flashing from Petitboot 20201218 to Petitboot 20201223 (your test version) and repowering the Odroid N2
-> no change - Ubuntu and Manjaro on USB detected, CoreELEC 9.2.5 on EMMC not detected by Petitboot
2. rescan devices -> no change
3. repowering again and rescan devices again -> no change: Coreelec on eMMC not detected, only both linux-systems on USB
4. inserted another USB stick with an old Coreelec-nightly installation -> instantly detected!
5. booted Coreelec-nightly on USB and updated it -> no problem!
6. repowering Odroid again -> oh -> petitboot detects both Coreelec-installations, the one on USB and other formerly not detected
Coreelec 9.2.5 on eMMC
7. booted both versions -> both ok, no problems!
8. USB-stick with Coreelec removed and repowered Odroid again -> detection of Coreelec 9.2.5 in eMMC persists, all problems solved!

Petitboot even knows that CoreELEC 9.2.5 should be autostarted (like set before up to Petitboot 20200816).

So, I am happy that everything works again but do you have any explanation for that (beyond magic)?
Anyway, many thanks for your quick help!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

psifi wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:30 am
tobetter wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:35 pm
no too easy to answer, so i tell you what i have done:

My problem:
CoreELEC 9.2.5 on eMMC is not detected by Petitboot versions newer than 20200816 (no problem with Petitboot up to 20200816, also after flashing back from newer version to 20200816 and, as always no problem booting CoreELEC without Petitboot and switch to MMC).

Steps:
1. flashing from Petitboot 20201218 to Petitboot 20201223 (your test version) and repowering the Odroid N2
-> no change - Ubuntu and Manjaro on USB detected, CoreELEC 9.2.5 on EMMC not detected by Petitboot
2. rescan devices -> no change
3. repowering again and rescan devices again -> no change: Coreelec on eMMC not detected, only both linux-systems on USB
4. inserted another USB stick with an old Coreelec-nightly installation -> instantly detected!
5. booted Coreelec-nightly on USB and updated it -> no problem!
6. repowering Odroid again -> oh -> petitboot detects both Coreelec-installations, the one on USB and other formerly not detected
Coreelec 9.2.5 on eMMC
7. booted both versions -> both ok, no problems!
8. USB-stick with Coreelec removed and repowered Odroid again -> detection of Coreelec 9.2.5 in eMMC persists, all problems solved!

Petitboot even knows that CoreELEC 9.2.5 should be autostarted (like set before up to Petitboot 20200816).

So, I am happy that everything works again but do you have any explanation for that (beyond magic)?
Anyway, many thanks for your quick help!
Well...I also hard to answer what you made...but please keep using the new version and let me know something bad happen again.
Thank you for letting me know the issue, that helps me fix the issue soon before more people have the same issue. :D

psifi

Post by psifi »

psifi wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:30 am

My problem:
.....(testing Petitboot 20202312)
I think that was too fast. Further testing shows that after some reboots Coreelec on eMMC is not detected, again.
After that i booted Coreelec with switch to MMC without Petitboot.
Then swich back to SPI -> Coreelec is detected again.
Next reboot -> Coreelec not detected.

So eMMC is sometimes detected and sometimes not, now.
I fear i have to flash back to Petitboot 20200816 or to boot Coreelec without Petitboot, sorry :cry:
Last edited by psifi on Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banimale
languages_spoken: english, portuguese, spanish
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by Banimale »

(first post in the forum so please bear with me... newbie doing my first steps as I only got my N2+ yesterday late)

@tobetter
PB version 20201223 link is down and file no longer available but I get you know that. (http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 201223.img)

I got my N2+ with PB v.20200731 yesterday with just CoreElec uSD card, but I bought Android eMMC on the side.
Tried it several times with only uSD and it was working ok.
After installing and Android9 eMMC card inside, booted with SPI and PB recognized both OS.
updated Android and restarted
PB would crash everytime in the menu. Only when removing the uSD with CoreElec from the device would it work. I could boot to Android (eMMC) fine with either option in the switch SPI or MMC, as long as I did not have the CoreElec uSD in the device.
the moment I inserted the uSD PetitBoot would no longer work.

Booted then into PB (after removing the uSD with CoreElec from the device) and run the "pb-update" command which updated my PB to your fresh 20201222 version.
After restarting PB with versions 20201222 it no longer recognized my Android eMMC.
But as soon as I inserted the CoreElec uSD, this one was recognized and I could boot CoreElec.

Tried several software restarts with same result.

Then I unplugged the power supply, waited a bit and plugged it again.
And now everything is working. PB is running ok, recognizing and booting successfully both CoreElec and Android.
So, after the PB update the device needed a full restart with power disconnect.

hope this can help others that are struggling with newer versions of PB to boot both uSD and eMMC.

please note that I did not remove eMMC at any time. maybe that could have changed the trouble solving sequence (or not)

thank you @tobetter for all your work with PetitBoot. awesome job!

happy holidays everyone

FrankElectron
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: C2 HC1 N2

Post by FrankElectron »

Hi, can Petitboot boot vmlinux and initrmfs.img?

m_ueberall
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by m_ueberall »

FrankElectron wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:15 am
Hi, can Petitboot boot vmlinux and initrmfs.img?
Given that it's "based on" (read: "is a wrapper for") kexec, it can and does (see https://github.com/open-power/petitboot ... erview.rst and/or https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/k ... ml#EXAMPLE).
These users thanked the author m_ueberall for the post:
FrankElectron (Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 pm)

thudchimp
ODROIDs: N2

Post by thudchimp »

Just dropping this here in case it's useful to someone else with all the fun black screen problems in petitboot. This is on the N2.

This is what worked for me:

1. Flashed the full recovery for date 20190417. This shows on the screen but my usb keyboard doesn't work.
2. Did the *upgrade* image for the latest petitboot (not the recovery). It then booted and I can choose between the eMMC and SD Card and both keyboard and display work. Yay!

I tried lots, and lots and lots of things from this thread and elsewhere. Changing resolutions, tried about 3 different full recovery images that were more recent (no display and solid blue light when booting). It worked if it booted off the sdcard but not from the SPI boot mode.

Anyway, something with the later full recoveries caused me problems that the older full recovery didn't. *Upgrading* from the much older full recovery worked when using any of them directly didn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

liminalsunset

Post by liminalsunset »

Hi

Just wondering if the support for the pxeboot.cfg is part of the 20201222 update. I did notice that since the last two updates, the HDMI needs to be reconnected after Petitboot start to get any display output. I am using HDMI to VGA adapter, so maybe this is the problem. The display is working fine in the OS though.

Thanks!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

liminalsunset wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:36 pm
Hi

Just wondering if the support for the pxeboot.cfg is part of the 20201222 update. I did notice that since the last two updates, the HDMI needs to be reconnected after Petitboot start to get any display output. I am using HDMI to VGA adapter, so maybe this is the problem. The display is working fine in the OS though.

Thanks!
Does your display work ever with the previous Petitboot?
Are you asking about 'pxeboot.cfg' or 'petitboot.cfg'?

back2future

Post by back2future »

Is it possible to update/upgrade uInitrd.igz on u-boot command line or extracting uInitrd.igz from spiboot-*.img/spiupdate_odroidn2_*.img.xz? Thx

FrankElectron

Post by FrankElectron »

I try to boot Void Linux Kernel (vmlinux and initramfs.img) through Petitboot.

/etc/kboot.conf:

Void Linux='mmcblk1p2:/boot/vmlinux-5.9.16_1 ramdisk=mmcblk1p2:/boot/initramfs-5.9.16_1.img dtb=mmcblk1p2:/boot/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw console=tty0 console=ttyAML0,115200n8 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xff803000 voutmode=hdmi hdmimode=1080p60hz fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 clk_ignore_unused'
serial console output:

/ # [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]
[    0.000000] Linux version 5.9.16_1 (voidlinux@voidlinux) (aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 9.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.32) #1 SMP 1608581149
[    0.000000] Machine model: Hardkernel ODROID-N2
[    0.000000] efi: UEFI not found.
[    0.000000] Reserved memory: created CMA memory pool at 0x00000000dd800000, size 256 MiB
[    0.000000] OF: reserved mem: initialized node linux,cma, compatible id shared-dma-pool
[    0.000000] NUMA: No NUMA configuration found
[    0.000000] NUMA: Faking a node at [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000] NUMA: NODE_DATA [mem 0xdd033480-0xdd037fff]
[    0.000000] Zone ranges:
[    0.000000]   DMA      [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x000000003fffffff]
[    0.000000]   DMA32    [mem 0x0000000040000000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000]   Normal   empty
[    0.000000]   Device   empty
[    0.000000] Movable zone start for each node
[    0.000000] Early memory node ranges
[    0.000000]   node   0: [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x0000000004ffffff]
[    0.000000]   node   0: [mem 0x0000000005300000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000] Initmem setup node 0 [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000] psci: probing for conduit method from DT.
[    0.000000] psci: PSCIv1.0 detected in firmware.
[    0.000000] psci: Using standard PSCI v0.2 function IDs
[    0.000000] psci: MIGRATE_INFO_TYPE not supported.
[    0.000000] psci: SMC Calling Convention v1.1
[    0.000000] percpu: Embedded 33 pages/cpu s94296 r8192 d32680 u135168
[    0.000000] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU0
[    0.000000] CPU features: detected: ARM erratum 845719
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 956832
[    0.000000] Policy zone: DMA32
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ramdisk=mmcblk1p2:/boot/initramfs-5.9.16_1.img rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw console=tty0 console=ttyAML0,115200n8 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart, 
[    0.000000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 524288 (order: 10, 4194304 bytes, linear)
[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 262144 (order: 9, 2097152 bytes, linear)
[    0.000000] mem auto-init: stack:off, heap alloc:off, heap free:off
[    0.000000] software IO TLB: mapped [mem 0x3bfff000-0x3ffff000] (64MB)
[    0.000000] Memory: 1987784K/3888128K available (12544K kernel code, 2318K rwdata, 9656K rodata, 6528K init, 9467K bss, 187172K reserved, 262144K cma-reserved)
[    0.000000] random: get_random_u64 called from kmem_cache_open+0x30/0x228 with crng_init=0
[    0.000000] SLUB: HWalign=64, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=6, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] ftrace: allocating 43768 entries in 171 pages
[    0.000000] ftrace: allocated 171 pages with 5 groups
[    0.000000] rcu: Hierarchical RCU implementation.
[    0.000000] rcu:     RCU event tracing is enabled.
[    0.000000] rcu:     RCU restricting CPUs from NR_CPUS=480 to nr_cpu_ids=6.
[    0.000000]  Trampoline variant of Tasks RCU enabled.
[    0.000000]  Rude variant of Tasks RCU enabled.
[    0.000000]  Tracing variant of Tasks RCU enabled.
[    0.000000] rcu: RCU calculated value of scheduler-enlistment delay is 10 jiffies.
[    0.000000] rcu: Adjusting geometry for rcu_fanout_leaf=16, nr_cpu_ids=6
[    0.000000] NR_IRQS: 64, nr_irqs: 64, preallocated irqs: 0
[    0.000000] GIC: Using split EOI/Deactivate mode
[    0.000000] irq_meson_gpio: 100 to 8 gpio interrupt mux initialized
[    0.000000] arch_timer: cp15 timer(s) running at 24.00MHz (phys).
[    0.000000] clocksource: arch_sys_counter: mask: 0xffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x588fe9dc0, max_idle_ns: 440795202592 ns
[    0.000002] sched_clock: 56 bits at 24MHz, resolution 41ns, wraps every 4398046511097ns
[    0.000367] Console: colour dummy device 80x25
[    0.000550] printk: console [tty0] enabled
[    0.000634] Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated using timer frequency.. 48.00 BogoMIPS (lpj=240000)
[    0.000645] pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
[    0.000723] LSM: Security Framework initializing
[    0.000739] Yama: becoming mindful.
[    0.000858] Mount-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.000876] Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.002263] rcu: Hierarchical SRCU implementation.
[    0.005212] EFI services will not be available.
[    0.005711] smp: Bringing up secondary CPUs ...
[    0.006319] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU1
[    0.006365] CPU1: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000001 [0x410fd034]
[    0.007509] CPU features: detected: ARM erratum 858921
[    0.007517] ARM_SMCCC_ARCH_WORKAROUND_1 missing from firmware
[    0.007524] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU2
[    0.007550] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.007565] arch_timer: CPU2: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.007574] CPU2: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000100 [0x410fd092]
[    0.008201] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU3
[    0.008216] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.008223] arch_timer: CPU3: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.008229] CPU3: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000101 [0x410fd092]
[    0.008817] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU4
[    0.008832] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.008839] arch_timer: CPU4: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.008845] CPU4: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000102 [0x410fd092]
[    0.009435] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU5
[    0.009451] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.009457] arch_timer: CPU5: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.009464] CPU5: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000103 [0x410fd092]
[    0.009544] smp: Brought up 1 node, 6 CPUs
[    0.009623] SMP: Total of 6 processors activated.
[    0.009631] CPU features: detected: 32-bit EL0 Support
[    0.009638] CPU features: detected: CRC32 instructions
[    0.009644] CPU features: detected: 32-bit EL1 Support
[    0.020551] CPU: All CPU(s) started at EL2
[    0.020627] alternatives: patching kernel code
[    0.064043] node 0 deferred pages initialised in 40ms
[    0.064854] devtmpfs: initialized
[    0.072088] Registered cp15_barrier emulation handler
[    0.072111] Registered setend emulation handler
[    0.072122] KASLR disabled due to lack of seed
[    0.072557] clocksource: jiffies: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles: 0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 19112604462750000 ns
[    0.072575] futex hash table entries: 2048 (order: 5, 131072 bytes, linear)
[    0.076636] pinctrl core: initialized pinctrl subsystem
[    0.077766] DMI not present or invalid.
[    0.078137] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    0.079429] DMA: preallocated 512 KiB GFP_KERNEL pool for atomic allocations
[    0.079592] DMA: preallocated 512 KiB GFP_KERNEL|GFP_DMA pool for atomic allocations
[    0.079807] DMA: preallocated 512 KiB GFP_KERNEL|GFP_DMA32 pool for atomic allocations
[    0.079857] audit: initializing netlink subsys (disabled)
[    0.080027] audit: type=2000 audit(0.080:1): state=initialized audit_enabled=0 res=1
[    0.081090] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'fair_share'
[    0.081092] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'bang_bang'
[    0.081107] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'step_wise'
[    0.081112] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'user_space'
[    0.081443] cpuidle: using governor ladder
[    0.081464] cpuidle: using governor menu
[    0.081671] hw-breakpoint: found 6 breakpoint and 4 watchpoint registers.
[    0.081780] ASID allocator initialised with 65536 entries
[    0.082957] Serial: AMBA PL011 UART driver
[    0.108425] HugeTLB registered 1.00 GiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.108439] HugeTLB registered 32.0 MiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.108447] HugeTLB registered 2.00 MiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.108454] HugeTLB registered 64.0 KiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.112315] ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
[    0.113210] iommu: Default domain type: Passthrough 
[    0.113458] vgaarb: loaded
[    0.113784] SCSI subsystem initialized
[    0.114084] pps_core: LinuxPPS API ver. 1 registered
[    0.114094] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007 Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@linux.it>
[    0.114109] PTP clock support registered
[    0.114213] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
[    0.115195] NetLabel: Initializing
[    0.115203] NetLabel:  domain hash size = 128
[    0.115209] NetLabel:  protocols = UNLABELED CIPSOv4 CALIPSO
[    0.115248] NetLabel:  unlabeled traffic allowed by default
[    0.115593] clocksource: Switched to clocksource arch_sys_counter
[    0.162158] VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.6.0
[    0.162214] VFS: Dquot-cache hash table entries: 512 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.162407] pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
[    0.166529] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    0.166885] tcp_listen_portaddr_hash hash table entries: 2048 (order: 3, 32768 bytes, linear)
[    0.166917] TCP established hash table entries: 32768 (order: 6, 262144 bytes, linear)
[    0.167062] TCP bind hash table entries: 32768 (order: 7, 524288 bytes, linear)
[    0.167254] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 32768)
[    0.167397] MPTCP token hash table entries: 4096 (order: 4, 98304 bytes, linear)
[    0.167454] UDP hash table entries: 2048 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.167493] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 2048 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.167639] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    0.167659] NET: Registered protocol family 44
[    0.167671] PCI: CLS 0 bytes, default 64
[    0.168428] kvm [1]: IPA Size Limit: 40bits
[    0.169619] kvm [1]: vgic interrupt IRQ1
[    0.169729] kvm [1]: Hyp mode initialized successfully
[    0.170613] Initialise system trusted keyrings
[    0.170738] workingset: timestamp_bits=40 max_order=20 bucket_order=0
[    0.174039] zbud: loaded
[    0.203483] Key type asymmetric registered
[    0.203494] Asymmetric key parser 'x509' registered
[    0.203524] Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 245)
[    0.203688] io scheduler mq-deadline registered
[    0.203698] io scheduler kyber registered
[    0.203789] io scheduler bfq registered
[    0.206024] gpio-447 (usb-hub-reset): hogged as output/high
[    0.208167] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[    0.220641] soc soc0: Amlogic Meson G12B (S922X) Revision 29:a (40:2) Detected
[    0.222833] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 32 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
[    0.227893] Serial: AMBA driver
[    0.228379] ff803000.serial: ttyAML0 at MMIO 0xff803000 (irq = 14, base_baud = 1500000) is a meson_uart
[    1.156729] printk: console [ttyAML0] enabled
[    1.161470] msm_serial: driver initialized
[    1.167906] libphy: Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
[    1.169429] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[    1.176950] ledtrig-cpu: registered to indicate activity on CPUs
[    1.180859] meson-sm: secure-monitor enabled
[    1.185242] hid: raw HID events driver (C) Jiri Kosina
[    1.192199] drop_monitor: Initializing network drop monitor service
[    1.196609] NET: Registered protocol family 10
[    1.202111] Segment Routing with IPv6
[    1.204163] RPL Segment Routing with IPv6
[    1.208579] registered taskstats version 1
[    1.212214] Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates
[    1.216994] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[    1.221379] page_owner is disabled
[    1.224749] Key type ._fscrypt registered
[    1.228596] Key type .fscrypt registered
[    1.232450] Key type fscrypt-provisioning registered
[    1.237885] Key type encrypted registered
[    1.252373] clk: Not disabling unused clocks
[    1.256676] Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk1p2...

It stuck at Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk1p2...
Red LED is on Blue LED is off
I have no Clue. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Thank you.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

FrankElectron wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:48 pm
I try to boot Void Linux Kernel (vmlinux and initramfs.img) through Petitboot.

/etc/kboot.conf:

Void Linux='mmcblk1p2:/boot/vmlinux-5.9.16_1 ramdisk=mmcblk1p2:/boot/initramfs-5.9.16_1.img dtb=mmcblk1p2:/boot/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw console=tty0 console=ttyAML0,115200n8 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xff803000 voutmode=hdmi hdmimode=1080p60hz fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 clk_ignore_unused'
serial console output:

/ # [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]
[    0.000000] Linux version 5.9.16_1 (voidlinux@voidlinux) (aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 9.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.32) #1 SMP 1608581149
[    0.000000] Machine model: Hardkernel ODROID-N2
[    0.000000] efi: UEFI not found.
[    0.000000] Reserved memory: created CMA memory pool at 0x00000000dd800000, size 256 MiB
[    0.000000] OF: reserved mem: initialized node linux,cma, compatible id shared-dma-pool
[    0.000000] NUMA: No NUMA configuration found
[    0.000000] NUMA: Faking a node at [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000] NUMA: NODE_DATA [mem 0xdd033480-0xdd037fff]
[    0.000000] Zone ranges:
[    0.000000]   DMA      [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x000000003fffffff]
[    0.000000]   DMA32    [mem 0x0000000040000000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000]   Normal   empty
[    0.000000]   Device   empty
[    0.000000] Movable zone start for each node
[    0.000000] Early memory node ranges
[    0.000000]   node   0: [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x0000000004ffffff]
[    0.000000]   node   0: [mem 0x0000000005300000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000] Initmem setup node 0 [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x00000000ed7fffff]
[    0.000000] psci: probing for conduit method from DT.
[    0.000000] psci: PSCIv1.0 detected in firmware.
[    0.000000] psci: Using standard PSCI v0.2 function IDs
[    0.000000] psci: MIGRATE_INFO_TYPE not supported.
[    0.000000] psci: SMC Calling Convention v1.1
[    0.000000] percpu: Embedded 33 pages/cpu s94296 r8192 d32680 u135168
[    0.000000] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU0
[    0.000000] CPU features: detected: ARM erratum 845719
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 956832
[    0.000000] Policy zone: DMA32
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ramdisk=mmcblk1p2:/boot/initramfs-5.9.16_1.img rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw console=tty0 console=ttyAML0,115200n8 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart, 
[    0.000000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 524288 (order: 10, 4194304 bytes, linear)
[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 262144 (order: 9, 2097152 bytes, linear)
[    0.000000] mem auto-init: stack:off, heap alloc:off, heap free:off
[    0.000000] software IO TLB: mapped [mem 0x3bfff000-0x3ffff000] (64MB)
[    0.000000] Memory: 1987784K/3888128K available (12544K kernel code, 2318K rwdata, 9656K rodata, 6528K init, 9467K bss, 187172K reserved, 262144K cma-reserved)
[    0.000000] random: get_random_u64 called from kmem_cache_open+0x30/0x228 with crng_init=0
[    0.000000] SLUB: HWalign=64, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=6, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] ftrace: allocating 43768 entries in 171 pages
[    0.000000] ftrace: allocated 171 pages with 5 groups
[    0.000000] rcu: Hierarchical RCU implementation.
[    0.000000] rcu:     RCU event tracing is enabled.
[    0.000000] rcu:     RCU restricting CPUs from NR_CPUS=480 to nr_cpu_ids=6.
[    0.000000]  Trampoline variant of Tasks RCU enabled.
[    0.000000]  Rude variant of Tasks RCU enabled.
[    0.000000]  Tracing variant of Tasks RCU enabled.
[    0.000000] rcu: RCU calculated value of scheduler-enlistment delay is 10 jiffies.
[    0.000000] rcu: Adjusting geometry for rcu_fanout_leaf=16, nr_cpu_ids=6
[    0.000000] NR_IRQS: 64, nr_irqs: 64, preallocated irqs: 0
[    0.000000] GIC: Using split EOI/Deactivate mode
[    0.000000] irq_meson_gpio: 100 to 8 gpio interrupt mux initialized
[    0.000000] arch_timer: cp15 timer(s) running at 24.00MHz (phys).
[    0.000000] clocksource: arch_sys_counter: mask: 0xffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x588fe9dc0, max_idle_ns: 440795202592 ns
[    0.000002] sched_clock: 56 bits at 24MHz, resolution 41ns, wraps every 4398046511097ns
[    0.000367] Console: colour dummy device 80x25
[    0.000550] printk: console [tty0] enabled
[    0.000634] Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated using timer frequency.. 48.00 BogoMIPS (lpj=240000)
[    0.000645] pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
[    0.000723] LSM: Security Framework initializing
[    0.000739] Yama: becoming mindful.
[    0.000858] Mount-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.000876] Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.002263] rcu: Hierarchical SRCU implementation.
[    0.005212] EFI services will not be available.
[    0.005711] smp: Bringing up secondary CPUs ...
[    0.006319] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU1
[    0.006365] CPU1: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000001 [0x410fd034]
[    0.007509] CPU features: detected: ARM erratum 858921
[    0.007517] ARM_SMCCC_ARCH_WORKAROUND_1 missing from firmware
[    0.007524] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU2
[    0.007550] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.007565] arch_timer: CPU2: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.007574] CPU2: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000100 [0x410fd092]
[    0.008201] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU3
[    0.008216] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.008223] arch_timer: CPU3: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.008229] CPU3: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000101 [0x410fd092]
[    0.008817] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU4
[    0.008832] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.008839] arch_timer: CPU4: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.008845] CPU4: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000102 [0x410fd092]
[    0.009435] Detected VIPT I-cache on CPU5
[    0.009451] arch_timer: Enabling local workaround for ARM erratum 858921
[    0.009457] arch_timer: CPU5: Trapping CNTVCT access
[    0.009464] CPU5: Booted secondary processor 0x0000000103 [0x410fd092]
[    0.009544] smp: Brought up 1 node, 6 CPUs
[    0.009623] SMP: Total of 6 processors activated.
[    0.009631] CPU features: detected: 32-bit EL0 Support
[    0.009638] CPU features: detected: CRC32 instructions
[    0.009644] CPU features: detected: 32-bit EL1 Support
[    0.020551] CPU: All CPU(s) started at EL2
[    0.020627] alternatives: patching kernel code
[    0.064043] node 0 deferred pages initialised in 40ms
[    0.064854] devtmpfs: initialized
[    0.072088] Registered cp15_barrier emulation handler
[    0.072111] Registered setend emulation handler
[    0.072122] KASLR disabled due to lack of seed
[    0.072557] clocksource: jiffies: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles: 0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 19112604462750000 ns
[    0.072575] futex hash table entries: 2048 (order: 5, 131072 bytes, linear)
[    0.076636] pinctrl core: initialized pinctrl subsystem
[    0.077766] DMI not present or invalid.
[    0.078137] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    0.079429] DMA: preallocated 512 KiB GFP_KERNEL pool for atomic allocations
[    0.079592] DMA: preallocated 512 KiB GFP_KERNEL|GFP_DMA pool for atomic allocations
[    0.079807] DMA: preallocated 512 KiB GFP_KERNEL|GFP_DMA32 pool for atomic allocations
[    0.079857] audit: initializing netlink subsys (disabled)
[    0.080027] audit: type=2000 audit(0.080:1): state=initialized audit_enabled=0 res=1
[    0.081090] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'fair_share'
[    0.081092] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'bang_bang'
[    0.081107] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'step_wise'
[    0.081112] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor 'user_space'
[    0.081443] cpuidle: using governor ladder
[    0.081464] cpuidle: using governor menu
[    0.081671] hw-breakpoint: found 6 breakpoint and 4 watchpoint registers.
[    0.081780] ASID allocator initialised with 65536 entries
[    0.082957] Serial: AMBA PL011 UART driver
[    0.108425] HugeTLB registered 1.00 GiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.108439] HugeTLB registered 32.0 MiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.108447] HugeTLB registered 2.00 MiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.108454] HugeTLB registered 64.0 KiB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[    0.112315] ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
[    0.113210] iommu: Default domain type: Passthrough 
[    0.113458] vgaarb: loaded
[    0.113784] SCSI subsystem initialized
[    0.114084] pps_core: LinuxPPS API ver. 1 registered
[    0.114094] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007 Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@linux.it>
[    0.114109] PTP clock support registered
[    0.114213] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
[    0.115195] NetLabel: Initializing
[    0.115203] NetLabel:  domain hash size = 128
[    0.115209] NetLabel:  protocols = UNLABELED CIPSOv4 CALIPSO
[    0.115248] NetLabel:  unlabeled traffic allowed by default
[    0.115593] clocksource: Switched to clocksource arch_sys_counter
[    0.162158] VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.6.0
[    0.162214] VFS: Dquot-cache hash table entries: 512 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.162407] pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
[    0.166529] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    0.166885] tcp_listen_portaddr_hash hash table entries: 2048 (order: 3, 32768 bytes, linear)
[    0.166917] TCP established hash table entries: 32768 (order: 6, 262144 bytes, linear)
[    0.167062] TCP bind hash table entries: 32768 (order: 7, 524288 bytes, linear)
[    0.167254] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 32768)
[    0.167397] MPTCP token hash table entries: 4096 (order: 4, 98304 bytes, linear)
[    0.167454] UDP hash table entries: 2048 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.167493] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 2048 (order: 4, 65536 bytes, linear)
[    0.167639] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    0.167659] NET: Registered protocol family 44
[    0.167671] PCI: CLS 0 bytes, default 64
[    0.168428] kvm [1]: IPA Size Limit: 40bits
[    0.169619] kvm [1]: vgic interrupt IRQ1
[    0.169729] kvm [1]: Hyp mode initialized successfully
[    0.170613] Initialise system trusted keyrings
[    0.170738] workingset: timestamp_bits=40 max_order=20 bucket_order=0
[    0.174039] zbud: loaded
[    0.203483] Key type asymmetric registered
[    0.203494] Asymmetric key parser 'x509' registered
[    0.203524] Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 245)
[    0.203688] io scheduler mq-deadline registered
[    0.203698] io scheduler kyber registered
[    0.203789] io scheduler bfq registered
[    0.206024] gpio-447 (usb-hub-reset): hogged as output/high
[    0.208167] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[    0.220641] soc soc0: Amlogic Meson G12B (S922X) Revision 29:a (40:2) Detected
[    0.222833] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 32 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
[    0.227893] Serial: AMBA driver
[    0.228379] ff803000.serial: ttyAML0 at MMIO 0xff803000 (irq = 14, base_baud = 1500000) is a meson_uart
[    1.156729] printk: console [ttyAML0] enabled
[    1.161470] msm_serial: driver initialized
[    1.167906] libphy: Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
[    1.169429] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[    1.176950] ledtrig-cpu: registered to indicate activity on CPUs
[    1.180859] meson-sm: secure-monitor enabled
[    1.185242] hid: raw HID events driver (C) Jiri Kosina
[    1.192199] drop_monitor: Initializing network drop monitor service
[    1.196609] NET: Registered protocol family 10
[    1.202111] Segment Routing with IPv6
[    1.204163] RPL Segment Routing with IPv6
[    1.208579] registered taskstats version 1
[    1.212214] Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates
[    1.216994] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[    1.221379] page_owner is disabled
[    1.224749] Key type ._fscrypt registered
[    1.228596] Key type .fscrypt registered
[    1.232450] Key type fscrypt-provisioning registered
[    1.237885] Key type encrypted registered
[    1.252373] clk: Not disabling unused clocks
[    1.256676] Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk1p2...

It stuck at Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk1p2...
Red LED is on Blue LED is off
I have no Clue. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Thank you.
Looks like your custom kernel does not initiate the mmc driver...so I doubt your kernel config or device tree.

FrankElectron

Post by FrankElectron »

@tobetter Thank you. It is the default Kernel from Void Linux i installed. No CustomBuild.
After installing the Kernel there is a config5.9.16_1:
https://pastebin.com/zmeim46d

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

FrankElectron wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:31 pm
@tobetter Thank you. It is the default Kernel from Void Linux i installed. No CustomBuild.
After installing the Kernel there is a config5.9.16_1:
https://pastebin.com/zmeim46d
I suspect this config for MMC driver, they are set as modules so cannot be loaded before the root file system is mounted unless your initramfs has the driver. I think you have to check if it contains the drivers and loaded on booting.

CONFIG_MMC_DW=m
CONFIG_MMC_DW_PLTFM=m

andy5macht

Post by andy5macht »

@tobetter:
eMMC still not detected with 20201222

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

andy5macht wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:11 am
@tobetter:
eMMC still not detected with 20201222
Indeed, sorry about that. I've been reported by a couple of users they have the same issue. I am sorry to say you should revert the version to '20201020', I am still debugging the issue and it happens very rarely to me it will take more time. Let me resolve this as soon as possible. In case any time CoreELEC cannot boot 20201020 after the CoreELEC update, please let me know...so I can prepare a workaround image if I am not able to fix the eMMC problem. Thank you for your understanding.

Return to “Projects”