I just got an ODROID C1 board, mostly using it with Kodi. In this thread I wanted to discuss speech recognition capabilities, microphones, microphone arrays and so on. Voice interfaces get more and more attention recently and believed to be one of the major shift in computer interfaces, many users get used to voice due to wide spread of smart homes etc. At the same time, machine learning algorithms are getting more and more complex and privacy concerns raise as long as data like voices are transferred to corporate endpoints.
One of my dreams are voice-managed Kodi smart TV, not there yet but getting there.
There are many open source speech recognition packages these days - DeepSpeech, Nvidia Nemo, Facebook Wav2letter, CMUSphinx. Some of them are mostly intended for research, some use outdated technology. There are many assistants too but sometimes it is hard to install them, sometimes they are not dealing with speech properly.
I'm working on open source speech recognition library Vosk https://github.com/alphacep/vosk-api:
- Vosk is an offline open source speech recognition toolkit. It enables speech recognition models for 17 languages and dialects - English, Indian English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Russian, Turkish, Vietnamese, Italian, Dutch, Catalan, Arabic, Greek, Farsi, Filipino. We might support Korean some time too.
- Vosk doesn't send the audio outside, all recognition happens on the devices
- Vosk models are small (50 Mb) but provide continuous large vocabulary transcription, zero-latency response with streaming API, reconfigurable vocabulary and speaker identification.
- Speech recognition bindings implemented for various programming languages like Python, Java, Node.JS, C#, C++ and others.
- Vosk supplies speech recognition for chatbots, smart home appliances, virtual assistants. It can also create subtitles for movies, transcription for lectures and interviews.
- Vosk scales from small devices like Raspberry Pi or Android smartphone to big clusters.
We also have android demo https://github.com/alphacep/vosk-android-demo, it should probably work too in Android.
Please let me know if you tested any of the speech recognition software on ODROID, what device in particular, what are your thoughts and ideas. Hope to try and discuss some related topics on ODROID too - deepspeech, microphone arrays from respeaker and matrix, text-to-speech.