[SOLVED] Can't boot from live USB

spacemanspiffee
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: H2+
Has thanked: 0

[SOLVED] Can't boot from live USB

Post by spacemanspiffee »

I just got myself an H2+ for the purpose of installing and running LinuxCNC on it.

I've installed LinuxCNC on other computers and haven't had any issues. I used the same .iso that I used on my last install which went fine, but I'm not able to get this guy going.

I can get to the bios by pressing the del key during boot up and the USB shows as a boot option, but when I boot from it, I only get a black screen with a single white underline in the top left. Nothing happens after that and the light on the USB stick stops flashing as well indicating that it's not being read any more.

I got a Kingston 250GB A2000 M.2 2280 Nvme for my SSD and TEAMGROUP Elite 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz (PC4-19200) for RAM.

Any help getting this going would be much appreciated :)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Can't boot from live USB

Post by mad_ady »

If you see it as a bootable item in bios, it means the installer supports uefi. If it doesn't boot, most likely the kernel being loaded is too old and doesn't support the H2 SOC. There are similar problems with older Debian installers.
You should see which kernel version your distro comes with. If I recall correctly, if it's older than 4.19, it's too old.

spacemanspiffee

The iso I have is linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64-r12.iso.
I'm not sure how to check the kernel version, nor how to update or change that. I'm a bit of a linux noob, but I'm always looking to learn.

I'll do some poking around and see if I can find the kernel version and/or an iso with a newer kernel.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

To narrow down root causes, try flashing Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop iso image into your USB storage.
https://releases.ubuntu.com/20.10/

spacemanspiffee

Thank you for the suggestion of the kernel being too old.

I got an iso for a newer version of Linuxcnc the debian buster 2.8 version which has a newer kernel and I have it installed and running on my Odroid! :)

Now I'm working on getting the ethernet ports working because I am controlling my machine over an ethernet Mesa card.

Edit: I got my ethernet port working at least for the purpose of talking to the internet. Should be straightforward to get it to talk to my Mesa card now. I've done that setup process once before. But that is a task for tomorrow. Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
These users thanked the author spacemanspiffee for the post:
odroid (Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 pm)

fvolk
ODROIDs: C2, C4, H2

Post by fvolk »

spacemanspiffee wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 am
but when I boot from it, I only get a black screen with a single white underline in the top left.
This is a symptom of version of Grub is too old.

This issue is known since ~1,5years, and I have repeatedly posted it, for example
viewtopic.php?p=252705#p252705
viewtopic.php?p=278905#p278905
viewtopic.php?p=271664#p271664
we really need a Wiki or something to prevent this running in circles...

Return to “Issues”