Armbian does not boot with Petitboot (HC4)

Post Reply
dvpfig
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Armbian does not boot with Petitboot (HC4)

Post by dvpfig »

Hi,

I have the latest Armbian Image (Armbian_20.08.22_Odroidhc4_buster_current_5.9.6.img) flashed in SD card.

The HC4 seems to boot and gets IP assigned but I cannot access it via Putty, error: "Network error: connection refused".
This is a remote headless server, I don't have a screen nearby to check how does the boot go. But I will probably need to do that since there is no way to login via ssh Putty.

Anyone that successfully runs Armbian in HC4 and without changes is able to access it via putty ssh?
Last edited by dvpfig on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

igorpec
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:34 pm
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 114 times
Contact:

Re: Armbian issue in HC4

Post by igorpec »

Armbian build for HC4 is labelled "for testing only". Don't expect deployment quality with such label. Expect troubles.

Did you perhaps had one try boot before? This indicates that SSH is not up which can be because 1st boot didn't finish successfully ... start with a clean image.
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards
What is Armbian?

dvpfig
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Armbian issue in HC4

Post by dvpfig »

igorpec wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm
Armbian build for HC4 is labelled "for testing only". Don't expect deployment quality with such label. Expect troubles.

Did you perhaps had one try boot before? This indicates that SSH is not up which can be because 1st boot didn't finish successfully ... start with a clean image.
I took a screen to check why it does not boot with Armbian.

The HC4 boot is stuck in the Petitboot which does not recognize the Armbian image flashed in the SD card.

Is there a way to bypass the Petitboot and force boot from the SD card image?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6622
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 921 times
Contact:

Re: Armbian issue in HC4

Post by tobetter »

dvpfig wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:00 am
igorpec wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm
Armbian build for HC4 is labelled "for testing only". Don't expect deployment quality with such label. Expect troubles.

Did you perhaps had one try boot before? This indicates that SSH is not up which can be because 1st boot didn't finish successfully ... start with a clean image.
I took a screen to check why it does not boot with Armbian.

The HC4 boot is stuck in the Petitboot which does not recognize the Armbian image flashed in the SD card.

Is there a way to bypass the Petitboot and force boot from the SD card image?
From the Petitboot, go for "Exit to shell" and these commands to remove the Petitboot. This will make your SPI flash memory empty and would start from SD on next boot.

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
dvpfig (Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 am)

dvpfig
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Armbian issue in HC4

Post by dvpfig »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:04 am
dvpfig wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:00 am
igorpec wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm
Armbian build for HC4 is labelled "for testing only". Don't expect deployment quality with such label. Expect troubles.

Did you perhaps had one try boot before? This indicates that SSH is not up which can be because 1st boot didn't finish successfully ... start with a clean image.
I took a screen to check why it does not boot with Armbian.

The HC4 boot is stuck in the Petitboot which does not recognize the Armbian image flashed in the SD card.

Is there a way to bypass the Petitboot and force boot from the SD card image?
From the Petitboot, go for "Exit to shell" and these commands to remove the Petitboot. This will make your SPI flash memory empty and would start from SD on next boot.

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
And if I want to later install Petitboot back to SPI flash memory? Could I do it?

dvpfig
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Armbian issue in HC4

Post by dvpfig »

I was actually expecting that the answer to bypass Petitboot would be to flip the switch to boot instead of SPI from the SD card, as described in the flowchart of the booting sequence for HC4:
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-hc4/soft ... t_sequence

mad_ady
Posts: 8825
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 529 times
Contact:

Re: Armbian issue in HC4

Post by mad_ady »

dvpfig wrote:
tobetter wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:04 am
dvpfig wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:00 am
igorpec wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm
Armbian build for HC4 is labelled "for testing only". Don't expect deployment quality with such label. Expect troubles.

Did you perhaps had one try boot before? This indicates that SSH is not up which can be because 1st boot didn't finish successfully ... start with a clean image.
I took a screen to check why it does not boot with Armbian.

The HC4 boot is stuck in the Petitboot which does not recognize the Armbian image flashed in the SD card.

Is there a way to bypass the Petitboot and force boot from the SD card image?
From the Petitboot, go for "Exit to shell" and these commands to remove the Petitboot. This will make your SPI flash memory empty and would start from SD on next boot.

Code: Select all

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
And if I want to later install Petitboot back to SPI flash memory? Could I do it?
I think you can boot with a spi recovery image on sd and it will reflash the NAND with petitboot.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 6622
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 921 times
Contact:

Re: Armbian issue in HC4

Post by tobetter »

dvpfig wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:36 am
I was actually expecting that the answer to bypass Petitboot would be to flip the switch to boot instead of SPI from the SD card, as described in the flowchart of the booting sequence for HC4:
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-hc4/soft ... t_sequence
You can bypass it by pressing the button at the bottom, but this is for one time for like recovery not to boot from SD permanantly. Also you can recover the SPI flash memory back later.
viewtopic.php?f=207&t=40906

Post Reply

Return to “Other OS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests