[OS] Debian Buster for ODROID C4/HC4

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, HC4

Re: [OS] Debian Buster for ODROID C4/HC4

Post by meveric »

Version 1.1 is fine that's the correct version.
Hmm I tested this on my HC4 and it was working fine.
It can take quite a while though.
The petitboot has a long waiting time.
Then the image boots, does some background processes, reboots, you have to wait for petitboot again and then it starts the image again.
It takes even longer if you don't have Network cable connected.

Check the blue LED, if it's blinking, then the Kernel was loaded, which means, u-boot and bootfs are fine.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

peppoonline
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by peppoonline »

Okay....understood. Perhaps I miscalculated the waiting time!
As far as my end goal, I'd like to have the OS installed on my SSD...but first things first :)
Thanks for your help!

rooted

Post by rooted »

I forgot about this image and could have used it earlier today, subscribing so that doesn't happen again.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
tobetter (Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 pm)

maxymo

Post by maxymo »

Hi guys,I am new here, just installed Debian Buster on ODROID-HC4, after installation it rebooted and get the petitboot and loaded Debian but nothing is displayed in screen, luckily SSH was enabled on installation process and I can access via SSH.

Any idea why it doesn't show anything, I didn't install any desktop so I was expecting the typical black login screen from Debian.

Thanks for any help.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, HC4

Post by meveric »

normally that is what should happen.. just the login screen.
The fact that you could login via SSH means that he image booted up correctly so I don't see why it shouldn't show the regular login screen.
Maybe it has something to do with the monitor configuration.

There are some options for this in the boot.ini of the image where you can set resolution and other options.
Depending on the monitor you use you may have to adjust the monitor settings of the image.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

maxymo

Post by maxymo »

meveric wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:32 am
normally that is what should happen.. just the login screen.
The fact that you could login via SSH means that he image booted up correctly so I don't see why it shouldn't show the regular login screen.
Maybe it has something to do with the monitor configuration.

There are some options for this in the boot.ini of the image where you can set resolution and other options.
Depending on the monitor you use you may have to adjust the monitor settings of the image.
Thank you maveric. I don't seem to have boot.ini file but have boot.scr however there is not reference to anything about monitor or display configuration.

I found in other post entries for this file about resolution and I added the below, however linux stopped booting

setenv m "720p"
setenv vout_mode "hdmi"

I installed Ubuntu this time but have the same issue.

My monitor is a 4k, I will try later with an older monitor and see if that solves the issue.

thanks.

meveric

Post by meveric »

maxymo wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:35 am
Thank you maveric. I don't seem to have boot.ini file but have boot.scr however there is not reference to anything about monitor or display configuration.

I found in other post entries for this file about resolution and I added the below, however linux stopped booting

setenv m "720p"
setenv vout_mode "hdmi"
What you describe does not match the ODROID C4/HC4.

The boot.scr and especially setenv m "720p" is from the Exynos 4 series of ODROIDs and has nothing to do with the C4/HC4.
Also boot.scr can not be edited it's a binary file, if you change it it won't boot anymore

1MachineElf
ODROIDs: ODROID-HC4

Post by 1MachineElf »

Just want to say thank you for this. My ODROID-HC4 wasn't able to book Armbian like the OpenMediaVault 5 docs were suggesting to do. Your Debian 10 build booted and ran OMV5 just fine. Now I'm finally getting some use out of the thing. :D
These users thanked the author 1MachineElf for the post:
odroid (Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 am)

meveric

Post by meveric »

glad it's working for you :)
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid (Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 am)

Return to “Other OS”