Archlinux: GNOME Image for Odroid N2/N2+

Sav
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-n2

Re: Archlinux: GNOME Image for Odroid N2/N2+

Post by Sav »

jgmdev wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:38 am

That happens with mainline linux kernels or some displays, with the 4.9.x kernels it works (as far as I remember most of the time), not sure if other distros experience the same issue or what to enable on the 5.x kernels to fix it. I use this kernel parameter to force resolution video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 but last time I tested, that also didn't help with one of my displays (samsung). Haven't been using petitboot for a long time because of this :(
So I have to manually remove the emmc (on which I have Android) to boot from SD. Thanks for the info.

Psiborg
ODROIDs: N2+ 4GB

Post by Psiborg »

Too late for me to go in depth, had fun with your Panfrost build and other desktops. Got a glmark2 score of 272 in KDE Plasma with Panfrost default memory hogging background, it was extremely smooth, no tearing. I know this is nothing compared to wayland scores, but panfrost is coming up!
These users thanked the author Psiborg for the post:
jgmdev (Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:57 pm)

jgmdev
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, N2, N2+, C4, HC4

Post by jgmdev »

Psiborg wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:05 pm
Got a glmark2 score of 272 in KDE Plasma with Panfrost
Really nice! So those results are running KDE Plasma non-wayland? Last time I tested under XFCE it wasn't working that fast, will have to give it another shot!

Psiborg
ODROIDs: N2+ 4GB

Post by Psiborg »

yep, i am going to rebuild and poke around at it to see what else it can do. I have been busy on a full accelerated ubuntu wayland desktop install guide for new N2+ owners like me. Oh, and all X11 stuff runs at that "better" speed. Which is way faster than before heh. For anyone loving non wayland desktops and programs this is your best bet by far.
These users thanked the author Psiborg for the post (total 2):
jgmdev (Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:39 am) • odroid (Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 am)

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

Psiborg wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:07 am
Oh, and all X11 stuff runs at that "better" speed. Which is way faster than before heh. For anyone loving non wayland desktops and programs this is your best bet by far.
Then it wasn't my imagination because I did notice gnome shell animations rendering much more smoother :D

harald_knoll
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: ODROID N2+ 4GB
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by harald_knoll »

Hi, great, have to try image! I am looking for a vertical screen solution with HW GUI support. I play with an N2+ at the moment. Should it be possibe to rotate the screen 90 degree and keep the hardware acceleration? Take care and keep the good work!

jonathon
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by jonathon »

harald_knoll wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:19 am
Should it be possibe to rotate the screen 90 degree and keep the hardware acceleration?
Just tested, and screen rotation does not work correctly with 5.9 and the panfrost driver under X. It might work under Wayland but I haven't tested that. But - I wouldn't bank on it working.

Edit: wrong - it's working fine. 🀦
Last edited by jonathon on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
N2+ 4GB - Arch Linux ARM - MATE - Xorg - Kernel 5.11-zen - Desktop use
<sangy>jonathon: big fan, happy to see you back

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

harald_knoll wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:19 am
Should it be possibe to rotate the screen 90 degree and keep the hardware acceleration?
Using XFCE with compiz, changed the display settings and it worked, this was using the panfrost driver coupled with mesa panfrost. Using gnome should work also.

jonathon wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:40 am
Just tested, and screen rotation does not work correctly with 5.9 and the panfrost driver under X. It might work under Wayland but I haven't tested that. But - I wouldn't bank on it working.
Strange, maybe it depends on display brand, using a samsung here.

jonathon

Post by jonathon »

Ah, could well be because of the monitor I'm using - it's connected with an HDMI->DVI cable and 5.9 on the N2+ doesn't like it very much.

Edit: Wait, tested again. It works fine, it just didn't resize my wallpaper so the bottom half of the screen was black and I jumped to the wrong conclusion... 🀦
--

Sav

Post by Sav »

Hi jgmdev,
have you created a repository to update the kernel?
If not, can you give some instrucions to recompile and install the kernel? I would like to test the chewitt's branch viewtopic.php?p=314172#p314172 which have the latest panfrost patches.
Thanks
These users thanked the author Sav for the post:
superpowter77 (Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:02 am)

trwn2p
ODROIDs: N2 Plus

Post by trwn2p »

True. jgmdev gnome on arch is getting pretty stale for a promoted image to the community. If it's just a personal toy image please let us know so we don't bother you for regular updates.

jonathon

Post by jonathon »

Sav wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:19 am
Hi jgmdev,
If not, can you give some instrucions to recompile and install the kernel? I would like to test the chewitt's branch viewtopic.php?p=314172#p314172 which have the latest panfrost patches.
Thanks
It's packaged like any other Arch kernel, so grab the PKGBUILD, adjust the source, and `makepkg` it.
--

Sav

Post by Sav »

jonathon wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:17 pm
Hi jgmdev,
Thanks
It's packaged like any other Arch kernel, so grab the PKGBUILD, adjust the source, and `makepkg` it.
Do I find the pkgbuild conf file in the kernel directory?

jonathon

Post by jonathon »

Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:35 pm
Do I find the pkgbuild conf file in the kernel directory?
https://github.com/jgmdev/archlinux-odroid/
--

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

Hi jgmdev,
Thanks
I missed this post, I should enable the e-mail notifications. I did created a repo some weeks ago where my PKGBUILD's are been automatically uploaded http://archlinuxdroid.tk/archlinuxdroid/aarch64/ and the linux 5.10 rc6 with chewitt patches is there as linux-amlogic-panfrost-510-5.10-6-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst, if you have the repo enabled you can install it with sudo pacman -S linux-amlogic-panfrost-510. I have to update the branch where I'm merging tobetter and chewitt stuff to include rc7 or the newer official release (not sure if 5.10.0 has already been released).

Sav

Post by Sav »

Wonderful.
Thanks, I will try as soon as my kids will let me.

jonathon

Post by jonathon »

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:43 am
(not sure if 5.10.0 has already been released).
Just released: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=whCK ... l.com/T/#u
These users thanked the author jonathon for the post:
jgmdev (Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:46 pm)
--

andreas70
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: N2

Post by andreas70 »

Hello, thank you for your effort in creating that immage.

I am an arch noob. I tried your image bc of the missing GPU HW support in the offical ubuntu desktop version, I use ubuntu/debian for many years on x86.
Some issues that I found:
First I etched the image direct to an ssd, edited boot.ini and booted with petitboot -> failed to expand root partition and wrote crap (/dev/sda2P1 for /boot) into fstab. Fixed that but do not know what to change bevor first boot to avoid this.

As I am used to do, the first thing I did was pacman -Syu (for me the same as sudo apt update + sudo apt dist-upgrade?). Video performance was bad... So something seems to be wrong with updating, how to keep the system up to date (security patches, bug fixes and such)?

Second try I etched to emmc, first boot/installation was flawless as expected. Video acceleration in Firefox works ootb. Only thing that sucked so far was not working language selection in GUI, locales had to be set with CLI.

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

andreas70 wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:27 pm
First I etched the image direct to an ssd, edited boot.ini and booted with petitboot -> failed to expand root partition and wrote crap (/dev/sda2P1 for /boot) into fstab. Fixed that but do not know what to change bevor first boot to avoid this.
Hi, the script that expands partition on boot can be seen here:

https://github.com/jgmdev/alarm-image-g ... -img-setup

The script doesn't takes into consideration booting into a usb drive, works properly on emmc or sdcard, but it shouldn't be too hard to make it also work on usb drives. If you are able to fix it a pull request would be welcome or if too much complication with git you can also post here the required change to make it work under usb drives.
andreas70 wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:27 pm
As I am used to do, the first thing I did was pacman -Syu (for me the same as sudo apt update + sudo apt dist-upgrade?). Video performance was bad... So something seems to be wrong with updating, how to keep the system up to date (security patches, bug fixes and such)?
If the image that you are using is making use of the mali drivers you would need to switch to the panfrost setup which would be easier for future updates and still have reasonable acceleration and better compatibility. When using the panfrost image you can switch to a newer kernel version with latest chewitt applied patches by installing linux-amlogic-panfrost-510 sudo pacman -S linux-amlogic-panfrost-510. I stopped updating the 5.9 kernel package because at this point 5.10 has better support for the board.

Also to get better panfrost performance see how to increase the minimum gpu frequency set by the panfrost driver on this post: viewtopic.php?p=314939#p314939

andreas70
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: N2

Post by andreas70 »

Thank you for this info, I will give the panfrost branch a try then.

I looked at the script and can imagine what it is doing. Unfortunately I am an bash-scripting noob too...
For Line 5 I figured out that

Code: Select all

DISK=$(mount | grep " / type" | cut -d" " -f1 | sed "s/P2$//g" | sed "s/2$//g")
will put the right label in the DISK variable (/dev/mmcblk0 or /dev/sda). Maybe there is a more elegant syntax to do this in only one sed command...

For the script to work correct with both one has to look
if DISK contains "sda",
when true create two new Variables where BOOTPART=DISK + "1" and ROOTPART=DISK + "2"
else
create two new Variables where BOOTPART=DISK + "p1" and ROOTPART=DISK + "p2"

Then replace {DISK}p2 in line 21 with {ROOTPART} and {DISK}p1 in line 35 with {BOOTPART}.

Dont have the time at the moment to struggle with the syntax to do so, sorry.
These users thanked the author andreas70 for the post:
jgmdev (Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:04 am)

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

Upgraded the panfrost based GNOME image using tobetter 5.10 kernel branch but rebased on top of chewitt 5.10 branch that has many panfrost patches:

Changes

* A more lite-weight gnome install by using just the minimal amount of packages required to get gnome running.
* Swapped nautilus with pcmanfm-gtk3 to reduce the amount of required dependencies.
* Disabled suspend on gnome by default to prevent issues for users without a physical power button.
* Disabled search services on gnome by default for better performance.
* Changed default color theme of gnome-terminal to more readable one.
* Added CTRL + ALT + T keyboard shortcut to launch the terminal.
* Improved initial setup script to not require a system reboot, so the system doesn't reboots anymore after reaching login manager.
* Includes kernel 5.10.2 with chewitt panfrost patches and tobetter patches.
* Recent build of mesa-arm-git which seems to have fixed some rendering issues on supertuxkart and have better performance.
* Updated pamac package which now includes hooks to fix appstream xml files.
* Default /boot/boot.ini now has the bootlabel set to "ArchLinux GNOME Lite" by the image generator.
* Enabled the dhcpcd systemd service.
* Use uuid on /boot/boot.ini and /etc/fstab instead of devices names to prevent possible boot issues.
* Latest software updates.

Kodi Build
The archlinuxdroid repository now has a build of kodi for: X11, Wayland, and GBM, all of them work with panfrost. To install just issue a sudo pacman -S kodi or use the included graphical package manager. Note: Under gnome the kodi-wayland package is the one that will properly work.

GLMark
To test the panfrost rendering performance one can install glmark2-git from repo and launch glmark2-es2-wayland.

VLC
The vlc video player works but you will have to change the video output to "OpenGL for Embedded Systems" as shown on the screenshot below:

Known Issues

Since panfrost is still under development some rendering bugs are normal, with latest mesa git under wayland artifacts can be seen when opening non pure wayland non fullscreen GL windows.

Download Link on first post!
These users thanked the author jgmdev for the post:
Sav (Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:02 am)

superpowter77
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: N2(x2),N2+,C4,HC4

Post by superpowter77 »

Finally found an archlinux/panfrost stable build for N2/N2+. Great performance and pretty solid stability. Everything works as intended. No break downs with annoying hdmi switching resolution to 4k issue like wayfire version does among others. It has become my daily driver on two(2) of my N2/N2+ Odroids for coding, SQL, Remmina, firefox browsing, kodi, NAS, youtube and playing OpenGL retro games natively. It's handling my external USB3 HHD/SSD drives thru OTG port like a champ. Glmark2 scores above 800. From my group, we are all switching to this image. One tiny detail after first boot, dash to dock(Gnome dock), takes a few seconds to show up. Great job with this build.
These users thanked the author superpowter77 for the post (total 2):
jgmdev (Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:35 pm) • squidd (Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:09 pm)

squidd

Post by squidd »

Have been back playing around with this image. It's still awesome. Wife can use it just fine for schoolwork too. Also, just an FYI- Cinnamon desktop works amazingly out of the box. Probably because it is just a fork of gnome. Cinnamon has much better addons that you can install through the desktop itself, rather than a buggy browser add-on.

odroidn2user
ODROIDs: N2, C4

Post by odroidn2user »

squidd wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 am
Have been back playing around with this image. It's still awesome. Wife can use it just fine for schoolwork too. Also, just an FYI- Cinnamon desktop works amazingly out of the box. Probably because it is just a fork of gnome. Cinnamon has much better addons that you can install through the desktop itself, rather than a buggy browser add-on.
AUR has some of the Gnome addon's as well (like dash-to-panel), which prevents the need of using the browser addon thing.

Would be nice to have a Mint-like Arch Linux ARM. :) haha.

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Post by istanbulls »

superpowter77 wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:22 pm
Finally found an archlinux/panfrost stable build for N2/N2+. Great performance and pretty solid stability. Everything works as intended. No break downs with annoying hdmi switching resolution to 4k issue like wayfire version does among others. It has become my daily driver on two(2) of my N2/N2+ Odroids for coding, SQL, Remmina, firefox browsing, kodi, NAS, youtube and playing OpenGL retro games natively. It's handling my external USB3 HHD/SSD drives thru OTG port like a champ. Glmark2 scores above 800. From my group, we are all switching to this image. One tiny detail after first boot, dash to dock(Gnome dock), takes a few seconds to show up. Great job with this build.
Sorry for the off topic question.
Are you plugging the HDD or SSD into the OTG drive?
Isn't the data transfer speed like USB2?
I remember the OTG drive was USB2!

superpowter77
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: N2(x2),N2+,C4,HC4

Post by superpowter77 »

istanbulls wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:01 pm
No, I don't. I only use one(1) single USB3 port for that. The rest of my USB devices such as BT, WIFI, logitech unifying dongle go thru a powered hub via OTG USB 2.0 connector. Since N2/N2+'s GL3523 Hub controller is temperamental with generic USB3 to SATA adapters, I rely on a single external USB3 SSD drive such Samsung T5 or Sandisk Extreme Portable and use them as dedicated secondary storage drive on my N2/N2+'s.

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID; N2, C4, XU4, N2+, CH4

Post by istanbulls »

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:40 pm
istanbulls wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:01 pm
No, I don't. I only use one(1) single USB3 port for that. The rest of my USB devices such as BT, WIFI, logitech unifying dongle go thru a powered hub via OTG USB 2.0 connector. Since N2/N2+'s GL3523 Hub controller is temperamental with generic USB3 to SATA adapters, I rely on a single external USB3 SSD drive such Samsung T5 or Sandisk Extreme Portable and use them as dedicated secondary storage drive on my N2/N2+'s.
recently booted with ssd was working flawlessly.
I could not understand these flawless booting until I realized my data cable was broken.
If you connect your ssd driver with a simple usb2 cable. You will understand what I mean.
when i connect ssd to n2p with simple cables i use for phone charging, petitboot sees ssd2 instantly without waiting for 30 seconds and every boot attempt is successful.

Edit:
I tried this experience with two different ssd to sata adapters.
One is with usb2 / type-c, the other is with usb2-micro usb cable.
The result was sata adapters that worked like the HC4. Of course, the data transfer speed does not exceed 35mb. we only have a champion for boot, :)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

So, is there a dash-to-panel for Gnome 40 yet?

The image updated quite nicely from Gnome 38 (I presume) to Gnome 40, which kinda broke the dash-to-panel setup I had going :)

I'm thinking, perhaps investigating if the Budgie desktop environment works, that way we get the excellent Gnome eco-system without the dash / activities weirdness.

Booting Arch Linux ARM with Gnome from 64G emmc, works fine. Storing my personal files on a Synology, and Samba integration with Gnome works fine as well.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user »

OK, so I installed Budgie. That all went... well, not fine.
When I updated and installed Budgie, Budgie installed.
It loaded, seemed OK, however...

But the window manager (i think) keeps crashing.
With Budgie this logs you out.
I figured, log in to Gnome again.
Well, that crashes too now. It somewhat more gracefully restarts the window manager.
But still. Not stable at all.

Anyone else have (had) this behaviour?

Running:
linux-amlogic-panfrost-511 5.11-2
mesa-devel-git 21.1.0_devel.138037.165a69d2f74-1

Update:
Well, the problem seems to have solved itself in an unusual way.
First, it started not booting very well, having to pull the plug a couple of times.
Then it just stopped booting at all. :(
Then the N2 happened to have found it's way to the back of the closet.
That seems to have solved the problem for now. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll give it another go with a fresh jgmdev ArchLinux.

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

As I posted on panfrost thread latest mesa from master git has opengl issues on wayland compositors, using the mesa-devel package (which is pinned to a known working commit) should be better than mesa-devel-git for now. Also to update AUR packages like the gnome dash extension is a good idea to run yay from a terminal or enable AUR support on the pamac GUI.

Also sadly, it seems (at least on my scenario) that recent kernels have somehow broken even more the reboot and proper shutdown support. On 5.11 and even on the still RC 5.12, I'm running chewitt amlogic-5.12 branch (linux-amlogic-512) which has new panfrost patches and while the kernel seems stable also the reboot and shutdown doesn't properly works. Since I have a power switch it hasn't been so annoying for me, but for others having to unplug/plug could be a nuisance.

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev »

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:27 am
Also sadly, it seems (at least on my scenario) that recent kernels have somehow broken even more the reboot and proper shutdown support.
tobetter found the offending commit and removed it so reboot/shutdown is working again on 5.11, I also applied the change to chewitt amlogic-5.12 branch and it did the trick.

chewitt

Post by chewitt »

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:27 am
I'm running chewitt amlogic-5.12 branch (linux-amlogic-512) which has new panfrost patches and while the kernel seems stable also the reboot and shutdown doesn't properly works.
It works 100% fine for me (and if I revert it i'm back to broken boot) so it will remain in my branch. I'm not saying there isn't a problem to solve somewhere, but reverting changes which are now in the upstream kernel for Linux 5.13 is a workaround not a solution. Note that I run mainline u-boot on everything, so that vs. vendor u-boot and kernel defconfig comparisons might be a starting point for your investigation.
These users thanked the author chewitt for the post (total 2):
jgmdev (Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:16 am) • spikerguy (Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:52 am)

Return to β€œArch Linux ARM (ALARM)”