madmanmoon
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Two Networks - Never The Twain Shall Meet

Post by madmanmoon »

Hiya

I'd like to set up the h2+ (when purchased) to provide itself as a media server to two distinct networks, each with their own internet.

I'm not worried about DNLA or any of that crap, just ethernet, files, and N2+ clients to read them. 😏

Is this possible without decimating the existing networks?

A bonus would be the server acting as a pi-hole and openhab to one network, but ... baby steps. πŸ˜‰

Anyway, hiiii, first post, etc ... am an extremely happy N2+ owner, and want MOAR odroid!

MMM

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Two Networks - Never The Twain Shall Meet

Post by mad_ady »

Welcome.

Well, there's an easy way and a hard way...

The easy way:
- assuming both networks have different network prefixes (e.g. A: 192.168.1.0/24, B: 192.168.2.0/24) you can simply add a nic in each network. Set a lower metric for the network you want to use to access the internet from the H2.
The hard way:
- networks A and B can have the same addresses
You'll need to run s docker container (or VM) bound to the second NIC so that it has a separate network namespace. The host processes will use network A for internet, the container/vm will use network B.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
odroid (Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 am)

madmanmoon
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by madmanmoon »

Ah, thanks for the response, and nice name ;-)

OK, so I would like to perhaps look at the harder way, as that would mean that both networks wouldn't need to be changed. Plus the other network runs off a very locked down router.

Thanks again, I'll look in to how that's all done ... and I'll likely be back when I fail, miserably! Hehehe.

If I did do that latter one, would it (and I know I'm reaching here) be feasible to run separate processes over both?

For example a separate pi-hole on both network instances, and / or, perhaps a tvheadend running off the ODROID 16 way GPIO expander? Or (like I say) am I reaching with that ... and will the config just drive me insane. :o :lol:
mad_ady wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:24 am
Welcome.

Well, there's an easy way and a hard way...

The easy way:
- assuming both networks have different network prefixes (e.g. A: 192.168.1.0/24, B: 192.168.2.0/24) you can simply add a nic in each network. Set a lower metric for the network you want to use to access the internet from the H2.
The hard way:
- networks A and B can have the same addresses
You'll need to run s docker container (or VM) bound to the second NIC so that it has a separate network namespace. The host processes will use network A for internet, the container/vm will use network B.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

For the second one, yes, you'll need to run different processes (pihole-A, pihole-B).
Running a VM bridged to Network B will probably be the simplest solution, but running docker containers of your apps bound on the second network will be the lightest in terms of resources. It's also a good excuse to learn Docker ;)

Return to β€œUbuntu”