distributed computing support

robl
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid c-2

distributed computing support

Post by robl »

I am currently a member of the Einstein@Home distributed project. This project utilizes OpenCl to support AMD GPUs. I noted that the Odroid N2+ also utilizes OpenCl to support its GPUs. Would this imply compatibility with the Einstein@Home work units that require OpenCl for AMD GPU support or are the the drivers two different "animals". As of this writing the Pi 4 has on board GPUs but no support from an OpenCl perspective.

TIA

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: distributed computing support

Post by mad_ady »

As far as I know, some gpu code can be proprietary for specific gpus (nvidia/amd). So you can run opencl, but with standard code (sorry, I don't know the terminology).

robl

Post by robl »

Thanks for your response.

This looks promising https://ameridroid.com/blogs/ameriblogs ... 4gb-models here. Look at the second paragraph written by "lazio". I will have to do more investigating.

robl

Post by robl »

I have 3 CPU jobs (WUs) crunching on the n2+. Has anyone been able to use the onboard N2+'s GPUs for a distributed project? Does driver support for the onboard GPUs exist at this point?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I think I remember mali supports opencl. Look for hominid's experiments with mining. He makes use of the GPU.

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2+, HC4

Post by hominoid »

robl wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:15 am
I have 3 CPU jobs (WUs) crunching on the n2+. Has anyone been able to use the onboard N2+'s GPUs for a distributed project? Does driver support for the onboard GPUs exist at this point?
OpenCL does work and it will be recognized by BOINC but right now no projects utilize standard OpenCL. They are all optimized specifically for AMD or Nvidia OpenCL stacks which excludes other OpenCL implementations. You can find OpenCL setup instructions in the release notes for minimal images.

robl

Post by robl »

thanks for the response. I followed some of the instructions but have done something wrong. my clinfo is not showing any devices. If you have any idea I would appreciate it but I also recognize the importance of an individuals time. in the link you provided are you referring to just the "opencl configuration" portion or it the rest of the contents required? If there is a link/post that deals clearly with configuring for this effort I am sure that all would benefit. I admit that I got lost in all the various responses. My fault - no one elses.
robl

hominoid

Post by hominoid »

robl wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:31 am
thanks for the response. I followed some of the instructions but have done something wrong. my clinfo is not showing any devices. If you have any idea I would appreciate it but I also recognize the importance of an individuals time. in the link you provided are you referring to just the "opencl configuration" portion or it the rest of the contents required? If there is a link/post that deals clearly with configuring for this effort I am sure that all would benefit. I admit that I got lost in all the various responses. My fault - no one elses.
robl
Just the "opencl configuration" needed to be done. FYI, because of a dependency issue in the ARM Mali driver(between the mali_fbdev and ocl-icd-libopencl1) we have to use this modified setup process as illustrated in the release notes. This also effects other Odroid's like the C4, HC4 and N2. OpenCL currently is only supported on the minimal image for this reason.
Here is an updated step by step version of the OpenCl setup. It does the same thing as in the release notes but fixes a couple commands.

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge mali-fbdev
sudo apt install clinfo ocl-icd-libopencl1
cd ~
apt download mali-fbdev
ar -xv mali-fbdev_*
tar -xvf data.tar.xz 
rm usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so*
sudo cp -r usr/* /usr/
sudo mkdir -p /etc/OpenCL/vendors/
echo libmali.so | sudo tee /etc/OpenCL/vendors/mali.icd
rm ~/control.tar.xz ~/data.tar.xz ~/debian-binary ~/mali-fbdev_0.1-2_arm64.deb
rm -r ~/etc ~/usr
clinfo should now report the Mali GPU. If this doesn't work I would advise trying it on a fresh image, use another SDCard if your worried about losing your current sw load. I say this because If you have been hacking on this problem for awhile, there are lots of things that might effect OpenCL and it is usually faster then trouble shooting to unwind the problem. I just covered this two months ago with another user(4 posts down) so I know it works. Let me know if your still having problems or have had success.

robl

Post by robl »

1. I read where a minimal installation of ubuntu is required. I am using Armbian. Would Armbian work or do I need a different distro of Ubuntu?
2. in the above procedure the "apt download mali-fbdev" failed with "Unable to locate package mali-fbdev" which resository would that be in. searching for a solution has not provided a solution. I tried synaptic but the were too many dependencies outstanding. Again a repository issue I believe.

if your slammed then we can put this on the "back burner". I live in central Florida so I am placing a sump pump to move water around should we get torrential rains here today.

hominoid

Post by hominoid »

You need to use HK's minimal Ubuntu image for these instructions. I'm not familiar with Armbian's OpenCL setup and their packaging/name for mali-fdev may differ. How they are dealing with the recent dependency issue with mali_fbdev and ocl-icd-libopencl1 probably differs as well. Even though @igorpec frequents these forums, if you want to stay on Armbian I would ask about OpenCL setup on their forum.

robl

Post by robl »

Tomorrow I will be receiving a 2nd n2+ so it will be an opportunity to start over and do it "correctly", I'll let you know and appreciate the effort and your patience.

robl

Post by robl »

I installed a minimal version of Ubuntu from the HK website. After burning to an EMMC module I booted and started the procedure above. Got as far as the next line. did some googling but not clear where the problem is.
ar -xv mali-fbdev_* < this command is giving me the following error: Username is not in the sudoers file I am doing a cut and paste for the instructions above as root user.

hominoid

Post by hominoid »

robl wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 am
I installed a minimal version of Ubuntu from the HK website. After burning to an EMMC module I booted and started the procedure above.
I hope you did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade first.
robl wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 am
Got as far as the next line. did some googling but not clear where the problem is.
ar -xv mali-fbdev_* < this command is giving me the following error: Username is not in the sudoers file I am doing a cut and paste for the instructions above as root user.
The error is related to the first commands using sudo. I assume you tried to past more than one command. The sudo command is used when your not root but need to run commands with root privileges. Most people do not run as root for security and safety reasons so most instructions will include a sudo prefix when root privileges are necessary. If your doing this as root you need to remove the sudo prefixes.

apt update
apt upgrade
apt purge mali-fbdev
apt install clinfo ocl-icd-libopencl1
cd ~
apt download mali-fbdev
ar -xv mali-fbdev_*
tar -xvf data.tar.xz 
rm usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so*
cp -r usr/* /usr/
mkdir -p /etc/OpenCL/vendors/
echo libmali.so | sudo tee /etc/OpenCL/vendors/mali.icd
rm ~/control.tar.xz ~/data.tar.xz ~/debian-binary ~/mali-fbdev_0.1-2_arm64.deb
rm -r ~/etc ~/usr
If your not familiar with a command you can use man pages for help. You may need to install man pages first .

apt install man
man sudo
These users thanked the author hominoid for the post:
odroid (Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:12 pm)

robl

Post by robl »

Clinfo output looks good.
Event log for WCG is now requesting new Tasks for Mali-G52
Boinc task list show WUS for application/name as: OpenPandemis covid197.17 OPN1_*
I believe these are CPU WUs.
What is the naming convention for GPU WUs.

After requesting "new Tasks" for Mali-G52 I am not seeing any downloads in the event log.
I am using the "work" location and the "give me gpu wus" box is checked.
Anything standout?

hominoid

Post by hominoid »

robl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:21 am
Boinc task list show WUS for application/name as: OpenPandemis covid197.17 OPN1_*

After requesting "new Tasks" for Mali-G52 I am not seeing any downloads in the event log.
Anything standout?
Yes two things standout.
hominoid wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:04 am
OpenCL does work and it will be recognized by BOINC but right now no projects utilize standard OpenCL. They are all optimized specifically for AMD or Nvidia OpenCL stacks which excludes other OpenCL implementations.
Like Mali GPU's. And, according to the BOINC Project List, WCG does not support any kind of GPU workload. It's CPU workloads only.

robl

Post by robl »

hominoid wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:41 am
robl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:21 am

Anything standout?
Yes two things standout.
hominoid wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:04 am
OpenCL does work and it will be recognized by BOINC but right now no projects utilize standard OpenCL. They are all optimized specifically for AMD or Nvidia OpenCL stacks which excludes other OpenCL implementations.
Like Mali GPU's. And, according to the BOINC Project List, WCG does not support any kind of GPU workload. It's CPU workloads only.
Are you saying that there is absolutely no GPU processing on WCG? Then why the check box for "gpu work" in the various locations of home, work default?
As for the odroid's on board GPUs I somehow convinced myself that they were supported. My error. Oh well I am crunching CPU WUs.

Really appreciate your time and effort - robl

Return to “General Topics”