What Applications Can I install For Odroid XU4?!!!

Ordinary12
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Been thanked: 0

What Applications Can I install For Odroid XU4?!!!

Post by Ordinary12 »

To Whomever Is Reading This;

Hello, and thank you for checking out my post!!! I bought this XU4 two years ago and was very excited to test whether or not a SBC the size of a credit card could truly replace my Desktop computer. After using it for two years my answer is yes and no. If you're only using the XU4 for college classes then it will easily handle anything you throw at it but I'd like to go beyond a classroom setting now and use it in the workplace but I'm unable to find ANY applications I can install on it!!! I know the XU4 is ARM architecture but It's been in the world for a while now so why has no one ported popular applications over to it yet? I'd like to use the XU4 in an IT career so I would typically need to install things like the list below:

1. TeamViewer
2. IPAM
3. Zabbix (Or Something Like It.)
4. Kodi (For Testing Purposes....Yeah.)
5. Transmageddon
6. Packet Tracer
7. Etc...

If these applications are available for installation on the XU4 would someone please be kind enough to share the installation instructions with me? I was really hoping to find a database with all this information already listed.

P.S.
Can anyone tell me why the "Time And Date Manager" window doesn't fully materialize when I click on it? I just get the outline of a box with a picture of whatever is open on it.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: What Applications Can I install For Odroid XU4?!!!

Post by mad_ady »

Some of those apps are proprietary and designed to run on windows (team viewer, packet tracer), so you'll have a hard time running those on xu4. You may get away with running them through box86, but it may be incomplete.
A simpler way to using them on xu4 would be to installing them on a x86 system in a vm somewhere and displaying them on xu4 through ssh -x or xpra.
Kodi should work out of the box (depending on the image you're using).
Transmageddon seems to be eather old, but you can try to compile it. Otherwise gstreamer supports hardware encoding - search the forum for the xu3 hardware encoding thread for examples.
Zabbix should also be available (try sudo apt-cache search zabbix)
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
Ordinary12 (Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:05 pm)

Ordinary12

Post by Ordinary12 »

Thanks for replying! I originally had Ubuntu 18.04 installed on my XU4 and was unable to install Zabbix on it but after installing 20.04 on it and using the command you supplied in your reply I see that it is available for installation. I have Linux Mint installed on my laptop and installing the applications I mentioned in my original post are all installed on it. I'm pretty dumb at this linux stuff but I thought you could make any application work if you could compile the source code for the architecture you want it installed on. I've installed Kodi several times on the XU4 but it never runs.

Linux odroid 5.4.65-216 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 15 11:11:27 EDT 2020 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Yes, you normally compile apps for the architecture you want, but good luck getting the Teamviewer sources. There might be armhf binary packages around for RPI that could work.

For kodi try installing the kodi-odroid package which is compiled for opengles instead of opengl.

Ordinary12

Post by Ordinary12 »

E: Unable to locate package kodi-odroid
odroid@odroid:~$

Return to “Ubuntu”