USB doesn't work after upgrade

Test and fix the Kernel 5.4 features
moremilopls
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0

USB doesn't work after upgrade

Post by moremilopls »

I've recently updated my XU4. I'm using it as a low power server and I only log in every few months. About 3 weeks ago I ran dist-upgrade and the OS broke, I couldn't log in by SSH or access my samba shares. When I logged in locally the USB connection was funny, my keyboard and mouse kept freezing/disconnecting and the HDMI port kept disconnecting and reconnecting.

While troubleshooting these issues I found the latest 5.4 kernel and tried to upgrade to that. After running the upgrade the device would no longer boot. I did manage to flash a uSD with a new image and fix the existing one using chroot, so my device now boots to the login screen.

The current problem is that USB devices don't seem to work. When I plug in a keyboard and mouse the cursor doesn't move, nor can I type.

I don't know where to begin to start troubleshooting this issue as I can't access any logs or anything because I can't log in or open a virtual terminal. Is there a way I can access this information some other way? Maybe by serial or mounting the eMMC on the uSD image and checking logs?

I know I don't have a lot of info, but I would appreciate any pointers or direction to start troubleshooting
Thanks

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: USB doesn't work after upgrade

Post by odroid »

Since it is very hard to debug without SSH access, consider reflashing the latest OS image after backup important files in your media storage.

BTW, did you run 'dist-upgrade' on our latest Ubuntu 20.04.1 OS image?
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... e/20200818

moremilopls
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0

Re: USB doesn't work after upgrade

Post by moremilopls »

I did run dist-upgrade once while booted from eMMC but it must have been from the 2019-09-29 kernel 4.14 image. I think that destroyed my partition table because then it wouldn't boot and I couldn't mount it either, it was giving an error about bad superblock. I managed to fix that but now I can only run dist-upgrade while in chroot and that completes but I can't login.

I checked all the sshd settings while the eMMC was mounted and I can ping the device but SSH doesn't work so it looks like ill have to backup my configs and re-image.

I got my XU4 in 2016 and I really appreciate that you still support it after all these years. You guys provide better device support than I got for my first(and last) HP laptop. Thanks for your help :)
These users thanked the author moremilopls for the post:
odroid (Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am)

Return to “Linux Kernel 5.4 Development Party”