Is the CloudShell 2 case still worth buying if I have two spare 10TB hard drives and an XU4?

bmurphr1
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance
Has thanked: 0

Is the CloudShell 2 case still worth buying if I have two spare 10TB hard drives and an XU4?

Post by bmurphr1 »

Recently I purchased a brand new Odroid XU4 along with the 4A/5V AC adapter for it on eBay for less than $27 shipped (I sniped it at the last second). Originally I wanted to build my own OGST emulation device but as powerful as the XU4 is, it seems a lot of the software is simply out of date and it would make things hard trying to get RetroArch (along with other emulators) updated to v1.9.0. I have two spare 10 TB hard drives that have never been opened, and I recently learned that the CloudShell 2 kit exists which has all of the goodies like dual 3.5" drive bay enclosure with backplane, front LCD screen, and it can actually transfer at gigabit ethernet speeds. It seems only AmeriDroid has a few kits in stock, and right now I'm trying to figure out if the software for CloudShell 2 is still available since many different versions of Linux and the kernel have been released since this SBC was born many years ago. I can't even find a proper guide with current-day instructions on how to setup a CloudShell device if I were to buy the $90 kit to build one, and I have no idea which OS would even be the best fit for such a build. I'm pretty BSD-proficient, but not all of that caries over to Linux so there are several commands that I don't understand fully and would rather be guided like a third grader than a professional. Does anybody have or know of a guide that contains current software that would allow me to install and setup a CloudShell NAS on my network using a more recent Linux kernel? Honestly, even 18.04 LTS would be satisfactory for me at this point as long as it has kernel 4.14 or higher integrated for security reasons. If anybody can answer those questions and maybe point me in the right direction I'd be very thankful.

P.S. Instead of booting the OS from a micro SD card I'd feel more comfortable booting from eMMC...does it matter that much whether I boot from a micro SD card or an eMMC module, or are the reads/writes to the boot volume so insignificant that it doesn't matter? I have no qualms about spending 20 bucks on 16 GB of eMMC if it means better stability and longevity...performance I know will not be a big issue since all of that will take place in memory and processing power.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Is the CloudShell 2 case still worth buying if I have two spare 10TB hard drives and an XU4?

Post by odroid »

Our Ubuntu 20.04 LTS OS images run on the Kernel 5.4 LTS.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... l/20200812

If you don't like command line approach, try @AreaScout's OMV5 image which support an easy-to-use Web based GUI frontend.
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=39319

This outdated instruction was based on the old OMV4. But it is still worth to read.
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-o ... _vault_omv

BTW, I think a UHS-1 grade microSD card must be enough to run a simple NAS software.

bmurphr1
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance
Has thanked: 0

Re: Is the CloudShell 2 case still worth buying if I have two spare 10TB hard drives and an XU4?

Post by bmurphr1 »

That's good enough for me...thanks for the link to the 20.04 LTS image. I'll use it along with either the CloudShell instructions or check out the OMV5 guide since it has a modernized LCD front panel by AreaScout and it's running a more up-to-date kernel and looks to be as close to plug and play with this kind of a NAS setup as you can get. The CloudShell case with LCD screen is just too good to pass up, but I do realize it's essentially EOL and only the few places that have it still in stock still ship it out (and only in the smoky blue color) and building my own NAS this easily far beats out anything you could get from any other manufacturer - even Synology or QNAP since they tend to use underpowered ARM processors with less RAM.

maki26
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: XU4 + Cloudshell 2

Post by maki26 »

Please get some info about max HDD You are able to put. I saw some posts about 6TB but not 10TB. Do not know if it will handle it.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

We will test two Seagate IronWolf Pro NAS 12TB with the CloudShell2 within few days.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
AreaScout (Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:25 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

The CloudShell 2 is great, mine has ran perfectly for 3 years or so.

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell, Go2, C4

Post by AreaScout »

I for myself can't imagine a life without my CloudShell2 anymore, with it's super fast XU4 it is really a high performance NAS, it is an very important device in my collection

To give you a small startup
    1. Install e.g my Debian NAS image with OpenMediaVault and monitoring tool pre-installed viewtopic.php?f=147&t=39319
    2. Setup your HW RAID https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-o ... sy_install (Set the RAID Mode DIP Switch to the setting that you want, then apply power while pressing the RAID Setup Key button until booting is complete.) skip point 2
    3. Follow this Video from 6:23 https://youtu.be/TQbx77KEipE to get a nice start on how to configure OpenMediaVault
    4. On the first logon via SSH you must change the password for root and a user is created (please have a username and password ready for it), the user will be taken to start kodi, if you want the same user to be used for network shares (SMB) you must re-create the same user under SMB once with smbpasswd -a YourUser command, on all other users added/created via web GUI you don't need to do that ;)
    P.S.: The GUI may feel a little bit slow on the fresh install but after you check for updates from within the GUI and install the latest OpenMediaVault updates it will be way faster, I will create a new Image in November when Armbian 20.11 will be released, this image will have the latest OpenMediaVault updates right after install

RG

joshua.yang
    languages_spoken: Korean, English
    ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2, N2

Post by joshua.yang »

Hi,

I tested with two Seagate IronWolf Pro NAS 12TB HDDs. It works flawlessly with CloudShell 2 just like the regular hard drive.
    I did cold-boot and warm-boot about 8~10 times each, and it did recognize those 12 TB HDDs every time.
    And I also did a simultaneous dd test to simply check HDD I/O stability, although it was a short time but can say that it is fine to ordinary use.

I posted this smartctl results to show you the detailed information of the tested HDD.

Code: Select all

root@odroid:~# smartctl -d sat -i /dev/sda
    smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [armv7l-linux-5.4.65-216] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family:     Seagate IronWolf Pro
    Device Model:     ST12000NE0008-2JL101
    Serial Number:    ZHZ3TXJF
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0c2ca112e
    Firmware Version: EN01
    User Capacity:    12,000,138,625,024 bytes [12.0 TB]
    Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
    Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
    Form Factor:      3.5 inches
    Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is:   ACS-4 (minor revision not indicated)
    SATA Version is:  SATA 3.3, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
    Local Time is:    Wed Sep 23 07:48:37 2020 UTC
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

root@odroid:~# smartctl -d sat -i /dev/sdb
    smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [armv7l-linux-5.4.65-216] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family:     Seagate IronWolf Pro
    Device Model:     ST12000NE0008-2JL101
    Serial Number:    ZHZ3TXJF
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0c2ca112e
    Firmware Version: EN01
    User Capacity:    12,000,138,625,024 bytes [12.0 TB]
    Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
    Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
    Form Factor:      3.5 inches
    Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is:   ACS-4 (minor revision not indicated)
    SATA Version is:  SATA 3.3, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
    Local Time is:    Wed Sep 23 07:48:39 2020 UTC
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

These users thanked the author joshua.yang for the post (total 3):
    odroid (Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 pm) • AreaScout (Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:24 pm) • maki26 (Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:08 am)

Ameridroid

Post by Ameridroid »

We have run 2x 10TB Western Digital Red HDDs in the Cloudshell2, and it worked perfectly.

zupet
    languages_spoken: korean,english
    ODROIDs: HC1

Post by zupet »

I have tested two WD 12TB disks extracted from WD 12TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive, external USB 3.0 HDD.

PingMetal
    languages_spoken: English, French, Japanese

Post by PingMetal »

Is that still a product produced by HardKernel? When I check the online store the CloudShell 2 is in the category Obsolete Products. Is there a newer version? How are you getting yours?

odroid
    Site Admin

Post by odroid »

These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
    PingMetal (Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:22 pm)

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

@PingMetal

Of course the CloudShell 2 is still available, the CloudShell 1 case is obsolete, a NAS with hardware RAID 0, 1 and JBOD plus MediaCenter capabilities is still modern nowadays ! It's even on the main page
        Screenshot_20201006-073706_Chrome.jpg
        Screenshot_20201006-073706_Chrome.jpg (177.27 KiB) Viewed 297 times
          RG

PingMetal

Post by PingMetal »

@AreaScout

Yes, definitely modern and still relevant these days. I was looking for a fun, more powerful and affordable but still not energy hungry alternative to Synology. I was surprised to see it even had RAID. It seems the link on the main page is the only one working as I explain below.

@odroid

Thank you for the link! Yesterday I was on this page: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/cloudsh ... smokyblue/. It seems to be the same product but shown as "Out of stock" and it's in the Obsolete category. A "site:hardkernel.com cloudshell" search gave me a few other models but still obsolete:
          https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/cloudsh ... 2-for-xu4/
          https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/cloudshell-2-for-xu4/
          https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/cloudshell-for-xu4/

A look at the Cases category didn't help either. The CloudShell wasn't even listed there. I just found the right one was in Add-on Boards.

Thank you all!

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

@PingMetal

The obsolete site and product is only because the web shop got a totally new design and I guess all products from the old shop got into the obsolete area, however the new shop has all the products links recreated and so the CloudShell2 is found on the MainPage AND by browsing, go to https://www.hardkernel.com/ -> PRODUCTS -> Add-on Boards -> CloudShell2 Case2 for XU4 SmokyBlue @ voilà :ugeek:

RG
            These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post:
            PingMetal (Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:23 pm)

PingMetal

Post by PingMetal »

AreaScout wrote:
            Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:56 pm
              @PingMetal

The obsolete site and product is only because the web shop got a totally new design and I guess all products from the old shop got into the obsolete area, however the new shop has all the products links recreated and so the CloudShell2 is found on the MainPage AND by browsing, go to https://www.hardkernel.com/ -> PRODUCTS -> Add-on Boards -> CloudShell2 Case2 for XU4 SmokyBlue @ voilà :ugeek:

RG
              Yeah, like I said I found it in Add-on Boards as well. ;)

You're surely right. The webshop getting a new design is probably the reason for this duplicate item. Anyway, thanks to all of you I now have the right link. Danke! 감사합니다!
              These users thanked the author PingMetal for the post (total 2):
              odroid (Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:57 am) • AreaScout (Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 pm)

Return to “CloudShell”