batocera.linux

Third party OS images and hardware mods
Odroid4U
languages_spoken: english

Re: batocera.linux

Post by Odroid4U »

Is there a way to change the settings in Retroarch without them being overwritten when you exit and start a new game? I found 4 places where the button config is, three being Retroarchcustom.cfg and one joystick.config...I changed all of them at the same time on my pc, put the SD card back into my device and it still reverts all my changes. I want to change up on the d-pad as Fast Forward Hold, LEFT=load save state, RIGHT save state, Down=Exit Emulator as I do this with all my devices.

Can anyone please kindly help me?

mariovirgili
ODROIDs: OGA BE

Post by mariovirgili »

umisguy wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:26 pm
Karstone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 am
hello everyone, there is a new beta

https://batocera.org/upgrades/odroidgoa/beta/last/
on all disk images I provide the apple 2 emulator (read into it and it's apparently LinApple) --- the system boot beep occurs , and the screen is pitch black, nothing onscreen, and no buttons do anything unless / until I press the button combo (I and VI) to quit the emulator back to the main UI , and that works fine. IS there something ( a setting I've configured wrong / haven't configured ? or something like that?) I have done wrong, or is there a missing step? or is it just a bad build of the Apple 2 emulator? or what's going on? I don't know what to do, but it seems to just not work. (at least in a way that can be "usable" )
Well, tonight I dedicated one hour to the apple2 issue.
Same here, beeps, black screen, nothing else, only exits.
I tried to attach even keyboard and mouse, with no success.
I tried to run only filenames without spaces, no success.
I examined the linapple bin usage, linapple.conf, the python generator, added the -l flag (to log any output), disabled autoboot flag, but no success.
I read some forums, where people were having the same issue, no success.
For me everything is caused by a broken binary. The linapple can be used with keyboard, but it is not even recognized by the binary.
Just wait for another build.
These users thanked the author mariovirgili for the post (total 2):
Odroid4U (Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:36 pm) • umisguy (Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:02 pm)

umisguy
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Edition (clear shell)

Post by umisguy »

Odroid4U wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:03 pm
Is there a way to change the settings in Retroarch without them being overwritten when you exit and start a new game? I found 4 places where the button config is, three being Retroarchcustom.cfg and one joystick.config...I changed all of them at the same time on my pc, put the SD card back into my device and it still reverts all my changes. I want to change up on the d-pad as Fast Forward Hold, LEFT=load save state, RIGHT save state, Down=Exit Emulator as I do this with all my devices.

Can anyone please kindly help me?
Are you running Linux , Windows, or mac OSX?
These users thanked the author umisguy for the post:
Odroid4U (Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:43 pm)

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

[/quote]

Windows user here. I did find some information about Retroarch config files that if set up in a way will constantly override any changes.

Here is what I found:By default, RetroArch looks for a config in various places depending on OS:

Linux/OSX: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/retroarch/retroarch.cfg, then ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg, then ~/.retroarch.cfg, and finally, as a fallback, /etc/retroarch.cfg. Windows: retroarch.cfg in same folder as retroarch.exe, then %APPDATA%\retroarch.cfg. To override this, use retroarch --config customconfig.cfg. If you have some special options you want to store in separate config files, you can use retroarch --config baseconfig.cfg --appendconfig specialconfig.cfg. Be sure to pass --menu as well if you aren't loading content directly from the command-line, or RetroArch will close immediately after launching. See man-page and/or --help for detail.

If need be, I can install linux. I do have Paragon and Linux Reader installed but they seem to not include all the folders. I can see more folders in Retroarch when I keep clicking on Parent Directory "Bin, boot, dev, etc, lib, lib32, media...." I'm assuming the file that keeps overriding my changes is listened somewhere there. And for changing the I, II, II, IV, V, VI buttons I again, assume that file is listed there.

umisguy

Post by umisguy »

Odroid4U wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Windows user here. I did find some information about Retroarch config files that if set up in a way will constantly override any changes.

Here is what I found:By default, RetroArch looks for a config in various places depending on OS:

Linux/OSX: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/retroarch/retroarch.cfg, then ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg, then ~/.retroarch.cfg, and finally, as a fallback, /etc/retroarch.cfg. Windows: retroarch.cfg in same folder as retroarch.exe, then %APPDATA%\retroarch.cfg. To override this, use retroarch --config customconfig.cfg. If you have some special options you want to store in separate config files, you can use retroarch --config baseconfig.cfg --appendconfig specialconfig.cfg. Be sure to pass --menu as well if you aren't loading content directly from the command-line, or RetroArch will close immediately after launching. See man-page and/or --help for detail.

If need be, I can install linux. I do have Paragon and Linux Reader installed but they seem to not include all the folders. I can see more folders in Retroarch when I keep clicking on Parent Directory "Bin, boot, dev, etc, lib, lib32, media...." I'm assuming the file that keeps overriding my changes is listened somewhere there. And for changing the I, II, II, IV, V, VI buttons I again, assume that file is listed there.
if you're on Batocera with your OGA, I suggest connecting it to your wifi and logging onto it with windows network file share (samba) --- no extra software needed, just open file explorer and type \\ (the IP address of the OGA , found in settings > network settings) without spaces. should give you access to the entire user data
Odroid4U (Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:23 pm)

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

umisguy wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm
snip
Thank you anyway. The furthest I can go is: \\batocera\share (this is the same as going through your IP address but you can pin this folder to Quick Access so you don't need to look at the IP address) There are more folders I can't get to. I'm able to see them in Retroarch. Example, If i go to Configuration File>Load Configuration then if you click on Parent Directory 5 times, it brings you to a folder where you can see: Bin, boot, dev, etc, lib....

Do you know of a way to get to that folder? Should I install linux on a pc?

EDIT: I just installed linux, and when I put the card into the computer I only see the same folders I can see by Paragon, Linux Reader, going through the IP address. So I'm at a loss. Did the dev hide the folder somehow? I can see some hidden folders. I don't get it.

umisguy

Post by umisguy »

Odroid4U wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:23 pm
umisguy wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm
snip
Thank you anyway. The furthest I can go is: \\batocera\share (this is the same as going through your IP address but you can pin this folder to Quick Access so you don't need to look at the IP address) There are more folders I can't get to. I'm able to see them in Retroarch. Example, If i go to Configuration File>Load Configuration then if you click on Parent Directory 5 times, it brings you to a folder where you can see: Bin, boot, dev, etc, lib....

Do you know of a way to get to that folder? Should I install linux on a pc?

EDIT: I just installed linux, and when I put the card into the computer I only see the same folders I can see by Paragon, Linux Reader, going through the IP address. So I'm at a loss. Did the dev hide the folder somehow? I can see some hidden folders. I don't get it.
Batocera, if I remember correctly has a "2nd partition" that is the userdata.
there is a BOOT partition (in fat32) and that *should* be readable by windows
the MMCBLK1 is, if I recall correctly is a partition that holds the linux OS and some program code, but it's designed to store ALL settings / etc (as far as I know) on the userdata partition---
If I recall correctly, MMCBLK1 / whatever it's called is mostly read only and possibly is a virtual file system stored as a file on the boot partition...
https://wiki.batocera.org/batocera.linux_architecture
Odroid4U (Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:55 pm)

mariovirgili

Post by mariovirgili »

In Windows you could only access the boot partition, where the kernel is located, because it’s a fat32 partition.
As you correctly remember, all the settings, roms, etc are located in the /userdata, which is the other partition, Linux partition (ext4 maybe). So you cannot access it through windows Explorer and please, please do not use that shitty paragon Linux file system mounter or similar, they only destroy data and corrupt sd.
So the better option is to run batocera on oga, install putty and connect to it Using user root and password linux, port 22, and modify your files directly via shell.
Other option, install virtual box, install a Linux distro and access directly to the sd using your brand new distro on virtual machine.
These users thanked the author mariovirgili for the post (total 2):
umisguy (Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 am) • Odroid4U (Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:55 pm)

umisguy

Post by umisguy »

mariovirgili wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:57 am
In Windows you could only access the boot partition, where the kernel is located, because it’s a fat32 partition.
As you correctly remember, all the settings, roms, etc are located in the /userdata, which is the other partition, Linux partition (ext4 maybe). So you cannot access it through windows Explorer and please, please do not use that shitty paragon Linux file system mounter or similar, they only destroy data and corrupt sd.
So the better option is to run batocera on oga, install putty and connect to it Using user root and password linux, port 22, and modify your files directly via shell.
Other option, install virtual box, install a Linux distro and access directly to the sd using your brand new distro on virtual machine.
a good choice to run linux from windows would be vmware workstation player --- mainly because it seems to have the best performance and least impact on resources , with as far as I can tell, the best USB mounting support I've run into.

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

Thank you @Umisguy and @mariovirgili...the problem is, userdata does not contain all the folders/files. There's a lot more folders that I can't get to. And that's where more config files are located. If you open up retroarch you can browse all those folders I'm talking about.

Here is a screenshot of retroarch: Image

I bet I can find the config files to change the bottom row of buttons and the retroarch config file that keeps overridding my changes. Also, here is where the file is that controls the time. Right now time is set to Paris. I'm in Seoul, Korea. That file is located in /usr/share/zoneinfo/

EDIT: I have WinSCP (I believe this is the same as putty?)but using Port 22 with linux for both user name and password fail to get me in.
Edit 2: User name is "root", password "linux"... I'm in and I can see the folders I've been after. I'll try to get the changes made and share :) Thank you guys!

mariovirgili

Post by mariovirgili »

The retroarch config files are located on /userdata/system.
Remember that all the other dirs are part of the boot partition, mounted as read only.
To modify files in those dirs you need to remount the boot partition as read and write using mount -o remount,rw /dev/XXXX where XXXX is the device pointed by the root dir. To discover it you can use the df commanf and see which /dev/ the / dir is assigned.
But I won't mess with the root
Last edited by mariovirgili on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

mariovirgili wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 pm
The retroarch config are located on /userdata/system.
Yes but it gets overwritten. The retroarch config is located in about 3 or 4 places and making changes to them means nothing as they keep getting overwritten. I found on Retroarch site that you can set it up so when you make changes and save they just get overwritten by the default. This is whats happening here. Try it yourself. Change the hotkey for the exit button or the hotkey for the load/save state. Once you save it and exit it out and come back...your changes are reverted.

I was able to make a change to the timezone but thus far, thats all I was able to do. I'll keep trying once I get back from the gym. :(

JLsoft
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance

Post by JLsoft »

If something in the retroarch config gets overwritten whenever a core starts in Batocera, there's a 99% chance that it's because one of the configgen python scripts is doing it: https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... /configgen

--

The way I understand it, the idea behind everything in Batocera is that its main files stay Read-Only, with all settings you can set through the EmulationStation/etc menus being saved to (/userdata)/system/batocera.conf.

See https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... .conf#L185

Basically, without dealing with core overrides in RA and all that noise, if you want -any- retroarch.cfg line to "stick", add it to the batocera.conf, as 'global.retroarch.[line_goes_here]=[value]' ...and then even if it's a setting that one of the configgen scripts overwrites, it's then set to that batocera.conf setting right afterwards. Also, as you can see in that .conf, you can also have per-system retroarch settings by using the System name (what the ROM directory is named) in place of 'global'.
These users thanked the author JLsoft for the post:
Odroid4U (Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:38 pm)

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

JLsoft wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:22 pm
...if you want -any- retroarch.cfg line to "stick", add it to the batocera.conf, as 'global.retroarch.[line_goes_here]=[value]' ...and then even if it's a setting that one of the configgen scripts overwrites, it's then set to that batocera.conf setting right afterwards. Also, as you can see in that .conf, you can also have per-system retroarch settings by using the System name (what the ROM directory is named) in place of 'global'.
Thank you so much! I tried earlier today to add the code into the catocera.conf file and it didn't work, since I didn't add the global.retroarch. before the code. Wow HUGE thank you!

By anychance do you know how to change I,II,III,IV,V,VI buttons? Or where I can look? I'm not sure what they are called. I just know they are buttons 12-17.

Again thank you so very very much for the "global.retroarch." code!

JLsoft

Post by JLsoft »

https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... .cfg#L2005 is where it gets the default buttons for the original OGA, and right below it is the config for v1.1 and its extra buttons.

--

...also, if you set (Main Menu options) - System Settings > Multimedia Keys : ON (and reboot), it will use https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... _keys.conf to define how II, III, IV and V control volume and brightness...but I can't think of a simple way to...switch those around without editing/overlaying that file.

--

BTW, at the end of booting, the script /userdata/system/custom.sh gets ran, so if you have any extra linux command line stuff you want executed, it can go there.

For example, along with some wacky stuff for my specific wifi setup, I have:

Code: Select all

echo mmc0 > /sys/devices/platform/gpio_leds/leds/blue\:heartbeat/trigger
...which makes the blue LED flash on SD card access. :)
Odroid4U (Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:37 pm)

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

JLsoft wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:05 pm
https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... .cfg#L2005 is where it gets the default buttons for the original OGA, and right below it is the config for v1.1 and its extra buttons.

--

...also, if you set (Main Menu options) - System Settings > Multimedia Keys : ON (and reboot), it will use https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... _keys.conf to define how II, III, IV and V control volume and brightness...but I can't think of a simple way to...switch those around without editing/overlaying that file.

--

BTW, at the end of booting, the script /userdata/system/custom.sh gets ran, so if you have any extra linux command line stuff you want executed, it can go there.

For example, along with some wacky stuff for my specific wifi setup, I have:

Code: Select all

echo mmc0 > /sys/devices/platform/gpio_leds/leds/blue\:heartbeat/trigger
...which makes the blue LED flash on SD card access. :)
I tried to figure out what to do and failed. BUT, being able to change the hotkeys in Retroarch is enough. Hopefully in the future we can change the bottom row of buttons. But thank you for your help and the others :)

JLsoft

Post by JLsoft »

Just a note that the mame078plus/MAME 2003 Plus core is missing from the current beta (2020 August 13th), so beware. The 'core' is there in /usr/lib/libretro/ but it's 20kb, and it's missing from the 'batocera-cores' listing.

[EDIT: ...and same with August 16th beta :/]
Odroid4U (Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 am)

echit
ODROIDs: Odroid go advance black edition
Been thanked: 0

Post by echit »

Someone plz help, I find out all arcade (neogeo or mame) that in .zip file won't lunch. It keep back to selection. Checking bios all fine and available.

mariovirgili

Post by mariovirgili »

Check files permissions using ls - la if they are readable by anyone or not

zdooder
ODROIDs: OGABE
Has thanked: 0

Post by zdooder »

Emphasizing that I *almost* know what I'm doing (in other words, I do NOT know and I'm just guessing :) ), I decided to see if I could get MAME working on my OGABE, and although I've only lightly tested it, it does appear to be working.

I unsquashed the filesystem from /boot/boot/batocera, replaced /usr/lib/libretro/mame078plus_libretro.so with one taken from a batocera-5.26-odroidgoa-20200527.img that I had lying around. After resquashing the filesystem, I replaced the boot/batocera file on the (VFAT) boot partition of my SD card, and -voila!- MAME appears to work again.

If anyone else wants to try this, I've uploaded the squashfs image I made to https://gofile.io/d/2tvnoC ...

JLsoft

Post by JLsoft »

zdooder wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:50 am
You should also be able to just:
SSH in,
copy a good mame078plus_libretro.so over top of the one in /usr/lib/libretro/,
and then batocera-save-overlay

...and the changes will survive a reboot.

See for specifics: https://wiki.batocera.org/modify_the_sy ... _s_running
Odroid4U (Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:39 pm)

Bukketdwi
ODROIDs: ODROID go advance

Post by Bukketdwi »

I figured out why roms disappear after unmounting
Or why they disappear
Either you have 2 programs running at the same time like disk genius and Linuxs paragon
I uninstalled Linux and use diskgenuis to copy
And the other issue for people not getting the whole image or Roms not being transferred or copied over completely
You must use a better SD card class
Micro center or cheaper SDcards will give you problems
Switch to Samsung evo Or Netac and all problems fixed

Libertare
languages_spoken: german

Post by Libertare »

Hm with my current batocera-image installed - I cant "add" new roms, doesnt depent for which emulator.
Put everything to the right emulation-folder of course - but updating doesnt show me any new roms/games on it - strange, I guess.
With Emuelec for example that issue is not existing - but I would love to try out batocera.

I just copied the specific games/roms to the folder that is meant to be for it - updated and restarted and: will not be shown.
I do not know why - I use a Sandisk Ultra TF-card, but cant imageine that this should be the issue. Because on emuelec or other images it works.

Kind regards,
Daniel

JLsoft

Post by JLsoft »

MAME2003 / mame078plus_libretro.so still broken in 2020 August 28th build. [EDIT: ...and September 1st build :? ]

[EDIT: Since this is the only actual thing related to building it that was changed in the time range of betas when it worked and then didn't work, I’m guessing something here broke it: https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... 0b8352b5de ]
Last edited by JLsoft on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertare (Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:09 am)

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

TurboGrafx-16

I'm trying to add this system but its not showing up. There wasn't a folder, so I added a folder and put in a _info.txt (stolen from pcengine lol). My theme (epicnoir)has the artwork for TG16 but didn't have a folder with the theme.xml for some reason....I did get the theme.xml from the github page (not sure if its going to work in batocera?). Maybe I need to change some things to the theme.xml thats in the tg16 folder?

Has anyone successfully added a console that wasn't in the batocera roms list?

JLsoft

Post by JLsoft »

Odroid4U wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:25 pm
TurboGrafx-16
Put ROMs in /pcengine and /pcenginecd
Odroid4U (Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:01 pm)

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

JLsoft wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:26 am
Odroid4U wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:25 pm
TurboGrafx-16
Put ROMs in /pcengine and /pcenginecd
I have pcengine games from japan already in there and wanted the japanese games separate from the US games. But if thats the only way, I'll do that. Shame this is a plus for retropie over batocera. I really want to see batocera take over. I like it a lot more than retropie in a lot of ways.

JLsoft

Post by JLsoft »

MAME2003 Plus core is back to working as it should, as of the new September 6th build, thanks to https://github.com/batocera-linux/batoc ... c4654afd90
Karstone (Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:15 pm)

luisfontes01
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Edition

Post by luisfontes01 »

Hello!!
Im new to oga scene, and im trying to build my own image.. i have choose batocera, im running lastest beta built (5.27 RC4). Im having problems to set video driver from GL to OGA in video setting from retroarch..i cant make it save the definitions..ive tried from retroarch menu and when i restart it back to gl driver agian..and i try to edit manually retroarch.cfg but it wont work too..anyone can help me?

thanks in advance
Luis Fontes

flowen8
ODROIDs: odroid go Odroid go Advance

Post by flowen8 »

luisfontes01 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:18 pm
Hello!!
Im new to oga scene, and im trying to build my own image.. i have choose batocera, im running lastest beta built (5.27 RC4). Im having problems to set video driver from GL to OGA in video setting from retroarch..i cant make it save the definitions..ive tried from retroarch menu and when i restart it back to gl driver agian..and i try to edit manually retroarch.cfg but it wont work too..anyone can help me?

thanks in advance
Luis Fontes
From my experience, It is actually saving the settings. Its just that the OGA driver doesn't actually work, so it falls back to GL on launch.

JLsoft

Post by JLsoft »

No, the 'problem' is that...it's confusing/tedious to explain, but...okay, the "idea" behind Batocera is that the main install stays read-only, and you're only meant to ever make changes to stuff in /userdata (the partition you copy ROMs to/etc), and most of the settings you change within EmulationStation are saved to (/userdata)/system/batocera.conf. If you scroll back about half a page, on this very page of the thread, I try and explain this same thing.

...so anyway, another hurdle is that when you pick a ROM to run, there are a bunch of Python scripts that get ran in order to set things up...and some of these things are settings that -overwrite- what's in the retroarch.cfg, and that don't have settings you can change through the EmulationStation menus, so the only work around (other than editing the original scripts, which would be undone the next time you update even when you save the changes without doing another special workaround) is to FORCE a specific setting to be changed in the retroarch.cfg right before the selected emulator core runs, but -after- the scripts have ran.

I'm typing this half-asleep, but basically, add:

global.retroarch.video_driver="oga"

to the end of the /system/batocera.conf file on your SD card.

Every time you launch something then, the very last setting it will overwrite is adding 'video_driver="oga"' to the retroarch.cfg in /system/config or .configs or wherever that gets used by the core you're loading.

Note that that driver sort of breaks some stuff, like aspect ratios, and RGUIs colors end up being weird. I didn't really notice any improvement to speed or anything so I went back to using the gl driver where I had more control over being able to scale and position things how I wanted.
These users thanked the author JLsoft for the post (total 2):
Odroid4U (Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:24 pm) • luisfontes01 (Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 pm)

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

Batocera 5.27 update is available.

Here is a link to the changlog https://batocera.org/changelog
These users thanked the author Odroid4U for the post (total 3):
tobetter (Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm) • odroid (Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm) • lazdet (Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm)

stoyanvp
ODROIDs: OGA v1.1

Post by stoyanvp »

Again, the WiFi connection does not work. :(

Odroid4U

Post by Odroid4U »

A lot of psp games no longer work on 5.27, which played fine on 5.26.

Return to “Projects”