Odroid N2Plus sold out everywhere, not available until Oct 2020

superpowter77
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4

Odroid N2Plus sold out everywhere, not available until Oct 2020

Post by superpowter77 »

I got mine on release date. I'm considering getting a second N2Plus.
Does this Stock-out Shortage means N2Plus's sales were better than expected for HK? or you guys weren't expecting to sell that many of the speedy N2Plus and didn't put a bigger order in advance?

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Re: Odroid N2Plus sold out everywhere, not available until Oct 2020

Post by joerg »

In Germany the online shops of Pollin and Reichelt have on stock. But I am not sure, if Reichelt does deliver to other countries than Germany, Austria and Switzerland. As we know, Pollin doesn't.

superpowter77

Post by superpowter77 »

joerg wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:16 pm
In Germany the online shops of Pollin and Reichelt have on stock. But I am not sure, if Reichelt does deliver to other countries than Germany, Austria and Switzerland. As we know, Pollin doesn't.
Thank you for the insight information. However, as I live in North America(Canada), I prefer to order either from HK directly or Ameridroid in the US. Had great experiences dealing with them for all my purchases so far. About my local HK distributors, one which is located in my city, has outdated Odroids only and seems like doesn't want to keep up with latest Odroid models/accessories either because Rpi4 has become too popular here or for personal/business decisions.
The other HK distributor in my country had a COVID-19 lockdown since March and wasn't shipping until now and has some expensive shipping fees on top of an already higher online pricing.
Last edited by superpowter77 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg »

superpowter77 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:42 pm
However, as I live in North America(Canada)
Ha, I haven't known! ;)

lazlo
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 N2+

Post by lazlo »

superpowter77 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm
Does this Stock-out Shortage means N2Plus's sales were better than expected for HK? or you guys weren't expecting to sell that many of the speedy N2Plus and didn't put a bigger order in advance?
I think AmeriDroid still has some 2GB models in stock.
These users thanked the author lazlo for the post:
Ameridroid (Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:38 am)

superpowter77

Post by superpowter77 »

lazlo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 pm
superpowter77 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm
I think AmeriDroid still has some 2GB models in stock.
Thank you for the info but I want a 8Gb N2Plus. Point being, I'd never buy a 2Gb model specially for running a 64bit OS Linux Desktop on it. There's a reason why Rpi4 8Gb has been a massive success. People will buy it even if it doesn't need the extra RAM right now. 4Gb is the minimal requirement to run a modern 64bit Linux Desktop OS.

I'd never be buying a H2+ either capable of hosting 32Gb RAM, because I decided to walk away from x86 architecture. I used to build x86/x64 Servers & PC Gaming rings w/ Windows Server 2003 & 2008, Win XP & Win 7 OS's for about 9 years until 2010 and was fed up with a never ending x86 power consumption issues among others.

Currently, we have more issues in ARM64 platform and still feels like a WIP but I'm willing to keep trying until reaches a more mature state.

I apologize for the unsolicited lecture. Too much caffeine this morning. Peace.

lazlo
ODROIDs: XU4 N2+

Post by lazlo »

Sokay, but just so you know, I think the CPU in the N2 and N2+ is designed with 4GB limit for RAM. You might have to wait for the N3.

superpowter77

Post by superpowter77 »

lazlo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:52 pm
Sokay, but just so you know, I think the CPU in the N2 and N2+ is designed with 4GB limit for RAM. You might have to wait for the N3.
I'm aware of that. Same for RK3399 and all current Amlogic CPU's. I'll wait for N3 in 2021 or 2022. Wouldn't be wonderful to have a Samsung Exynos 990 CPU for next Odroid? I know Samsung Exynos 990 SoC has a 12Gb MAX RAM capacity and supports LPDDR5 memory but bulk prices may be prohibitive at this price level. I wouldn't mind paying more for next Odroid up to $120 as long as we get higher stock CPU frequencies, more CPU/GPU cores and at least 8Gb of RAM. However, I don't know how many people would be willing to pay extra and how profitable would that be for HK current business model by increasing price for about 40%.

One thing HK needs to improve is to get a better and more stable USB 3.1 hub controller for its next Odroid in reference to the infamous GL3523, improve reading/writing speeds over USB transfers and maybe add a NVME connector with at least 2 dedicated lanes accessible via HAT. Just speculating a bit here.

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2

Post by cdu13a »

superpowter77 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 pm
lazlo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:52 pm
I'm aware of that. Same for RK3399 and all current Amlogic CPU's. I'll wait for N3 in 2021 or 2022. Wouldn't be wonderful to have a Samsung Exynos 990 CPU for next Odroid? I know Samsung Exynos 990 SoC has a 12Gb MAX RAM capacity and supports LPDDR5 memory but bulk prices may be prohibitive at this price level. I wouldn't mind paying more for next Odroid up to $120 as long as we get higher stock CPU frequencies, more CPU/GPU cores and at least 8Gb of RAM. However, I don't know how many people would be willing to pay extra and how profitable would that be for HK current business model by increasing price for about 40%.

One thing HK needs to improve is to get a better and more stable USB 3.1 hub controller for its next Odroid in reference to the infamous GL3523, improve reading/writing speeds over USB transfers and maybe add a NVME connector with at least 2 dedicated lanes accessible via HAT. Just speculating a bit here.
NVME has the same problem that you have with RAM, you can't just add it to the board if the chip manufacture didn't add it to the soc. Most chips don't have the pcie lanes to break out for NVME, and if they do it's a single gen 2 that possibly shares a phy or pins with the USB 3, or worse yet the internals of the soc can't actually feed the pcie interface at it's full speed.

But back to the topic of the thread. I don't think this is a year that any company can make an accurate guess on most things, or even if they do, if you can only get 20k of a needed part at a given time, and it's a 3 month lead, then that's all you are making.
Overall the delay is unfortunate, but given how the year has been so far a 2 month delay is not as bad as it could be.

benwillcox
ODROIDs: C1+,C2, N2, N2+

Post by benwillcox »

Any update on new stock of the N2+ 4Gb version? At the moment the closest we know is some time in October.
The UK distributor is completely out of stock of 4Gb versions, and Reichelt in Germany do have some available but are much more expensive.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We still need 4~5 weeks to have a new production batch in stock.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
benwillcox (Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:28 pm)

Return to “General Topics”