The Retro Arena OS base

Third party OS images and hardware mods
kavag
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: go advance

Re: The Retro Arena OS base

Post by kavag »

Citra is slow on my phone that is 5 times faster than OGA, so no chance.

Slaminger
ODROIDs: Xu4, n2, c2, c4, OGA, OGA-BE

Post by Slaminger »

TheRA-OGA-RC2.5 is now available at:
https://techtoytinker.com/odroid-go-advance

Please read the site where it mentions RC2.5 for necessary information.
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post (total 5):
Ganjadorno (Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:54 am) • ducadan (Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:11 am) • iori54 (Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:04 pm) • odroid (Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:04 am) • Zreck (Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:19 pm)

ducadan

Post by ducadan »

any small fixes in this update?(changelog would be nice if thats the case) or its just the port to the new Ubuntu

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

ducadan wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:37 am
any small fixes in this update?(changelog would be nice if thats the case) or its just the port to the new Ubuntu
just a port to the new ubuntu kernel and uboot, and the libs that come with it. I didn't change the way anything worked. the improvements were from hard kernel
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post:
ducadan (Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:44 am)

brunojenso
ODROIDs: Go Advance Black Edition (But Crystal) Soon
Has thanked: 0

Post by brunojenso »

The RetroArena RC 2.5 (ArchBeta) image failing

Hi, After a successful flashing of the image using Etcher, I put the SD card in my OGA BE and boot - but all I get is the retro Roller boot image followed by a black screen - never does anything else.

Any advice please?

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

brunojenso wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi, After a successful flashing of the image using Etcher, I put the SD card in my OGA BE and boot - but all I get is the retro Roller boot image followed by a black screen - never does anything else.

Any advice please?
what type of micro sd card are you using? this is the first time anyone has had this issue that I am aware of.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

brunojenso wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Any advice please?
reflash the sd or try a new sd card, I downloaded it from the link on my website and flashed it to an sd and it booted up right away

artax46
Been thanked: 0

Post by artax46 »

Daft question in Mario Kart 64 the controls are reversed on the joystick (left is right and right is left), how do I fix this? I tried the base image and it worked fine in that.

Also how do I use the joystick rather than the d-pad in pcengine games (again that was the default in the base image).

I'm using 2.5.1 Ubuntu on a black edition model 2

Thanks

rijufrajo
ODROIDs: Odroid go advance Black

Post by rijufrajo »

Whats is the difference between RC 2.5(ArchBeta) and RC 2.5 Ubuntu ?

npaladin2000
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance 1.0, 1.1

Post by npaladin2000 »

rijufrajo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 pm
Whats is the difference between RC 2.5(ArchBeta) and RC 2.5 Ubuntu ?
THe Ubuntu one is a continuation of RetroArena's stock based build. ArchBeta is a new base-OS for RetroArena.

Diablo944
ODROIDs: odroid go advance (arrived pre broken) odroid go advance be

Post by Diablo944 »

today I was going to build 2 odroids. a go advance, and a black edition. the first was pre deaded before delivery. the second is ready for an os. Is there anywhere else to download the RA OS from that isn't mega related?? torrent? anywhere? instantly hit the download not possible use chrome. then from chrome it was a download limit reached. tried downloading mega app, still same limit reached, wait 4 hours before it will start. also, according to mega I have downloaded 6 gig today. my internet takes around 4 hours to get six gig and I have been online 4around 30 mins, I think its fibbing to me.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

artax46 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:22 am
Daft question in Mario Kart 64 the controls are reversed on the joystick (left is right and right is left), how do I fix this? I tried the base image and it worked fine in that.

Also how do I use the joystick rather than the d-pad in pcengine games (again that was the default in the base image).

I'm using 2.5.1 Ubuntu on a black edition model 2
for the joystick question you need to go into the retroarch menu into controller 1 bindings and turn analogue to joystick to on and set it to left, as for the n64 issue you can just use parallel n64 64 bit core and then you can assign buttons how you see fit or use the retroarch config instead, im still working on why the joystick is off, tho one is on ubuntu 19 and one ubuntu 20 so I suspect a lib may have changed somewhere

Thanks

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

Diablo944 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:39 am
today I was going to build 2 odroids. a go advance, and a black edition. the first was pre deaded before delivery. the second is ready for an os. Is there anywhere else to download the RA OS from that isn't mega related?? torrent? anywhere? instantly hit the download not possible use chrome. then from chrome it was a download limit reached. tried downloading mega app, still same limit reached, wait 4 hours before it will start. also, according to mega I have downloaded 6 gig today. my internet takes around 4 hours to get six gig and I have been online 4around 30 mins, I think its fibbing to me.
the image zips are under 2gb intentionally to avoid the mega download limit for users, what are you downloading?
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post:
Diablo944 (Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:21 pm)

Diablo944

Post by Diablo944 »

Slaminger wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:15 am
Diablo944 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:39 am
the image zips are under 2gb intentionally to avoid the mega download limit for users, what are you downloading?
download as zip instantly did, download limit reached. figured it was some con by the mega lot to mke you download app. but yep, should be less than 2 gig, but still went whappy as soon as I hit dl. tried twice, same result
Attachments
this.pmg.png
this.pmg.png (107.62 KiB) Viewed 3763 times

Diablo944

Post by Diablo944 »

Ok. Finally got it. Serious faff though. It took six hours with repeated pauses. 4 hours til you can begin downloading again. Download a bit, then 40 minutes before you can download again. Unless you want to upgrade and pay of course. Anyway, its on there, machine is up and running. Time to start playing with it properly now.

kpa62
ODROIDs: GO, Advance

Post by kpa62 »

I've just flashed from scratch on a new sd card tho RC2.4 i had used on another sd card 2.3. now hot keys are all different and if i edit the config file i used to paste in retro run scaled at 1.5. my screen would be the whole area for my roms.

Now that doesn't work or breaks the core. how do i get my games to fill the screen? like NES,SNES, SEGA,Mupen and so on?

Example of previous working config line in 2.3.

Code: Select all

<name>gamegear</name>
		<fullname>Sega Game Gear</fullname>
		<path>/roms/gamegear/</path>
		<extension>.gg</extension>
		<command>retrorun -a 1.5 -s ~ -d /opt/libretro/genesis-plus-gx /opt/libretro/genesis-plus-gx/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so %ROM%</command>
		<platform>gamegear</platform>
		<theme>gamegear</theme>
Last thing, still can't get Sega CD to run. even tried .CHD, rom tries to load errors goes back to rom list. do i need sega cd bios? if so where do i put them?

thanks for any help.

ccouteiro
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by ccouteiro »

No commodore amiga system on this OS ?

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

kpa62 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:11 pm
I've just flashed from scratch on a new sd card tho RC2.4 i had used on another sd card 2.3. now hot keys are all different and if i edit the config file i used to paste in retro run scaled at 1.5. my screen would be the whole area for my roms.

Now that doesn't work or breaks the core. how do i get my games to fill the screen? like NES,SNES, SEGA,Mupen and so on?

Example of previous working config line in 2.3.

Code: Select all

<name>gamegear</name>
		<fullname>Sega Game Gear</fullname>
		<path>/roms/gamegear/</path>
		<extension>.gg</extension>
		<command>retrorun -a 1.5 -s ~ -d /opt/libretro/genesis-plus-gx /opt/libretro/genesis-plus-gx/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so %ROM%</command>
		<platform>gamegear</platform>
		<theme>gamegear</theme>
Last thing, still can't get Sega CD to run. even tried .CHD, rom tries to load errors goes back to rom list. do i need sega cd bios? if so where do i put them?

thanks for any help.
<command>retrorun -a 1.5 -s ~ -d /opt/libretro/genesis-plus-gx /opt/libretro/genesis-plus-gx/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so --fullscreen %ROM%</command>
is normally the command used to launch retroarch cores fullscreen

some-creep

Post by some-creep »

Hey there so I'm new to this whole thing and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I downloaded Ubuntu RC2.5 for my Go Advance BE and it mentions needing to expand your SD card in order to use the whole thing, not just 16gb. I have a 64gb SD card. As someone whose only ever used Windows I don't totally understand the process laid out on the download page, and was wondering if anyone has a more detailed one or a video on what exactly to do? Sorry if this isn't the place to ask.
What I've tested so far has been great and I appreciate all the hard work here! Thanks.

SilverLimit

Post by SilverLimit »

some-creep wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:39 am
Hey there so I'm new to this whole thing and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I downloaded Ubuntu RC2.5 for my Go Advance BE and it mentions needing to expand your SD card in order to use the whole thing, not just 16gb. I have a 64gb SD card. As someone whose only ever used Windows I don't totally understand the process laid out on the download page, and was wondering if anyone has a more detailed one or a video on what exactly to do? Sorry if this isn't the place to ask.
What I've tested so far has been great and I appreciate all the hard work here! Thanks.
This package is supposed to auto-expand once put inside the OGA, however, the latest version is missing this feature and requires a more technical path. I believe the NDS emulator is still broken in this version as well, so we're essentially still waiting for a more complete revision.

ric9887
ODROIDs: C1

Post by ric9887 »

some-creep wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:39 am
You will need to connect the device to wifi and SSH into it to get a terminal session where you can run the resize script from.
Find out the IP address of your OGA
Download putty - https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgt ... atest.html
Use putty to make an SSH session to your OGA.
Type in the IP address of the OGA into putty Host Name box (ensure SSH Connection Type is selected)
Answer Yes to accept the server key.
You should get a login as: prompt.
Login with odroid and a password of odroid - and you will get a terminal session with a command prompt.
When you login, you will be in the correct directory where the resize script is located.
Then type sudo ./resize.sh
Enter odroid as the password.
The script will then run and take a moment.
It will prompt you to reboot your OGA and rerun the script.
So - do the above all over again, and your file system will expand and you will be good to go.

Patate
languages_spoken: english/french

Post by Patate »

Hey everybody,

I'm having huge drops in framerate while playing zelda : minish cap with the GBA emulator (like 60 to 25-30fps) and freezes at some points. Does anyone know why? Is there some kind of configuration that i've missed with this image?

adventureFAN
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: OGA V1.1

Post by adventureFAN »

Only Minish Cap or all other GBA games?

Patate

Post by Patate »

adventureFAN wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:46 pm
Can't tell right now. The only games on my sdcard are minish cap and a link to the past :D

I'll try to dump my others gba games or find roms and i'll go back to you after i've tested them

initialg604
ODROIDs: ODroid GO Advance BE

Post by initialg604 »

I've been able to upload games successfully to the ogabe except for psp games. The games are in the card and in the proper folder but when I boot it up, the PSP emulator option is not there. Any ideas what the issue is?

ISSUE RESOLVED. PSP games were zipped and needed to be unzipped before it can be recognized. Hope this helps anyone else in the future.

Patate

Post by Patate »

adventureFAN wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:46 pm
So far i've been able to test 3 games : Minish cap, A Link to the Past and Golden Sun, and i've been experiencing the sames drops in framerate for each game.

At first i thought that the shader hq2x was responsible for this but even without shaders i still have the same issue (little freeze image+sound and huge drop in framerate)...

Ganjadorno
ODROIDs: Odroid Go and soon to come Odroid Go advance BE

Post by Ganjadorno »

Patate wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:53 pm
Hey everybody,

I'm having huge drops in framerate while playing zelda : minish cap with the GBA emulator (like 60 to 25-30fps) and freezes at some points. Does anyone know why? Is there some kind of configuration that i've missed with this image?
Which RA build are you using, Ubuntu or arch? Also, which core is used by retroarch to emulate GBA? If it isn't mGBA by default, trying setting it to that. For N64 I had to change the core from the default on to the parallel core to get decent speed in mario64

Patate

Post by Patate »

Ganjadorno wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:51 pm
Patate wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:53 pm
Hey everybody,

Which RA build are you using, Ubuntu or arch? Also, which core is used by retroarch to emulate GBA? If it isn't mGBA by default, trying setting it to that. For N64 I had to change the core from the default on to the parallel core to get decent speed in mario64
Hi, i'm using RA 2.5 and while it's loading it's saying "ubuntu 19.10".

I've tried using your method by putting the mgba core instead of the standard one but while i do see some minors improvement in Minish Cap it's still quite laggy while playing ALTTP (especially when you get hit)

I've also tried to put the ppsspp core to play Tales of Eternia, wich i do have big issues with even with frameskip set to 2, but couldn't find it. I'm fairly new to this, so does it mean that i have to find a psp core and put it in a folder somewhere and then update? (I do have a psp and all the games above btw)

DoctorGus
languages_spoken: english, spansih
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black

Post by DoctorGus »

Hi! I am having trouble running the PSX emulator on the Retro Arena OS. I know this may be a bit unrelated, but I've been trying to fix this for a while now and I don't know where to look. The thing is that there's no error message at all, it just strarts loading and returns to the menu. Where can I see some error logs or something to know what's wrong?

I have put my BIOS dump on /roms/bios and a copy at /roms/bios/psx just in case the folder was necessary. That's the right place, yes?

Thanks in advance

shevablue
ODROIDs: Odroid go advance black edition

Post by shevablue »

Hi everyone. I'm using retro arena rc 2.4 and I have an issue with SSX on tour for PSP:

On the left is what I have, on the right how it should look like. All the graphical information (time, position, bars,...) are missing!

I tried to play with the settings but I was not able to find a solution to display them.

Did someone else have the same issue? Or do you have an idea how to solve it?

Thanks a lot!

xRock79
ODROIDs: black ed

Post by xRock79 »

Hi The Ubuntu Retro arena 2.5 build is wonderful One issue I am having is with the ps1 emulator and I can't seem to find a fix for it. It is the saved game data. Every time I turn the system off my last save is erased. Any solution to the problem?????

xRock79

Post by xRock79 »

madelk wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:01 pm
I don't see anyone else talking about having a problem with saving games with PSX. Are others having an issue with no memory card showing up when saving their games and is there a place I can go to read about a solution?
yeah im having issues with psx not saving too

xRock79

Post by xRock79 »

any way to add more cores the psx one not working right

xRock79

Post by xRock79 »

ok this chat seems dead now thx

some-creep

Post by some-creep »

So I've been looking around the forum and also this thread for a potential solution, but haven't found much yet. For Dreamcast games, I'm getting an issue where pressing the joystick a little bit registers the correct movement, but pressing it all of the way registers the reverse. One thread I found mentioned this but for N64, on another distro. They fixed it by just installing a different OS apparently. I was wondering if anyone here knew of anything like that happening and how to fix it without installing a different OS. PS1 and PSP games don't have this issue, but dreamcast does. Could it be bios (i didn't add any for DC or PS1 for that matter) or something else?

[Edit] Okay, so I've done some more poking around and have this to add:
When I load the core through Retroarch, then load the game through the Retroarch menu, the joystick issue does not happen, however the game runs much, much slower (though I could turn on frameskip thru the retroarch menu which helped a little but not much). I can't seem to run cores at all through the Retroarch32 option (though this might just be noob brain as I don't know a lot about this stuff). I think I put bios in the right place but that didn't seem to fix anything either way. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by some-creep on Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

RogDad5579

UI keyboard not showing "&" and "^"

Post by RogDad5579 »

TOTAL NOOB QUESTION: Hello, I noticed that the built in keyboard for RC2.5 (Ubuntu 19.x.x.x) does not show the keyboard "&" and "^". Is there a way to switch to the standard keyboard on the Ordoid Go Advance V2? Thanks!

RogDad5579

Re-enable built in Wifi on Odroid Go Advance v2

Post by RogDad5579 »

TOTAL NOOB QUESTION: For RC2.5 (Ubuntu 19.x.x.x), I use two different SD cards on the Odroid Go Advance v2. On one SD card, the WIfi works fine (100%), but when I try the other, the list of access points don't show up. Is there a file that I can edit on the other SD card to get Wifi turned on again? Thanks!

RogDad5579

Post by RogDad5579 »

I'm seeing this same issue as well....

"When I load the core through Retroarch, then load the game through the Retroarch menu, the joystick issue does not happen, however the game runs much, much slower (though I could turn on frameskip thru the retroarch menu which helped a little but not much)."

The controls are reversed for Dreamcast and another core (I forget which one).

phil8715
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Edtion

Post by phil8715 »

Is it possible to add the ZX Spectrum emulator onto the carousel on Retro Arena OS? I can play ZX Spectrum roms via Retroarch but I want to be able to access them via front screen.

dr.robert
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: OGA BE

Post by dr.robert »

Could anyone please post the hotkeys for TheRA? I'm a newby and I can't find those (such as bringing up the menu in-game, volume + and stuff like that)

Also. Is tehre any way to set the games at 100% full screen?

Thank you in advance.

SilverLimit

Post by SilverLimit »

dr.robert wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:35 am
Could anyone please post the hotkeys for TheRA? I'm a newby and I can't find those (such as bringing up the menu in-game, volume + and stuff like that)

Also. Is tehre any way to set the games at 100% full screen?

Thank you in advance.
Hotkey information can be found here: https://techtoytinker.com/odroid-go-advance

810Bourne
ODROIDs: ODROID X2

Post by 810Bourne »

I can't extract the images. They all say the file is damaged.

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

The Retro Arena RC 2.6 Beta is now live at www.techtoytinker.com
This build uses the current Ubuntu 18 with two player mode, as such several systems now support two player thanks to crashoverride.
everything you need to know is on that site
These users thanked the author Slaminger for the post (total 3):
odroid (Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am) • WolfyWardark (Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:52 am) • Zreck (Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:18 pm)

Slaminger

Post by Slaminger »

xRock79 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:47 am
Hi The Ubuntu Retro arena 2.5 build is wonderful One issue I am having is with the ps1 emulator and I can't seem to find a fix for it. It is the saved game data. Every time I turn the system off my last save is erased. Any solution to the problem?????
try the new version, i swapped psx from retroarch to retrorun

WolfyWardark
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance: Black Edition

Post by WolfyWardark »

All looking good with the 2.6 Beta! ^_^

I'm just struggling to expand the SD with Putty, is the command still "sudo systemctl start firstboot"?

Many thanks!

EDIT: No worries, I figured it out. Used "sudo ./resize.sh" instead :)

Jsammons
ODROIDs: XU4 GO GO Avanced

Post by Jsammons »

I am running the 2.6Beta and have an issue with ppsspp. I launch a game and it just returns to the main menu. I sshed in and ran /opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL. it gives the following error:/opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL)
/opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL)

I checked the repository and it seems ubuntu 18.04 only has glibc-2.27.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Zreck
languages_spoken: english, bad english

Post by Zreck »

Hi @Slaminger , Thanks for releasing this to the community.

Just testing a few things out on RC2.6 , looks like for DC/Naomi you are using something other than retroarch to run the games from ES as they seem to perform significantly better when booted from ES vs Retroarch as stated by other users above? is there a hotkey to access any menu here for the emulator you are using? as I cant seem to find the correct key combination to bring up a menu in a naomi game when running from ES or is this not an option? all i can see is button I will exit the game and go back to ES. FYI 2.6 first boot does not reclaim extra sd card space, have to do this manually. Cheers.

WolfyWardark
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance: Black Edition

Post by WolfyWardark »

Jsammons wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:37 am
I am running the 2.6Beta and have an issue with ppsspp. I launch a game and it just returns to the main menu. I sshed in and ran /opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL. it gives the following error:/opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL)
/opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /opt/ppsspp/PPSSPPSDL)

I checked the repository and it seems ubuntu 18.04 only has glibc-2.27.

Is anyone else having this issue?
I am also experiencing this issue with PSP and NeoGeo

810Bourne

Post by 810Bourne »

Hello! I ran into a weird issue. The ROMs load for the NES just fine until I use Scraper to add art, then nothing will load. Do you guys have an idea why? I am using the 2.6 release.

810Bourne

Post by 810Bourne »

More to add, if I back out of the system specific emulators and open retro arcade, then navigate to the ROM that way, the ROM will load and play.

So, the issue of games not loading only popped up after using Scraper and adding the art.

Return to “Projects”