Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter »

Update version from 20200806 is uploaded. The firmware can be updated in the Petitboot itself by running the command 'pb-update', or you can download firmware file from spiboot-20200816.img and copy it to your SD card as spiboot.img.

What's improved:
  • Quick fix for CoreELEC 9.2.4.2 - CoreELEC made a change on 'boot.ini' with the command that was not supported in the Petitboot, the command is applied.
In case if the Petitboot update is failed and no longer boot from SPI memory while ODROID-N2 can boot from eMMC or SD card, SPI flash memory needs to be recovered. Please refer to the link for the detail of how you can recover the SPI flash memory, the recovery image can be downloaded from spiupdate_odroidn2_20200816.img.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... overy_mode

Thanks...
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 6):
minoccio (Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:07 pm) • istanbulls (Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:47 pm) • Rmiino (Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:28 pm) • Newbie_from_NJ (Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:21 am) • odroid (Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:30 pm) • CoolGames (Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:30 am)

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2, ODROID C4

Post by istanbulls »

Thanks, for N2, I updated with pb-update without any problems.
All my OSes are working fine.
These users thanked the author istanbulls for the post:
tobetter (Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:09 pm)

m_ueberall
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by m_ueberall »

tobetter wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:38 am

Update version from 20200721 is uploaded. The firmware can be updated in the Petitboot itself by running the command 'pb-update', or you can download firmware file from spiboot-20200806.img and copy it to your SD card as spiboot.img.

What's improved:
  • Microsoft keyboard driver, but not tested if it works since I don't have the keyboard.
With the above (hash sum 448c836dde45ffb47c8806ef79daaa56), the (wired) "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0" still does not work for me, unfortunately. Is there any information I can provide to make it work?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

m_ueberall wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:59 pm
tobetter wrote:

Update version from 20200721 is uploaded. The firmware can be updated in the Petitboot itself by running the command 'pb-update', or you can download firmware file from spiboot-20200806.img and copy it to your SD card as spiboot.img.

What's improved:
  • Microsoft keyboard driver, but not tested if it works since I don't have the keyboard.
With the above (hash sum 448c836dde45ffb47c8806ef79daaa56), the (wired) "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0" still does not work for me, unfortunately. Is there any information I can provide to make it work?
Do you have any OS run with your keyboard?
If so, can you please share the output of lsmod and zcat /proc/config.gz?

lazlo
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 N2+

Post by lazlo »

Here is an odd issue. I wanted to give my N2+ Ubuntu install more storage space so I set up root on NFS. I modified /media/boot/boot.ini to comment out the existing bootargs line, then set a variable for the NFS share and modified the boot command as follows:

Code: Select all

setenv nfspath "192.168.1.139:/srv/n2plus"
setenv bootargs "boot=nfs root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp nfsroot=${nfspath} rootwait rw ${condev} ${amlogic} no_console_suspend fsck.repair=no net.ifnames=0 elevator=noop hdmimode=${hdmimode} cvbsmode=576cvbs max_freq_a53=${max_freq_a53} max_freq_a73=${max_freq_a73} maxcpus=${maxcpus} voutmode=${voutmode} ${cmode} disablehpd=${disablehpd} cvbscable=${cvbscable} overscan=${overscan} ${hid_quirks} monitor_onoff=${monitor_onoff} logo=osd0,loaded ${cec_enable} sdrmode=${sdrmode} consoleblank=0"
The default bootargs line is:

setenv bootargs "root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait rw ${condev} ${amlogic} no_console_suspend fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 elevator=noop hdmimode=${hdmimode} cvbsmode=576cvbs max_freq_a53=${max_freq_a53} max_freq_a73=${max_freq_a73} maxcpus=${maxcpus} voutmode=${voutmode} ${cmode} disablehpd=${disablehpd} cvbscable=${cvbscable} overscan=${overscan} ${hid_quirks} monitor_onoff=${monitor_onoff} logo=osd0,loaded ${cec_enable} sdrmode=${sdrmode} consoleblank=0"
As you can see very little has changed. However...

Since my first boot with root on NFS I cannot get video output in Android or Ubuntu after exiting Petiteboot. If I do use Petiteboot (by setting the SPI switch) video works fine but I cannot choose which storage device to boot from. This is not optimal but it works because the eMMC will boot Android by default. To use Linux I must move the switch to SPI mode then let Petiteboot load and then the uSD card will boot by default. Even though there is no video output I can ssh in from my desktop. If I want a gui I set up VNC.

I cannot offer proof that changing the bootargs line is what is caused this to happen. It is just the last thing I did before the issue started. For me it isn't a terrible problem but for others it might be. What do you need me to do to help?

m_ueberall
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: N2+

Post by m_ueberall »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:07 pm
m_ueberall wrote:
tobetter wrote:

What's improved:
Ugh. Sorry for the noise--I just saw that the menu still mentioned version 20200721, although I originally copied the spiboot.img to the SD card, rebooted, saw that an upgrade finished successfully, rebooted[x] again, and the image file was gone.
This time, I copied the very same 20200806 image to the same location, rebooted, immediately exited to the shell and ran pb-update (using another keyboard, of course). After rebooting[x] again, now I have version 20200816(!) and the Microsoft keyboard works with Petitboot (this time, the (unused) spiboot.img file was still on the SD card, so I deleted it manually).
(For the record, the keyboard always worked with all kernels 4.9.x and 5.7.x I've tested so far, the problem was with Petitboot only.)

[x] including removing and reattaching the DC connector before proceeding

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

m_ueberall wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:07 pm
m_ueberall wrote:
tobetter wrote:

What's improved:
Ugh. Sorry for the noise--I just saw that the menu still mentioned version 20200721, although I originally copied the spiboot.img to the SD card, rebooted, saw that an upgrade finished successfully, rebooted[x] again, and the image file was gone.
This time, I copied the very same 20200806 image to the same location, rebooted, immediately exited to the shell and ran pb-update (using another keyboard, of course). After rebooting[x] again, now I have version 20200816(!) and the Microsoft keyboard works with Petitboot (this time, the (unused) spiboot.img file was still on the SD card, so I deleted it manually).
(For the record, the keyboard always worked with all kernels 4.9.x and 5.7.x I've tested so far, the problem was with Petitboot only.)

[x] including removing and reattaching the DC connector before proceeding
Ok, so the Microsoft keyboard works with the version 20200816. Thank you for the confirmation...I was looking into the price of the keyboard. :) By the way, if you can run pb-update and it performs the update, you don't need to copy spiboot.img any more. Please use pb-update when the new version is released.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
m_ueberall (Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 pm)

PViriX
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PViriX »

I have updated my N2 to the latest version of coreelec, and also updated petitboot as required.

After running spi-update, my petitboot updated to the latest, however now I am stuck in an infinite boot loop and am unable to boot into coreelec. My Corelec is on an external usb 3 drive, it has worked perfectly up until the latest update.

It appears as if petitboot on my external drive is corrupted. When i unplug the usb drive, my system boots with a working petitboot . I can then plug in my usb3 and the working petitboot will recognize it. If i boot with the external usb 3 already plugged in (as it had been for months prior), it causes an endless boot loop where petitboot cannot properly initiate (in fact keyboard doesnt work at all for the few seconds it shows)

I tried downgrading, to no avail, by placing the august 15 version of petitboot onto a micro sd, and renaming it spiboot. No luck

Any help would be appreciated!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

PViriX wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:03 am
I have updated my N2 to the latest version of coreelec, and also updated petitboot as required.

After running spi-update, my petitboot updated to the latest, however now I am stuck in an infinite boot loop and am unable to boot into coreelec. My Corelec is on an external usb 3 drive, it has worked perfectly up until the latest update.

It appears as if petitboot on my external drive is corrupted. When i unplug the usb drive, my system boots with a working petitboot . I can then plug in my usb3 and the working petitboot will recognize it. If i boot with the external usb 3 already plugged in (as it had been for months prior), it causes an endless boot loop where petitboot cannot properly initiate (in fact keyboard doesnt work at all for the few seconds it shows)

I tried downgrading, to no avail, by placing the august 15 version of petitboot onto a micro sd, and renaming it spiboot. No luck

If you have the latest CoreELEC, you should not downgrade but must use the Petitboot after 20200816. Looks like your Petitboot is compromised for some reason, please do update with the Recovery Image.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... ev20200816

For the recovery, please follow up on the instruction.

Newbie_from_NJ
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

Both my operating systems are working fine on latest Petitboot 20200816. I updated Petitboot via command

pb-update
using a Logitech K830 wireless keyboard.

CoreELEC 9.2.4.2 on 64GB eMMC (just waiting for the CE Nightly versions to be released in order to switch to them)
LineageOS16 on SanDisk 64GB uSD

I was also able to change the boot order from the default Android to CoreELEC. SPI button on the left now boots CoreELEC by default and I can select android when needed with no problems. However, I did test the SPI button on the right... and android boots. Not sure if this is normal?
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 18.5 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Onkyo TX-NR636 Atmos 7.2

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:00 am
CoreELEC 9.2.4.2 on 64GB eMMC (just waiting for the CE Nightly versions to be released in order to switch to them)

I was also able to change the boot order from the default Android to CoreELEC. SPI button on the left now boots CoreELEC by default and I can select android when needed with no problems. However, I did test the SPI button on the right... and android boots. Not sure if this is normal?
Looks like it's not normal but it's possible when eMMC does not have U-boot, then LineageOS16 will boot from SD. Have you tested without SD when the boot select switch is placed at right?

PViriX

Post by PViriX »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:55 am
PViriX wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:03 am

If you have the latest CoreELEC, you should not downgrade but must use the Petitboot after 20200816. Looks like your Petitboot is compromised for some reason, please do update with the Recovery Image.

For the recovery, please follow up on the instruction.
I followed all the steps you had mentioned. I am still getting never ending boot loop after spiboot is recovered with my usb 3 drive plugged in upon boot. If i unplug it, then boot, petitboot loads perfectly. (see here : https://ibb.co/sF98pZM) I can then plug in my usb 3 device and boot from it this way only. If I leave it plugged in upon booting, it again leads to never ending boot loops. Any help would be appreciated.

see here for infinite boot loop behavior - only with usb3 external plugged in : https://streamable.com/pvcjxd

EDIT : I wiped the external drive completely. same result! My system is still unable to boot with the drive plugged in. It causes a never ending boot loop . I am also unable to control anything with my keyboard.

Newbie_from_NJ
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:08 am
Newbie_from_NJ wrote:

Looks like it's not normal but it's possible when eMMC does not have U-boot, then LineageOS16 will boot from SD. Have you tested without SD when the boot select switch is placed at right?
Yes, also tested this. SPI on the right, with eMMC installed and no uSD boots CoreELEC with no problems.

I also learned that I cannot switch the SPI button to the right, while CoreELEC is running. Rebooting CoreELEC still showed me Petitboot on bootup, even with the SPI button on the right side. I tried many reboots to no avail. I had to unplug the power cable to finally not show Petitboot on boot while SPI button was on the right.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 18.5 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Onkyo TX-NR636 Atmos 7.2

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:52 am
tobetter wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:08 am
Newbie_from_NJ wrote:

Yes, also tested this. SPI on the right, with eMMC installed and no uSD boots CoreELEC with no problems.

I also learned that I cannot switch the SPI button to the right, while CoreELEC is running. Rebooting CoreELEC still showed me Petitboot on bootup, even with the SPI button on the right side. I tried many reboots to no avail. I had to unplug the power cable to finally not show Petitboot on boot while SPI button was on the right.
The boot select affects when the power cable is replugged, reboot won't affect it.
The switch is not to select boot from eMMC or SD, it selects between SPI or others and others has the boot priority that eMMC is higher than SD.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Newbie_from_NJ (Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:46 pm)

superpowter77
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: N2(x2),N2+,C4,HC4

Post by superpowter77 »

I just found a consistent pattern for boot failure on my N2+ w/Focal 20.04 w/Gnome/Wayland/5.7. Pretty sure it happens with my regular N2's as well.
I run this test several times just to make sure it wasn't some random events.
Used latest 20200816 Petiboot, it was happening with previous Petiboot version as well.

This just involves failing boots with a fully working USB3 to SATA adapter and my Samsung Evo 860 SSD's. See my Picky USB3 to SATA adapter issues post for reference.

- If I hit enter on my SSD drive as soon as Petiboot detects my USB3 SSD drive, which is almost instant(Using the right and compatible USB3 to SATA adapter of course), then my Focal 20.04 w/Gnome/Wayland/5.7 booting process fails. It gets stuck with a blinking cursor right before showing Ubuntu Login Screen. This happens, specially after a power-cycle and fails in 4 out of 5 attempts.

- If I wait 4-5 seconds after SSD drive is shown by Petiboot, then it successfully boots 7 out of 7 times.
I don't know what additional processes are required to load by Petiboot in order to accomplish a successful boot.

When I receive my official USB-to-UART module kits will be able to find out more.

PViriX

Post by PViriX »

I fixed my issue by doing the following :

1) Ensuring that only one usb 3 device is plugged in upon boot (with emmc and sd card also in place). With two, it causes the issue. (I had an external hdd also plugged in during boot, ontop of my usb 3 external nmve)

thats all! :)

Not sure if it is intended that multiple usb 3 devices not be plugged in upon boot.

marcavatar
languages_spoken: italian
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+

Post by marcavatar »

good evening, I have an odroid n2, I installed CoreELEC on emmc with Storage on USB and SD Android, the problem is that I updated petitboot to the latest version of August 16 and now it basically doesn't start Coreelec anymore, I better wait for a new one correct version? Before, everything worked perfectly. I tried to go back with the versions but everything froze and then I went back to the latest version. Thank you.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

marcavatar wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am
good evening, I have an odroid n2, I installed CoreELEC on emmc with Storage on USB and SD Android, the problem is that I updated petitboot to the latest version of August 16 and now it basically doesn't start Coreelec anymore, I better wait for a new one correct version? Before, everything worked perfectly. I tried to go back with the versions but everything froze and then I went back to the latest version. Thank you.
What's the version of CoreELEC now?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

PViriX wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:16 am

1) Ensuring that only one usb 3 device is plugged in upon boot (with emmc and sd card also in place). With two, it causes the issue. (I had an external hdd also plugged in during boot, ontop of my usb 3 external nmve)

Not sure if it is intended that multiple usb 3 devices not be plugged in upon boot.
Can you share the photo of how you have plugged in the two storage to the host ports?

marcavatar

Post by marcavatar »

La versione è l'ultima la CoreELEC 9.2.4.2 (15 agosto 2020)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

marcavatar wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:14 pm
La versione è l'ultima la CoreELEC 9.2.4.2 (15 agosto 2020)
Petitboot (v20200816) is fixed version for CoreELEC 9.2.4.2. Are you able to see the boot entry of CoreELEC but cannot boot or even the boot entry is missing?

marcavatar

Post by marcavatar »

Vedo tutto ma non si avvia, carica lo schermo ma rimane nero con la luce blu lampeggiante, considera che coreelec è su emmc e chiavetta usb, prima avevo la versione 27112019 e funzionava egregiamente, non ho mai fatto nessun upgrade a versioni più recenti.

marcavatar

Post by marcavatar »

Hi, in reference to the last post I tried to load CoreELEC on the screen, the screen remains black but the program is active, I first tried via ssh to see if it responded and the answer is positive, then furthermore I tried to display CoreELEC on the screen of my fixed windows pc with VNC Viewer via VNC connection and it shows and I can operate it, so the problem is that it is not seen on the main screen, maybe there is an hdmi problem, what do you think?

Sholander
ODROIDs: ODROID N2

Post by Sholander »

Does CoreElec boot and work normal when only eMMC is attached? If not, state your problem on CoreElec forum: https://discourse.coreelec.org/

nick793
ODROIDs: N2, GO

Post by nick793 »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:49 pm
PViriX wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:16 am

Can you share the photo of how you have plugged in the two storage to the host ports?
I can also confirm that on petitboot 20200806 and 20200816 that multiple USB3 disks plugged into the N2 cause a boot-loop with petitboot. Unplugging all disks except the boot drive (which remained in the top left USB slot the entire time) allowed petitboot to run normally. It promptly recognized sda1 and auto-booted from there. Once past petitboot, I plugged the other 3 disk enclosures back in and had no issues.

karlshea

Post by karlshea »

The link for the 20200816 image is wrong, it downloads 20200806.
These users thanked the author karlshea for the post:
tobetter (Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 am)

Sholander
ODROIDs: ODROID N2

Post by Sholander »

Yes, if you need it download it from here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

karlshea wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 am
Ooops, thanks...it's been fixed. I hope you have updated to the correct version with pb-update instead of updating with downloading and copying spiboot.im using SD card.

karlshea

Post by karlshea »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 am
karlshea wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 am
Ooops, thanks...it's been fixed. I hope you have updated to the correct version with pb-update instead of updating with downloading and copying spiboot.im using SD card.
CoreELEC auto-updated so pb-update didn't work, I had to download the image and put it on an SD card.

manpreet

Post by manpreet »

I am trying to setup netboot to automatically install the OS directly for that purpose I am trying to pass the preseed.txt file to installer. My netboot looks like this

default Debian Testing Netboot Installer(Odroid)

LABEL Debian Testing Netboot Installer(Odroid)
    KERNEL /boot/install.a64/Image.gz
    INITRD /boot/install.a64/initrd.gz
    DTB /boot/install.a64/meson64_odroidn2.dtb
    APPEND boot=buster-odroid-n2_202006030723_arm64_netinst.img root=/dev/ram0 console=tty0 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xff803000 ramoops.pstore_en=1 ramoops.record_size=0x8000 ramoops.console_size=0x4000 logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 voutmode=hdmi hdmimode=1080p60hz osd_reverse=0 video_reverse=0 anna/no_kernel_modules=true url=tftp://192.168.100.5/preseed.txt auto ip=dhcp
The installer boots but does not honour auto or url options the ip=dhcp works. I have mirrored the existing files from http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/ locally into a tftp server. I have 2 questions
1. Where is the installer environment loading from? The boot option is ignored completely I never see the tftp trying to download the boot netinst img
2. how can I pass the preseed file.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

manpreet wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:27 am
I am trying to setup netboot to automatically install the OS directly for that purpose I am trying to pass the preseed.txt file to installer. My netboot looks like this

default Debian Testing Netboot Installer(Odroid)

LABEL Debian Testing Netboot Installer(Odroid)
    KERNEL /boot/install.a64/Image.gz
    INITRD /boot/install.a64/initrd.gz
    DTB /boot/install.a64/meson64_odroidn2.dtb
    APPEND boot=buster-odroid-n2_202006030723_arm64_netinst.img root=/dev/ram0 console=tty0 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xff803000 ramoops.pstore_en=1 ramoops.record_size=0x8000 ramoops.console_size=0x4000 logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 voutmode=hdmi hdmimode=1080p60hz osd_reverse=0 video_reverse=0 anna/no_kernel_modules=true url=tftp://192.168.100.5/preseed.txt auto ip=dhcp
The installer boots but does not honour auto or url options the ip=dhcp works. I have mirrored the existing files from http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/ locally into a tftp server. I have 2 questions
1. Where is the installer environment loading from? The boot option is ignored completely I never see the tftp trying to download the boot netinst img
2. how can I pass the preseed file.
Are you trying to set up the netboot installer server in your local network for a private or for mass production?

For your questions:
1. Not necessary to download the Netboot installer image. PXE boot configuration can specify the files to start the Netboot installer as "KERNEL", "INITRD", "DTB" and "APPEND". Actually, your PXE configuration is to use the files after Netboot Installer image is started which is not necessary. Please refer to my PXE configuration that starts Netboot Installer. The Petitboot is capable to download the booting images using HTTP protocol, not only using TFTP.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer ... N2/default

LABEL Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) Netboot Installer
    KERNEL http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/pxeboot/ODROID-N2/focal/install.a64/Image.gz
    INITRD http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/pxeboot/ODROID-N2/focal/install.a64/initrd.gz
    DTB http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/pxeboot/ODROID-N2/focal/install.a64/dtbs/amlogic/meson64_odroidn2.dtb
    APPEND root=/dev/ram0 console=tty0 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xff803000 quiet ramoops.pstore_en=1 ramoops.record_size=0x8000 ramoops.console_size=0x4000 logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 voutmode=hdmi hdmimode=1080p60hz osd_reverse=0 video_reverse=0 anna/no_kernel_modules=true
2. In order to pass your custom preseed file, you must specify it to the kernel parameter as preseed/url, not sure if url works or not,
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installatio ... 05s03.html

It would be nice if you create a separate thread for this, this would be good reference for others why may want to set up PXE server. :D

chris555

Post by chris555 »

I'm struggling to get Petitboot to work and I would appreciate some help.

I installed 20200816 with what seemed no problems and after install it rebooted. I still had the SD card I installed from inserted and the switch in the right position and the menu was displayed. However as soon as I power cycle and move the switch to the left I get nothing. The blue LED comes on but there is no video output. There is also no response from the keyboard (caplock light does not come on etc.) I have tried installing again with the exact same end result.

Inserting a SD card, putting the eMMC in or having nothing inserted makes no difference.

thatsaltydude
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: U2, N2

Post by thatsaltydude »

chris555 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:59 am
I'm struggling to get Petitboot to work [...]

I installed 20200816 [...] The blue LED comes on but there is no video output. [...] I have tried installing again with the exact same end result. [...]
Hi, I had the same problem.
I fixed it by flashing the previous Recovery Image, which is Petitboot (dev.20190417)
and updated it with the latest Upgrade Image, which (currently) is Petitboot (dev.20200816).
These users thanked the author thatsaltydude for the post (total 2):
chris555 (Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:08 am) • tobetter (Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am)

chris555

Post by chris555 »

thatsaltydude wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:32 am
chris555 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:59 am
I'm struggling to get Petitboot to work [...]

I installed 20200816 [...] The blue LED comes on but there is no video output. [...] I have tried installing again with the exact same end result. [...]
Hi, I had the same problem.
I fixed it by flashing the previous Recovery Image, which is Petitboot (dev.20190417)
and updated it with the latest Upgrade Image, which (currently) is Petitboot (dev.20200816).
Thank you so much. That worked

This has been driving me mad!

mops

Post by mops »

Dopo che ho fatto update die petitboot mi esce questa schermata come posso risolvere

Grazie

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mops wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:40 pm
Dopo che ho fatto update die petitboot mi esce questa schermata come posso risolvere
You need to recover the SPI flash memory with the recovery image, not update image. This is the link to the latest version.
And this is the instruction on how you can recover the image.

mops

Post by mops »

tobetter wrote:
mops wrote:
You need to recover the SPI flash memory with the recovery image, not update image. This is the link to the latest version.
Questa e la schermata che mi esce dopo che ho provato a mettere la recovery

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mops wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:03 am
tobetter wrote:
mops wrote:

Can you share the photo of the board that shows the boot select switch?
Did you flash the spiupdate-*.img to SD card using Etcher?

EDIT: Can you try to boot without eMMC attached?

mops

Post by mops »

tobetter wrote:
mops wrote:
tobetter wrote:
mops wrote:

allora in questa cartella ho messo un log di putty nel metre pro a scrivere petitboot versione 16.08.2020
Attachments
Neuer Ordner (5).7z
(7.18 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

mops

Post by mops »

E questo e il mio odroid n2+ versione 4 gigabyte

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mops wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:16 pm
tobetter wrote:
mops wrote:
tobetter wrote:
mops wrote:

allora in questa cartella ho messo un log di putty nel metre pro a scrivere petitboot versione 16.08.2020
Since you have the USB-to-SERIAL debugging board, let's try this.

When you boot your ODROID-N2PLUS while the debugging board is attached, stop at U-boot by pressing a key from Putty so that you can run a command sf probe in U-boot. This command will check if ODROID-N2PLUS can detect the SPI flash memory is attached or not. If you have the output like this, size would be different, SPI flash memory is fine otherwise SPI flash memory is somehow defected. It does not matter if the boot select switch is at "SPI" or "MMC" if you can get U-boot.

odroidn2#sf probe
SF: Detected XT25F128B with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 4 KiB, total 16 MiB
Once you have verified the SPI flash memory, attached the SD card after copying the spiboot.img into it or just reflash the image spiupdate_odroidn2_20200816.img to SD card and run the command in the U-boot again. The command spiupdate_full will read spiboot.im from SD and flash it to SPI in U-boot.

odroidn2#run spiupdate_full
When flashing with the command spiupdate_full is completed, place the SPI boot select switch to SPI and remove SD card then replug the DC cable. If SPI update is success you would have the Petitboot. Please try this and let me know how it goes.

In addition, from the photo of your ODROID-N2, the RTC battery is wrongly inserted. Please refer to the link and reinsert it again.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/getti ... tc_battery

mops

Post by mops »

odroidn2#sf probe
spifc_probe: reg=00000000ffd14000, mem_map=00000000f6000000
SF: Unsupported flash IDs: manuf c0, jedec 0000, ext_jedec 0000
Cannot find driver 'spinand'
Failed to initialize SPI flash at 0:0 (error -22)
odroidn2#

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mops wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:38 pm
odroidn2#sf probe
spifc_probe: reg=00000000ffd14000, mem_map=00000000f6000000
SF: Unsupported flash IDs: manuf c0, jedec 0000, ext_jedec 0000
Cannot find driver 'spinand'
Failed to initialize SPI flash at 0:0 (error -22)
odroidn2#
Hmm...this means no good. Just for sure, would you please check the eMMC connector if it's a dust or the pin is damaged? It's between the pins 7th and 8th from left. One of them is connected to SPI flash memory.
2c31f8a5a7d22948de2fde306b381646.jpg
2c31f8a5a7d22948de2fde306b381646.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
In case you are getting the same error with sf probe in the U-boot, please contact Pollin for RMA if your board can be covered or not.

mops

Post by mops »

Sembra tutto normale

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mops wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 pm
Sembra tutto normale

Indeed, thank you. I think you need to contact to Pollin for RMA if you like to keep working the Petitboot.

mops

Post by mops »

Un grazie anche a lei per il suo gentile aiuto oh appena mandato loro una mail .

La ringrazio nuovamente

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

mops wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:57 pm
Un grazie anche a lei per il suo gentile aiuto oh appena mandato loro una mail .

La ringrazio nuovamente

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Good luck and hope you do not have any issue getting RMA.
Sorry to know this happens, this is the first time I have SPI flash does not work on ODROID-N2/Plus.

rod20
ODROIDs: C2,N2

Post by rod20 »

Hi tobetter, is it possible (or would it be in future releases) to somehow edit the boot order from an OS that already booted?
I used to do that with an older release editing the petitboot.cfg in the uSD card. But now I had to update petitboot because of the fix for last CoreELEC ‘boot.ini’. And newer versions no longer save the config in uSD, so petitboot.cfg is ignored in my tests.
Another question is if you have plans for CEC or LIRC support?
Thanks for your great work.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

rod20 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 pm
Hi tobetter, is it possible (or would it be in future releases) to somehow edit the boot order from an OS that already booted?
I used to do that with an older release editing the petitboot.cfg in the uSD card. But now I had to update petitboot because of the fix for last CoreELEC ‘boot.ini’. And newer versions no longer save the config in uSD, so petitboot.cfg is ignored in my tests.
The Petitboot configuration is now storing in the SPI flash memory itself, no longer store it to 'petitboot.cfg' since......sorry, I don't remember the version but it's been long. You can change the boot order in System configuration. Due to the lack of SPI memory size, LIRC won't be supported and CEC needs more effort to support it. Out of curiosity, what's the model of the brand of your remote?

CoolGames
ODROIDs: Dec 25 N2

Post by CoolGames »

tobetter wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:25 pm
rod20 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 pm
Due to the lack of SPI memory size, LIRC won't be supported and CEC needs more effort to support it. Out of curiosity, what's the model of the brand of your remote?
I continue to offer my energy and curiosity to get CEC to work as I struggle with it constantly and I want to under stand it.
I moved the Nvidia Shield TV to HDMI on Denon and Panasonic home system and I control and view all the capabilities.
I can ADB into the Nvidia and run any Android app or command to interogate the CEC protocol like I did with the IRC from Hardkernel earlier.
I am also looking at MIDI controllers so just need a way to sniff CEC dialog.

What can I do to help more ?

leetdavy@cooldroidn2:~$ cec-client 
No device type given. Using 'recording device'
CEC Parser created - libCEC version 4.0.4
no serial port given. trying autodetect: FAILED
leetdavy@cooldroidn2:~$ cec-client -l
libCEC version: 4.0.4, compiled on Linux-4.4.0-176-generic ... , features: P8_USB, DRM, P8_detect, randr, Exynos, AOCEC
Found devices: NONE
leetdavy@cooldroidn2:~$ 

leetdavy@cooldroidn2:~$ sudo get-edid | parse-edid 
[sudo] password for leetdavy: 
This is read-edid version 3.0.2. Prepare for some fun.
Attempting to use i2c interface
No EDID on bus 0
No EDID on bus 1
1 potential busses found: 2
256-byte EDID successfully retrieved from i2c bus 2
Looks like i2c was successful. Have a good day.
Checksum Correct

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "NS-22D420NA18�"
	ModelName "NS-22D420NA18�"
	VendorName "BBY"
	# Monitor Manufactured week 10 of 2016
	# EDID version 1.3
	# Digital Display
	DisplaySize 480 270
	Gamma 2.20
	Option "DPMS" "false"
	Horizsync 32-68
	VertRefresh 56-75
	# Maximum pixel clock is 170MHz
	#Not giving standard mode: 1280x720, 60Hz
	#Not giving standard mode: 1280x800, 60Hz
	#Not giving standard mode: 1280x800, 75Hz
	#Not giving standard mode: 1280x960, 60Hz
	#Not giving standard mode: 1280x1024, 60Hz
	#Not giving standard mode: 1440x900, 60Hz
	#Not giving standard mode: 1680x1050, 60Hz

#Extension block found. Parsing...
	Modeline 	"Mode 14" 74.25 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync 
	Modeline 	"Mode 0" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync -vsync 
	Modeline 	"Mode 1" 68.25 1280 1328 1360 1440 768 771 778 790 +hsync -vsync 
	Modeline 	"Mode 2" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 3" 27.027 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 4" 74.250 1280 1390 1420 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 5" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1082 1087 1125 +hsync +vsync interlace
	Modeline 	"Mode 6" 27.000 720 732 796 864 576 581 586 625 -hsync -vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 7" 74.250 1280 1720 1760 1980 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 8" 74.250 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1082 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync interlace
	Modeline 	"Mode 9" 148.500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 10" 74.250 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 11" 27.027 1440 1478 1602 1716 480 484 487 525 -hsync -vsync interlace
	Modeline 	"Mode 12" 27.000 1440 1464 1590 1728 576 578 581 625 -hsync -vsync interlace
	Modeline 	"Mode 13" 25.200 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
	Modeline 	"Mode 15" 74.25 1920 2008 2052 2200 540 542 547 562 +hsync +vsync interlace
	Modeline 	"Mode 16" 27.00 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync 
	Modeline 	"Mode 17" 74.25 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync 
	Option "PreferredMode" "Mode 14"
EndSection

Return to “Projects”