Few questions about Odroid N2 with Windows 10.

ken76
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Few questions about Odroid N2 with Windows 10.

Post by ken76 »

Does Odroid N2 work under Windows 10 Home or Pro?
Do the GPIO pins work in the same way like Rasbperry PI3 GPIO pins
when I programming with Visual Studio 2019?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Re: Few questions about Odroid N2 with Windows 10.

Post by meveric »

The ODROID N2, does not run Windows 10, it's an ARM board and runs different flavors of Linux or Android, but not Windows.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

ken76

Post by ken76 »

And I can assume the same for Odroid-C2, that Windows 10 does not work here either?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric »

exactly.. you will have trouble finding any ARM based board that can run Windows 10.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

ken76

Post by ken76 »

Ok, thank you for your answer.

eval-
ODROIDs: N2

Post by eval- »

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows- ... berry-pi-3

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/arm/

Any reason it is possible for RPi3 but not N2? (I understand building an installer is work, I'm merely asking if it's theoretically possible.)

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2, C4, N2+

Post by elatllat »

Microsoft put Raspberry Pi drivers in Windows IoT Core.
(Ask them nice and they might do it for the N2)
There is an unofficial hack to upgrade Windows IoT Core to Windows 10.
But really windows is 20+ years behind linux in so many ways that nobody cares, even microsoft gave up on windows and started using Linux for infrastructure servers "Azure's Software Defined Network" and IoT "Azure Sphere".

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

They recently invented tabbed terminals and ptys :D

quartexNOR
ODROIDs: XU4, N2

Post by quartexNOR »

A bit late, but the only supported boards for Win10 IOT-core (which is NOT a normal Windows desktop system) is the Dragonboard 400 series and PI. They might have added a few more recently, but those two were the ones the IoT core was launched for. IoT core has nothing to do with running windows in the traditional sense. It is basically a set of APIs coupled with their .net runtime. Allowing developers to create full-screen "kiosk" applications from the comfort of Visual Studio.

Microsoft is working on their ARM windows, but that's schedules for Q4 2020 if im not mistaken, and will initially focus on laptops.
At this point, the only ARM cpu's that can take on Intel are quite expensive. For example, the SnapDragon 852 is the SoC used in Samsung Galaxy Note 10, and it delivers Intel i5 performance.
But it also costs around $1000 if you want to buy it as an SBC.

IoT SBC boards are closely linked to the mobile phone industry, in that most SoC's are deployed as mobile devices first, which ramps up production and lowers cost.
When the prices are rock bottom, IoT board makers pick them up and use them in their boards.
So we are at the least a good 4 years away from ARM boards that deliver i5 and i7 performance, and when they arrive they will be sold at the same prices Intel asks for.

For power computing on the cheap, consider getting into cluster computing -- where you can daisy chain X number of cheap devices together through a switch.
Obviously you would have to write software yourself, unless you want something from the academic sector.

My cluster system is being made for this, where you have several services that are meant to be installed on separate devices.
You then have a desktop core that allows you to delegate work between the SBC's known to the core.
You can read more about that project here (open source, compiled to webassembly + js, running on node.js as a service host):
https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress.co ... -progress/

But to be honest, if you want windows, just get an Intel Nuc or something like that.
ARM is for Linux or Android (sadly, Android sux).

gsgs
ODROIDs: n2

Post by gsgs »

you can have Dosbox or such, Windows commandline, to execute X86-DOS-programs
Freedos is also possible -in theory - but not supported by hardkernal.

I'd like to buy a emmc with some DOS ready to use to run (simple)
x86 DOS-programs for math, file-editing or such.

There will be some performance cost ... so best would be to recompile old DOS-programs so they run on Linux

This typically needs some changes, so e.g. I have to delete exit - commands in my C-programs.
My Basic programs - I haven't even tried it yet. There should be some Basic for Linux,
but it's probably incompatible and requires lots of changes

chatplosion
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2 4GB-RAM CoreELEC

Post by chatplosion »

Windows on Odroid N2 is not impossible.
It has just not startet yet.

Well, the Microsoft Company did start a Windows 10 Desktop Arm64. But there is no compatibility list.
There is something called "Insider". This is the page for getting installation media in Europe: https://uup.rg-adguard.net/

But until now it lacks not on a installer, it lacks on a Microsoft Windows Bootmanager for Odroid N2 based on U-Boot.

First problem is getting "U-Boot" mounting a drive with GPT and NTFS. Here is there the kernel is geting loaded.
Second problem is getting kernel-drivers for graphics, usb, storage and network. Without this there is nothing to view on the screen or nothing which can be loaded or stored.
Third problem is starting the Windows Setup.

As smart as our people are they can get rid of the first problem. But everything else is in the hands of Armlogic and Microsoft...

galvatr0n.ver5
ODROIDs: odroid-n2 4gb x 2
odroid h2+ w/16gb ram + 1tb nvme

Post by galvatr0n.ver5 »

why not just get an odroid h2?
or better yet, run my ubuntu distro and say the hell with windows :ugeek:

rooted

Post by rooted »

There has to be drivers for the VPU, GPU, USB, Sound, etc...etc...etc

Super unlikely to ever happen.

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

i think the first step would be using something like qemu-kvm with the windows 10 arm64 insider preview version and making sure pass through for cpu features is supported.

Adding display device, acceleration and getting it booted I'm 100% not sure about.

narmstrong
ODROIDs: C1+, C2, N2, N2+

Post by narmstrong »

chatplosion wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:51 pm
First problem is getting "U-Boot" mounting a drive with GPT and NTFS. Here is there the kernel is geting loaded.
Second problem is getting kernel-drivers for graphics, usb, storage and network. Without this there is nothing to view on the screen or nothing which can be loaded or stored.
Third problem is starting the Windows Setup.
Mainline U-Boot for N2 offers EFI GOP for graphics and USB keyboard as console input, and EFi network, so an EFI IoT windows installer would be able to make usage of these, but I don't think it would be enough for the IoT windows version to run...

Not sure it u-boot really need NTFS support since everything EFI related should be in a FAT32 partition.
These users thanked the author narmstrong for the post:
odroid (Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:08 pm)

Return to “Other OS”