Anybody working on Android for the Odroid-Go A?

Talking about OS and emulation core development
notime2d8
languages_spoken: english

Re: Anybody working on Android for the Odroid-Go A?

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 am
Either of the PowerStone games (1/2) would be cool :)

There is a couple of effects off like the Power Stone gems aura.
So I need a tripod and a babysitter...but here it is...this wasn't with the latest version of redream I think it's 3 versions behind. And I was shocked because rumble worked with the Xbox 360 remote I had connected. It ran okay with just two characters with 4 it started to lag noticably. Also, this was with a interactive CPU scheduler. I didn't try it with performance. But it still should've been running at max CPU speed.

Last edited by notime2d8 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:38 am
I decided I wanna try and flash this to a spare sd card.

In Linux, I just partition an SD card into 3 (4 with swap) partitions (BOOT) (/system)(/data). Gparted should work for this, right? Also, what would the swap partition be named? (/vendor)?

Then copy boot data to BOOT.

Then flash the system.img using the terminal command you listed:

sudo dd bs=4M if=system.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p2 conv=fsync

And that does it, right? The rest of the readme was just if I want to spin another version of android?
That was with Android 9, for Android 10 you need 4 partitions:

Boot - vfat
System -ext4
Vendor - ext4
Data - f2fs

And yes, everything else you said was correct. Give me a few minutes to upload the lastest files. I'll edit this post and the first post to say when it's done.
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Shoesy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:57 am
Fingers crossed for an image we can just etch :)
So the issue with an etcher image is that you'd need to have the same size SD card as me... Or I'd need to figure out a first boot script like the Linux builds uses to resize the partitions. Sounds easy on paper but takes a bit to do....but I'm working on a esay solution. This is just a big endeavor, cause I'm also working on the Kernel and Android builds. And I'm testing out changes in groups? If that makes sense. So Android builds, apps, and tweaks get worked on and tested, then kernel, recovery, and flashing gets worked on. The recovery is built into the kernel.

zztfoxdev
ODROIDs: Odroid Go
Has thanked: 0

Post by zztfoxdev »

What size micro sd card are you using?

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 am
What size micro sd card are you using?
64gb

But the first post is updated with links and instructions. If anybody knows how to make an etcher file, have at it. Also if someone can make an automated script for it....even better.

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

Ah, ok. So someone would have to use a 128gb card unless they found a 64gb with the same amount or higher of usable bits for an etcher image. Gotcha.

Anyway gonna take a second swing at this. Messed up the boot on the first one. I think I used fat32 for boot instead of vfat. Also having a time installing f2fs on my little hobbled together linux netbook :p

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:28 am
Ah, ok. So someone would have to use a 128gb card unless they found a 64gb with the same amount or higher of usable bits for an etcher image. Gotcha.

Anyway gonna take a second swing at this. Messed up the boot on the first one. I think I used fat32 for boot instead of vfat. Also having a time installing f2fs on my little hobbled together linux netbook :p
Yep,.. hmm... I remember just doing a sudo apt-get on Ubuntu for f2fs... Next time I post files I'll add back the option to use either f2fs or ext4 for the data partition. When I tested it... F2fs was faster and having the option for ext4 added an extra check and slowed boot times a second or so.

I hope you get it going. Haven't had anyone test or try installing it.... At least not anyone who posted.

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

Nevermind got it running!

....for about 3 seconds til I poked around and let android format the sd card :p

Reflashing now. You my good friend have a heck of a release on your hands here!

You ever go on XDA? I know the guys over there would be slobbering over this right now if they knew it existed ;)
These users thanked the author zztfoxdev for the post:
notime2d8 (Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:08 am)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:01 am
Nevermind got it running!

....for about 3 seconds til I poked around and let android format the sd card :p

Reflashing now. You my good friend have a heck of a release on your hands here!

You ever go on XDA? I know the guys over there would be slobbering over this right now if they knew it existed ;)
Really excited you got it going. And yep, been on XDA since '05. But I may post on there at some point...only have a few hours a day to work on this. Don't know if I'm ready for GPL police and complaints yet that come with XDA and a bigger crowd.

And I'm trying to work on a patch now so that Android doesn't mount all 4 partitions. Also in between trying a TV build as it should work better without a touchscreen?

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

True about all that on XDA :p

Anyway, I just installed this to an 8gb card and made a backup image that etcher can flash. Having trouble making an easy way to resize it just like what you are running into, but I could upload it for anyone that wants to take a gamble at their 8gb card being the same size as mine. Or only using 8gb of a 16gb card :D

Also the TV launcher is a good idea, but I am going to try some other launchers and try to find one that works is compatible with gamepads.
notime2d8 (Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:56 pm)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Anyway, I just installed this to an 8gb card and made a backup image that etcher can flash. Having trouble making an easy way to resize it just like what you are running into, but I could upload it for anyone that wants to take a gamble at their 8gb card being the same size as mine. Or only using 8gb of a 16gb card :D

Also the TV launcher is a good idea, but I am going to try some other launchers and try to find one that works is compatible with gamepads.
I wish i was smart enough to figure out what Nvidia did for the Shield. If i remember right, you were able to hit a key combo and turn the joystick into a mouse and use the triggers as a left and right click. That would be perfect.

I also wanted to test out and see if i could get 4g working. But i haven't found a modem to try or test.

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

Just a funny note. Had Nvidia Geforce Now running Destiny 2. I guess you could hook in a game pad to make it play. But yeah :)

Also Minit native android is fully compatible, as well as Alien Squatter, a weird little Animal Crossing game where you play as a homeless alien.

Trying to find a compatible web browser, Firefox Focus recognized some input but not enough to be usable.

Colornote worked for taking notes? I guess that is something.

Shoesy
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Post by Shoesy »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:50 pm

YES PLEASE!!!

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

If it is ok with the dev, I will upload it to Google drive (if it can handle a single 8gb img) or the likes and link it here.

Might take till tommorow to get it uploaded, though. My internets pretty lousy.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 pm
If it is ok with the dev, I will upload it to Google drive (if it can handle a single 8gb img) or the likes and link it here.

Might take till tommorow to get it uploaded, though. My internets pretty lousy.
Yep, have at it. Can you also post how you made it? Maybe someone else can do some other sizes.

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rx7Fcc ... sp=sharing

If you are goona set a default launcher set it as TVlauncher, Trebuchet is not letting you get to your apps unless you use a mouse.

There is the full, uncompressed img flashable in Etcher. Keep in mind that it is preset for an 8gb card, but may need a 16gb and is gonna only use half of that 16gb.

Like the dev said, it may take a few tries to get it to run ever time you boot it. Just hold the power button for like 10 seconds til the Hardkernel logo and screen shut off and try again. if it takes more than three tries (and depending on how long you let the screen go funky on the Hardkernel boot logo) you may get some ghosting on your screen. Just run something with a lot of moving colors to refresh the display, as this happened on mine but it may be a thing with the screens on the Odroid or a one off issue with my screen?

---------------------------------------------------------

As for how I made this, I followed the dev's steps on Linux using Gparted to make 4 partitions (BOOT fat32 256+MiB, /system ext4 1600+MiB, /vendor ext4 1000+MiB, /data f2fs 1000+MiB).

I made my BOOT partition fill like 3200MiB of the card so I could mess with apps and such. It is treated like an SD card in Android.

I copied the files in the boot folder the dev provided into the BOOT partition.

By opening the terminal in the folder containing the extracted contents of the dev's odroid.tar.xz (boot, system.img, vendor.img) I ran:

sudo dd bs=4M if=vendor.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 conv=fsync

sudo dd bs=4M if=system.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p2 conv=fsync

YOU MAY NEED TO USE THIS COMMAND IF YOU USE AN SD CARD READER (PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT GPARTED LABELS YOUR SD CARD READER AS AND ITS PARTITIONS).

sudo dd bs=4M if=vendor.img of=/dev/sda3 conv=fsync

sudo dd bs=4M if=system.img of=/dev/sda2 conv=fsync

Once the 8gb SD card was ready, I took it out of the linux computer and put it into a windows computer and ran Win32DiskImager and READ the contents of the E:/ drive onto the C:/ drive as the img you see here.

Then I copied the img file back to the linux computer and ran balenaEtcher and flashed the img to a 16gb card to see if it worked. It did.

So I uploaded the img to Google Drive and here we are.

If this file works for someone, I am gonna try and compress it using .zip so it is smaller to download.
notime2d8 (Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:13 am)

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

Thanks for this both, gonna give it a go now. Was just getting through partitioning the drive to do it the hard way when I saw your new post :)

Hopefully I can use Gparted to resize the partition after etching?

Will let you know how I get on...

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

You gotta move a lot around based on what you are gonna resize.

BOOT is the first partition so you gotta move everything else to the last bits of space, then expand BOOT after you move the other 3 partitions.

Might actually wanna expand /system instead. BOOT is giving me a lot of permission issues/quirks.

Tremont
languages_spoken: English
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tremont »

I tried the img file. When it boots it shows the Hardkernel logo and then it says "system failure No DTB" in green letters. I'm not sure if this is the already known boot issue, but I haven't been able to get it working.

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

No that sounds different.

OGA or OGA BE?

Tremont
languages_spoken: English

Post by Tremont »

It is the OGA

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

It was getting late by the time I flashed my card, but it worked fine!

I had the same flakey booting as mentioned but persevered and it got there in the end. Managed to install Retroarch and start up a game. Looking forward to a bit more testing today.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

I see Vulcan is on the not working list currently - do you think this can be fixed?

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Shoesy wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:59 pm
I see Vulcan is on the not working list currently - do you think this can be fixed?
Probably not for a while. The gpu supports it but rockchip doesn't. I can get a software version working but performance wouldn't be there.

The only way I see it happening is with the open source bifrost driver...but it's not ready yet.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

I thought i remembered that hardkernel provided an Android Vulcan driver... maybe I’m getting mixed up

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Shoesy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:13 am
I thought i remembered that hardkernel provided an Android Vulcan driver... maybe I’m getting mixed up
Yeah I couldn't find any searching. But if you or anyone find some send them my way. I'll also keep a lookout for new px30 or rk3326 devices. I may be able to use the libs from them if they have support or newer sources.

If anyone finds any useful Android or Kernel patches for any tweak or feature let me know and I'll try to get them applied.

Tagruato_Corporation
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance Black Edition

Post by Tagruato_Corporation »

Amazing work on this, notime2d8! I can't wait to try this out once you've ironed out most of the issues.

I hope you don't mind, I posted this thread on the OdroidGo and OdroidGoAdvance subreddits

https://www.reddit.com/r/OdroidGo/comme ... n_porting/
These users thanked the author Tagruato_Corporation for the post:
notime2d8 (Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:12 am)

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

Got a couple of games working and PSP working. Which version of reDream are you using?

Als, thought KODI might be a good launcher, but 18.7 Leia gets stuck at "waiting on external storage" after giving it permissions. Wonder whats causing that?

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:20 am
Got a couple of games working and PSP working. Which version of reDream are you using?

Als, thought KODI might be a good launcher, but 18.7 Leia gets stuck at "waiting on external storage" after giving it permissions. Wonder whats causing that?
Version 1.1.80? It took a while to find it. I tried about 6 versions. I'll double check on Kodi, it may be from me trying to disable the extra SD card partitions.

Also, FYI suspend and resume works if you disable WiFi first. Need to figure out how to keep it powered during suspend or unload/load it automatically.

Ganjadorno
ODROIDs: Odroid Go and soon to come Odroid Go advance BE

Post by Ganjadorno »

Congratulations man! Next step, Kali nethunter :D could you send me your github of the kernel over? I'd be able to look into it with my team and try to patch it with nethunter stuff. After that, all that is needed, is the Kali chroot zip file and some nethunter apps.

Edit: for emulation, consider preinstalling this app or something similar, so we have a emulation frontend on the device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .alman.dig . this one is free. There are others like "reset" but that costs around 5€

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

So obviously this whole setup is reasonably flakey at the moment, but here's some of my feedback on the Dreamcast bits I could get working!

Redream v 1.18 works nice and easy, but I couldn't get great performance out of it. Maybe the pay version would work better? Doesn't seem to be any options to tinker with in the free version. Scaling etc looks great though.

Flycast standalone is a bit flakey and hard to see (ui scaling is off - too large for a change!). BUT once you get it working it has great performance. Like fractionally better than any of the Linux setups Ive tried on OGA. I tried Jet Set Radio - frame rate reported hovered around the 20fps mark (like it does on RRVL and Emuelec) but the motion on screen was smooth. I switched to 2x scaling without any drop in performance, and turned off some of the extras (fog, clipping etc) for best performance. Sadly though experienced a lot of crashes back to the launcher screen with JSR.
I also tried Quake 3 arena, with similar results, but no crashes which was great. Some slowdown and certainly not a fully smooth experience, but certainly the most playable I've had it running on the OGA.
Flycast core also seems to work ok in Retroarch64 btw, but feels a bit more like it's struggling - fps counter is around the same with JSR, but audio sounds jittery.

Shoesy

Post by Shoesy »

N64:
Cannot get Mupen64 stand alone to work correctly. Retroarch core is too slow even on Mario Kart, FZ standalone crashes when the emu starts. I had a bit more luck with Super64plus, emulator runs at a decent speed from what I can tell, but just cannot get the control pad to work properly in game. Anybody have more luck than me?

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Shoesy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:17 am
N64:
Cannot get Mupen64 stand alone to work correctly. Retroarch core is too slow even on Mario Kart, FZ standalone crashes when the emu starts. I had a bit more luck with Super64plus, emulator runs at a decent speed from what I can tell, but just cannot get the control pad to work properly in game. Anybody have more luck than me?
I'll upload another build later. The current one is set to tv UI. I thought to help with menus and control input. But it makes a lot of apps not open if they're not configured for TV UI, or if they are configured for TV the UI is small since it's made for a bigger screen TV.

Edit: I think the Linux emulators are always going to be better if they are ones leveraging the RGA2 to assist. For android only the UI and some video functions are assisted by the RGA2. If we use the same opensource emulators for Android as Linux, we may be able to add the same tweaks. One main example is PPSSPP.. using the latest nightly is slower than the "much older" version in the reference image. Also Android has a bit more overhead than Linux.

I can maybe fix some of the crashes and tweak android some. But I only have one source for Mali libs, and i don't think they're the best, but all I'm going to get. I don't see performance improving much unless we build/tweak the emulators ourselves, not using generic ones. We can make a list of working/best performing ones though since we have a lot of options.
Last edited by notime2d8 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

Ganjadorno wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:15 pm
Congratulations man! Next step, Kali nethunter :D could you send me your github of the kernel over? I'd be able to look into it with my team and try to patch it with nethunter stuff. After that, all that is needed, is the Kali chroot zip file and some nethunter apps.

Edit: for emulation, consider preinstalling this app or something similar, so we have a emulation frontend on the device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .alman.dig . this one is free. There are others like "reset" but that costs around 5€
Hey, thanks. I'm using the same git as Joy. They have a GitHub setup with basic support. I also have my config posted in the kernel thread. Were you thinking of using a specific USB WiFi stick? So far it doesn't look like the built in WiFi supports concurrent mode, I've spent two days updating code and trying to get WiFi direct working.. .failed. But in between all that, i didn't see options for monitor mode. I'm about to try the 8821cu...

Link viewtopic.php?f=194&t=39482
Last edited by notime2d8 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

Just to let you know, the newest version of Opera Mini from the Play Store sideloaded on this actually works with the dpad and buttons. It does not always highlight what you are gonna press, but I managed to get to youtube and watch some videos.

Also, drastic will not let me go any further from the main screen, as it says something about no access to external memory. Probably the same issues as Kodi.

Also tried Kodi 17.6, same external drive issue as 18.7.
notime2d8 (Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

zztfoxdev wrote:Just to let you know, the newest version of Opera Mini.
TV Bro may work also as it's designed to used with a d-pad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... webbrowser

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I'm curious how native android games perform. At least those that are light enough to start (not asphalt for instance).
And fyi Joy is a lady, not a "he" :) That's the power of the internet, to anonymize people and have you make assumptions.

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:56 pm
I'm curious how native android games perform. At least those that are light enough to start (not asphalt for instance).
And fyi Joy is a lady, not a "he" :) That's the power of the internet, to anonymize people and have you make assumptions.
Mind blown.. I feel like i saw someone else say that and i kept it going... need profile pics. Guess i do need to make my sentences more generic in 2020 :?

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
notime2d8 (Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:31 pm)

Ganjadorno
ODROIDs: Odroid Go and soon to come Odroid Go advance BE

Post by Ganjadorno »

notime2d8 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:27 am
Ganjadorno wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:15 pm

Hey, thanks. I'm using the same git as Joy. They have a GitHub setup with basic support. I also have my config posted in the kernel thread. Were you thinking of using a specific USB WiFi stick? So far it doesn't look like the built in WiFi supports concurrent mode, I've spent two days updating code and trying to get WiFi direct working.. .failed. But in between all that, i didn't see options for monitor mode. I'm about to try the 8821cu...

Link viewtopic.php?f=194&t=39482
There might be some way to get monitor mode working. If not, its fine enough to use an OTG cable with wifi adapter. You can head over to my teams github page ( https://github.com/Team-420 ), maybe you can pick some commits from our nethunter kernels which might get stuff working. Also consider checking in on the nethunter gitlab, there might be a specific patch for 4.19 kernels. good luck!

zztfoxdev

Post by zztfoxdev »

Just a note on PPSSPP, it would not save setting so I went in and manuelly typed in the BOOT location (it was like E365-4675) and set a folder in it for memory card. It still did not wanna save so I rebooted and it worked!

So I am not sure if a reboot fixed this, or me entering the working filesystems location.

Also RetroArch is not wanting to save configuration either.

Had to use My Boy! and My Old Boy! to play gba and gbc, have yet to test wireless multiplayer of which both support.

One last note is that TV Bro does indeed work wonderfully on this.
notime2d8 (Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:26 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

@notime2d8 Since TV Bro works well and is open source you could include it in your build if desired.

https://github.com/truefedex/tv-bro
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
notime2d8 (Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 am)

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

zztfoxdev wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:47 pm
Just a note on PPSSPP, it would not save setting so I went in and manuelly typed in the BOOT location (it was like E365-4675) and set a folder in it for memory card. It still did not wanna save so I rebooted and it worked!

So I am not sure if a reboot fixed this, or me entering the working filesystems location.

Also RetroArch is not wanting to save configuration either.

Had to use My Boy! and My Old Boy! to play gba and gbc, have yet to test wireless multiplayer of which both support.

One last note is that TV Bro does indeed work wonderfully on this.
Going to send a new build your way in a couple of hours. Should have some random errors fixed since I moved back to a tablet build instead of TV, also fixed the issue of all the SD partitions being mounted as storage, and I enabled "performance mode" in one of the graphics components...don't know if it actually helps. I only tested to see if it booted and didn't have any major issues.
These users thanked the author notime2d8 for the post:
odroid (Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 am)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Out of curiosity - can you use the joypad + some buttons as a virtual mouse in your build?

notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

mad_ady wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:06 pm
Out of curiosity - can you use the joypad + some buttons as a virtual mouse in your build?
No, And it's out of my skill set to do so which is part of the issue. That was a feature of the shield handheld but no code was ever released for that. I was debating about trying it on the kernel side... like a key combo sending a sysfs command that changes the d-pad to a gpio-mouse. I also tried a Android TV build that is supposed to work fully with a remote.... it didn't.

I'm going to try tincore mapper later? You can remap keys to mouse input and function like i'm wanting. And we have some suggestions for launchers and browsers that work with the joypad.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Thanks!

Return to “Platform development”