N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post Reply
binxbolling
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by binxbolling »

I had assumed that the N2Plus would use sensors that were supported by lm-sensors, but found that assumption to be wrong. I have an active fan connected to the N2Plus but don't know how to determine if it works, or how to test it. Any recommendations?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5518
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 221 times
Been thanked: 648 times
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by tobetter »

'lm-sensors' won't be supported, you can test these commands to check if FAN works.

Code: Select all

# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/cooling_device*/type
thermal-gpufreq-0
thermal-gpucore-0
pwm-fan
thermal-cpufreq-0
thermal-cpufreq-1
thermal-cpucore-0
# echo 3 > /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/cooling_device2/cur_state

binxbolling
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by binxbolling »

Thank you for your response.

I received the following response after entering "cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/cooling_device*/type":
thermal-gpufreq-0
thermal-gpucore-0
pwm-fan
thermal-cpufreq-0
thermal-cpufreq-1
thermal-cpucore-0

After entering "echo 3 > /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/cooling_device2/cur_state" I received no response.

hominoid
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:55 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2
Location: Lake Superior Basin, USA
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 124 times
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by hominoid »

The HK images have 2 thermal trip points for activating the fan.

Code: Select all

hominoid@odroid-n2plus:~$ cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp
65000
hominoid@odroid-n2plus:~$ cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_5_temp
75000
The easiest way to activate the fan is to change the first trip point to 20c which has the effect of turning the fan on always. There is a slight delay before the fan starts.

Code: Select all

hominoid@odroid-n2plus:~$ echo 20000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp
[sudo] password for hominoid: 
20000
hominoid@odroid-n2plus:~$ 
You can use these command in /etc/rc.local to change the trip points at boot time if you want to set different cooling levels then the default.
These users thanked the author hominoid for the post (total 2):
odroid (Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:06 am) • secuflag (Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm)

binxbolling
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by binxbolling »

Thanks. That worked.

Richardblakecr
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:26 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2 Plus
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by Richardblakecr »

How do I make this change be permanent? I got it to work.. but... when I reboot the fan does not spin. How can I make the fan triggers change permanently?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5518
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 221 times
Been thanked: 648 times
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by tobetter »

Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
How do I make this change be permanent? I got it to work.. but... when I reboot the fan does not spin. How can I make the fan triggers change permanently?
Can you please do an update kernel package so you have 4.9.230-94?
After updating, please check if you have the file /media/boot/amlogic/overlays/odroidn2/fanspeed-full.dtbo.
If you have this file, edit the file /media/boot/config.ini like this. By adding fanspeed-full will make the fan run permanently.

Code: Select all

; Device Tree Overlay
overlay_resize=16384
overlay_profile=
overlays="spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 fanspeed-full"

[overlay_custom]
overlays="i2c0 i2c1"

Richardblakecr
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:26 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2 Plus
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by Richardblakecr »

tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
How do I make this change be permanent? I got it to work.. but... when I reboot the fan does not spin. How can I make the fan triggers change permanently?
Can you please do an update kernel package so you have 4.9.230-94?
After updating, please check if you have the file /media/boot/amlogic/overlays/odroidn2/fanspeed-full.dtbo.
If you have this file, edit the file /media/boot/config.ini like this. By adding fanspeed-full will make the fan run permanently.

Code: Select all

; Device Tree Overlay
overlay_resize=16384
overlay_profile=
overlays="spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 fanspeed-full"

[overlay_custom]
overlays="i2c0 i2c1"
I'm on Android πŸ˜…, but I'll give it a go!

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5518
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 221 times
Been thanked: 648 times
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by tobetter »

Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:44 pm
tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
How do I make this change be permanent? I got it to work.. but... when I reboot the fan does not spin. How can I make the fan triggers change permanently?
Can you please do an update kernel package so you have 4.9.230-94?
After updating, please check if you have the file /media/boot/amlogic/overlays/odroidn2/fanspeed-full.dtbo.
If you have this file, edit the file /media/boot/config.ini like this. By adding fanspeed-full will make the fan run permanently.

Code: Select all

; Device Tree Overlay
overlay_resize=16384
overlay_profile=
overlays="spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 fanspeed-full"

[overlay_custom]
overlays="i2c0 i2c1"
I'm on Android πŸ˜…, but I'll give it a go!
Oh, then there is another instruction here.
viewtopic.php?p=301249#p301249
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Richardblakecr (Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:08 pm)

Richardblakecr
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:26 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2 Plus
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by Richardblakecr »

tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:46 pm
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:44 pm
tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
How do I make this change be permanent? I got it to work.. but... when I reboot the fan does not spin. How can I make the fan triggers change permanently?
Can you please do an update kernel package so you have 4.9.230-94?
After updating, please check if you have the file /media/boot/amlogic/overlays/odroidn2/fanspeed-full.dtbo.
If you have this file, edit the file /media/boot/config.ini like this. By adding fanspeed-full will make the fan run permanently.

Code: Select all

; Device Tree Overlay
overlay_resize=16384
overlay_profile=
overlays="spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 fanspeed-full"

[overlay_custom]
overlays="i2c0 i2c1"
I'm on Android πŸ˜…, but I'll give it a go!
Oh, then there is another instruction here.
viewtopic.php?p=301249#p301249
Thank you, but it did not do anything. After double-checking, but that one command turns it on so, as long as I do not reboot it will be fine I guess.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5518
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 221 times
Been thanked: 648 times
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by tobetter »

Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 pm
tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:46 pm
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:44 pm
tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
How do I make this change be permanent? I got it to work.. but... when I reboot the fan does not spin. How can I make the fan triggers change permanently?
Can you please do an update kernel package so you have 4.9.230-94?
After updating, please check if you have the file /media/boot/amlogic/overlays/odroidn2/fanspeed-full.dtbo.
If you have this file, edit the file /media/boot/config.ini like this. By adding fanspeed-full will make the fan run permanently.

Code: Select all

; Device Tree Overlay
overlay_resize=16384
overlay_profile=
overlays="spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 fanspeed-full"

[overlay_custom]
overlays="i2c0 i2c1"
I'm on Android πŸ˜…, but I'll give it a go!
Oh, then there is another instruction here.
viewtopic.php?p=301249#p301249
Thank you, but it did not do anything. After double-checking, but that one command turns it on so, as long as I do not reboot it will be fine I guess.
Did you update the device tree partition with the file in the link?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
Richardblakecr (Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pm)

Richardblakecr
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:26 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID N2 Plus
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: N2Plus Fan Sensors

Post by Richardblakecr »

tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 pm
tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:46 pm
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:44 pm
tobetter wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am
Richardblakecr wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
How do I make this change be permanent? I got it to work.. but... when I reboot the fan does not spin. How can I make the fan triggers change permanently?
Can you please do an update kernel package so you have 4.9.230-94?
After updating, please check if you have the file /media/boot/amlogic/overlays/odroidn2/fanspeed-full.dtbo.
If you have this file, edit the file /media/boot/config.ini like this. By adding fanspeed-full will make the fan run permanently.

Code: Select all

; Device Tree Overlay
overlay_resize=16384
overlay_profile=
overlays="spi0 i2c0 i2c1 uart0 fanspeed-full"

[overlay_custom]
overlays="i2c0 i2c1"
I'm on Android πŸ˜…, but I'll give it a go!
Oh, then there is another instruction here.
viewtopic.php?p=301249#p301249
Thank you, but it did not do anything. After double-checking, but that one command turns it on so, as long as I do not reboot it will be fine I guess.
Did you update the device tree partition with the file in the link?
I'm running LineageOS 17.1, so the config.ini isn't in the right spot. There was an alternate method, and I've incerted the changes to the boot.ini that worked for the person that had lineageOS 16, but my fan still won't spin. Lol

There is something I punch into the terminal and I can get it to spin by using an echo and tee command.

Later I find out when I try to over clock the system. It won't over clock. Lol, I change the speed and it won't stay changed when I verify it. So there is some more trouble shooting to do, the over clocking was why I wanted the fan on in the first place.

Post Reply

Return to β€œHardware and peripherals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests