Inexpensive 2.5GB switch?

powerful owl
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 2 x HC1, 3 x H2, 1 x H2+

Inexpensive 2.5GB switch?

Post by powerful owl »

Hi, are there inexpensive 2.5GB switches? Or do people just jump to enabling their network for 10GB? Any pointers on the best route to start upgrading (one H2+ on the way) appreciated.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Inexpensive 2.5GB switch?

Post by odroid »

We could buy a 2.5GbE 8 ports switch at ~$150.
viewtopic.php?f=168&t=39326
But it seems to be available in Korea only. :(
These users thanked the author odroid for the post (total 2):
domih (Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 pm) • powerful owl (Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 am)

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec »

powerful owl wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm
Hi, are there inexpensive 2.5GB switches? Or do people just jump to enabling their network for 10GB? Any pointers on the best route to start upgrading (one H2+ on the way) appreciated.
Netgear GS110MX
2 port 10Gb + 8 x 1G are around 160 EUR https://amzn.to/3dK0Tqu, didn't find anything cheaper ...

I upgraded straight to proper (but unmanaged/dumb) 8 x 10Gb Netgear XS508M ... there is also 5 x 10Gb (350 or 280 EUR)
https://amzn.to/3igQ5mY
These users thanked the author igorpec for the post:
powerful owl (Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 am)
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards

Download latest images for Odroids | Build them from sources | Donate to support development

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, H2, C4, H2+

Post by domih »

Here are some models which I called "5-legged sheep category" or "obscenely expensive":

5-legged sheep category
Usually has a bunch of 1 GbE ports + Limited number of 2.5 or 5 GbE ports and/or uplink 10G SFP+ or 10GBaseT (RJ-45) ports.
Most of the times these are "edge" switches enabling you to connect a few computers on a local net and connect the whole thing to higher bandwidth trunks with the uplink ports.
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/12-Port-Gigabit- ... B084MLC83G $149.99
IMHO: this one is unusable for the purpose of connected several systems to the H2+ given it only has 2 x 2.5 GbE RJ-45 ports. Transforming a 10G SFP+ into a 10GBase-T will cost you around $55 for the transceiver.

Obscenely expensive
Usually is a managed switch with Web-based, serial or SSH admin interface. Options such as LACP, VLAN and so on.
Plus the artificial markup because it's "new" and multi-gig.
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-2-5GBAS ... B079Z2SHCX $449.99

Tips
The switch you want (or not) and the budget for it depend entirely on what you would like to do. For instance: if you are going to use max 3 computers/SBCs over 2.5 GbE, have a dual port on one of the system (like the H2+) and connect each system to one of the ports. Done. No need for a switch. For 3+ up to 8 nodes, yes you need a switch (sadly current prices are: $500 - $800). For more, e.g. 16, 24, 36, 48 ports: n x $$$$.

If you're planning to bond the two H2+ ports, you'll need a switch with LACP.

Parallel threads
viewtopic.php?f=168&t=39323
viewtopic.php?f=168&t=39326
viewtopic.php?f=171&t=39174
Last edited by domih on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author domih for the post:
powerful owl (Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:54 am)

powerful owl

Post by powerful owl »

Hi folks, thanks for the info :) It seems I should just wait a little while for prices to come down...

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec »

powerful owl wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 am
Hi folks, thanks for the info :) It seems I should just wait a little while for prices to come down...
Cheapest way is to buy USB3 based 2.5Gbe (https://amzn.to/3e0ULKo) for your desktop and make a direct cable to your H2. If this solution is good enough?
These users thanked the author igorpec for the post:
powerful owl (Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm)
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards

Download latest images for Odroids | Build them from sources | Donate to support development

domih

Post by domih »

igorpec wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:10 am
powerful owl wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 am
Cheapest way is to buy USB3 based 2.5Gbe (https://amzn.to/3e0ULKo) for your desktop and make a direct cable to your H2. If this solution is good enough?
Yes but be aware that the USB3 adapters based on the RTL8156 are not stable. See viewtopic.php?f=172&t=38713. As of this writing it is preferable to use a PCIe card based on the RTL8125 when possible. Hopefully USB3 adapters based on the RTL8156B will show up sooner than later.
These users thanked the author domih for the post:
powerful owl (Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm)

powerful owl

Post by powerful owl »

igorpec wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:10 am
Hi, thanks Igor, my network knowledge is a bit limited, but what I was hoping to do was to have the H2+ communicate with 3xH2 running a DFS (MooseFS). In theory the DFS can deliver from all 3 servers at the same time. If that worked then I would get adapters for my other desktops.

Perhaps your suggestion can work for some of the file system if I split it up. I will think on it.

@odroid I don't suppose Hard Kernel has considered making a 2.5G switch/router to "match" the H2+? I have no idea if it's feasible - 8 x ports with an ARM running OpenWRT? (I guess not otherwise they might already exist.)

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

We have no plan to make our own 2.5GbE switch product at this moment since it is really hard to estimate how many units we can sell.

How about making a M.2 add-on board for the H2+ which has four additional 2.5GbE Ethernet ports? That 4 ports 2.5GbE add-on board could be around $55 hopefully.
But, my major concern that J4115 SoC has enough computing power to handle(switch) SIX 2.5GbE ports simultaneously?
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
rooted (Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:25 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

odroid wrote:We have no plan to make our own 2.5GbE switch product at this moment since it is really hard to estimate how many units we can sell.

How about making a M.2 add-on board for the H2+ which has four additional 2.5GbE Ethernet ports? That 4 ports 2.5GbE add-on board could be around $55 hopefully.
But, my major concern that J4115 SoC has enough computing power to handle(switch) SIX 2.5GbE ports simultaneously?
That's an innovative idea :)

misaz
languages_spoken: english, czech
ODROIDs: H2+

Post by misaz »

Exchange PCIe x4 lane for 4x 2.5 GBit ethernet is posible but the problem is that it could be done only using PCIe switch chip which is pretty expensive. As I know SOC do not support separating x4 lanes to 4 x1 lanes.

In that case you will get 4 physical ports, not switched one. If you want to switch traffic between that you need to make it using software bridge. Mikrotik develops network devices which some of them do bridging on switch ports and performance is not as poor as expected. In fact they are using low performance ARM chips soo I think that J4115 SoC could do that at wire speed for both GBit and 2.5Gbit speeds.

domih

Post by domih »

Hardkernel could do a proof of concept (and Wiki article) at low cost in terms of engineering resources with off the shelf hardware and software:

- M.2 to PCIe 2.0 x4 (e.g. https://ameridroid.com/collections/new/ ... r-straight)
- PCIe 4-port 1 GbE NIC (around $45 on Amazon or NewEgg, used ones around $20 on eBay)

This gives you 2 x 1 GbE + 4 x 1 GbE with an H2 or 2 x 2.5 GbE + 4 x 1 GbE with an H2+, 6 ports.

- The two USB3 can be used as 2 x 1 GbE or 2 x 2.5 GbE or 1 x 1 GbE + 1 x 2.5 GbE making it 8 ports
or
1 x 1 GbE or 1 x 2.5 GbE making it 7 ports plus a USB 3 to mPCie adapter(*) in which you can insert a WiFi 6 card (a.k.a. 802.11ax)

(*) See https://store.rakwireless.com/products/ ... -usb-board

So without hardware changes at the board level you end up with 8-ports or 7-ports + WiFi 6. The proof of concept can be investigated with already existing multi-port 1 GbE NICs before dedicating engineers to the creation of a PCIe 2.0 x4 with 4 x 2.5GbE ports.

OpenWRT(*) could be used as base OS for making an H2 or H2+ a router/switch.

(*) https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/instructionset/x86_64

Given my experience with NICs going further than 10 GbE and the system topping at 11 GbE as sender and 14 GbE as receiver, I would tend to think that the system will degrade (hopefully nicely) on 7 or 8 x 2.5 GbE with simultaneous sessions. However we are talking individual or SOHO usage here not full enterprise, so would it be an issue? Not really IMHO.

The NVMe being used for PCIe 2 x4, the OS can be ran from the eMMC or from a SATA SSD. If from the eMMC (64GB or higher) you still have 2 x SATA III ports for 2 x HDD in RAID 1 or HDD + SSD caching.

With up to 32GB of memory an H2 or H2+ can do a lot of things beyond routing and switching (Samba, Transmission, etc...)

Mm...?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I don't know how well would a software switch perform when you have high-speed ports, combined with maybe small packets, you get a lot of packets per second and interrupts. There's a performance reason why these are all handled by ASICs in switches.
So yes, you could do it if you have a h2+ with a bunch of ports, but it would waste energy compared to an asic-based solution.
The advantage is, as mentioned, you'd get openwrt support (not sure if there is any good dual-band wifi that can do multi-ap that could be added), individual port control (enable/disable/metrics), snmp, etc - features that usually require a higher end asic in a regular switch.

I personally prefer a dedicated router that doesn't run any non-essential services. There is a smaller chance to misconfigure something and expose internal data.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
domih (Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:53 am)

domih

Post by domih »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:38 pm
I don't know how well would a software switch perform when you have high-speed ports, combined with maybe small packets, you get a lot of packets per second and interrupts. There's a performance reason why these are all handled by ASICs in switches.
So yes, you could do it if you have a h2+ with a bunch of ports, but it would waste energy compared to an asic-based solution.
The advantage is, as mentioned, you'd get openwrt support (not sure if there is any good dual-band wifi that can do multi-ap that could be added), individual port control (enable/disable/metrics), snmp, etc - features that usually require a higher end asic in a regular switch.

I personally prefer a dedicated router that doesn't run any non-essential services. There is a smaller chance to misconfigure something and expose internal data.
I agree with you on each point, especially the part "...a dedicated router that doesn't run any non-essential services...". This point is also about performance. For a small business you usually want three discrete units: Modem/Gateway + Router + Local Switch. Many small businesses use only a Router to play the 3 roles. In case of simultaneous heavy usage from half a dozen persons, you feel the router tottering. I experienced it personally.

On the other hand, it would not be the first time (nor the last) when a "personal usage" SBC is used for something it was not designed for. Individual and SOHO usage is very low compared to corporate departments with 40+ users or data centers so the rules can be bent significantly.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

What worries me most with a software switch is - there will be variable delay between packets, which might introduce jitter and may affect real-time applications.

misaz

Post by misaz »

Software switch (alias bridge) is not designed to be high performance switching and cannot beat ASIC used in normal switch but still have some advantages that HW switch do not have. For example software switch can switch packetes betwen different media interfaces like switching packets between ethernet and Wi-Fi. Another most common issue why someone use software bridge is security. At software level you can do anythink you want. You can for example do for example deep packet inspection, statefull firewall or exporting netflow. This is usualy impossible using HW switch. Similar features are implemented in hardware only on extremly expensive devices like cisco with price >10 000 USD.

Note that all current home (and some enterprise) Wi-FI routers (router, switch and Wi-FI AP in one device) do bridging (between ethernet switchchip and Wi-Fi AP) and their user do not experience any high service disruptions or performance degradation due to bridge. In hardware and Linux it is done in that way that received packet procesing is caused by interrupt and it is processed in kernel space with extremely high priorty. That cause only small jitter and latency deviation. There are usualy no or very low lattency caused by process scheduiling or any other OS feature. There could by only lattency caused by other interrupt (for example from second port).

It is about priorities. If your priority is extremely high performance you will never use bridge unless there are no hardware accelerated solution (for example. mentioned bridge in Wi-FI AP). If you have top most priority security and do not worry about performance so o much (this is example of middle and large enterprises) bridge is no problem for you and you colud benefit from it.

That thing I mentioned couple of posts above It was only example that actiang as switch over non switched ports is possible. I also do not recommend it. Odroid H2+ never would be high performance switch because it is not designed to be that. It could (and it is) be high performance router. Note that the most of today routers do routing in software (routing table is implemented in Linux, not any chip) and only very expensive devices do that in hardware.

Lot of slow ARM or MIPS routers have enough performance to do routing (or bridging) at speeds reaching full line speed and Odroid H2+ also could do that. It could much more things for example security applicance as I metioned or running VM with some additional applications. Note that there are users confirming that Odroid H2 have enough performance to handle 10 Gbps large packets traffic so 8 * 2.5 GBps (2 embeded 2.5G, 4 using some hacks on M.2 slot and 2 connected to USB3.0 port) is probably possible to handle by x86 CPU without issue.
These users thanked the author misaz for the post:
PigLover (Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:41 am)

InsideJob
languages_spoken: English, Greek, Spanish

Post by InsideJob »

StarTech.com makes a gigabit cat6 crossover ethernet adapter for $15. Don't know if it'll be reliable at 2.5G but I guess there's only one way to find out for sure. I wonder if you could daisy chain H2s and skip the switch entirely... hmm. 💡

PigLover
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, HC1, MC1

Post by PigLover »

InsideJob wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm
StarTech.com makes a gigabit cat6 crossover ethernet adapter for $15. Don't know if it'll be reliable at 2.5G but I guess there's only one way to find out for sure. I wonder if you could daisy chain H2s and skip the switch entirely... hmm. 💡
You can do this today - without magic crossover cables. Almost all 1gbe and higher NICs are "autosense" (can figure out by themselves whether the other end is a switch or another NIC) and do not require cross-over cables. Just manually configure the addressing on both ends and your off to the races.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

@misaz you're right - having more features might be worth the trouble. I have tried in the past to manually add a wifi card in an ethernet bridge, but failed - it wouldn't let me. If you have a recepie available, I'd like to hear about it (plan is to bridge wifi to a docker instance by using a software bridge).

@InsideJob I only used crossover cables in switches about 15 years ago, when I started to learn networking. Since then all networking gear had mdi/mdx ports that do media sense and can work with whatever cables.
You can dasychain multiple units together. I suggest enabling STP and creating a physical loop (e.g. connect the final node back to your router), so that shutting down/rebooting one node doesn't isolate the nodes downstream. Your router will need to support stp as well. Without stp, you'll have a great broadcast storm instead :D

misaz

Post by misaz »

I found that solution that I mentioned with PCIe switch and 4x 2.5G ethernet exists. I have not tested it but I hope it works.

https://www.ioi.com.cn/products/product ... 0200325001

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

misaz wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:33 pm
I found that solution that I mentioned with PCIe switch and 4x 2.5G ethernet exists. I have not tested it but I hope it works.

https://www.ioi.com.cn/products/product ... 0200325001
I have seen this as well but not a price or details or what type of PHY they are using (realtek maybe or custom?) I'm sure this sort of thing will be more widely available as time goes on.

I've used the H2 as a test router with pfsense and cheap dell/broadcom based quad port gigabit pcie card and it worked well (I use current H2 for other purpose so it could not stay). I was waiting for new stock once again and it now has 2.5Gbps ports as a H2+ I need to rethink my plan a little. Part of that planning is finding out where I can find a cost effective hardware 2.5G switch.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

We've started a concept design of 4-ports 2.5GbE add-on board for H2 and H2+ platforms. It has four RTL8125B chips.
This board can be attached to the bottom side of H2/H2+ via M.2 PCIe interface. There are one M.2 screw hole and two more holes for secure mounting.
4ports_2.5GbE_addon.png
4ports_2.5GbE_addon.png (69.63 KiB) Viewed 905 times
I hope we can see some test results a couple of months later.
We will ask to forum members to learn how to test the 6 ports Ethernet switch performance once a prototype sample appears.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post (total 6):
brad (Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:57 pm) • misaz (Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:31 pm) • hominoid (Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:41 pm) • PigLover (Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 pm) • domih (Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:40 pm) • elatllat (Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:15 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

That's awesome Odroid, this could turn the new H2 into the least expensive 6 port 2.5 Gbit secure appliance with much higher performance than those with a higher price.
Last edited by rooted on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

An addon board may be the most versatile (instead of a dedicated odroid). I couldn't estimate the demand for it, though.
Regarding testing - do you guys have access to a hardware traffic generator like Ixia/Spirent?

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2

Post by hominoid »

This would be awesome if it goes into production. It would help solve my network upgrade problems. Great idea!

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

I like it and hope it can go into production once ready!

A consideration might be the power output of the M2 socket. With the pcie card i'm currently using the power is supplied from the sata power connector but im not sure how much one of those 2.5G realtek's would consume over longer cables so it is probably fine?

I also wonder if the board might have a pcie x4 hub on it or the intel pcie bridge can support the 4 pcie x1 lanes on the M.2 socket direct. I'm thinking about high speed switching here and if a hub would provide better or worse support for peer to peer PCIe channel communications for those 4 add on ports.

domih

Post by domih »

QNAP is releasing a 5-port 2.5GbE Network Switch.

https://www.techpowerup.com/269979/qnap ... ork-switch

As someone says in the comment section, it is supposedly available in Taiwan: https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DRAFE2-A900AOQUL for TW $2999 = US $101.94.

It will be interesting to see how much it costs once it lands in the technological 3rd world countries like the US of A. Will QNAP be the first to blink and release a sub-$200 2.5G switch in the US? It would be funny if it were them. Then the usual culprits like Netgear, DLink, Trendnet, TP-Link, etc will have to align their prices to the new reality: 2.5G is the new 1G, it costs about the same to make so it should sell for about the same price as 1G. Because it's "new" I'm sure they will procrastinate for 2 or 3 years, unless it becomes too painful because people are not buying their $400+ models (merchandise sleeping in warehouses costs $$$).
Last edited by domih on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Can't trust anything that says this:
The QSW-1105-5T features a fanless design for near-silent operation. 

domih

Post by domih »

rooted wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 am
5 x 2.5GbE can live without a fan, IMHO.

domih

Post by domih »

By the way, If you click on the Buy button (which I guessed was the red one), you get an alert saying "此商品已經售完" which means "This product is sold out". So it is very likely that they created the product page but have not received the goods yet.

This means South Korea is still for now the only civilized country where you can actually buy a cheap 8 x 2.5GbE switch :D

rooted

Post by rooted »

domih wrote:
rooted wrote:
It was a joke, no fan but still makes noise.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

rooted wrote:
domih wrote:
rooted wrote:
It was a joke, no fan but still makes noise.
The noise is caused by buzzing from the PSU Image

domih

Post by domih »

mad_ady wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 pm
An addon board may be the most versatile (instead of a dedicated odroid). I couldn't estimate the demand for it, though.
Regarding testing - do you guys have access to a hardware traffic generator like Ixia/Spirent?
I looked at their web site https://www.ixiacom.com/products/ixload, https://www.spirent.com/solutions/lab-a ... ce-testing as well as https://www.apposite-tech.com/wp-conten ... d-Ixia.pdf. These things probably cost your shirt, pants and underwear. They also look like "overfeatured" and overpowered for the task at hand. We're talking about 6 x 2.5 ports here.

Back in the early 2000s during a mission I was in charge of writing the software for simulating the load of 10,000+ users doing their phone sync. I wrote the engine, two other guys wrote the protocol and encryption parts. The goal was to load test the server responsible to handle the syncs. We were successful: we killed the server in 10 minutes :-) The whole simulation was written in Jython (Python over Java - because the solution we delivered had to be Java...) running on 12 Dell blades in a rack, 1,000 or more simulated users with unique IP per blade.

Today a PC with enough CPU cores and 6 x 2.5 GbE NICs has enough power to cripple the planned 6 x 2.5 GbE ports card in a few seconds.

My suggestion: have an in-house SE writing a simulator + instrumentation with configurable scenarios, it will cost you much less. What you want to know is how H2+ & Card behave under various heavy loads, latency under various loads, number of packets per second, stuff like that. Nothing fancy IMHO.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

I agree Ixia/Spirent devices are expensive (disclosure - my wife works for Ixia), but they can generate custom traffic patterns and (I think) can analyze the return traffic and measure jitter, drops, etc. If none is available I was think8ng of borrowing/renting one. I think a bunch of h2+ running hping3 could generate enough traffic, but it would be more difficult to meajure jitter/delay through the software switch.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Great!
We will send some free engineering samples to your wife to measure the performance and jitters. ;)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

If only she wasn't working from home this year...

PigLover
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, HC1, MC1

Post by PigLover »

Expected to hit the street well under $200: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qsw-1105-5t
These users thanked the author PigLover for the post:
powerful owl (Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:26 pm)

nemi
Has thanked: 0

Post by nemi »

I have got the Qnap today for 115€ in Germany. It is working. Maximum speed from Intel 225V to Odroid 2,4 Gbit. When doing that and trying to use the Internet I had big lags. I'm working with to connections now on the PC. One for internet (simple GBit and one dedicated to the NAS). It think that will be the best "cheap" solution for the next months.
These users thanked the author nemi for the post (total 2):
odroid (Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 am) • domih (Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:34 pm)

domih

Post by domih »

nemi wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:25 am
I have got the Qnap today for 115€ in Germany. It is working. Maximum speed from Intel 225V to Odroid 2,4 Gbit. When doing that and trying to use the Internet I had big lags. I'm working with to connections now on the PC. One for internet (simple GBit and one dedicated to the NAS). It think that will be the best "cheap" solution for the next months.
Good for you!

It has not landed in the US of A. For now, one can read more and more about it, for instance: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15916/at ... ort-switch

[Off-topic]
The comments section reveals the usual reactions "who needs 10G at home?", "SFP+ has nothing to do at home!", "normal people do not need <this or that>". I'm LMYAO. This is the same category of people who were saying "who needs 32-bit?", "who needs 1G?", "who needs 64-bit?", "who needs 1GB of memory?", "who needs 4 cores?" and so on. I guess each generation has a sampling of these people who keep posting these banalities online. Fortunately there are others who do not ask "who needs?" and simply do it for their benefit or the benefit of all. Thank you H2+ :-)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

[Off Topic] Yeah, I'm one of those people resisting change . Took me almost a decade to move to 64 bits... Also was a late adopter of gigabit for home use (had to wait until it was dirt-cheap). Used Windows 95 when WindowsXP was a thing. And the list could go on...
Actually, I became interested in SBCs in an attempt to move away from big, wasteful PCs (maybe I enjoy minimalism?).

I couldn't tell you exactly why we're like this - I'd have to ask my psychiatrist . I do admit I feel pain throwing away something that still works, but is obsolete. For example I gave away a 10 year old PDA I once used, because I couldn't find the heart to throw it out... I'm worried now about what I can do with my first C1, since Hardkernel keeps pumping boards out...
I hate for them to collect dust in a drawer.

Ontopic - I'm glad new technology is making into the homes, because early adopters help prices come down. So yeah, I'll be upgrading to 2.5Gbps... in a decade or so...

rooted

Post by rooted »

And this coming from a network engineer :)

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

What can I say... It's not my fault... Scumbag brain makes me be like this

domih

Post by domih »

Do like the character in the GATTACA movie: swim forward as far as possible without saving the energy to come back!

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”