D-Pad Membranes and Sensitivity

ThatOneSeong
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance BE (v1.1, Clear)
Has thanked: 0

D-Pad Membranes and Sensitivity

Post by ThatOneSeong »

Hi! Just got my OGA two days ago, and I've been loving the experience so far. Though I have to admit that I've disassembled my unit close to ten times by now because of one little quirk.

I have a custom D-pad and buttons set. The buttons are totally fine, but it seems no matter what pads I use for the D-pad, I can't quite get the diagonals to be easy to reach.
The GBC membrane in particular seems to be the worst with this. I added some tape to the center point beneath the pad to act as a stepping stone so the D-pad can rock more naturally, but unfortunately without it being able to depress flat, diagonals are near impossible to reach. The stock (HardKernel's) d-pad membrane actually feels pretty nice, and it certainly does depress the cardinal directions easier even with tape to keep the d-pad from going flat; however the diagonals are still pretty difficult to reach, sometimes feeling as if I have to force it into the corners to activate them.

Basically this long rambly bit is to ask; what are you guys' preferred D-pad rubber parts, and/or is there a common solution to making the d-pad corners more sensitive? Ironically enough, trying to search on the webs gives more results about Pro Controller over-sensitivity, not under-sensitivity.
Just your average Seong here. Nothing more to see.
<3

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: D-Pad Membranes and Sensitivity

Post by odroid »

I saw some users preferred the GBP(Gameboy Pocket) silicon membrane and its D-pad for some shooting and fighting games.
But we didn't try it by ourselves.

Which games do you use to test the D-pad sensitivity and functionality?
It seems to be really hard to find a nice trade-off point between the cardinal and the diagonal directions for various game genre since we don't have a human-machine interface engineer. :oops:
If we focused on improving the diagonal directions too much, the cardinal direction inputs were getting worse.

I want to hear other well experienced users' ideas too for the future improvements.

ThatOneSeong

Post by ThatOneSeong »

odroid wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:18 pm
I saw some users preferred the GBP(Gameboy Pocket) silicon membrane and its D-pad for some shooting and fighting games.
But we didn't try it by ourselves.

Which games do you use to test the D-pad sensitivity and functionality?
It seems to be really hard to find a nice trade-off point between the cardinal and the diagonal directions for various game genre since we don't have a human-machine interface engineer. :oops:
If we focused on improving the diagonal directions too much, the cardinal direction inputs were getting worse.

I want to hear other well experienced users' ideas too for the future improvements.
Well for one, I'm very happy to see the manufacturer be so honest - even when they really don't have to be.
And for second, this post made me very relieved to know the extra money I spent on GBP pads in advance for this unit finally gets some use. I switched over to it, and indeed it feels SO much better for all-around directional movements - even if it's at the cost of a bit less travel and a teensy bit more firmness, it performs better.
At least, in my opinion; to be frank, I was extremely hesitant to post about this because I felt like I was the only person who felt this conflicted over the D-pad, like my unit was somehow flawed for whatever reason. But, no, I guess I'm just crazy enough to care about these small details.

Anyways, games... usually the first thing I check is the Capcom Play System 2's service menu, of all things? It's because the Input Test it provides gives an immediate graphical representation of the eight possible directional inputs. A good alternative to that (and probably more obvious) is some kind of RPG like the Golden Sun games (GBA) or a side-scrolling beat-em-up (most of Capcom's arcade library, amongst other platforms); games where characters have traditional eight-directional movement are easy to see in a practical sense how much pressure certain directions take. You probably don't want to be in a situation where the character stops moving because left and up stop being registered. Fighters work just as well: Street Fighter, 2 or Alpha, stuff like that, are the obvious ones, since I can get a feel for both rolling maneuvers (fireball motions and the like) and dragon punches, which are the most frequented maneuvers in the genre, typically.
Only reason I know all of this is because I've spent every day since I've got my Odroid trying to figure this stuff out, which has been close to a week now. I have wayyyyy too much time on my hands. :shock:

But yeah, I want to hear more from other people as well, what other options are out there; if only to somehow justify what I've done so far and convince me that I'm not insane over buttons.

P.S.: I don't think you guys get enough credit for the durability of the casing. I've had to take this apart at least ten times in the past few days and it feels as solid as it was when I first got it out of the box. For as exhausting as the process was, working on this thing in general was actually kinda fun, at least when it works how I want it to anyways- :D
These users thanked the author ThatOneSeong for the post:
odroid (Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am)
<3

BrianFitz
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance BE (Ordered)
Been thanked: 0

Post by BrianFitz »

I've had my OGA-BE for a few weeks now and I'm using all the stock buttons/pads ( I didn't purchase any alternative ones to try). At first I found the D-pad a little high, or raised, when compared to my son's switch light or the 8bitdo SNES bluetooth gamepads I have, but I've been playing quite a bit and I've quickly gotten used to it. I didn't really notice any issues with sensitivity with the games I had been playing (Metroid Fusion, Road Rash PS1, Tekken 3 and some platformers like Mario games), but when I started playing Zelda the Minish Cap for GBA I instantly noticed what you are describing regarding the effort or force required to move in diagonal directions. With EMUElec (I haven't anything else) the analog stick is already configured so that you can use it in place of the D-pad and I've just switched to using that instead, which I've actually come to prefer for the top down style games.

ThatOneSeong

Post by ThatOneSeong »

BrianFitz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 am
With EMUElec (I haven't anything else) the analog stick is already configured so that you can use it in place of the D-pad and I've just switched to using that instead, which I've actually come to prefer for the top down style games.
Eh, I'd like to be able to use both as equal alternatives to one-another, and not leave one functionally handicapped - especially when the d-pad is in a, frankly, more ergonomically pleasing position.
<3

WouterVE
ODROIDs: Odroid go advance
XU4

Post by WouterVE »

Hi,

I want to replace the membranes for the face buttons, which type will I need to use (gbp?)?

ThatOneSeong

Post by ThatOneSeong »

WouterVE wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:38 pm
Hi,

I want to replace the membranes for the face buttons, which type will I need to use (gbp?)?
Not necessarily the same topic, but, GB Color button pads are directly interchangeable; Pocket button pads could work, but you'd need to make your own second mounting hole to get them situated.
<3

WouterVE
ODROIDs: Odroid go advance
XU4

Post by WouterVE »

ThatOneSeong wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58 pm

Not necessarily the same topic, but, GB Color button pads are directly interchangeable; Pocket button pads could work, but you'd need to make your own second mounting hole to get them situated.
Ok sry I was doubting to post new topic or here.
Thanks for your information, I'll buy GBC pads then.

Kr
Wouter

Return to “General Topics”