Fresh start Odroid N2 Ubuntu Studio 2020

CoolGames
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Dec 25 N2

Fresh start Odroid N2 Ubuntu Studio 2020

Post by CoolGames »

This is a fork continuation of a topic of making Ubuntu Studio work on the Odroid N2

This discussion was needing separation from audio issue and testing in other spaces.

There is a distribution Ubuntu specifically for x86 called Ubuntu Studio as decribed in the HANDBOOK

This is a tailored variation that in theory can be made to run on the ARM64 platform and thus make a low cost digital audio workstation.

This topic is for tracing the tailoring and testing for those interested.

I started with a 32 bit version in 2010 and got it running on MacBook as well.
I have abandoned those as expensive and underperforming.
In 2014 I was given an HP Sprout 3D workstation and felt it was adequate for Ubuntu Studio but it was proven difficult to make it work dual boot for comparison.
I later bought a dedicated System 76 Lemur (Lemu6) and added the studio features to manufacturers supported Ubuntu 16.04 installation.
Now in 2020 I installed fresh Ubuntu Studio 20.04 then added the repository for the manufacturers System 76 drivers.

Since Ubuntu Studio is community driver there is no actual hardware built solely as a Ubuntu Studio digital audio workstation.

Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS 64 bit does not mean ARM64 !!!
This is the goal of this discussion.
To create a specific installation for Ubuntu Studio for the Odroid N2 and maybe by then other Odroid and ARM64 systems.

Thanks for reading and contributing.
These users thanked the author CoolGames for the post (total 2):
istanbulls (Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:52 pm) • odroid (Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:16 am)

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Re: Fresh start Odroid N2 Ubuntu Studio 2020

Post by igorpec »

If you know what has to be installed on top of the Ubuntu server or desktop image, this is - with Armbian build system - fairly straightforward:

User provided image customization script
https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guid ... ion-script
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards

Download latest images for Odroids | Build them from sources | Donate to support development

CoolGames

Post by CoolGames »

igorpec wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:13 pm
If you know what has to be installed on top of the Ubuntu server or desktop image, this is - with Armbian build system - fairly straightforward:

User provided image customization script
https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guid ... ion-script
Sorry to say that Armbian is not in a simple path from Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS so it would be a disruption of the goal.

But I could be swayed if there was a better community to develop a new distribution Armbian Studio.

Could you look in the Armbian repository for mention of Ubuntu Studio, LMMS and recordmydesktop ?

I would ask you quickly try LMMS and recordmydesktop to compare "Dirty Love" as I have just done to test audio and video performance with out jackd overhead.

LMMS_Mate.ogv.zip
Compressed - LMMS - Dirty Love on Ubuntu Mate 20.04 - Odroid N2
(6.33 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Colors were off in the recorded desktop and audio was reduced to 1 channel 22050 for capture efficiency.
Your mileage may vary !

Record My Desktop - LMMS - Dirty Love
Record My Desktop - LMMS - Dirty Love
Recorded video - Screenshot at 2020-06-21 11-17-55.png (333.88 KiB) Viewed 262 times

igorpec

Post by igorpec »

CoolGames wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:50 am
Sorry to say that Armbian is not in a simple path from Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS so it would be a disruption of the goal.
Armbian is a (sophisticated) build system for building Debian or Ubuntu based OS on various hardware platform.

https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-armbian
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7787-wh ... ment-58689
CoolGames wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:50 am
to develop a new distribution Armbian Studio
Development was already done. What you are asking is called porting ... Ubuntu says they are using low latency kernel (which might be needed for this kind of work) with this Studio and that is also possible to achieve in Armbian / Odroid N2 ... but that brings some extra work and can be done later. Start with Armbian Focal server and build things together manually and if / when you succeeds, script this and pass it to the build system ... and you get always uptodate Studio distribution.
ARMBIAN

Download latest images for Odroids | Build them from sources | Donate to support development

CoolGames

Post by CoolGames »

igorpec wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 am
Development was already done. What you are asking is called porting ... Ubuntu says they are using low latency kernel (which might be needed for this kind of work) with this Studio and that is also possible to achieve in Armbian / Odroid N2 ... but that brings some extra work and can be done later. Start with Armbian Focal server and build things together manually and if / when you succeeds, script this and pass it to the build system ... and you get always up to date Studio distribution.
The goal is one image ARM64 Studio from one place.

I am not interested in starting over with a new server kernel as Ubuntu Studio has been around since Ubuntu 2016 Xenial.
If Armbian uses ports.ubuntu.com repositories then the deb packages (arm64 since 2016) would work.
If not, then that is a show stopper for Armbian.

I am not an electrical engineer or systems programmer.
I am a hobby end user for audio and video applications.
I could buy AKAI MPC Live II and be done if all I wanted was a DAW instead of LMMS.
Or
An all-in-one DJ from Pioneer instead of Mixxx
Or
a Yamaha workstation instead of Rosegarden.
These are music / MIDI tools already tested on Odroid N2 Ubuntu netinstall.

Then there is Blender, Inkscape and Gimp to also evaluate before ever getting into publishing suite applications from Ubuntu Studio.

Sorry, to be so blunt but try to install Ubuntu Studio on an Intel machine then ARM64 then come back with a counter proposal to demonstrating my early music video on ARM64 Odroid N2 !
I been there and done that now for 6 years !

Again, if you want to use recordmydesktop of LMMS playing "Dirty Lover" and verify simple path to an ALSA flavor subset then I can reciprocate and evaluate Armbian Focal with Mate desktop as is
the standard for many Ubuntu distributions.

Even more resolute would be test installing Ubuntu Studio Desktop instead of XFCE knowing the XFCE4 is scheduled to be replaced with Plasma in September release 20.10.
I demonstrated that running with the netinstall already elsewhere in the Odroid N2 pages.
Issue was Mixxx with hardware acceleration, so I leave acceleration out for now since Mixxx is part of Ubuntu Studio repertoire when fully configured.

igorpec

Post by igorpec »

CoolGames wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:53 am
igorpec wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 am
Development was already done. What you are asking is called porting ... Ubuntu says they are using low latency kernel (which might be needed for this kind of work) with this Studio and that is also possible to achieve in Armbian / Odroid N2 ... but that brings some extra work and can be done later. Start with Armbian Focal server and build things together manually and if / when you succeeds, script this and pass it to the build system ... and you get always up to date Studio distribution.
The goal is one image ARM64 Studio from one place.

I am not interested in starting over with a new server kernel as Ubuntu Studio has been around since Ubuntu 2016 Xenial.
But there is no such thing ATM, right? And if you want this now, I show you one possible way. No, what you want its not easy to achieve which is why it doesn't exists.
CoolGames wrote:
If Armbian uses ports.ubuntu.com repositories then the deb packages (arm64 since 2016) would work.
If not, then that is a show stopper for Armbian.
"Ubuntu Studio" is a mix of freely available audio video applications. Ubuntu is a commercialized / repacked / rebranded and ofc also improved version of Debian ... Armbian is 100% compatible on a user land with Ubuntu or Debian. In fact its made from their packages. Just a few - the most important ones (Device Enablement) - comes from Armbian labs.
CoolGames wrote:
I am not an electrical engineer or systems programmer.
I am more in those circles, obviously, but I know little about Audio Video stuff.
CoolGames wrote:
Even more resolute would be test installing Ubuntu Studio Desktop instead of XFCE knowing the XFCE4 is scheduled to be replaced with
Desktop environment contributes nothing to the ability to run certain applications - some audio video stuff that you are interested in. (Commercial) Linux distros are constantly changing the way how they look since this makes you believe its good for you. Sometimes is, mainly not. You want to make some music or not the right desktop icons / wallpaper / branding prevents you from that?

*Studio could also be spinned from Gnome or any other desktop. Or from Debian, Arch or whatever ...

Blender on N2 / with Armbian:

ARMBIAN

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 H2 (64 bit ftw)

Post by brad »

I did attempt to migrate my Ubuntu Studio x84 machine to C2 arm64 a few years back on 16.04 (and it was Armbian variant if I recall)

Igorpec is right some of the packages are specifically written for x86 / x64 (well they at least were back then) being heavily optimised for real time performance on Intel cpus making them difficult to try to port without a rewrite. Looking at the Ubuntu Studio developers now they do appear to have picked up development pace recently compared to the last few years so maybe they would consider to port at some stage.

At the time I decided to use the standard ubuntu packages for most things and then some of the tools from kxstudio which gave a very nice user interface for some key features to finish off the build, in my case a DAW / DSP. Although you maybe already aware you can see the list of packages they provide here https://kx.studio/Repositories:Applications and these repositories can be added to Ubuntu arm64.

I did have a problem with the libjackd libraries in Ubuntu / Debian back then for arm64 but had the fix pushed upstream and newer Ubuntu versions no longer have the problems.

Lastly most of the arm64 kernel's you will find these days (hardkernel / mainline / armbian) will be configured as low latency by default so it should not be a problem using the standard kernels unless you need minimal latency through the DAW (live unrecorded music processing). I was using my machine mostly for adding live effects to guitar input so needed to ensure latency was kept to minimum (wanting to hear the modified output without delay at the same time my finger struck the string). I'm working on a Realtime kernel build for N2 / C4 so sometime in next few months when realtime patches for 5.8 are released i'll be basing off this. It may help if audio latency is upmost priority for your work.
These users thanked the author brad for the post:
CoolGames (Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:27 am)

CoolGames

Post by CoolGames »

brad wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 pm
I did attempt to migrate my Ubuntu Studio x84 machine to C2 arm64 a few years back on 16.04 (and it was Armbian variant if I recall)

Igorpec is right some of the packages are specifically written for x86 / x64 (well they at least were back then) being heavily optimised for real time performance on Intel cpus making them difficult to try to port without a rewrite. Looking at the Ubuntu Studio developers now they do appear to have picked up development pace recently compared to the last few years so maybe they would consider to port at some stage.

At the time I decided to use the standard ubuntu packages for most things and then some of the tools from kxstudio which gave a very nice user interface for some key features to finish off the build, in my case a DAW / DSP. Although you maybe already aware you can see the list of packages they provide here https://kx.studio/Repositories:Applications and these repositories can be added to Ubuntu arm64.

I did have a problem with the libjackd libraries in Ubuntu / Debian back then for arm64 but had the fix pushed upstream and newer Ubuntu versions no longer have the problems.

Lastly most of the arm64 kernel's you will find these days (hardkernel / mainline / armbian) will be configured as low latency by default so it should not be a problem using the standard kernels unless you need minimal latency through the DAW (live unrecorded music processing). I was using my machine mostly for adding live effects to guitar input so needed to ensure latency was kept to minimum (wanting to hear the modified output without delay at the same time my finger struck the string).
Thanks for contributing and conversing with more of the past with musician experience.

Fun fact.
WWDC is announcing what Debian / Ubuntu and Armbian have had for a long time
and moving to proprietary ARM so if Open Source follows then there will be many ARM ported in the future.
"IOS 14 - Widgets on the Home screen and picture in picture"
Wow, so much innovation !
looks like AOL 2001 !
(Sarcasm)

brad wrote:
I'm working on a Realtime kernel build for N2 / C4 so sometime in next few months when realtime patches for 5.8 are released i'll be basing off this. It may help if audio latency is upmost priority for your work.

CoolGames

Blender issues - Re: Fresh start Odroid N2 Ubuntu Studio 2020

Post by CoolGames »

brad wrote:

I'm working on a Realtime kernel build for N2 / C4 so sometime in next few months when realtime patches for 5.8 are released i'll be basing off this. It may help if audio latency is upmost priority for your work.

Tested out of the box with 18.04 LTS on March 9, 2020
Default Odroid N2 with Blender Benchmark.
Default Odroid N2 with Blender Benchmark.
BMW27_18.04 N2.png (969.55 KiB) Viewed 144 times
June 22, 2020 - New everything except BMW27.blend and shazzaam ! ISSUES...

Please try hardware accelerated and verify freeze switching to full screen Blender 2.82a on 20.04 (my test was without acceleration
Latest Blender and work in progress Ubuntu but causes issues.
Latest Blender and work in progress Ubuntu but causes issues.
Blender 2.82a - BMW27 - N2 Focal - Screenshot at 2020-06-22 19-22-32.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 144 times

Return to “Projects”