Spindown problem

mrperfekotne
languages_spoken: Danish
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0

Spindown problem

Post by mrperfekotne » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi i have 2 odroid hc2 where i have installed debian 9 (openmeidavault) with 2 segate ironwolf but i have trouble getting them spin down despite i have tried to run this command to update spindown :

Code: Select all

./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578-Hardkenel-Release-v173.01.00.02-20190306.bin -b ./backup.bin -t 5
But despite being set to 10 min, will it still not spin down? - I have inserted disk parking script from:

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/trou ... own_script

If I then try to put spindown via openmediavault interface (hdparm) I can make them spin down but I get increase in:

"192 Power-Off_Retract_Count"

What should I do to make the hard drives spin down correct ? gladly welcome advice :)?
These users thanked the author mrperfekotne for the post:
namok (Sun May 05, 2019 2:53 pm)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Spindown problem

Post by odroid » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Refer this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=34599

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Thanks for the answer BUT the problem is not that I cannot get the disk to spindown but if I do it via this command:

sudo hdparm -B128 -S 25 /dev/sda

Do I get increas in "192 Power-Off_Retract_Count"

And I can't make it spin down by ONLY using (Hardware):

./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578-Hardkenel-Release-v173.01.00.02-20190306.bin -b ./backup.bin -t 5

So I wonder if this "scipt" is at all active on my HC 2:

Despite having followed the instructions to install it:

root@odroid:~# sudo apt-get install hdparm
root@odroid:~# wget https://dn.odroid.com/5422/script/odroid.shutdown
root@odroid:~# sudo install -o root -g root -m 0755 ./odroid.shutdown /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/odroid.shutdown

How do I check if the script is running properly?

Because if I run this command via terminal

hdparm -Y /dev/sda
Goes to standby immediately ?!

neal
languages_spoken: Korean, English

Post by neal » Thu May 02, 2019 10:59 am

Hi @mrperfekotne,

But despite being set to 10 min, will it still not spin down? - I have inserted disk parking script from:
The above command option "-t 5" is "-t – Auto spin-down timer. (Unit: minute)". so 5 minutes later and the disk anything to work and then the system invokes your disk to spin down.
Please refer to this wiki. https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... definition
Be sure after firmware update(changed spin down time), you have to perform Cold-boot.

If I then try to put spindown via openmediavault interface (hdparm) I can make them spin down but I get increase in:

What should I do to make the hard drives spin down correct ? gladly welcome advice :)?
192 attribute is vender specific. If you want to know exact meaning, you should have your disk documentation check first.
And then try this https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/trou ... the_script and viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29069&start=50#p246051

hdparm -Y /dev/sda
Goes to standby immediately ?!
You can see what is the meaning of option "-Y" by command

#man hdparm

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi neal i know well basically in:

So you don't have to explain this function BUT the problem is that I can't get this command to work because it does NOT spin the hard disk despite it being set to 10 minutes in the top command?

And the other problem is that if I use hdparm for it with command:

Then I can make it spin down BUT then I get problems with the increase in:

And I can read on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29069

That it is not good that this value is increased?!

Therefore, I ask how I get the disk to spin down when the above methods do NOT work?!

It's not because I don't know how hdpram works but not much if it doesn't work on hc 2.

neal

Post by neal » Fri May 03, 2019 2:40 pm

So you don't have to explain this function BUT the problem is that I can't get this command to work because it does NOT spin the hard disk despite it being set to 10 minutes in the top command?
Can you show me the output of the top command?
And the other problem is that if I use hdparm for it with command:

Then I can make it spin down BUT then I get problems with the increase in:

And I can read on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29069

That it is not good that this value is increased?!

Therefore, I ask how I get the disk to spin down when the above methods do NOT work?!

It's not because I don't know how hdpram works but not much if it doesn't work on hc 2.
It depends on your hard disk vendor how declared "192 Power-Off_retract_Count".
You are using Seagate HDD refer this link https://kb.acronis.com/content/9127

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Tue May 21, 2019 5:20 am

Neal excuse the late answer but here is the output of:

./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578-Hardkenel-Release-v173.01.00.02-20190306.bin -b ./backup.bin -t 10
Update Firmware file name: ./JMS578-Hardkenel-Release-v173.01.00.02-20190306.bin
Backup Firmware file name: ./backup.bin
Auto spin-down timer: 10 min.
Backup the ROM code sucessfully.
Programming & Compare Success!!
As I wrote above, I can spin the disk down with this command and it will spin down:

hdparm -Y /dev/sda
But as soon as reading on the hard drive, it spins up again and doesn't come down until I run the top command.

neal

Post by neal » Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi @mrperfekotne,

The command output seems to be okay.
mrperfekotne wrote: ↑
Tue May 21, 2019 5:20 am
As I wrote above, I can spin the disk down with this command and it will spin down:
CODE: SELECT ALL

hdparm -Y /dev/sda
But as soon as reading on the hard drive, it spins up again and doesn't come down until I run the top command.
By the man command, hdparm option "-Y" can enter the lowest power consumption sleep mode, causing it to shut down completely. A hard or soft reset is required before the drive can be accessed again.
I think that a hard or soft reset is not working properly under odroid. In my odroid with OMV even doesn't wake from sleep mode sometimes.
JMS578 hub is no USB SCSI command to reset the USB device. so to make the command working properly, I think that should find another way to reset USB Bus or something.

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 pm

I do not really understand your comment, maybe I'm dumb? :) - In fact, I can get the hard drive that will not spin down to spin down with this command:

hdparm -Y /dev/sda

But if I don't run this command, it runs constantly despite this command where I put spindown for 10 minutes:

./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578-Hardkenel-Release-v173.01.00.02-20190306.bin -b ./backup.bin -t 10

I have 3 other odroid hc 2 with exactly the same disks (Segate irowolf 4 tb) and the same linux version (Openmediavault 4 Debian 9 stretch) where it suffices with this command to make them spin down:

So I suspect the device will not spin down to have some kind of defect as it otherwise makes no sense?

By the man command, hdparm option "-Y" can enter the lowest power consumption sleep mode, causing it to shut down completely. A hard or soft reset is required before the drive can be accessed again.

It doesn't work like this on my hc 2 I can run the command:

hdparm -Y /dev/sda

And make the disk spin up again by accessing it without soft reset as you say is mandatory.

fvolk
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, C4, H2

Post by fvolk » Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 am

This thread is confusing, so I'll try a generic how-to description...

First, disable the auto spin-down timer on the JMS controller (-t 0) and reboot to activate it.
Having the controller manage harddisk spin-down is not a good idea, only the OS and applications know when a disk is no longer (or not) needed and the OS/apps ask a harddisk to please spin-down and the hard-disk then knows what to do. No need for a controller to do that at an arbitrary time, sitting as a middle man between the two. That the ODROIDs ship with a preprogrammed spin-down timer enabled is not a good default IMHO.

Unmount all partitions of the harddisk.
Make sure that no process accesses the harddisk in any way (e.g. a background script that checks SMART status at certain time intervals).
If you are sure nothing accesses the disk anymore, spin it down manually with "hdparm -y". This lets it spin down and upon next access it spins up again.
Do not use hdparm -Y, it is stronger. It spins down and some disks go to hard sleep, only to be awoken again by a hard bus reset. What state a disk is in after being jolted awake this way is different from vendor to vendor, so it's not fun to guess how they will wake up.

Does the disk spin-down with "hdparm -y"?
If no - sorry, this disk ignores the command. I once had a Toshiba one that did this...
If the disk spins down, but immediately spins up again, or after a few seconds, then you still have a process that tries to access it. Find the process and kill it.
Does it stay spin-downed for a longer time? Good, that is what is expected when no accesses happen.

Spin disk up again, for example by reading the SMART status.
Set the disk to auto spin-down when 30mins idle: hdparm -S 241
Try it, measure the 30 mins.
If the drive does not spin-down - are you sure there is no process accessing it? Send it to sleep manually again (hdparm -y) and wait longer to see whether something wakes it up.
If it spins down earlier than 30 mins - was the timer on the JMS disabled? Is the OS doing it with some power management setting? I also once had a disk that had a hardcoded 3 min idle spin-down which could not be changed by normal software commands - very annoying product.

If the 30mins work, good, try again with e.g. 2 hours, hdparm -S 244.
If 30mins work and 2 hours don't, then you maybe have an hourly script that accesses the disk (e.g. hourly SMART status check)
If the 2 hours work, good, go from there, your disk works as commanded, the rest is an OS/apps problem.

Other effects:
hdparm -B may have an effect. Some disks ignore -B totally, some do behave differently when running on -B 255 vs -B 128/254. I have some HGST disks that behave weirdly as they boot with -B 128 default, but if I set them to -B 255 in my bootup scripts then they behave as they are commanded (above hdparm commands)

The Seagate Ironwolf disks are NAS drives, designed to run 24/7? They probably have more sophisticated settings available, check out the https://github.com/Seagate/openSeaChest project. I never tried these myself...

Hope this helps someone somehow.... :-)
These users thanked the author fvolk for the post:
neal (Wed May 22, 2019 11:39 am)

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Wed May 22, 2019 5:00 am

Thanks for the explanation but if I use hdparm to spin the disk down via the command you recommend (hdparm -S 241) I get problems with "192 Power-Off_Retract_Count" increasing every time it spins and it should NOT be good ?

fvolk

Post by fvolk » Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 am

hdparm -S tells the power management of the disk to spin itself down when idle for some time, so this should always work ... AFAIK.
How do you read the counter?
First before spin-down, then after 30min it spins-down, and when reading the counter again via SMART it spins-up again because of a disk access and the counter has increased by one?

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Yes :)

sudo hdparm -S 120 /dev/sda
rene@SHARE:~$ sudo hdparm -S 120 /dev/sda
[sudo] password for rene:
/dev/sda:
 setting standby to 120 (10 minutes)
rene@SHARE:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda -d sat | grep "Power-Off_Retract_Count"
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       28 
Wait 10 minutes

rene@SHARE:~$ sudo hdparm -C /dev/sda
[sudo] password for rene:
/dev/sda:
 drive state is:  standby
rene@SHARE:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda -d sat | grep "Power-Off_Retract_Count"
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
Increase by one above :) - And this is the problem I have mentioned several times in this thread :)

fvolk

Post by fvolk » Wed May 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Thank you for the clarification :-)

That leaves the question whether this is normal behaviour for the drive - an Ironwolf is a NAS drive designed to run 24/7, do they really want to run 24/7 and spinning them down hurts them? Maybe someone with experience with NAS drives can comment?
Or is this behaviour only observed with an Odroid - attach it to a normal PC and see whether this also happens there?

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Mon May 27, 2019 1:29 am

@fvolk

You wrote my thread is confusing but I have given all relevant information in the first post if people bother reading them :)

"That leaves the question whether this is normal behavior for the drive - and Ironwolf is a NAS drive designed to run 24/7, so they really want to run 24/7 and spin them down hurts them?"

I have answered earlier in the thread where I tell that I have 4 segate iron wolf hardrive and the 3 of them spin perfectly with this command:

Without Increase in "192 Power-Off_Retract_Count"

Therefore, I suspect the HC2 device with the 1 hard drive that does not work with this command and continues to run without spinning correctly that it is defective.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Tue May 28, 2019 11:13 am

Do you mean one of your two HC2 boards is defective? or one of four IronWolf HDDs is defective?

mrperfekotne

Post by mrperfekotne » Tue May 28, 2019 8:31 pm

It is difficult for me to say whether the disk or hc2 is faulty. But can only note that the other 3 hc2 behave correctly with the spindown command via firmware and the exact same disks .. But can try to move the hard drive to another hc2 and see how the behavior is 😊

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Wed May 29, 2019 9:26 am

I see. It is still mysterious and uncertain.
Once you have any firm conclusion, please let us know.

Adoby
ODROIDs: HC2 hC1
Been thanked: 0

Post by Adoby » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm

I had serious problems with OMV, HC2s and Ironwolf 12TB NAS HDDs. But I figured out why and how to avoid the problems and now my HC2s works fine with OMV and Ironwolf 12TB.

After some initial confusion and head scratching, I did some careful testing I reinstalled and configured from scratch and rebooted after every little step, to try to figure out exactly what caused the problems. In this way I figured out that if I didn't use/change any of the physical disk setings in the OMV GUI everything was fine. And it has indeed been fine for months since then.

After I changed ANY of the physical disk properties in OMV the HC2 would unmount the HDD after a while and refuse to mount the HDD during a reboot. I suspect that there is some incompatibility between hdparm (used by OMV), the HDD and the USB/SATA bridge. I am not sure if this is a problem for other disks, but I suspect that it may sometimes be.

The physical disk properties can be reached by clicking "edit" on the disk in the OMV GUI. If ANYTHING was changed or activated there, the HC2 would not mount my Ironwolf 12 TB HDD after a reboot and unmounted anyway after a while.

I didn't really fix the problem. I just learned how I could avoid causing it. It was not enough to deactivate/change back the settings to fix this:

I had to reinstall from scratch and make sure not to touch any of these settings. I set the spindown by reflashing the USB/SATA bridge.

It seems the mount point and/or UUIDS and/or OMV settings somehow got scrambled. A reboot didn't fix it. I didn't research closer, I was happy that I got my HC2s working with my Ironwolf 12TB HDDs in OMV. And everything is working perfectly now. Very happy with my HC2s with OMV and ironwolf HDDs. Fast and efficient!

I have written about this on the OMV forum as well. Now and then someone else have these problems.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 am

@Adoby,
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I hope OMV developers will find a root cause.

NisseMan
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2 4GB CoreELEC Edition

Post by NisseMan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm

I got into same problem as Adoby with a 10TB ironwolf, drive gets unmounted afterr reboot and gets an error when i try to mount if after boot:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Files.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for sharedfolders-Files.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Files.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for sharedfolders-Files.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
Stack trace:
#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)
#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(160): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('restart', NULL, false)
#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/sharedfolders.inc(66): OMV\System\SystemCtl->restart()
#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleSharedfolders->startService()
#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusi9...', '/tmp/bgoutputNl...')
#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
#9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
#10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
#11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
#13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
#14 {main}

Only solution is to change disk?

Butterfly
languages_spoken: english, german

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:31 am

Hi, I have done the firmware update for my HC2 with this manual: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... _fw_update

The firmware JMS578-Hardkenel-Release-v173.01.00.02-20190306.bin is installed and is working fine. The spin-down-timer works as well, the HDD stops working after the chosen time. If I access the disk, I can hear it starting and I have a short delay. So this is all normal.

But how can I check via software, if the HDD is active or in spin down? If I try hdparam -C the result is active, or the HDD starts and after a short delay the result is active. Is there any way to check the state of my connected WD Red, without waking it up?

rooted

Post by rooted » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:19 am

Not that I know of outside of physically touching or listening.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:45 pm

hdparm -C should work (I have WD Green and blue):

root@aldebaran64:~# hdparm -C /dev/sdb             
/dev/sdb:
 drive state is:  active/idle
root@aldebaran64:~# hdparm -C /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:                                           
drive state is:  standby

Butterfly
languages_spoken: english, german

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:03 pm

hdparm -C does not work with the spindown by the controller. If I send the standby command manual with hdparm -y, then it works. But if the controller timeout sends the disk to sleep, hdparm -C wakes up the disk and shows active/idle.

rooted

Post by rooted » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:23 pm

Butterfly wrote:hdparm -C does not work with the spindown by the controller. If I send the standby command manual with hdparm -y, then it works. But if the controller timeout sends the disk to sleep, hdparm -C wakes up the disk and shows active/idle.
This has been my experience also.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Oh, right. I'm not using the controller to spin down the disk. I'm using hd-idle instead:

root@aldebaran64:~# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/90-disk.rules 
#udevadm info --attribute-walk --name=/dev/sda
# HDD Seagate 
ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVNAME}=="/dev/sd?", SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_SERIAL_SHORT}=="NA4TEVC6", RUN+="/sbin/hdparm -S 60 $env{DEVNAME}"
# HDD WD Green 3TB
ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVNAME}=="/dev/sd?", SUBSYSTEM=="block", ATTR{size}=="5860533168", RUN+="/usr/local/sbin/hd-idle -a $env{DEVNAME} -i 630 -l /var/log/hd-idle.log"
# HDD WD Blue 4TB
ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVNAME}=="/dev/sd?", SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="WDC_WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0_WD-WCC7K4PCS6CD", RUN+="/usr/local/sbin/hd-idle -a $env{DEVNAME} -i 630 -l /var/log/hd-idle-4TB.log"
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
rooted (Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 pm

I switched to hd-idle about a month ago also, since then I've not had any problems.

For probably the last two years my drives were being spun up and I never noticed, only indication was higher than normal temperature.

Return to β€œIssues”