[Hardware Mod] Shoulder button springs

Third party OS images and hardware mods
Retrofuzz
languages_spoken: english

[Hardware Mod] Shoulder button springs

Post by Retrofuzz » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 am

Not sure if this has been done yet but i thought i would share my small improvement with you. Sorry if this information was already shared i'm a fresh owner of an OGA Black Edition. Great system but i was kinda annoyed by the shoulder buttons. My left trigger had a smaller gap/less travel between the button and the case. Also both buttons were loose and rattling..

I had some leftover Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard switches and i thought i would give it a try and place the spring between the shoulder button and the tactile switch. Haven't had a lot of testing time but no more gap differences and rattling. They also feel a tad more like analog shoulder buttons this way since they "return" to a neutral position instead of laying on top of the tactile switch.

Last edited by Retrofuzz on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Retrofuzz for the post (total 3):
mad_ady (Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:26 am) • odroid (Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 am) • notime2d8 (Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:14 pm)

rooted

Re: [Hardware Mod] Shoulder button springs

Post by rooted » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:59 am

Nice little mod, thanks for sharing.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
Retrofuzz (Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:38 am)

ThatOneSeong
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance BE (v1.1, Clear)
Has thanked: 0

Post by ThatOneSeong » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:27 am

Ordered some Cherry Red switches from eBay, they're pretty cheap - a lot for a dollar a piece, + ~$6 shipping. Hoping to try this on my BE unit whenever it gets here.
Just your average Seong here. Nothing more to see.
<3

GNF
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance BE(CW)
Been thanked: 0

Post by GNF » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Retrofuzz wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 am
I had some leftover Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard switches and i thought i would give it a try and place the spring between the shoulder button and the tactile switch. Haven't had a lot of testing time but no more gap differences and rattling. They also feel a tad more like analog shoulder buttons this way since they "return" to a neutral position instead of laying on top of the tactile switch.
Great idea! Great mod!
Your implementation is not entirely clear to me though. Did you only use the spring of the Cherry MX switches? Ifso, how do they stay in place?
Or did you also replace the existing tactile switches (e.g. desolder them)?

GNF

nvllsvm
Been thanked: 0

Post by nvllsvm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 pm

I also did this mod albeit with springs from Cherry MX Blue switches. Night/day difference; works great!
GNF wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:32 pm
Did you only use the spring of the Cherry MX switches?
Yes.
GNF wrote:
Ifso, how do they stay in place?
The spring slides onto the part of the trigger which presses the switch. Likewise, the spring's inner diameter fits over the switch and keeps it in place.
GNF wrote:
I only replaced the spring on my unit. Still using stock switches.

Retrofuzz

Post by Retrofuzz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:34 am

GNF wrote:
Retrofuzz wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 am
Great idea! Great mod!
Your implementation is not entirely clear to me though. Did you only use the spring of the Cherry MX switches? Ifso, how do they stay in place?

GNF
Sorry for the late reply! I only used the springs from the Cherry MX switches since i had those laying around. Maybe some other springs from like a ballpoint pen will work as well? The Cherry MX springs seems to fit and stay perfectly in the shoulder button itself. It also fits flush onto the base of the tactile switch. I'm still using the stock tactile switches on the odroid pcb.

blerplederple4

Post by blerplederple4 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:55 am

Curious here, as I have some 60g springs laying around, could you cut the springs to add them to the L2/R2 or is it just not worth it? Mostly thinking out loud but if I can find my bag of springs I will try but I am unsure if you did that as well

Return to “Projects”