Ubuntu18.04 minimal for OdroidC1+

simoneg
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: OdroidC1+
Has thanked: 0

Ubuntu18.04 minimal for OdroidC1+

Post by simoneg » Wed May 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi all,

In our company we have been using successfully your hardware device, OdroidC1+, now for years. We are evaluating some options related to the OS to adopt and we are looking at Ubuntu18.04 minimal as a possible solution. but we have the following questions:

1 - Will Ubuntu18.04 be supported until the end of 2023 for OdroidC1+? I am asking this because the board might go out of production by the end of this year
2 - If point one is positive, is there a possibility to extend the timeline of the support beyond 2023?
3 - Any kernel modification on our side will break any agreement about kernel support?

We are interested in an official answer from the company, thanks in advance for coming back to me.

Regards,
S

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Ubuntu18.04 minimal for OdroidC1+

Post by odroid » Wed May 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Moved from XU4 sub-forum.

ODROID-C1 was introduced in '2014. It is almost 6 years old. :o
I think we will discontinue it early next year because we can't buy the old SoC anymore.

1. Over 99.99% packages in Ubuntu OS have been updated & managed by Canonical not HardKernel. We've just managed Kernel, boot loader, GPU driver and customized Qt packages.
We have a plan to release a Ubuntu 20.04 image for C1/C1+ two or three months later. But we will stick to the old legacy Kernel 3.10 unfortunately.

2. This new coming 20.04 OS will be managed by Canonical until '2025 too. We will keep updating our own packages only if dependencies or functionalities are broken.

3. If you modify the Kernel or device-tree source codes, send us pull-requests via our Github repo. We will merge it after quick review.

simoneg

Post by simoneg » Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me, please let me understand if I am getting right what you are saying: are you planning to provide Ubuntu 20.04 for OdroidC1+? If so when? Also, do you have another official Linux distro to use on the OdroidC1+ which supports a more recent kernel?

Thanks

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec » Thu May 14, 2020 12:34 am

simoneg wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 pm
another official Linux distro to use on the OdroidC1+ which supports a more recent kernel?
We are trying to bring it up from the ashes https://github.com/armbian/build even its pure waste of time and our money and there will be no reward whatsoever :)

Troubles here, troubles there. Currently some essential troubles, like boot ...
https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1932
These users thanked the author igorpec for the post:
mad_ady (Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 am)
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards

Download latest images for Odroids | Build them from sources | Donate to support development

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 am

Knowing you can do it should be reward enough!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid » Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 am

simoneg wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 pm
are you planning to provide Ubuntu 20.04 for OdroidC1+? If so when? Also, do you have another official Linux distro to use on the OdroidC1+ which supports a more recent kernel?
As I told you, it will be July or August 2020.
If you don't need the GPU and VPU hardware acceleration, you can consider Armbian or other third party OS images with upstream Kernel probably.
If your application software needs the hardware acceleration, you need to consider our OS image with the legacy Kernel.

What did you made with C1+?
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
mad_ady (Thu May 14, 2020 7:32 pm)

simoneg

Post by simoneg » Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. We don't need VPU/GPU acceleration, we use the OdroidC1+ as a protocol translator and data logger in our IoT network at the moment. The reason why we would like to move to a more recent kernel is to solve some vulnerabilities we identified in version 3.X. Ideally would be good to have the latest one 5.6.X to get WIreguard support, although we could install it as optional kernel module I think. There is also a legal requirement for us to move to a distro which will be actively supported, patched and stable enough not to create issues during updates.

Thanks
These users thanked the author simoneg for the post:
mad_ady (Thu May 14, 2020 7:32 pm)

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec » Thu May 14, 2020 7:49 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 am
Knowing you can do it should be reward enough!
That is correct when this is purely fun and if this is one device you are ticking. But once this gets to a full day activitiy, how to cover operational costs?

I was also 5-6 years full time on the project, now full time something else. Currently we need around 30-50 h every day for maintaining, some development and dealing with users.
simoneg wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 pm
Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. We don't need VPU/GPU acceleration, we use the OdroidC1+ as a protocol translator and data logger in our IoT network at the moment. The reason why we would like to move to a more recent kernel is to solve some vulnerabilities we identified in version 3.X. Ideally would be good to have the latest one 5.6.X to get WIreguard support,
Then Armbian is perfect for you, once it gets back on line. Wireguard, Docker, advanced wireless drivers, AUFS ... works on Armbian OOB.
simoneg wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:57 pm
although we could install it as optional kernel module I think.
On Armbian yes, elsewhere you need proper headers and (operational) DKMS support which is not just granted ... on this old kernel, this is anyway not possible.
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards

Download latest images for Odroids | Build them from sources | Donate to support development

Return to “Ubuntu”