languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by tobetter » Sun May 10, 2020 12:49 am

minoccio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:42 am
tobetter wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 am
20200508 - Recommened only for Android-based OS users.

I've urgently built a new version of the Petitboot for the booting issue after updating the very recent Android-based OS, Hardkernel's AOSP Android or LineageOS. In order to update the image, please click spiboot-20200508.img to download and copy the file to your uSD card as spiboot.img.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... grade_mode

What's improved:

Android/LineageOS booting failure is fixed
Reported by a couple of users who recently updated their OS image based on Hardkernel's Android OS (v20200507), this issue is caused by the boot script made in the new version and the new boot script was not properly recognized by the Petitboot.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... 4_20200507

Default PXE boot script to download the Netboot Installer menu is included.
PXE boot is supported since version 20200224, my own repository server can provide the Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer using PXE boot, this will help you to install the clean OS to your memory card instead of flashing an OS image to an uSD or eMMC. The Netboot Installer will appear in the Petitboot menu after running netboot_default in the command line of the Petitboot, you must ensure the ethernet connection and IP address must be set before proceeding. Downloading the Netboot Installer menu and displaying them to the Petitboot could take a couple of minutes. Please refer to another thread about Netboot Installer and what you can install with it.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=37109

IR/CEC suspend/wakeup is being improved for CoreELEC. - Still testing, not mature yet
One of the issues of the Petitboot is that the CoreELEC cannot make suspend mode when booted by the Petitboot. This is because the CoreELEC uses its own custom bootloader from Hardkernel's one, recently the CoreELEC team gratefully made an update on the bootloader code and can be adapted to the Petitboot bootloader. Still, this is testing with more hardware and it also requires changing the kernel driver, so it would take some time to complete.

Please keep sharing your experience with the Petitboot.
Hi. I have LineageOS on uSD and coreelec on eMMC. All was working with petitboot 20191127, and coreelec went correctly in suspend mode. After latest LineageOS upgrade, I upgraded petitboot from 20191127 to 20200508. Now when I try to suspend coreelec, it reboots.
How did you make the suspend from CoreELEC with the Petitboot (20191127)?
What's the version of the CoreELEC currently and can you try to boot CoreELEC without the Petitboot and see if the suspend works?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
istanbulls (Fri May 15, 2020 4:54 pm)

minoccio
languages_spoken: Italian
ODROIDs: N2

Post by minoccio » Sun May 10, 2020 1:19 am

Coreelec version is the latest official 9.2.2. With Petitboot last version, 20191127, I simply went in suspend mode from kodi power-off menu. Of course, without petitboot, I had to remove uSD with Android to boot coreelec, but system goes correctly in suspend mode

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Sun May 10, 2020 1:29 am

minoccio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:19 am
Coreelec version is the latest official 9.2.2. With Petitboot last version, 20191127, I simply went in suspend mode from kodi power-off menu. Of course, without petitboot, I had to remove uSD with Android to boot coreelec, but system goes correctly in suspend mode
The suspend/resume works for CoreELEC with the Petitboot (20200508), I have the CoreELEC on uSD and Android on eMMC. I went for "Suspend" from CoreELEC power menu, and made with HK stock IR remote. Need to test more with a different combinations.

minoccio

Post by minoccio » Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 am

I see that the opposite situation I have (coreelec eMMC and Android uSD) is more problematic, but I use 99% coreelec and 1% Android; I can live removing uSD , using it only when in Android, but I am sorry that precedent configuration was working very well...

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 am

minoccio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 am
I see that the opposite situation I have (coreelec eMMC and Android uSD) is more problematic, but I use 99% coreelec and 1% Android; I can live removing uSD , using it only when in Android, but I am sorry that precedent configuration was working very well...
I'm a bit surprised that the suspend/resume had worked on the Petitboot 20201127 for CoreELEC. :) By the way, I suppose that CoreELEC can be on uSD and Android on eMMC, since Android needs more high bandwidth storage than CoreELEC. Obviously this does not solve the suspend/resume problem on the Petitboot 20200508. I'm testing a couple of ODROID-N2 boards with CoreELEC if suspend/resume works. For sure, if you make a suspend from the power menu of CoreELEC, does your ODROID-N2 start the Petitboot?
rooted (Sun May 10, 2020 2:57 am)

minoccio

Post by minoccio » Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 am

Yes, it does start. I use CEC for start (not possible to start with HK IR remote and petitboot) and it has always worked flawlessly

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Sun May 10, 2020 8:23 am

minoccio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 am
Yes, it does start. I use CEC for start (not possible to start with HK IR remote and petitboot) and it has always worked flawlessly
That's strange...I've tried two different Petitboot versions 20191127 and 2020024, none of them work with CoreELEC to make suspend/resume with IR or CEC. Only 20200508 version works and this makes sense to me. I would need to consult with CoreELEC team for this. By the time, can you please test again with 20191127 if it works with CoreELEC? One thing that I can try for you is to modify the image 20191127 to make recognize the new Android boot scripts, let me think how this is possible. :?:

minoccio

Post by minoccio » Sun May 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Done, downgraded petitboot to 20191127, and coreelec goes in suspend mode as before; I can always start with cec. I am thinking that I disabled WOL in coreelec and Android to limit enrgy consumption; could this be the difference between mine and your test-configuration?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Sun May 10, 2020 8:08 pm

minoccio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:27 pm
Done, downgraded petitboot to 20191127, and coreelec goes in suspend mode as before; I can always start with cec. I am thinking that I disabled WOL in coreelec and Android to limit enrgy consumption; could this be the difference between mine and your test-configuration?
Not sure, I need to test it again. Can you please update the Petitboot with another image?
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 7-0508.img

This image is modified from the original 'spiboot-20191127.img' to support new Android boot script.
minoccio (Mon May 11, 2020 2:25 am)

minoccio

Post by minoccio » Sun May 10, 2020 10:26 pm

Sorry for delay, not at home at the moment. I'll test It ASAP

minoccio

Post by minoccio » Mon May 11, 2020 2:25 am

tobetter wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:08 pm
minoccio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:27 pm
Not sure, I need to test it again. Can you please update the Petitboot with another image?
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 7-0508.img

This image is modified from the original 'spiboot-20191127.img' to support new Android boot script.
Tested: LineageOS starts, and corelec goes in suspend mode. Thank You!!!
These users thanked the author minoccio for the post:
odroid (Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am)

binhex
languages_spoken: english

Post by binhex » Tue May 12, 2020 1:09 am

hi @tobetter i have a question for you regards PXE boot of CoreELEC for N2, have you attempted to do this or is this just not possible?, i have been attempting to get this going but so far i am stumped on the error 'android image size is incorrect' which by a bit of googling i can see is coming from KEXEC, but i have no idea firstly why it thinks im trying to boot android (non android os), and secondly what file it thinks is the incorrect size.

below is a list of the files i am serving up via NGINX, similar to what you are doing with your HTTP server:-

Code: Select all

KERNEL # taken from coreelec install media
SYSTEM # taken from coreelect install media
initrd.gz # taken from your http server, dont really know if i need this?
g12b_s922x_odroid_n2.dbt # taken from coreelect install media
syslinux.cfg file (yes im trying mount a storage area):-

LABEL CoreELEC
    KERNEL http://192.168.1.10:8080/installer/pxeboot/odroid-n2/coreelec/KERNEL
    INITRD http://192.168.1.10:8080/installer/pxeboot/odroid-n2/coreelec/initrd.gz
    FDT http://192.168.1.10:8080/installer/pxeboot/odroid-n2/coreelec/g12b_s922x_odroid_n2.dtb
    APPEND ip=dhcp boot=NFS=192.168.1.10:/mnt/cache/appdata/pxe/lounge/prod/coreelec disk=NFS=192.168.1.10:/mnt/cache/appdata/pxe/lounge/prod/coreelec/storage overlay quiet 
i can see the item appear in petitboot menu but when i attempt to boot from the menu labelled 'corelec' i get 'android image size is incorrect' at the very bottom of the screen.

any ideas?.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 12, 2020 2:09 am

binhex wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:09 am
hi @tobetter i have a question for you regards PXE boot of CoreELEC for N2, have you attempted to do this or is this just not possible?, i have been attempting to get this going but so far i am stumped on the error 'android image size is incorrect' which by a bit of googling i can see is coming from KEXEC, but i have no idea firstly why it thinks im trying to boot android (non android os), and secondly what file it thinks is the incorrect size.

below is a list of the files i am serving up via NGINX, similar to what you are doing with your HTTP server:-

KERNEL # taken from coreelec install media
SYSTEM # taken from coreelect install media
initrd.gz # taken from your http server, dont really know if i need this?
g12b_s922x_odroid_n2.dbt # taken from coreelect install media
syslinux.cfg file (yes im trying mount a storage area):-

LABEL CoreELEC
    INITRD http://192.168.1.10:8080/installer/pxeboot/odroid-n2/coreelec/initrd.gz
    FDT http://192.168.1.10:8080/installer/pxeboot/odroid-n2/coreelec/g12b_s922x_odroid_n2.dtb
    APPEND ip=dhcp boot=NFS=192.168.1.10:/mnt/cache/appdata/pxe/lounge/prod/coreelec disk=NFS=192.168.1.10:/mnt/cache/appdata/pxe/lounge/prod/coreelec/storage overlay quiet 
i can see the item appear in petitboot menu but when i attempt to boot from the menu labelled 'corelec' i get 'android image size is incorrect' at the very bottom of the screen.

any ideas?.
Hello, it's been a long time... :)

This is a very interesting question, so I immediately tried to add a new boot entry for CoreELEC 9.2.2 and they are uploaded to my server along with other Ubuntu Netboot Installers. For me, it can boot update. Obviously, it won't complete the boot since my test was to load the Linux kernel and DTB. I encountered the issue that the Petitboot says 'Couldn't load ...' which happens sometimes and I suspect it's because of the network bandwidth. Other than that, I was able to boot and can get Linux shell.

AFAIK, CoreELEC uses Android boot image format. So the file 'KERNEL' itself contains the Linux kernel and its ramdisk, so you don't need to use 'initrd.gz' ignore the line for 'INITRD'. I guess the error 'Android image size is incorrect' means the file 'KERNEL' is corrupted. Are you able to download the images with 'wget' command line properly?

FYI, I've uploaded my PXE setup with CoreELEC.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer ... N2/default

LABEL CoreELEC (9.2.2)
    KERNEL http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/pxeboot/ODROID-N2/coreelec/kernel.img
    DTB http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/pxeboot/ODROID-N2/coreelec/dtb.img
    APPEND BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=1304-4844 disk=UUID=f1197149-d6d3-4128-8ca9-34442abe5f19 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend max_freq_a53=1896 max_freq_a73=1800 remotewakeup=0x23dc4db2 decode_type=0x0 remotewakeupmask=0xffffffff hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable quiet console=tty0 systemd.show_status=auto
binhex (Wed May 13, 2020 1:03 am)

binhex

Post by binhex » Wed May 13, 2020 12:52 am

lol im very impressed you remember me @tobetter :-).

so ive done some digging and pretty much stolen all your files and hosted them on my local nginx server and it still didnt work :-(, so i then tried booting from your server, and yep that works fine, albeit with the 'Couldn't load' message. so that got me looking at the difference between our two web servers, and the only difference is im running my web server on a custom port (8080) whereas you are running on port 80, so i can only assume that petitboot cannot currently handle custom ports for pxe boot, which sadly is a problem for me as i have a NAS web ui (unRAID) running on port 80 and thus cannot (well not without a fair bit of hassle) use port 80.

so any chance this could be looked into when you get a spare min and you're bored :-), see if its possible to allow custom ports to be specified?.

just to be crystal clear here, this is my syslinux.cfg as it stands right now, note port 8080, i don't believe the KERNEL is able to be downloaded, let alone anything else, thus the 'android image size is incorrect' message:-

LABEL CoreELEC
    DTB http://192.168.1.10:8080/installer/pxeboot/odroid-n2/coreelec/g12b_s922x_odroid_n2.dtb
    APPEND ip=dhcp boot=NFS=192.168.1.10:/cache/appdata/pxe/lounge/prod/coreelec disk=NFS=192.168.1.10:/cache/appdata/pxe/lounge/prod/coreelec/storage overlay quiet

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Wed May 13, 2020 8:40 am

binhex wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:52 am
lol im very impressed you remember me @tobetter :-).
Oh, hahaha
so ive done some digging and pretty much stolen all your files and hosted them on my local nginx server and it still didnt work :-(, so i then tried booting from your server, and yep that works fine, albeit with the 'Couldn't load' message. so that got me looking at the difference between our two web servers, and the only difference is im running my web server on a custom port (8080) whereas you are running on port 80, so i can only assume that petitboot cannot currently handle custom ports for pxe boot, which sadly is a problem for me as i have a NAS web ui (unRAID) running on port 80 and thus cannot (well not without a fair bit of hassle) use port 80.

so any chance this could be looked into when you get a spare min and you're bored :-), see if its possible to allow custom ports to be specified?.
I've looked through code for the download and it looks like parse the port number from the given URL. I need to set up a small 8080 server and try it later in 2-3 days. I have no chance to be bored, but... :)
binhex (Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm)

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 am

@binhex, I was getting bored...

Today, I've set up NGINX with the port 8080 to serve the file in the same server, http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8080/. What's strange to me is I can download a file from the server using wget from my desktop and Petitboot command line with this command.

$ wget http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8080/coreelec/kernel.img
What's happening is that Petitboot only downloads 28695~28699 bytes while the desktop can complete the downloading so the Petitboot is suspicious. And I spent some time changing the wget parameters, no luck. Then later I've changed the port number 80 to 8080 of the Apache server in my server which is serving the packages. Well...it works, I was able to download a file through the port 8080 when the Apache is running. This convinces me that Petitboot can download the file using the port 8080. FYI, the Petitboot executes the 'wget' whenever a file is requested to download for PXE boot. This sounds Nginx is the problem that does not work with the 'wget' in the Petitboot.

So I've opened 2 ports for the testing, maybe you can try them from the Petitboot command line.
[1] 8080 - HTTP with Nginx : http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8080
[2] 8090 - HTTP with Apache : http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8090

As of now, I do not know what I can change... :(

binhex

Post by binhex » Thu May 14, 2020 1:39 am

tobetter wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 am
@binhex, I was getting bored...

Today, I've set up NGINX with the port 8080 to serve the file in the same server, http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8080/. What's strange to me is I can download a file from the server using wget from my desktop and Petitboot command line with this command.

$ wget http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8080/coreelec/kernel.img
What's happening is that Petitboot only downloads 28695~28699 bytes while the desktop can complete the downloading so the Petitboot is suspicious. And I spent some time changing the wget parameters, no luck. Then later I've changed the port number 80 to 8080 of the Apache server in my server which is serving the packages. Well...it works, I was able to download a file through the port 8080 when the Apache is running. This convinces me that Petitboot can download the file using the port 8080. FYI, the Petitboot executes the 'wget' whenever a file is requested to download for PXE boot. This sounds Nginx is the problem that does not work with the 'wget' in the Petitboot.

So I've opened 2 ports for the testing, maybe you can try them from the Petitboot command line.
[1] 8080 - HTTP with Nginx : http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8080
[2] 8090 - HTTP with Apache : http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr:8090

As of now, I do not know what I can change... :(
thanks for looking into it!, that is really interesting that apache is ok when running on port 8080 and 80, and points the finger of blame at nginx for the partial downloads, im going to have a further tweak of my nginx server and see if i can stop it doing this, i will keep you posted and let you know if i come up with the magic sauce that makes nginx work correctly with wget.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Thu May 14, 2020 1:46 am

Perhaps a packet capture can show if there is a weird header, like Content-Range which maybe wget doesn't support.

bright_plastik
languages_spoken: English, Italian, some French.

Post by bright_plastik » Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm

I can happily confirm ver. 20200508 introduced wakeup feature with standard HK IR commands! You made my day, @Tobetter!

For the users without remote or similar alternatives, I'd suggest to include GPIO pins wakeup in petitboot, as in this wiki I assume you know very well... You are everywhere in this forum!
I think having a HK remote or a ir blaster smartphone is very niche. In case of headless setups, the more ways to turn on the box, the more compatible it will be with several setups!

As always, in the rare case you are bored! :lol:
For me, this last update to petitboot introduced really ALL I NEEDED.
You really should work for HK. @odroid, don't you agree?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Fri May 15, 2020 9:05 pm

bright_plastik wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm
I can happily confirm ver. 20200508 introduced wakeup feature with standard HK IR commands! You made my day, @Tobetter!

For the users without remote or similar alternatives, I'd suggest to include GPIO pins wakeup in petitboot, as in this wiki I assume you know very well... You are everywhere in this forum!
I think having a HK remote or a ir blaster smartphone is very niche. In case of headless setups, the more ways to turn on the box, the more compatible it will be with several setups!

As always, in the rare case you are bored! :lol:
For me, this last update to petitboot introduced really ALL I NEEDED.
You really should work for HK. @odroid, don't you agree?
Thank you for trying IR remote wake up and glad to know it's working for you. I need some work for GPIO to wake up on the Petitboot...maybe sometime soon it will come. Well...sorry for any confusion if I made, I am already the oldest (in age) and stubborn coder in HK. :D
istanbulls (Fri May 15, 2020 9:23 pm)

bright_plastik

Post by bright_plastik » Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 am

Well, I think all things fit perfectly to their boxes, then.
My regards, sir.

gentillo
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 2:45 pm

hello,q im very new in odroid and maybe i don't understand everything. I have problem. I read many forums but don't get answer. And sorry for my poor english:)
After unboxing im install coreelec on micro SD without problem.
Next step is update petitboot to 20200224 version. Must erase my coreelec instalation on sd because i have only one micro sd card. I again flash coreelec on micro sd with rufus on my pc.
After this i cannot boot form micro SD. When i switch to mmc with micro SD intalled and power on nothing happens. Its like no hdmi signal at all. When switch to spi petitboot menu shows.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm

gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:45 pm
hello,q im very new in odroid and maybe i don't understand everything. I have problem. I read many forums but don't get answer. And sorry for my poor english:)
Next step is update petitboot to 20200224 version. Must erase my coreelec instalation on sd because i have only one micro sd card. I again flash coreelec on micro sd with rufus on my pc.
After this i cannot boot form micro SD. When i switch to mmc with micro SD intalled and power on nothing happens. Its like no hdmi signal at all. When switch to spi petitboot menu shows.
No, you should not erase your uSD that is flashed with CoreELEC. Make again your uSD can boot with CoreELEC and copy the file 'spiboot-20200224.bin' as 'spiboot.img' to the partition COREECLEC from your PC. Then place the boot select switch to SPI, insert your uSD to its slot on ODROID-N2 and attach the DC power supply. Then Petitboot will start updating and reboot.

pepeEL

Post by pepeEL » Tue May 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Is any chance to add support boot from USB when i use Home Assistant with operating system image ?
https://github.com/home-assistant/opera ... m/releases

I need to use it on faster than eMMC my disk SSD.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 3:08 pm

pepeEL wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:59 pm
Is any chance to add support boot from USB when i use Home Assistant with operating system image ?

Sorry, I don't think it's possible in the near future since the boot script of HassOS is too complicated and looks like they have their own OS upgrade features rather than booting from USB. You should check if the OS can really work from USB storage.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Tue May 19, 2020 3:14 pm

But you can install ubuntu on SSD and install the docker version of hassOS - similar to what I did here: viewtopic.php?t=34334#p257664 (note the download urls might have changed)

pepeEL

Post by pepeEL » Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:08 pm
pepeEL wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Sorry, I don't think it's possible in the near future since the boot script of HassOS is too complicated and looks like they have their own OS upgrade features rather than booting from USB. You should check if the OS can really work from USB storage.
From USB not working.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 3:27 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:14 pm
But you can install ubuntu on SSD and install the docker version of hassOS - similar to what I did here: viewtopic.php?t=34334#p257664 (note the download urls might have changed)
Oh...they have the docker...I didn't realize it yet. Thank you... :)

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm
gentillo wrote:
No, you should not erase your uSD that is flashed with CoreELEC. Make again your uSD can boot with CoreELEC and copy the file 'spiboot-20200224.bin' as 'spiboot.img' to the partition COREECLEC from your PC. Then place the boot select switch to SPI, insert your uSD to its slot on ODROID-N2 and attach the DC power supply. Then Petitboot will start updating and reboot.
spiboot-20200224.bin or spiboot-20200224.img? If .bin where i can find this file?
Is be any way to revert to stage when im simply flash CE image in uSD, placed on uSD port and all proces automaticly goin on?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 4:30 pm

gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm
tobetter wrote:
gentillo wrote:
spiboot-20200224.bin or spiboot-20200224.img? If .bin where i can find this file?
Is be any way to revert to stage when im simply flash CE image in uSD, placed on uSD port and all proces automaticly goin on?
Sorry, spiboot-20200224.img. Yes, simply flash CE image again to your uSD and copy spiboot-20200224.img as spiboot.img. Then the current Petitboot in the board will read and update itself.

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 4:39 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:30 pm
gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm
tobetter wrote:
gentillo wrote:
Sorry, spiboot-20200224.img. Yes, simply flash CE image again to your uSD and copy spiboot-20200224.img as spiboot.img. Then the current Petitboot in the board will read and update itself.
I do it this but still no luck with start CE. When petitboot start i have "petitbot is up to date" or something like this and nothing happend. When petitboot start should i do any procedure or process should be automatic? Is there any yt turtorial?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 4:44 pm

@gentillo, are you saying the Petitboot is not being updated or CoreELEC is not starting? Which version of the Petitboot do you have now?

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... or_upgrade

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 5:02 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:44 pm
@gentillo, are you saying the Petitboot is not being updated or CoreELEC is not starting? Which version of the Petitboot do you have now?

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... or_upgrade
I flash 20200224 version. Petitboot menu is showing. Not luck with CE start. I dont have listed devices one top of the screen. Image

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm

@gentillo, by any chance, if you had flashed CE Nightly Build, you should try another version 20200511. Recently I acknowledged that CE team changed their boot script and it is applied to the nightly build.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/pe ... 200511.img
ricklar (Fri May 22, 2020 4:50 pm)

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 pm

@tobetter i try this later. But first i ask again is any way i can revert to the stage when i simply put flashed uSD card with CE and instalation will start automaticly on mmc mode?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 5:34 pm

gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 pm
@tobetter i try this later. But first i ask again is any way i can revert to the stage when i simply put flashed uSD card with CE and instalation will start automaticly on mmc mode?
Well...Sorry, I doubt I understand what you mean. If you are meaning whether you can run CoreELEC flashed on your uSD in MMC mode instead of SPI, my answer is ABSOLUTELY. The Petitboot won't change anything on your uSD.

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 pm

@tobetter but i cant. When i put uSD in mmc mode, nothing happend. Its looks like even no hdmi signal for odroid. The red light is constantly on. I suppose what I could do wrong. at the beginning i flash recovery petitboot image. it is possible that I did it in the spi and not mmc settings. Could this cause a problem?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 6:27 pm

gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 pm
@tobetter but i cant. When i put uSD in mmc mode, nothing happend. Its looks like even no hdmi signal for odroid. The red light is constantly on. I suppose what I could do wrong. at the beginning i flash recovery petitboot image. it is possible that I did it in the spi and not mmc settings. Could this cause a problem?
I guess you overwrite the CoreELEC image with SPI flash image, you can flash new CoreELEC image to your uSD.

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 6:40 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:27 pm
gentillo wrote:
I guess you overwrite the CoreELEC image with SPI flash image, you can flash new CoreELEC image to your uSD.
When i receive odroid imadietly flash CE on uSD and everything was fine. CE boot and i use him for a while.
After that i flasing petitboot, first recovery and next 20200224 and i cannot start CE for uSD in mmc mode.
I flashed uSD many times with CE image. But when i put uSD card on odroid and power on with mmc switch nothing happend. My tv dont indicated hdmi signal. No blinking blue light on motherboard.
Nothing.
For worse in spi mode odroid dont detect any drive. I connect ssd drive and put uSD card any of these dont be detected.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 pm

gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:40 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:27 pm
gentillo wrote:
When i receive odroid imadietly flash CE on uSD and everything was fine. CE boot and i use him for a while.
After that i flasing petitboot, first recovery and next 20200224 and i cannot start CE for uSD in mmc mode.
I flashed uSD many times with CE image. But when i put uSD card on odroid and power on with mmc switch nothing happend. My tv dont indicated hdmi signal. No blinking blue light on motherboard.
Nothing.
Let's check if your MMC is fine.
Put your uSD to its slot on ODROID-N2 and place the boot select switch to SPI. So boot to the Petitboot after attaching a USB keyboard and HDMI display.
Once the Petitboot is started, select "Exit to shell" and run the command "ls /dev/mmcblk1*" and let me know what message with this command.

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Is/dev/mmcblk: not found

In system configuration its looks like on picture.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 pm

Since you are able to see /dev/mmcblk1*, your uSD is fine. But don't know why CE on your uSD is not booting from MMC when the boot select switch is at MMC. Which image file did you flash to your uSD and what's the vendor/model of your uSD?

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 7:20 pm

9.2.2 stable for odroid N2. Kingston. I think image and uSD is ok because CE start without any issue before i flashing new petitbbot. After this i cannot boot thru sdi and mmc.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm

gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:20 pm
9.2.2 stable for odroid N2. Kingston. I think image and uSD is ok because CE start without any issue before i flashing new petitbbot. After this i cannot boot thru sdi and mmc.
The Petitboot only works when the boot select switch is placed at SPI and when the boot select switch is at MMC, it starts from uSD directly. If the image on uSD is fine, it must start and I don't believe the Petitboot breaks your uSD as well since the Petitboot can show you two partitions of CoreELEC 9.2.2 image as you posted the picture. Why don't you try to replug the DC power adaptor and try another uSD?

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 7:37 pm

I will try later.

gentillo

Post by gentillo » Tue May 19, 2020 8:53 pm

@tobettter thanks for try to help me. Its my stupid mistake. I mess up with CE image. Everything under control now:)

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue May 19, 2020 8:54 pm

that's ok, good to know it's not hardware or the Petitboot issue. ;)

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

bright_plastik

Post by bright_plastik » Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm

gentillo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:53 pm
@tobettter thanks for try to help me. Its my stupid mistake. I mess up with CE image. Everything under control now:)
Anything related to the flags of the FAT partition, by the way?
I had some problems related to this, with "someMSshit" instead of "lba" flag set in the boot partition of CE. It's something to be aware of, as petitboot can be very forgiving with the flags, whereas the direct boot from storage has to be precise with those.

ricklar
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2

Post by ricklar » Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm
@gentillo, by any chance, if you had flashed CE Nightly Build, you should try another version 20200511. Recently I acknowledged that CE team changed their boot script and it is applied to the nightly build.
Thank you, this Petitboot 20200511 version works with Nightly CoreELEC. Still have the problem of Black_screen after reboot with both CE and Android with my 4k Vizio TV, think the problem is because TV has the additional setting of 4096x2160p24 than the standard 4K of 3840x2160p60, it is not big issue can easily change <TV HDMI-input> then switch back to Odroid-N2 input and TV resets resolution to be correct 2160p and screen is viewable again.
These users thanked the author ricklar for the post:
tobetter (Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm)

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Fri May 22, 2020 5:08 pm

ricklar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Thank you, this Petitboot 20200511 version works with Nightly CoreELEC. Still have the problem of Black_screen after reboot with both CE and Android with my 4k Vizio TV, think the problem is because TV has the additional setting of 4096x2160p24 than the standard 4K of 3840x2160p60, it is not big issue can easily change <TV HDMI-input> then switch back to Odroid-N2 input and TV resets resolution to be correct 2160p and screen is viewable again.
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am a bit surprised that your TV resolution is 4096x2160p24... :o

Return to “Projects”