Power Supply Circuit for in Car Installation.

Benzelite124
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Been thanked: 0

Power Supply Circuit for in Car Installation.

Post by Benzelite124 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:17 am

Hello guys, I am tying to install my odroid N2 in the car. I would like for it to supply the proper specs to power the odroid N2 and some usb devices hooked up to the n2. I think 12 volts 2-3 amps would be ideal. I have a circuit that puts out 5 volts 4 amps for the raspberry pi from mausberry circuits that uses ignition, power, ground and gpio pins to tell it to shut down and boot up. I don't think it is a good idea to supply 5v to the N2. So i would like something similar. I have power ignition and ground wires ready. I just need a module and a code that can let me do this. I want it to have a 1 minute shutdown delay and boot up a soon as the car turns on. I DO NOT want to have a battery involved as its a fire hazard and an inconvenience. If anyone has done this already it would help I have looked a lot and can't seem to find a useful answer.

benwillcox
ODROIDs: C1+
C2

Re: Power Supply Circuit for in Car Installation.

Post by benwillcox » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:44 pm

You can power the N2 directly off the car 12v supply. In my own in-car system I have an Arduino monitoring the ignition state, and when the ignition is switched on it activates a relay to apply the 12v supply to the N2. When the ignition switches off, it waits 10 minutes then sends a shutdown command via USB to the Odroid, then powers it off and the Arduino goes into sleep mode.
I have the car interior lights going to an interrupt input on the Arduino via an opto-isolator. When the car is remotely unlocked on the keyfob, the interior lights come on which wakes the Arduino and then powers up the N2. This allows the system to start booting before you even get into the car.
You can read the details about it on my website: http://www.jagdroid.org/contents/ the diagram will be updated soon as it currently mentions C2, but now I use the N2 and eliminate the 12v->5v PSU.

Ben

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:30 am

benwillcox wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:44 pm
You can power the N2 directly off the car 12v supply. In my own in-car system I have an Arduino monitoring the ignition state, and when the ignition is switched on it activates a relay to apply the 12v supply to the N2. When the ignition switches off, it waits 10 minutes then sends a shutdown command via USB to the Odroid, then powers it off and the Arduino goes into sleep mode.
I have the car interior lights going to an interrupt input on the Arduino via an opto-isolator. When the car is remotely unlocked on the keyfob, the interior lights come on which wakes the Arduino and then powers up the N2. This allows the system to start booting before you even get into the car.
You can read the details about it on my website: http://www.jagdroid.org/contents/ the diagram will be updated soon as it currently mentions C2, but now I use the N2 and eliminate the 12v->5v PSU.

Ben
I have checked out your website before, tbh I am nowhere near as experienced as you are, I really want to power my odroid up using ignition power so when I turn the key it boots up immediatly and when I turn it off theres about a 1-2 minute delay then it shuts off completely. I also have all my usb ports taken up so is it possible to do via gpio pins?

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:58 pm

i was wondering if anyone sells or knows a simple way I can build a circuit that provides about 3-4 amps in the car.

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:08 pm

@Benzelite124, what are your skills to make it by yourself?
Can you solder some parts on a bread board?
Do you want an accu pack as ups or do you want the cars battery as ups?
May you want cars battery and you have the ignition wire and the constant voltage wire it could be done by some relays and some transistor and resistors on a bread board.
But if I provide some example circuit, you would have to test it, because my N2 is in hands of my daughter and in days of corona she needs for her school studies in home.

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:50 am

joerg wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:08 pm
@Benzelite124, what are your skills to make it by yourself?
Can you solder some parts on a bread board?
Do you want an accu pack as ups or do you want the cars battery as ups?
May you want cars battery and you have the ignition wire and the constant voltage wire it could be done by some relays and some transistor and resistors on a bread board.
But if I provide some example circuit, you would have to test it, because my N2 is in hands of my daughter and in days of corona she needs for her school studies in home.
Hey Joerg thanks for your reply,
I kinda know how to solder, but I am an amateur in that field though. I want to use the car battery to power the odroid not some lithium battery. I would a guide to help me. I also need to have it turn off after a minute of the car being off. I know this is in coding. Tell me what I need and I will purchase it! I can also get a solder breadboard if that better, this was my old circuit for my pi: https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.co ... ply-switch
Thank you for your help. I have this breadboard on me: https://www.amazon.com/WB-801-Solderles ... B01DL9UEK2

jackinho
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU4, N2

Post by jackinho » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:24 pm

@Benzelite124
Have a look at this post. There is a user who has created a solution for this problem. He uses an Arduino to control the whole thing with a minimum of additional hardware.

joerg

Post by joerg » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:29 pm

@Benzelite124: Sorry my bad english. I was thinking of strip grid board, like this: https://www.amazon.de/Platine-200x100-m ... 163&sr=8-6

@jackinho: I think the OP has some respect for doing things like this, eg. programming an Arduino. So there would be needed some really easy setup.

The app I provide here since years can do the delayed shutdown. It needs the information from ignition wire, that is 12V and needs to to be 3.3V. One easy setup would be a small signal relay to do this.
Then my app can output a Hold signal to feed a second relay that connects the constant power to the N2. The problem is that the 3.3V output can't drive a relay, but there can be found some breakout boards for this. Ideal would be a relay that can be controlled by 3.3V with optocoupler and is feeded by cars 12V.
App:
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=21386

This is an discussion basic, nothing complete:
N2_Car_Power_Circuit.png
N2_Car_Power_Circuit.png (247.08 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
Benzelite124 (Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:10 am)

joerg

Post by joerg » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Some note on it: I remember that on C2 there is some latch GPIO controlled from u-boot that can be used as Hold, i wonder if there exists the same on N2.
Shutdown input is polled by 50ms from my app, no need to debounce.
1k Ohm is only used for protection of GPIO input.

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:27 am

joerg wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:29 pm
@Benzelite124: Sorry my bad english. I was thinking of strip grid board, like this: https://www.amazon.de/Platine-200x100-m ... 163&sr=8-6

@jackinho: I think the OP has some respect for doing things like this, eg. programming an Arduino. So there would be needed some really easy setup.

The app I provide here since years can do the delayed shutdown. It needs the information from ignition wire, that is 12V and needs to to be 3.3V. One easy setup would be a small signal relay to do this.
Then my app can output a Hold signal to feed a second relay that connects the constant power to the N2. The problem is that the 3.3V output can't drive a relay, but there can be found some breakout boards for this. Ideal would be a relay that can be controlled by 3.3V with optocoupler and is feeded by cars 12V.
App:
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=21386

This is an discussion basic, nothing complete:
N2_Car_Power_Circuit.png
I know you made it simpler, I understand some stuff, but remember I’m a beginner and I need one path to go. I don’t know exactly what I need to buy and assemble still?

joerg

Post by joerg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:44 am

Yes I understand. The problem is that I can't assemble an example circuit to check if it is working as expected. I searched already for a relay breakout board that can be controlled by 3.3V signal and consumption <= 5mA. There are some on AliExpress but the data provided is very small. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33038000 ... lsrc=aw.ds.
You are beginner and if you connect this to your N2 there is a chance that you burn the beloved N2.

The diode that blocks the drawback voltage to the ignition wire. This is of type SB530. There are also others, I would recommend minimum of 5A.
The 12V relais to give the ignition signal to the N2 GPIO input and the resistor of 1000 ohms you can find thousands of.

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:08 am

joerg wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:44 am
Yes I understand. The problem is that I can't assemble an example circuit to check if it is working as expected. I searched already for a relay breakout board that can be controlled by 3.3V signal and consumption <= 5mA. There are some on AliExpress but the data provided is very small. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33038000 ... lsrc=aw.ds.
You are beginner and if you connect this to your N2 there is a chance that you burn the beloved N2.

The diode that blocks the drawback voltage to the ignition wire. This is of type SB530. There are also others, I would recommend minimum of 5A.
The 12V relais to give the ignition signal to the N2 GPIO input and the resistor of 1000 ohms you can find thousands of.
I really need someone to test it out for me, I wish you had your n2, here are some components I found searching around: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333019257224
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382800473521
If someone has a picture of a working prototype please do send it!

joerg

Post by joerg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi, no these components are not what you need. The time controlled delay for shutdown can be done by my app.
Here is another relay modue I found on AliExpress: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32849672 ... web201603_, the 12V variant. I saw in the datasheet of two vendors of those relays that the coil supports maximum 15.6V, so they should work in the car. Also the supplier here writes that the trigger current is 5mA, so the N2 should be able to control it.

I thought about another circuit with 3 of this relay modules and three resistors as the most simple solution I can imagine:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-04-24 11-35-34.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-04-24 11-35-34.png (45.41 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
The Ignition controls module U1, this switches power to the N2. When Hold signal is high, module U2 switches power to the N2 and holds it until is as long as shutdown is delayed. The module U3 gives ignition signal to the N2. This solution don't need a diode. It can be easily stripped without an strip grit board, e.g mounted on a epoxy board with some luster clamps.

I can buy some of them and test it. It would take 20 ...30 days to get them. At the end I can make use of them if I decide to overthink my existing solution with Lipo. I also live with the fear of burning my car... maybe when I get the new C4. :D
Benzelite124 (Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm)

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:59 pm

joerg wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm
Hi, no these components are not what you need. The time controlled delay for shutdown can be done by my app.
Here is another relay modue I found on AliExpress: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32849672 ... web201603_, the 12V variant. I saw in the datasheet of two vendors of those relays that the coil supports maximum 15.6V, so they should work in the car. Also the supplier here writes that the trigger current is 5mA, so the N2 should be able to control it.

I thought about another circuit with 3 of this relay modules and three resistors as the most simple solution I can imagine:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-04-24 11-35-34.png
The Ignition controls module U1, this switches power to the N2. When Hold signal is high, module U2 switches power to the N2 and holds it until is as long as shutdown is delayed. The module U3 gives ignition signal to the N2. This solution don't need a diode. It can be easily stripped without an strip grit board, e.g mounted on a epoxy board with some luster clamps.

I can buy some of them and test it. It would take 20 ...30 days to get them. At the end I can make use of them if I decide to overthink my existing solution with Lipo. I also live with the fear of burning my car... maybe when I get the new C4. :D
Can't risk a fire, I don't understand why so many things are required, the car supplies 12v and the odroid n2 demands 12v all we have to do is tell it to shutdown when it recieves ignition power after 1 minute which is controlled by your app. Are there solutions that someone else has done that I could buy?

joerg

Post by joerg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Can't risk a fire, I don't understand why so many things are required, the car supplies 12v and the odroid n2 demands 12v all we have to do is tell it to shutdown when it receives ignition power after 1 minute which is controlled by your app.
You can, of course, power the Odroid N2 with the constant power. When it shuts down, than it has a unknown current consumption. I need to steel the N2 from my daughter to measure this. I measured this years ago when I installed an Odroid C1 in my car. As I remember it was about 200 ... 300mA with all usb devices plugged in: GPS mouse, 4G modem, touchscreen, flash drive. I decided for me to not let it stay connected to cars battery. There is a risk that you draw your battery empty and you need a charger to switch on the car. Especially when the battery becomes poor and in winter time and you don't touch the car a week or two. But this has to decide everyone by himself. I remember posts of users say that this is nonsense. Clearly, when the current consumption is known and the capacity of cars battery, you can calculate: e.g. 70Ah / 0.1A = 700h = 29days.
I will come back later... with some measurement results...

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:09 pm

joerg wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:33 pm
Can't risk a fire, I don't understand why so many things are required, the car supplies 12v and the odroid n2 demands 12v all we have to do is tell it to shutdown when it receives ignition power after 1 minute which is controlled by your app.
You can, of course, power the Odroid N2 with the constant power. When it shuts down, than it has a unknown current consumption. I need to steel the N2 from my daughter to measure this. I measured this years ago when I installed an Odroid C1 in my car. As I remember it was about 200 ... 300mA with all usb devices plugged in: GPS mouse, 4G modem, touchscreen, flash drive. I decided for me to not let it stay connected to cars battery. There is a risk that you draw your battery empty and you need a charger to switch on the car. Especially when the battery becomes poor and in winter time and you don't touch the car a week or two. But this has to decide everyone by himself. I remember posts of users say that this is nonsense. Clearly, when the current consumption is known and the capacity of cars battery, you can calculate: e.g. 70Ah / 0.1A = 700h = 29days.
I will come back later... with some measurement results...
I don't want to power it with constant power: this one https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.co ... ply-switch did everything I wanted it t, only problem is it puts out 5v and its meant for the raspberry pi.

joerg

Post by joerg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:05 pm

OK, maybe my thoughts are to complicated. Could also be a solution, if you connect a 5V to 12V boost converter between the mausberry car switch and the N2. The GPIO wires of this switch should be 3.3V as the raspberry pi has also no 5V tolerated GPIO. So it should be possible to connect this two GPIOs to the N2.
But then there is a lot of switching converters: the mausberry device, the 5V-12V boost converter, the step down converters on the N2.
And the easiest solution is you wait for the Odroid C4 and can make use of the Mausberry Car Switch without any modification... ;)
Benzelite124 (Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:53 pm)

jackinho

Post by jackinho » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:23 pm

joerg wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:05 pm
(…) And the easiest solution is you wait for the Odroid C4 and can make use of the Mausberry Car Switch without any modification... ;)
For the C4 a 12V/2A power supply is recommended. The input range is 5.5V ~ 17V, so if the Mausberry outputs 5.0V this wouldn't be enough to power the C4!
These users thanked the author jackinho for the post (total 2):
Benzelite124 (Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm) • joerg (Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:27 pm)

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:53 pm

joerg wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:05 pm
OK, maybe my thoughts are to complicated. Could also be a solution, if you connect a 5V to 12V boost converter between the mausberry car switch and the N2. The GPIO wires of this switch should be 3.3V as the raspberry pi has also no 5V tolerated GPIO. So it should be possible to connect this two GPIOs to the N2.
But then there is a lot of switching converters: the mausberry device, the 5V-12V boost converter, the step down converters on the N2.
And the easiest solution is you wait for the Odroid C4 and can make use of the Mausberry Car Switch without any modification... ;)
Definitly not getting the C4 just bought the N2, c4 is weaker. I want to supply about 3-4 amps at 12v to the Odroid N2, has anyone already done this I want to know it's 100% going to work before putting it together, and even better if someone has a premade circuit power supply I would definetly consider purchasing it , the sooner the better. I am fine building or buying a new power supply I just want the N2 to work in my car without issue. I really appreciate your help.

joerg

Post by joerg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Sorry that I can't provide a ready made solution. You know, I'm a DIY loving guy. I for my own I prefer to make something before I buy something, realizing that also I cannot make everything by my own.

OK. My measurements, only for reference, if some day somebody find it useful:
Attached to USB ports are:
-3G modem
-U-Blox7 GPS mouse
-Flash drive
-Wired mice
-Odroid VU7+ ( at OTG)
Current on 12V wire during idle run: ~530mA
Current after shutdown: 14mA !!!

That's surprising! OK, the power supply for the USB ports are switched off. So what I wrote above about the C1, for the N2 it is not true.

jackinho

Post by jackinho » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Voltage in a car is not stable. It can vary from about 7V up to 18V. So I would recommend to use a voltage stabilizer like this. I am also currently working on a CarPC based on the N2 and I will definitely use a voltage stabilizer. And I plan to create a power management circuit with an Arduino similar to the one I mentioned above. I will do it by myself because I couldn't find a readymade solution. I have only a little experience in electronics and programming and therefore it means spending a lot of time with reading and learning and testing … but hey – you can't beat that feeling when you finally get things done and they are working! :D

joerg

Post by joerg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:31 pm

For the C4 a 12V/2A power supply is recommended. The input range is 5.5V ~ 17V, so if the Mausberry outputs 5.0V this wouldn't be enough to power the C4!
Thank you, I missed this detail. Damn, than it is not a one to one replacement for my C2! :?

joerg

Post by joerg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:44 pm

jackinho wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:29 pm
Voltage in a car is not stable. It can vary from about 7V up to 18V. So I would recommend to use a voltage stabilizer like this. I am also currently working on a CarPC based on the N2 and I will definitely use a voltage stabilizer. And I plan to create a power management circuit with an Arduino similar to the one I mentioned above. I will do it by myself because I couldn't find a readymade solution. I have only a little experience in electronics and programming and therefore it means spending a lot of time with reading and learning and testing … but hey – you can't beat that feeling when you finally get things done and they are working! :D
That's definitely true. If you have any question, come back here or open your own thread. Help will be with you. ;)
jackinho (Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:54 pm)

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Here is some really helpful response I found: https://www.reddit.com/r/ODroid/comment ... ed_car_pc/
I think this is the route to go!

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Here is an idea of how I assume it would look like:
CAR CIRCUIT.png
CAR CIRCUIT.png (427.42 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Adjustable ... merReviews
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Time-De ... SwHb9eo7sz

Idk what if I am right I am just guessing.

joerg

Post by joerg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:28 pm

@Benzelite124, it's not clear how much input current this relay has. It's typical for this china sellers, they don't provide all needed information. For sure the VCC and GND terminals are input, not output. This board need supply voltage for the relay and the electronics. It does not take it from the NO-COM-NC contacts, trust in me. These contacts are galvanic isolated from the control electronic.

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:38 am

joerg wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:28 pm
@Benzelite124, it's not clear how much input current this relay has. It's typical for this china sellers, they don't provide all needed information. For sure the VCC and GND terminals are input, not output. This board need supply voltage for the relay and the electronics. It does not take it from the NO-COM-NC contacts, trust in me. These contacts are galvanic isolated from the control electronic.
So are you saying I find a different relay I really just want a solution, I am so lost. If anyone has an odroid n2 working in the car please do let me know!

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 am

Would this work:Image

I am really hoping you say yes, all I need is the step up converter, the Mausberry Circuit all ready does most the work and converts 12v to 5v 4amps and uses gpio pins to communicate with the odroid and the power is converter from 5v to 12v with the step up converter. I also need help with the software I installed the power switch app and hope the mausberry circuit can communicate with the odroid.
Attachments
ODROID N2 PSU UPDATED.png
ODROID N2 PSU UPDATED.png (3.64 MiB) Viewed 1766 times

joerg

Post by joerg » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Hello Benzelite124, I think this should work.
But connect the GPIO wires: OUT to Pin.35 / WPI 24 and IN to Pin.32 / WPI 26.

jackinho

Post by jackinho » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:41 pm

@Benzelite124
You can't get 12V/4A (48W) output from 5V/4A (20W) input!
These users thanked the author jackinho for the post:
Benzelite124 (Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 am)

joerg

Post by joerg » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:55 am

Indeed this is not the most optimal solution, but he will not need 48W.

From Wiki:

Code: Select all

1 x DC jack : outer (negative) diameter 5.5mm, inner(positive) diameter 2.1mm
DC 7.5V ~ 18V (up to 25W)
- DC 12V/2A power adaptor is recommended
Power consumption:
- IDLE : ≃ 1.9W (Performance governor)
- CPU Stress : ≃ 5.5W
- Power-off : ≃ 0.2W 
Yesterday I haven't measured more than 1.1A with all USB devices connected, also the VU7+.

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:31 am

joerg wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:55 am
Indeed this is not the most optimal solution, but he will not need 48W.

From Wiki:

1 x DC jack : outer (negative) diameter 5.5mm, inner(positive) diameter 2.1mm
DC 7.5V ~ 18V (up to 25W)
- DC 12V/2A power adaptor is recommended
Power consumption:
- IDLE : ≃ 1.9W (Performance governor)
- CPU Stress : ≃ 5.5W
- Power-off : ≃ 0.2W 
Yesterday I haven't measured more than 1.1A with all USB devices connected, also the VU7+.
I will try to measure all of this when my converter arrives, but I have a screen, a usb mic, usb Bluetooth, usb WiFi adapter, and usb CarPlay attached to the odroid. Probably won’t be more that 1.5 amps.

L67GS
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(2) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Using the idea of a second relay from an earlier post you could use this guy's simple transistor circuit to keep the second relay on from GPIO.

https://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys ... -tutorial/

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:00 pm

joerg wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:09 pm
Hello Benzelite124, I think this should work.
But connect the GPIO wires: OUT to Pin.35 / WPI 24 and IN to Pin.32 / WPI 26.
Hello today I hooked it up in my car the way i said i was going to and it turned on and worked, but the mausberry power supply has a safety shut down a minute after starting feature if it can't talk to the device its powering. This is the website: https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.co ... /car-setup
can someone help me translate this script so the odroid can communicate with mausberry circuit?

joerg

Post by joerg » Sun May 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Hello Benzelite124, do you have installed my app GpioShutdownService? If yes, you need to open the apps prefernces page and make the settings:
Shutdown Pin = 24
Shutdown Delay: in milliseconds, whatever you want.
Holdpower Pin: 26
Restart Pin: nothing
Heartbeat Pin: nothing
RemotePiSequence Pin: nothing
You need to press the upper left button to restart the service. If you need, you can restart the service always this way, opening the preferences and press back.

The WPI 26 is normally 0, the app set it to 1, when started and back 0 when shutting down.

Remember to give all permissions to the app. It doesn't open it automatically, you must go to settings/apps/...
You need to enable root. On Lineage, you can do this in developer settings. On Android Pie you need to install Magisk.
Last edited by joerg on Sun May 10, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Post by tobetter » Sun May 10, 2020 6:27 pm

joerg wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:24 pm
Hello Benzelite124, do you have installed my app GpioShutdownService? If yes, you need to open the settings page and make the settings:
Shutdown Pin = 24

The WPI 26 is normally 0, the app set it to 1, when started and back 0 when shutting down.

Remember to give all permissions to the app. It doesn't open it automatically, you must go to settings/apps/...
You need to enable root. On Lineage, you can do this in developer settings. On Android Pie you need to install Magisk.
Out of curiosity, how much it is difficult if your GpioShutdownService can be rewritten with AndroidThings API supported by ODROID-N2 Android and can be built in the stock images of Android/LineageOS.

joerg

Post by joerg » Sun May 10, 2020 7:01 pm

[edit] Sorry, I just realize this is not my thread. The following is off topic, please forgive!

This is some work. I already thought about this.
But I would interrupt with my other projects ...
C4 Carputer
IMG_20200510_115000.jpg
IMG_20200510_115000.jpg (488.98 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Smartlock prototype with STM32L431, NRF2401L+
IMG_20200510_114806.jpg
IMG_20200510_114806.jpg (346.85 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
And last, but not least: Bathroom...
IMG_20200510_113912.jpg
IMG_20200510_113912.jpg (308.4 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
rooted (Mon May 11, 2020 3:38 am)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Sun May 10, 2020 10:03 pm

=))
You may need to reinstall that bathroom. Looks corrupted...

joerg

Post by joerg » Sun May 10, 2020 10:33 pm

Oh, really, it is looking like a disaster. ;)

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 am

joerg wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:24 pm
Hello Benzelite124, do you have installed my app GpioShutdownService? If yes, you need to open the apps prefernces page and make the settings:
Shutdown Pin = 24
You need to press the upper left button to restart the service. If you need, you can restart the service always this way, opening the preferences and press back.

So I tried this now after enabling SU access and the odroid stays on but when I power my car off it shuts down Instantly not properly.

joerg

Post by joerg » Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm

Hello Benzelite124,
could you please connect with adb and make a log like this when you opened the GpioShutdownService preferences and press the upper left back button:
adb shell logcat | grep shutdown (grep is Linux, I don't know the equivalent command on Windows)

05-18 12:14:13.439  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Root is available
05-18 12:14:13.467  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: RootTools access is given
05-18 12:14:13.467  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Model: hardkernel odroid-c4
05-18 12:14:13.470  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Checking ro.product.device, check = true
05-18 12:14:13.470  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Entering wiringPiSetup, check = true
05-18 12:14:13.470  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Starting reading shared preferences, check = true
05-18 12:14:13.471  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Restart: 27
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Shutdown: 24
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Time.Shutdown: 12000
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Heartbeat: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Time.Heartbeat: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.HoldPower: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.GpioRemotePiSequence: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra1: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra2: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra3: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra4: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra5: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra6: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra7: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra8: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra9: 
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra10: 
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: GpioShutdownService is made by J. Wolff and works only on Odroid_C1/C2/ Experimental on XU3/XU4/N1. Use it on your own risk!
The default values are:4  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: 
wiringPi# 24 aka Pin 35: short by resistor 2k to GND triggers Shutdown.
wiringPi# 27 aka Pin 36: short by resistor 2k to GND triggers Reboot.
wiringPi# 23 aka Pin 33: output set to high until powered down
Don't use it on other Platform! You have been warned. 
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: pinMode: 24
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: pinMode: 27
05-18 12:14:13.475  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: ready!
05-18 12:14:13.475  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: onCreate() exit
05-18 12:14:13.487  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: onStartCommand()
05-18 12:14:13.487  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: onStartCommand().t.scheduleAtFixedRate()
05-18 12:14:13.496  3281  3639 W ActivityTaskManager: Duplicate finish request for ActivityRecord{b40461f u0 com.jw.shutdownservice/.SettingsActivity t96 f}
05-18 12:14:14.028  3054  3321 E BufferQueueProducer: [com.jw.shutdownservice/com.jw.shutdownservice.SettingsActivity#0] disconnect: not connected (req=1)
Note that this are settings from my C4, not N2. But I need the log to see if it is working as expected and the settings are right.
Also please check that the service is started in foreground:
Screenshot_20200518-113324_Trebuchet.png
Screenshot_20200518-113324_Trebuchet.png (318.97 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Further you can upload here a picture of your installation, to see if it is right connected.
odroid (Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 am)

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:26 am

joerg wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm
Hello Benzelite124,
could you please connect with adb and make a log like this when you opened the GpioShutdownService preferences and press the upper left back button:
adb shell logcat | grep shutdown (grep is Linux, I don't know the equivalent command on Windows)

05-18 12:14:13.439  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Root is available
05-18 12:14:13.467  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: RootTools access is given
05-18 12:14:13.467  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Model: hardkernel odroid-c4
05-18 12:14:13.470  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Checking ro.product.device, check = true
05-18 12:14:13.470  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Entering wiringPiSetup, check = true
05-18 12:14:13.470  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Starting reading shared preferences, check = true
05-18 12:14:13.471  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Restart: 27
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Shutdown: 24
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Time.Shutdown: 12000
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Heartbeat: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Time.Heartbeat: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.HoldPower: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.GpioRemotePiSequence: 
05-18 12:14:13.472  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra1: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra2: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra3: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra4: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra5: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra6: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra7: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra8: 
05-18 12:14:13.473  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra9: 
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: Gpio.Extra10: 
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: GpioShutdownService is made by J. Wolff and works only on Odroid_C1/C2/ Experimental on XU3/XU4/N1. Use it on your own risk!
The default values are:4  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: 
wiringPi# 24 aka Pin 35: short by resistor 2k to GND triggers Shutdown.
wiringPi# 27 aka Pin 36: short by resistor 2k to GND triggers Reboot.
wiringPi# 23 aka Pin 33: output set to high until powered down
Don't use it on other Platform! You have been warned. 
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: pinMode: 24
05-18 12:14:13.474  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: pinMode: 27
05-18 12:14:13.475  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: ready!
05-18 12:14:13.475  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: onCreate() exit
05-18 12:14:13.487  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: onStartCommand()
05-18 12:14:13.487  4774  4774 I com.jw.gpioshutdown: onStartCommand().t.scheduleAtFixedRate()
05-18 12:14:13.496  3281  3639 W ActivityTaskManager: Duplicate finish request for ActivityRecord{b40461f u0 com.jw.shutdownservice/.SettingsActivity t96 f}
05-18 12:14:14.028  3054  3321 E BufferQueueProducer: [com.jw.shutdownservice/com.jw.shutdownservice.SettingsActivity#0] disconnect: not connected (req=1)
Note that this are settings from my C4, not N2. But I need the log to see if it is working as expected and the settings are right.
Also please check that the service is started in foreground:
Screenshot_20200518-113324_Trebuchet.png
Further you can upload here a picture of your installation, to see if it is right connected.
When I click the back button, it doesn't restart at all. Shutdown down service does not say it is running in forground. Everytime I turn odroid on it says super user access granted to shutdown services.

joerg

Post by joerg » Mon May 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Without log or more information it is hard to say what's wrong.
But a guess: Have you given all permissions in preferences - apps?

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:18 pm

joerg wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:42 pm
Without log or more information it is hard to say what's wrong.
But a guess: Have you given all permissions in preferences - apps?
I have given all permissions and re installed the latest version today. I had notifications off the app is running in the forground.

joerg

Post by joerg » Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 pm

OK, then app seems to run. But now third time I ask you, could you please provide a log? I need it to see how the settings are.

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:11 am

joerg wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 pm
OK, then app seems to run. But now third time I ask you, could you please provide a log? I need it to see how the settings are.
So I typed in .\adb shell logcat findstr shutdown
and i went in the shutdown service app and clicked back and nothing happens it just goes back to the homescreen.
Attachments
odroidlog.txt
(33.24 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm

So today I hooked it up in my car and when I click the back button in your shutdown service it shuts down. When I turn the car on it turns on, then when I turn the car of it doesn't shut down, but if I slight touch the gpio pins after a minute it shuts of immediately, maybe it's a loose gpio pin connector.

Benzelite124

Post by Benzelite124 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm

So today I hooked it up in my car and when I click the back button in your shutdown service it shuts down. When I turn the car on it turns on, then when I turn the car of it doesn't shut down, but if I slighty touch the gpio pins after a minute it shuts of immediately, maybe it's a loose gpio pin connector.

joerg

Post by joerg » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Dear Benzelite124, maybe this, a loose connector. But maybe also a bug in my app. I found in your log that GpioShutdownService reports wrong device and therefore does not start. I am about to set up the N2 I gave my daughter, but I steeled it now to do that. I have some difficulties to set it up, with ethernet network, with Magisk...I have to figure out how. Processing update, but it is so slow... Pls. stay patience.

joerg

Post by joerg » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 pm

Hi Benzelite124,
indeed there was a bug in my app, or we can say the device string i check has changed in between I tested my app last time on N2. I have uploaded a new version with bugfix.
There must be a notification with progress, when the shutdown process is started:
progress.png
progress.png (49.11 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Return to “Android”