Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer

Sav
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-n2

Re: Debian/Ubuntu Netboot Installer

Post by Sav » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:29 pm

tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:03 am
I am still suspecting that the glitch problem happens in the kernel and it happens more frequently when the bunch of a small part of the screen is updating. Still not found the best way to debugging. I've observed a similar glitch issue even from a minimal image. Still not figure out the best way to debug it. KDE on the Wayland is a bit worse, I guess it's not solely KDE problem. I've purchased HDMI screen grabbing device which is coming in a couple of days, I hope I can share more clearly what's what.

By the way, is it worth to start Ubuntu 20.04 if I can share the way how you guys can install Ubuntu 20.04 on ODROID-N2?
Is it possible to test hardware acceleration over llvmpile in 5.6 mainline kernel?
I think that the more the mainline kernel advances, the more we loose compatibility with the proprietary mali driver.
So, while we are waiting for panfrost support, maybe is worth to explore other solutions.

Sav

Post by Sav » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 pm

odroidn2user wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:32 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 am
I don't have a patch for Gnome desktop packages at all. I've not tested the Armbian image but curious if they use Wayland+DRM.
No wayland there. Not sure how to detect DRM, I'm guessing that is default. But yeah, no wayland with the drm.

tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 am
If you have the Petitboot 20200224, the Petitboot will load Ubuntu 20.04 Netboot Installer using PXE, but you have to manually run the command pb-event url@/net/eth0 url=http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/pxeboot/ODROID-N2/default in the Petitboot shell.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873#p282985
So, I have an interesting morning.
The Odroid with Armbian on SD (a Lexar) boots, but refuses to log in. Just shows a mouse cursor. Either with the Ubuntu Gnome or with XFCE. Tried it a couple of times, no luck. Worked fine yesterday when I shut it down.

So, back to the RockPro64, with Manjaro ARM on a Samsung T5 SSD, which boots over USB3, has Panfrost. A nice setup.
Also doesn't boot, like completely not. Worked fine when yesterday when I shut it down.

Well, I still have the tobetter ubuntu image going on the Odroid. Plug back in the eMMC. It boots.
I update to the 20200224 petitboot as linked. Now the SPI refuses to boot.
The update when correct, it erased, flashed and verified. But then... nothing.
The new petitboot doesn't AT ALL support my HDTV-monitor.
I tried another monitor (a new Dell), it shows the logo, gives a couple of error messages then, black screen nothing.
I grab my camera, reboot petitboot for a little photo show. The camera gives a long pause and a big flash, the text on screen was by then long gone. Switch off the flash, try again.
Only shows the HK-logo, doesn't even bother with the error messages any more.

So, yeah. Not all that excited abou tthe 20200224 petitboot.
And pretty annoyed with the completely unpredictable and unreliable behaviour of theseARM devices.

HAve to go find a working computer now, to download the older petitboot and try to get the Odroid going again.
Then have to find out what is wrong the RockPro. Both are now useless for trying to download and install the petitboot again.
I have a limited experience in the boot process of the N2, but on the Armbian forum there are discussions of booting issues.
Balbes150 suggests that is needed a modified version of uboot-SPI in SPI for booting recent kernels [url][https://forum.armbian.com/topic/13580-o ... -98348/url]
Maybe tobetter can give us more insights.

odroidn2user
ODROIDs: N2, C4

Post by odroidn2user » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:25 am

Sav wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 pm
I have a limited experience in the boot process of the N2, but on the Armbian forum there are discussions of booting issues.
Balbes150 suggests that is needed a modified version of uboot-SPI in SPI for booting recent kernels [url][https://forum.armbian.com/topic/13580-o ... -98348/url]
Hmm, uboot does indeed seem to have to be updated for recent mainline kernels.
But would that interfere with video processing/handling?

I've reflashed the spiboot with the recovery tool, back to petitboot 201911. Everything works again on that front.
That recovery image is a nice bit of kit. Worked wonderfully.

I've reinstalled Manjaro ARM on the N2 with an SD card, came with 5.5 (not sure which minor version) and update all through kernel 5.6.
Was a pain, correcting the boot.ini then all the mirror switching and python packages, but in the end it all works.
And: Strange enough I didn't get any glitching now on both the 5.5 kernel that was in the image and now with 5.6.
Just watched an hour orso of youtube, went allright. Video performance not that great, but 1080p30 in Firefox works fine, about what it was elsewhere.
Kernel 5.6 still has no sound natively on the N2, like whatsoever. aplay -l lists completely nothing. External usb audio worked.

I'm now thinking the video glitching was a temporary regression, that got fixed somehow in some kernel version/releases?
It's all a little strange. It's becoming very selective, I can now only reproduce it with tobetters ubuntu image.

Sav

Post by Sav » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:31 am

odroidn2user wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:25 am
Sav wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 pm
Hmm, uboot does indeed seem to have to be updated for recent mainline kernels.
But would that interfere with video processing/handling?
I wrote 2 different posts: the first about the video accelleration and the second about the boot issues.
By the way, I didn't test the latest Armbian image, but on the forum they claim to have an almost full hardware support over the mainline 5.4 kernel. Some users can't boot it, ence the topic about the bootloader.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 am

Sav wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:29 pm
Is it possible to test hardware acceleration over llvmpile in 5.6 mainline kernel?
Well, if I remove the eMMC I can boot the Manjaro ARM which has 5.6.
If there is any command I can run to test things?
There is not a way to test the Mali driver on there, as far as I know. For that we need tobetter's image.
And he's working on 5.6 so...
Sav wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:29 pm
I think that the more the mainline kernel advances, the more we loose compatibility with the proprietary mali driver.
So, while we are waiting for panfrost support, maybe is worth to explore other solutions.
That might indeed be true. But the glitching happens without using the Wayland/Mali driver as well.

And I guess the idea tobetter has, is to stay at 5.4 as does Ubuntu for the 20.04 release.
That should in theory keep hardware support somewhat equal, in theory, in theory.
The hardware support for the odroid on mainline is still not quite there yet, but people are looking at this / working on it, so...?

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:46 am

Sav wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:31 am
By the way, I didn't test the latest Armbian image, but on the forum they claim to have an almost full hardware support over the mainline 5.4 kernel. Some users can't boot it, ence the topic about the bootloader.
Yeah, Armbian seemed to work quite well. Had to erase it because of other things.
But yeah, it worked fine.
Just no hardware acceleration OR audio. Tried tobetter's commands, that didn't work. No onboard audio.

I can't really remember any problems booting it. But I've had to reset these devices so many times for booting, my memory is a little cloudy...
The freshly downloaded Bionic 5.4 image booted fine once it got going. Will have to test more for any clear say though.
Smooth booting isn't quite a thing for ARM devices, it seems. So many resets I am losing count. But I can't really remember having trouble booting Armbian specifically.
I did have a problem logging in today. Once I entered my credentials in GDM, it just froze.
I contributed that to faulty SD card, but who knows... It worked fine yesterday, so...
And it's a nice image, looks good, pretty fast.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:35 pm

tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:40 pm
Since the Petitboot is not working, I would prepare an installer. Even you can try to upgrade your Disco to Focal after updating the file in /etc/apt/* but...well...I've failed a couple of times the packages are not reliable.
OK, I followed the update instructions (somewhat) from OMGubuntu
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/04/how ... untu-20-04

I first upgraded the tobetter 202003 ubuntu 19.04 testing installation to 19.10, with a 'sudo do-release-upgrade'.
That went fine, if that it ended a little abruptly. Did a reboot.
Everything seemed to work, meaning: it booted, Wayland was still accelerated, the audio workaround for audio over hdmi still worked.
I like that petitboot nicely noted it was 19.10 now.

Then did a 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' to switch to the 20.04 development branche.
Went alright. Took quite a bit longer though, and gave quite a few python warnings.
At the end it requested a reboot, that worked nicely.

There are a few issues, quite a few issues that require some testing, but the upgrade path worked for me.
Now running Ubuntu 20.04, with kernel 5.4, on Wayland, using the Mali driver, with audio over HDMI... on the Odroid N2!
And with a working mouse cursor, I might add. And working power management. And it works with petitboot.
And the window animations, like fading in/out, all work smoothly. I usually find it annoying, but it works nice and smooth here.
The menu button, which fades to a menu and shows the icons flying in, it works perfectly smooth now with 20.02.
Wahoo!

The dash-to-panel extension however, now shows the icons of the apps centered on the taskbar, which is annoying.
And the ubuntu tweak extention configuration panels won't load. So you can't change the settings of the extensions.
Also, Totem doesn't seem to play video. mpv still works, sorta. But, yeah, Totem doesn't play video anymore.
And the working totem / gnome video's was one of the highlights of the 19.04 wayland release, so that bad.
And the glitching issue is still there.
Firefox works fine, the video performance might be a little lower than a fresh 19.04 at first glance, but still does 1080p30 fine.

Using:
Linux disco 5.4.0-odroid-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Ubuntu 5.4.28-202003312239~disco (2020-03-31) aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
with Gnome 3.36, running Wayland.

Oh, and if you are running things from an SD card, do not do the release upgrade path. I'm pretty sure that will fail.

Update:
I've updated to the focal packages on the linuxfactory ppa, and firefox is behaving weird. It doesn't go full screen as it used to.
Firefox is a little difficult to get full screen / maximized right. But you can do it, and then it does work right.
Glitching thing not solved yet, sadly. And video file playing still tricky.
Yeah, the bionic kernel and mali packages seem to behave better than the packages from the linuxfactory focal ppa.

m8kbv
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid N2 4GB
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 pm

I updated from 19.10 to 20.4 on the SD card, the system works and starts up well.
ubuntu software doesn't work for me.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:48 pm

m8kbv wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 pm
ubuntu software doesn't work for me.
Just noticed, same here.
(Been using the terminal...)
Also, it seems I can't seem log in without wayland on an xorg gnome session.
And the dash-to-panel applications icons have somehow aligned themselves to the left again, instead of the center.

And in certain situations (when watching full screen video) the mouse cursor disappears.
Yeah, so the bionic linuxfactory packages (kernel and mali drivers) seemed to work better on 20.04 than the focal kernel / mali drivers.
These users thanked the author odroidn2user for the post:
m8kbv (Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:12 am)

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:12 am

I wonder if N2 will start working as expected at the time of purchase (full acceleration, great community support, many distyo etc ...)
@tobetter save our little dreams😀

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:03 am

m8kbv wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:12 am
I wonder if N2 will start working as expected at the time of purchase (full acceleration, great community support, many distyo etc ...)
@tobetter save our little dreams😀
:)
It is certainly getting close. There are a lot of little things to fix, clearly, but the large parts are in place.
DRM support, hardware accelerated graphics, kernel series 5, up-to-date software, flashy graphics...

Firefox without MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 does better. Does full screen normally, mouse ok, etc.
Whereas previously Firefox with wayland support enabled worked better / smoother than without.
This seems to be a regression of an earlier bug in Firefox, was apparently fixed, now it is back for version 74.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1593408
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1609538
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1625664
I guess they fixed it for ff75 beta, so we'll have to wait for ff75.

[Update: I can confirm that the beta of firefox 75 does indeed do fullscreen / maximized better.
It is a little jumpy getting into and out of maximized window, it is not smooth like other apps, but it works correctly otherwise.
You can get the firefox beta using the firefox-next ppa.]

Gnome Video / Totem still works, the codec packages are however removed during the upgrade.
And the codec packages are a little tricky to install. But once you got them all, Gnome Video / Totem plays video again.

Most default Gnome apps work, quite a few other apps still segfault or fail to start in other ways, but the most annoying thing is the visual glitching...
That kinda prevents people (well: me) from actually using it. Because otherwise it is actually pretty good as-is!
It has fast and reliable booting, GPU acceleration, Firefox and Gnome Video work smoothly (or will soon), Thunderbird & Libreoffice work ok.
File manager works smoothly, desktop effects go alright, looks are pretty decent (still think 19.04 looked better), gnome extensions work somewhat OK.
Desktop experience, it feels/reacts pretty responsive, amazing really, the desktop animations go mostly smoothly.
That's basically me with most of my use cases covered now already!

No QT apps are working, but... yeah. I know it improves a bit with some well chosen packages, but which...

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Post by tobetter » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Thank you for testing and sharing your experiences. With 20.04, the challenge is that it keeps changing from time to time...the mouse pointer was disappeared for some time and back again before last week, Qt had been working for some time, but has been broken due to some package dependencies, I suspect. Qt examples basically work but some of them are still not... :)

You have the Netboot Installer and the Petitboot, so you can install the multiple OS to a single USB stick and can boot from one of them. :D

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:09 pm

tobetter wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 pm
Thank you for testing and sharing your experiences. With 20.04, the challenge is that it keeps changing from time to time...the mouse pointer was disappeared for some time and back again before last week, Qt had been working for some time, but has been broken due to some package dependencies, I suspect. Qt examples basically work but some of them are still not... :)

You have the Netboot Installer and the Petitboot, so you can install the multiple OS to a single USB stick and can boot from one of them. :D
Thank you for building the image to test with!! That image really is pretty great!

The 20.04 really is a work in progress, indeed, but most of my daily use cases are covered and working already. It is a pretty impressive package.
Smoothing out the last few things will be difficult (thinking mostly of the glitching thing here) I imagine, but ... It works! And: Good!

After 20.04 was working, and I wanted to install some codec packs, it wanted to remove your mali-wayland packages for some reason.
I then re-enabled your PPA for focal package (you had some!) and there were updates. And I guess some other 20.04 updates through in as well.
Because after those updates, it worked a little less smoothly. Firefox suddenly did weird, perhaps I just noticed it after the update?
And it seemed the animations changed a little? Animations looked a little less smooth? Were there changes in the new kernel or mali package?
Not quite sure, went a little weird. And also a little difficult to pinpoint. But for now, it (almost) all still works fine, really.

The QT thing, I've gotten some QT apps going under wayland by installing some qtwayland packages. That seems a missing requirement, somewhere.
With the qtwayland packages, QT apps actually start. But then the QT apps work with a different window decoration and, well, noticeably different theming altogether.
So, yeah, I imagine with some additional configuration (theming) and some additional qt-wayland packages, QT will come a long way as well.
And at some point someone might be able to see if xwayland and QT are a solution for us here. If you don't need accelerated KDE/QT apps, XWayland probably the most compatible way to go.
It seems there are also some environment variables required, not just the packages:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland#Qt_5

But Gnome packages are clearly the place to be for Wayland. And much to my surprise, that is actually perfectly doable.
Now, let's hope they fix the gnome extension configuration panels soon :)

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:26 pm

Just out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to take the Armbian kernel and apply the Mali dkms to that?
Does the mali dkms thing need special kernel settings/configuration that is not regularly available?

Armbian seems to have the 5.4 kernel going quite right with the hardware, if we could stick the Mali driver on top of that...?
Or alternatively, if we could take an ubuntu 20.04 image (or even the 19.04) and stick the Armbian 5.4 kernel and tobetters dkms into that...?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:05 pm

odroidn2user wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:26 pm
Just out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to take the Armbian kernel and apply the Mali dkms to that?
Does the mali dkms thing need special kernel settings/configuration that is not regularly available?

Armbian seems to have the 5.4 kernel going quite right with the hardware, if we could stick the Mali driver on top of that...?
Or alternatively, if we could take an ubuntu 20.04 image (or even the 19.04) and stick the Armbian 5.4 kernel and tobetters dkms into that...?
I am not sure what makes you think the Armbian kernel is right with the hardware. Their git may have more patches or different kernel config, no idea since I don't know what they changed. Since Armbian is more popular than mine so their kernel must be more customized and patched for many inputs. If the kernel from mine does not have a stability or performance issue, it would be more like the kernel config issue.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:19 pm

tobetter wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:05 pm
I am not sure what makes you think the Armbian kernel is right with the hardware. Their git may have more patches or different kernel config, no idea since I don't know what they changed. Since Armbian is more popular than mine so their kernel must be more customized and patched for many inputs. If the kernel from mine does not have a stability or performance issue, it would be more like the kernel config issue.
Well, I am convinced that your kernel is better for the hardware, being specifically created and patched for the n2. And it does indeed do wonderful! But I was also thinking about the visual glitching thing. Which doesn't seem to happen with the Armbian kernel, so, freely associating on that further, I was thinking perhaps that would be a way to get wayland going (without glitching) and without taking a whole lot of time for debugging. Both distro's being debian/ubuntu based. And not least of which it might be a nice test-case to see if the glitching comes with the DKMS stuff. (Which I think isn't, but still.) Then I was thinking how difficult would that be as a nice test route... I'm guessing it isn't that easy to do a kernel transplant :)

Sav

Post by Sav » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:16 pm

This is an example of how fragmented the kernel development is on arm based SBC.
I'd like to see an unified platform on which developers (as tobetter, elatllat, chewitt, balbes150, and so on) can share their work.
For instance, the LibreElec team (which share some members with Armbian) is a step forward on the multimedia kernel components, but as far as I know there are no shared patches to the mainline kernel.
I believe that a more shared knowledge could bring a mature 5.4 kernel and create the basis for the 5.7 version, which could be a really step forward in the SBC world.
Or maybe I could be totally wrong.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Sav wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:16 pm
This is an example of how fragmented the kernel development is on arm based SBC.
I'd like to see an unified platform on which developers (as tobetter, elatllat, chewitt, balbes150, and so on) can share their work.
For instance, the LibreElec team (which share some members with Armbian) is a step forward on the multimedia kernel components, but as far as I know there are no shared patches to the mainline kernel.
I believe that a more shared knowledge could bring a mature 5.4 kernel and create the basis for the 5.7 version, which could be a really step forward in the SBC world.
Or maybe I could be totally wrong.
Well, there are guidelines for packaging kernels in the ubuntu/debian sphere. So, that was why I was thinking that switching kernels might be a possibility for testing purposes.
There is some conformity / standards there, given how ubuntu packages kernels.

But other than that, a shared git/github with a shared source tree for the N2, where all send their patches.
Ideally that would be mainline, but I'm guessing that route isn't easy.
But then: Balbes wants Armbian, so he has his thing where N2 is only a small part.
Then LibreElec has their whole environment and specializes in multimedia...
Ideally that could all come together indeed!
There could be a shared git/github, around Hardkernel perhaps?
Where LibreElec, Balbes, etc, could do kernel config parameters on top of that.
And where all the patches are gathered in a shared kernel source.
Would be nice!

The place where everything should come together, however, would probably be the mainline...
That's probably the place to be, even though, the threshold and turnaround time might be a little high.

odroidn2user

Post by odroidn2user » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:10 pm

Ubuntu has some process running that automatically installs new packages from ubuntu repos.
So, the gnome extensions configuration panel problem, now solved itself, basically.
Changing the configuration of extensions now works again.
Nice.

Also a fresh kernel from tobetter. Nice!
I did find after the reboot that the Wayland ubuntu session was missing at login time.
An 'apt-get install --reinstall' of the mali wayland packages solved that issue.
That said, the audio over hdmi patch seems to have disappeared with 5.4.30.

And calibre doesn't work either, is apparently a QT app.
ImportError: cannot import name 'QApplication' from 'PyQt5.Qt' (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/Qt.cpython-38-aarch64-linux-gnu.so)
Atril works for opening e-books! That one works. Many thanks to the Mate desktop. :)
(Note to self: check out foliate as ereader.)

Really can't wait to start using this for normal productivity works. It really is so close now! :D
These users thanked the author odroidn2user for the post:
odroid (Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:54 am)

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:03 am

I've uploaded a video clip that runs Ubuntu 20.04 with Wayland Mali driver and the Firefox can run WebGL at max 20fps with "MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1"

EDIT: I am working on the new Mali kernel driver for the screen glitch issue and it looks like a bit optimistic. I will push the package once I've done a bit more testing of its stability.
Last edited by tobetter on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 7):
Payano (Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:11 am) • Sav (Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:56 am) • m8kbv (Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:23 am) • odroidn2user (Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:42 pm) • istanbulls (Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 pm) • odroid (Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:39 am) • jgmdev (Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:56 pm)

Payano
ODROIDs: XU4
N2

Post by Payano » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:05 pm

Nice work Tobetter!
Do we know why firefox is not using hardware acceleration?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Payano wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:05 pm
Nice work Tobetter!
Do we know why firefox is not using hardware acceleration?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
After launching the firefox with "MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1" do faster rendering up to 20fps in my test, while 2~3fps with the option. I've no luck to run WebGL with Chromium on 20.04 yet.

EDIT: In order to apply 'MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1', I've changed '/usr/bin/firefox' like this.

Code: Select all

diff -urN a/firefox b/firefox
--- a/firefox   2020-04-14 10:34:55.798619785 -0400
+++ b/firefox   2020-04-14 10:34:16.752045910 -0400
@@ -17,6 +17,7 @@
 MOZ_APP_NAME=firefox

export MOZ_APP_LAUNCHER
+export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1

while [ ! -x $MOZ_LIBDIR/$MOZ_APP_NAME ] ; do
     if [ -L "$MOZ_APP_LAUNCHER" ] ; then
EDIT: I've run the Firefox with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1, it only works with Firefox v75 in Ubuntu 20.04 while Ubuntu 19.04 has Firefox v72.

jgmdev
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, N2, C4

Post by jgmdev » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:56 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:03 am
EDIT: I am working on the new Mali kernel driver for the screen glitch issue and it looks like a bit optimistic. I will push the package once I've done a bit more testing of its stability.
Will the kernel driver work with kernels greater than 5.4? Also where is the mali kernel driver sources been developed?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:10 pm

jgmdev wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:56 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:03 am
Will the kernel driver work with kernels greater than 5.4? Also where is the mali kernel driver sources been developed?
I have another kernel branch 5.6 preparing and adding commits from 5.4. Basically, the kernel itself will work but the current my OS setup won't build the Mali driver using DKMS for 5.6 kernels that I have to fix sometime later. The Mali kernel driver is downloaded from ARM GPU download page and some patches from Neal Armstrong's git branch and mine are been added on top of it. The package 'mali-bifrost-dkms' itself is the driver source for ODROID-N2.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
Payano (Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:17 pm) • jgmdev (Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:14 pm)

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi!
After fresh instasll the system Ubuntu 20.04, the download option pops up in additional drivers: after updating the system to version 20.04, the download option pops up in additional drivers:
"the wayland userspace binary driver for mali gpu g31 / g52 with mali-bifrost-wayland-driver". Are the drivers already? Are these the ones tobetter writes about above? :):-)

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:57 am

m8kbv wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:17 pm
Hi!
After fresh instasll the system Ubuntu 20.04, the download option pops up in additional drivers: after updating the system to version 20.04, the download option pops up in additional drivers:
"the wayland userspace binary driver for mali gpu g31 / g52 with mali-bifrost-wayland-driver". Are the drivers already? Are these the ones tobetter writes about above? :):-)
The driver is from my server, I've made a small fix in order to pop up the driver to install instead of using 'apt install'. Does the option work for you?

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:36 pm

can be installed from the "additional drivers" level but I found some annoying errors:
the system does not see the internet when connected to an ethernet although this is the case when there is a library update (sudo apt-get update) there is information about the lack of internet. using the downloaded graphics driver I had to connect the wifi card to download the driver (there was a message about the lack of internet).
wifi card after disconnecting from the usb port is no longer visible through the system.
the system works smoothly but sometimes there are still artifacts.
unable to download kde plasma From tasksel (after entering the command I get an error or nothing happens)

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:02 pm

If you encounter that GNOME-TERMINAL fails to start after upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04, please try to add LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" to /etc/default/locale and reboot. This will fix the problem.

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:09 pm

How to add? Its only read permission.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:17 pm

m8kbv wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:09 pm
How to add? Its only read permission.
You can open it using sudo vi /etc/default/locale.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
m8kbv (Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:28 pm)

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Sudo gedit /etc/default/locate included to edit the file:)
updates are already working for me. Can you fix the problem with tasksel?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:48 pm

m8kbv wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:30 pm
Sudo gedit /etc/default/locate included to edit the file:)
updates are already working for me. Can you fix the problem with tasksel?
I realize the tasksel crashes when installing Kubuntu, but IMO it's not worth to try/install Kubuntu if you are expecting GPU accelerated Plasma KDE. I've shared the issue in the link.
viewtopic.php?f=179&t=35218&p=288864&hi ... ro#p288657

blondu
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2

Post by blondu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:16 am

Hi I installed Ubuntu 20.04 with Wayland it works very well, but it doesn't see the Apple Magic trackpad just like a normal mouse and I don't know how to configure it. I will try to put a print screen with available settings. Image

Thank you.
I mention that we could not install VLC and other players
I also tried a Khadas VTV DVB tuner but it is not detected, I mention that in CoreELEC it works perfectly.
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/odroid ... uners/5014 Maybe you can't configure your driver because there is also the TVHeadend server and it could work perfectly with tuner and video with hardware decoding.
Thousands of thanks and more to the job.
Last edited by blondu on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author blondu for the post:
tobetter (Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 am)

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:31 am

do you connect via bluetooth? sees you bluetooth options? for me I cannot run the bluetooth option both before and after downloading the driver.

blondu

Post by blondu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:37 am

It works perfectly with bluetooth keyboard and trackpad just seeing it as a normal mouse

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:47 am

what is your bluetooth worked immediately after connecting or did you upload drivers?

blondu

Post by blondu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:04 am

I didn't load drivers and it works when connecting to the usb port, I mention that it works in any linux I installed and in mac os.
As reported:
Vendor = 0a12 ProdID = 0001 Rev = 31.64,
Manufacturer = Sweex
Product = BT203 Bluetooth Micro Adapter Class II

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Post by m8kbv » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:13 am

if I can run bluetooth I will check if my apple magic trackpad and keyboard work.

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:15 am

blondu wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:04 am
I didn't load drivers and it works when connecting to the usb port, I mention that it works in any linux I installed and in mac os.
As reported:
Vendor = 0a12 ProdID = 0001 Rev = 31.64,
Manufacturer = Sweex
Product = BT203 Bluetooth Micro Adapter Class II
Can you please share the kernel config of your Linux machine that runs Apple Magic Trackpad? I believe you can get the config using the command zcat /proc/config.gz on your desktop. I am not sure if it's kernel issue yet.

blondu

Post by blondu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:13 am

It ran correctly in the previous version 19.04, now it is detected as a mouse.
I unpacked what to look for, please?

blondu

Post by blondu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:16 am

CONFIG_MOUSE_APPLETOUCH is not set

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:41 am

blondu wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:16 am
CONFIG_MOUSE_APPLETOUCH is not set
Thanks, I've added the config as a kernel module and pushed it to my build firm. Usually, the kernel builds and uploading to the package server will be completed in 4-5 hours. So...please try the command apt update later. Crossfinger
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
blondu (Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:51 am) • rooted (Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:32 am)

blondu

Post by blondu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:45 am

OK thanks.

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 am

So I'm trying to port @tobetter work and make these stuff work under ArchLinux. Created 4 packages here: https://github.com/jgmdev/archlinux-odroid-n2

One for the 5.4 kernel branch from https://github.com/hardkernel/linux which is the version required by the mali-bifrost-dkms package.

The other 3 packages are just repackaging tobetter ubuntu packages for linux with some changes to make them work under archlinux:

mali-bifrost-dkms:
* added udev rule for /dev/mali0, setting its permissions to 777 and group to video
* added module loading conf on /etc/modules-load.conf

mali-bifrost-fbdev-driver:
* installs symlinks on /usr/lib/mesa-egl and libMali.so to /usr/lib/ (in order to try make it work with fbturbo).
* Use /etc/ld.so.conf.d conf file to overwrite system default libs with symlinks from /usr/lib/mesa-egl

mali-bifrost-wayland-driver:
* includes libgbm1 and libgbm-compat
* as in ubuntu package use ld.so.preload to always load libgbm-compat and libmali
* stores all libs and symlinks inside /usr/lib/mesa-egl
* uses /etc/ld.so.conf.d conf the same way as mali-bifrost-fbdev-driver

Results:
weston-launch seems to run with acceleration, fade animations are smoother, rendering is more responsive.

sway also runs with acceleration but, trying to run x applications crashes it, meanwhile the slower drm driver of 5.6 kernel loads xwayland applications just fine but performance is really bad since mali binary blobs aren't been used...

So my question is, does the ubuntu gnome install is able to run X applications with Xwayland?, that seems to be all that I'm missing to make this thing work. Here is a screen shot of what I get from sway first time I launch it:

Sway works works well until I try to launch X applications causing a crash. Is something else I need to do to make these stuff work?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 pm

I can run traditional X11 apps on Ubuntu 20.04, xconsole is not working properly but it's a different issue.
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 23-18-46.png
Screenshot from 2020-04-22 23-18-46.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 2519 times
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
jgmdev (Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:38 pm)

jgmdev

Post by jgmdev » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Discovered that I can also run X applications under weston after enabling Xwayland on weston.ini. It seems that sway and wayfire (other compositor I tested) are doing some strange stuff that doesn't let them work under the mali drivers properly...

Some screenshot running weston with mali binary drivers under archlinux :)

Question:
It is normal for gray/white colors on kernel 5.4 to look reddish?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:19 pm

jgmdev wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Discovered that I can also run X applications under weston after enabling Xwayland on weston.ini. It seems that sway and wayfire (other compositor I tested) are doing some strange stuff that doesn't let them work under the mali drivers properly...

Some screenshot running weston with mali binary drivers under archlinux :)
Question:
It is normal for gray/white colors on kernel 5.4 to look reddish?
Congratulation!!
Cannot believe it's Weston...pretty...it looks a bit reddish on 5.4 kernel than 4.9, looks like need a colour tuning...:(

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) Netboot Installer is ready to download...

Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) Netboot Installer for ODROID-N2
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 3):
Payano (Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pm) • odroidn2user (Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:55 pm) • Sav (Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:00 pm)

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2, C4

Post by elatllat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:47 am

@tobetter What's the youtube experience (vs the C4)?

tobetter

Post by tobetter » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:57 am

elatllat wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:47 am
@tobetter What's the youtube experience (vs the C4)?
You can use the minimal image if you are meaning to install Ubuntu Desktop to ODROID-N2 like the installation video for ODROID-C4.
viewtopic.php?f=176&t=33993&p=289444&hi ... ne#p289444

Return to “Projects”