Do I need the USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer?

odroid_newuser
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Do I need the USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer?

Post by odroid_newuser » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi, I am considering the XU4, N2 and H2 running Ubuntu Linux. If I buy the eMMC Module Reader, do I need to buy the USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer? Is it recommended?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Re: Do I need the USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer?

Post by meveric » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:46 am

It's a fast and easy way to access the eMMC.
You can also get an eMMC to microSD adapter instead and read the eMMC like an SD card.
Both are similarly fast if your SD card slot/adapter is also powered via USB 3.0.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid_newuser (Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

odroid_newuser

Post by odroid_newuser » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 am

Thanks. I am a bit confused. So either eMMC Module Reader + SD Card Reader or USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer will be sufficient? Could you please clarify?

odroid_newuser

Post by odroid_newuser » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:40 am

Besides normal use and for development, I also have another use case. That is, once I have received an eMMC, I want to make a backup of it in another type of storage in case the system is corrupted later so that I can recover the eMMC in its original stage. In this case, do I need eMMC Module Reader + SD Card Reader or USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am

odroid_newuser wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 am
Thanks. I am a bit confused. So either eMMC Module Reader + SD Card Reader or USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer will be sufficient? Could you please clarify?
There are two different devices
a eMMC to microSD Adapter: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/emmc-mo ... s-upgrade/
and an eMMC to USB Adapter: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/usb3-0- ... le-writer/

both do the same, one you can plug directly into your USB port, the other is an adapter for an microSD card slot.
So if you have a microSD card reader, you can use that one instead of the USB version.

The USB version is generally easier to use, but both work essentially the same in a way that they allow you to copy data from or to an eMMC on another device.
(for example for backups)
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid_newuser (Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am

The eMMC Module Writer's access speed is 2-3 times faster than a normal USB 3.0 card reader i.e. Transcend TS-RDF5K.
If you don't care the transfer speed, eMMC Module SD adapter + a card reader must be enough.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
odroid_newuser (Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 am)

odroid_newuser

Post by odroid_newuser » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 am

-----
Last edited by odroid_newuser on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

odroid_newuser

Post by odroid_newuser » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am

odroid wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am
The eMMC Module Writer's access speed is 2-3 times faster than a normal USB 3.0 card reader i.e. Transcend TS-RDF5K.
If you don't care the transfer speed, eMMC Module SD adapter + a card reader must be enough.
Do we need to flash often? If not, then easier to use is more important for me.

meveric

Post by meveric » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am

odroid wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am
If you don't care the transfer speed, eMMC Module SD adapter + a card reader must be identical.
This really depends on the SD card reader.
I have a SD card slot in my laptop and use a microSD to SD card adapter (you know the one that many say does not work), I get full speed of the device.
I already copied from and to an SD card with over 100MB/sec, same with eMMC module, I have some that I could read with this method with 150MB/sec.
It really depends on what kind of card reader you have.

meveric

Post by meveric » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:55 am

odroid_newuser wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am
Flashing SD/eMMC cards is rarely used. You normally only use it when you test out a new system, but once you decided on it you normally stay on it, or maybe do a backup every now and then.

I as a image developer do flash quite often, 90% of the time I use eMMC to microSD adapter, mostly cause I have like 10 of them and find them rather quickly where I normally have to search for my eMMC to USB adapter.
For me it doesn't make a difference speed wise, but as I said, the USB to eMMC adapter is normally easier to use. No fiddling with microSD to SD adapters or finding and SD card reader if you don't have one on your PC/Laptop.

odroid_newuser

Post by odroid_newuser » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:58 am

meveric wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:55 am
odroid_newuser wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am
Flashing SD/eMMC cards is rarely used. You normally only use it when you test out a new system, but once you decided on it you normally stay on it, or maybe do a backup every now and then.

I as a image developer do flash quite often, 90% of the time I use eMMC to microSD adapter, mostly cause I have like 10 of them and find them rather quickly where I normally have to search for my eMMC to USB adapter.
For me it doesn't make a difference speed wise, but as I said, the USB to eMMC adapter is normally easier to use. No fiddling with microSD to SD adapters or finding and SD card reader if you don't have one on your PC/Laptop.
Thanks. There is a confusion perhaps due to a typo or out-of-date information. Perhaps I read it wrong. On the eMMC to misroSD Adapter product site, it states that "This is the only way that you can upgrade your OS in the eMMC. " So, it is not the only way as the eMMC to USB Adapter can also do this and as you mentioned and easier to use?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:12 am

I've updated the product description to minimize the misunderstanding.
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/emmc-mo ... s-upgrade/

Return to “General Topics”