Help setting up 256gb sandisk card?

drpsicoloco
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0

Help setting up 256gb sandisk card?

Unread post by drpsicoloco » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 am

Hi all,

I hope you're all doing well. My 4.5 y.o. daughter and I had a lot of fun building our odroid go advance. She was more nervous than I was. I've been able to figure out almost everything but just ran into one issue with the memory card showing only at about 16gbs. I imagine this is because the original memory card that I flashed onto the larger one was 16gbs.

So, I flashed the retroarch OS using etcher on a Mac onto a 256gb memory card (from here viewtopic.php?f=193&t=37281). I then loaded the memory card using https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/ on my mac. It shows as a 16gb card with 14gbs of free space. Any ideas on how I can change the size? I'm using an official Sandisk 256gb memory card from BHPhoto.com. Any ideas?

drpsicoloco

Re: Help setting up 256gb sandisk card?

Unread post by drpsicoloco » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:08 am

I was able to solve my own issue. I was able to resize the 15.8gb partition using Hard Disk Manager by Paragon (same company in 2nd link I posted).
These users thanked the author drpsicoloco for the post:
odroid (Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:34 am)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum, glad you got the issue worked out. What a good dad you are to spend time building the OGA with your child and sharing some retro gaming with them

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:44 pm

You know, I'd like to do the same with my kids, but my wife won't let me because she thinks the kids have more than enough screen time already... :(

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Have you explained it to her? It's something that you enjoy and would like to share that joy with your child/children. Any reasonable person would surely understand...right

I shared my love for retro gaming with my children, I set them up with an original modded Xbox with a ton of emulation goodness way back when that was a thing. While I lost one of my sons recently it was something he enjoyed all his life, he even had me purchase a PS Vita for him while he was hospitalized so he could do some light gaming when he felt up to it. My other son does spend way too much time PC gaming in my opinion but it's what he enjoys after a long day at work, my daughter had a Nintendo DS when she was younger but didn't really play it much. I do understand your wife's concern, moderation is a good thing.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:44 pm

I think we're trying to give them a similar childhood that we experienced - growing up in the 80's, behind the iron courtain, with only 30 minutes of cartoons per week. It's tough in today's world, but it gave us more freedom to play (with our hands/imagination) back then. Playing a game is fun, but for the most part you're following the game designer's choices, not imagining yourself. Not to mention today's 8 year olds want to play GTA5, which is 10 years too soon...
Although I was playing Doom and Carmageddon while listening to Christmas carols when I was 14, I think I was more mature and the graphics were less explicit... And I turned out fine (ignore my nickname)...

But hey, they grow older and the iron courtain is slowly rising... :D

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:18 pm

mad_ady wrote:Playing a game is fun, but for the most part you're following the game designer's choices, not imagining yourself.
Unless you're creating with Dreams for PS4, if you haven't seen it you should check it out.

drpsicoloco

Unread post by drpsicoloco » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Ha ha, my wife was okay with her building the system (after quarantining the system for 2 weeks...). She's 4.5 so we do limit her screen time. At first we tried The Little Mermaid on GBA and NES (the GBA game is so bad!). She got bored quickly. She ended up loving Street fighter Alpah 3 on PSP! She was so excited to win each time. She yelled to announce "dad I won!"

Also thanks all for not pointing out my mistake. I made it so complicated. If I had read the directions I would have known it would expand the partition on first boot.. I guess I had to live up to the dad stereotype.

drpsicoloco

Unread post by drpsicoloco » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:34 pm

drpsicoloco wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 am
Hi all,

I hope you're all doing well. My 4.5 y.o. daughter and I had a lot of fun building our odroid go advance. She was more nervous than I was. I've been able to figure out almost everything but just ran into one issue with the memory card showing only at about 16gbs. I imagine this is because the original memory card that I flashed onto the larger one was 16gbs.

So, I flashed the retroarch OS using etcher on a Mac onto a 256gb memory card (from here viewtopic.php?f=193&t=37281). I then loaded the memory card using https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/ on my mac. It shows as a 16gb card with 14gbs of free space. Any ideas on how I can change the size? I'm using an official Sandisk 256gb memory card from BHPhoto.com. Any ideas?
**EDIT** I figured out the real solution. Just put the memory card in your system and it'll expand the partition when you boot it up for the first time.

Return to “Issues”