languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: In order of appearance:

2 x Odroid Go, Odroid-N2, Odroid-HC2, [Odroid Go Advance (soon)]
Been thanked: 0

Hello all from Münster, Germany

Post by datatrash » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:45 am

Hello everyone,

I'm Christian from Münster, Germany.

I have been on this forum for quite some time now but have until now only read what others did with their Odroids and gathered inspiration.

My first Odroid was an Odroid Go. Just because I loved the product from first seeing it.
Although the Go has some real downsides or maybe just annoyances - that as I would guess all come due to production cost/retail price considerations - by now I got a second one.

And as I'm writing I not only have two Gos but the family got even bigger.

With an Odroid-N2 as a Media Center/Retro Gaming Station at the moment running CoreElec and Batocera but not yet done.
And an Odroid-HC2 running Open Media Vault as a NAS.

Desperately waiting for the Odroid Go Advance to be available in Germany again.
So I guess by now I'm seriously hooked.

Right now I'm preparing my two Odroid Gos with identical 32gb mSDs to check multiplayer capabilities for a road trip short ahead.
In the future both will get their screen's backs sealed to reduce light emission. Also I plan a headphone jack and maybe volume control if it fits. Changing the screen to an OLED would also be awesome but I don't know whether that's possible yet for I am what is called a complete noob.

I have no prior experience in diving deeper into the workings of computer hardware or in coding for that matter. But have already learned a lot about these things from my Odroids. And that even extends to better understanding Linux. So - really - thanks for that!

The N2 will also get some more work in the near future.
I plan to make it my allround Media Center with Kodi with DVB-T2/C, DAB+, NAS connection and online resources. Plus definitely retro gaming, although I still have to pick my favourite system there. Also I have yet to decide for or against a third boot option with Android/Lineage OS for gaming. And there will definitely be a spare mSD with a Linux system just because.
I have a slight fear that my intended setup with four gamepads, keyboard and trackpad, SSD, DVB/DAB tuner, perhaps bluetooth and wifi (I have no clue until now whether or not that's possible but I would like to implement those through an ESP over the GPIOs, but have to go USB if that's not possible) could overcharge the USB lane but I guess if so it will just be a bit more work to figure out a way to make it work.
In the end when all is configured nicely I will laser a case for it from plywood. Or acrylic glass. Yet another decision to be made.

The HC2 was the least work until now. I just set it up and it runs happily. Although I have read of some Samba vulnerability and wonder if and how I can resolve that issue for my N2. Just to learn and get it right..

And as I said I'm still waiting for the Go Advance.

So, that was quite some text.. Think I just had to share my fascination for these packed little monsters.

Hope everyone is having a great time!

Greetings from Münster, Germany,

Christian

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hello all from Münster, Germany

Post by rooted » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Hello Christian, nice to meet you. As far as the samba vulnerability goes it should be handled via an apt update soon, I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed yet.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
datatrash (Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:52 pm)

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:29 am

For hooking up a lot of usb devices it's best to use a powered usb hub. Also keep low speed devices (bt, serial, mouse, keyboard) separate from high speed ones and hook them via usb otg.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
datatrash (Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:52 pm)

datatrash
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: In order of appearance:

2 x Odroid Go, Odroid-N2, Odroid-HC2, [Odroid Go Advance (soon)]
Been thanked: 0

Post by datatrash » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Thank you both for your answers! :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”