Unread post by Nemo1984 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 am

Worms does'nt work anymore.

jafox
languages_spoken: english Spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO
Been thanked: 0

Re: Retro-Go: Yet another emulator launcher

Unread post by jafox » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Metal Gear works and I can finally pass the elevator. Thank you very much for your effort.

I want to report a bug that affects the sprites of the koopa, piranha plant and the flags look black in the game super mario bros deluxe of gbc also the fire flower fire has bad colors.

DocStatic
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by DocStatic » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:02 pm

I'd like to report a bug I only seem to have (weird).
Everytime I plug my odroid go to charge it breaks the menu and I have to flash another firmware image, run a game, then reflash Retro-Go for the menu to work again.

ducalex
languages_spoken: english, french

Unread post by ducalex » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 am

I've released a new beta build (2020-02-29-beta) with all the issues reported so far fixed (Thanks for the save concreted). It's attached to the top post.

Note: I've deleted the test builds from the past week to avoid confusing newcomers.

DocStatic wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:02 pm
I'd like to report a bug I only seem to have (weird).
Everytime I plug my odroid go to charge it breaks the menu and I have to flash another firmware image, run a game, then reflash Retro-Go for the menu to work again.
I've tried to replicate with both crashoverride's firmware (the official one) and my multi-firmware but I can't get it to break like you're describing.
Maybe you could try using my multi-firmware and see if the issue persists?
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post (total 3):
jafox (Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:26 am) • concreted (Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:33 am) • odroid (Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:42 am)

Nemo1984
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:57 am

I have done some quick tests and haven't found any bugs yet. Great job!

concreted

Unread post by concreted » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Also looking good on my end, haven't noticed any new issues :) Shantae is also not flickering oddly any more, it's back to the static rendering from 2-23.

I just remembered an issue I've seen since the first firmware with NES Felix the Cat, where after loading any save the graphics are corrupted - the HUD glitches and keeps sliding down the screen repeatedly, covering up the gameplay. I attached a save if you want to look into this!
Attachments
Felix the Cat (U).nes.sav.zip
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

DocStatic

Unread post by DocStatic » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:53 pm

ducalex wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 am
I've tried to replicate with both crashoverride's firmware (the official one) and my multi-firmware but I can't get it to break like you're describing.
Tried flashing your multi-firmware but it still breaks, I'm even using the latest beta build and all, while I'm having the console plugged in a charger at least.
Here's the odd bit: rebooting the device after unplugging it still breaks the UI unless I enter the multiboot menu and start it from here.
I guess it's still a fix?

EDIT: seems like now it only breaks when the device is plugged to a charger, and it starts working fine again after I unplug it

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:52 pm

DocStatic wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:53 pm
ducalex wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 am
Tried flashing your multi-firmware but it still breaks, I'm even using the latest beta build and all, while I'm having the console plugged in a charger at least.
Here's the odd bit: rebooting the device after unplugging it still breaks the UI unless I enter the multiboot menu and start it from here.
I guess it's still a fix?

EDIT: seems like now it only breaks when the device is plugged to a charger, and it starts working fine again after I unplug it
I have not noticed this bug at all. How exactly does it happen?

DocStatic

Unread post by DocStatic » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:27 am

Basically the menu pops up, but none of the roms appear. No matter what button you press, the system doesn't react, it's like it crashed.
When I plug the system while the working menu is up: it freezes completely

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:51 am

I have a test build ready with display filtering working on all emulators/scaling combinations. It reduces shimmering significantly at the cost of some blurriness (it is very similar to the original Go Play GB filter). This is merely a preview; It still has some issues and I'm still considering multiple filter modes, but it's far enough to gather feedback :)

@concreted
I'll have a look at Felix. Can you confirm if it worked correctly on Triforce (or others) ?

DocStatic wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:27 am
Basically the menu pops up, but none of the roms appear. No matter what button you press, the system doesn't react, it's like it crashed.
At least with the multi-firmware you won't have to reflash it, just reboot. But none of that happens with Triforce or Go-Play or other firmwares?
Attachments
retro-go-filter.zip
(946.83 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
concreted (Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 am) • jafox (Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:51 am) • Nemo1984 (Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:22 am)

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:31 am

DocStatic wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:27 am
I am unable to recreate this bug. Everything works fine on my end.

concreted

Unread post by concreted » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:10 am

ducalex wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:51 am
@concreted
I'll have a look at Felix. Can you confirm if it worked correctly on Triforce (or others) ?
I should have been more specific, it has had the same behavior since the original Go-Play firmware by othercrashoverride when the hardware first shipped. It has been the same in every other emulator version I've tried (Triforce, Super Go-Play, Retro ESP32).

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:46 am

I really like the filtering! It might be just me or does the nes take a slight performance hit with the filtering on? I'm unclear on that, so I'll leave it on.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:54 am

concreted wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:10 am
I should have been more specific, it has had the same behavior since the original Go-Play firmware by othercrashoverride when the hardware first shipped. It has been the same in every other emulator version I've tried (Triforce, Super Go-Play, Retro ESP32).
Thanks, I remember having similar issues with Asterix on the NES. I'll look into all this once I'm done with filtering.

Nemo1984 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:46 am
I really like the filtering! It might be just me or does the nes take a slight performance hit with the filtering on? I'm unclear on that, so I'll leave it on.
Partial updates are disabled when filtering is enabled. This is one (of many) pending issues and it's probably what you are noticing!
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post:
Nemo1984 (Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:21 am)

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 am

ducalex wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:54 am
Nemo1984 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:46 am
Partial updates are disabled when filtering is enabled. This is one (of many) pending issues and it's probably what you are noticing!
That must be it. It just caught my eye.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 am

Nemo1984 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 am
If you're curious here's a build with filter + partial updates support so far. You'll notice random glitches but performance should be the same with or without the filter. If it isn't then let me know the game and how to reproduce, it's probably unrelated!
Attachments
retro-go-filter-partial.zip
(949.83 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post (total 2):
jafox (Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:01 pm) • concreted (Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:40 am)

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:04 am

ducalex wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 am
Nemo1984 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 am
If you're curious here's a build with filter + partial updates support so far. You'll notice random glitches but performance should be the same with or without the filter. If it isn't then let me know the game and how to reproduce, it's probably unrelated!
Yup, that was it.

concreted

Unread post by concreted » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:43 am

Seeing a strange issue with the filter+partial build where the menu freezes on switching to the Game Boy Color ROM list. Let me know if there's any info I can provide to help track this down. Otherwise the filtering performance is great with partial updates enabled, haven't seen any issues yet except the random graphical artifacts you mentioned.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:22 am

Sorry guys, the next stable release is still a while away but in the meantime here's a (still glitchy) build with partial+filter that is hopefully playable.
It also lets you choose filtering mode horizontal/vertical/both, which is nice for Game Boy and Game Gear because they have a perfect 2x horizontal scale (when scaling: full) so a vertical filter may be enough and is much less blurry.

Edit: I'm also attaching a build that seems to fix Felix the cat (also includes the filters). It almost certainly has side-effects in other games, so only use it if you want to help me test and narrow down the issue!
Attachments
retro-go-partial-filter3.zip
(947.29 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
retro-go-felix.zip
(947.26 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by ducalex on Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
jafox (Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:52 am) • concreted (Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:36 pm) • myownregister (Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:11 am)

concreted

Unread post by concreted » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Tested the retro-go-felix build and the save reload glitch is fixed! The HUD bobs up and down strangely when there is a horizontal scrolling though, it's visible in the save I provided if you fly onto the "bag" and press down -> start flying left and right in the main stage area.

I haven't noticed any major issues caused by the Felix fix on other games, but I am getting crashes on save load for Final Fantasy 3, Megaman 2, and Metroid (new game works), and crash when attempting save on Megaman 4. It's been a while since I tried NES so I tried some of the last few firmwares and saw the same issue, it looks like the last version that fully works with all these is 2-19.

Another game that's always crashed on load for me on all firmwares (including Go-Play) is Cheetah Men 2.

Also, I only see the GBC ROM list menu freeze if I use Large menu font. Weirdly, I also see it freeze sometimes on quitting certain games even if Small menu font is used (Prince of Persia, Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon TCG). The difference seems related to the album art, I notice when it freezes on quit it has "CRC32" showing in upper right. Whereas when it doesn't freeze it shows "No album art" (I don't have any on my SD card).

Toggling large->small menu font also shows a graphical glitch where the large font menu still shows beneath the small font menu - this is present as far back as 2-19.

Thanks for the recent builds! Vertical filter looks amazing on GBC and GG.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:50 pm

concreted wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:47 pm
Tested the retro-go-felix build and the save reload glitch is fixed! The HUD bobs up and down strangely when there is a horizontal scrolling though, it's visible in the save I provided if you fly onto the "bag" and press down -> start flying left and right in the main stage area.
My bad, I attached the wrong build. I updated my previous post, can you test again?

concreted wrote:
but I am getting crashes on save load for Final Fantasy 3, Megaman 2, and Metroid (new game works), and crash when attempting save on Megaman 4. It's been a while since I tried NES so I tried some of the last few firmwares and saw the same issue, it looks like the last version that fully works with all these is 2-19.
That's already fixed in the next release but I've now added the fix to both builds in my previous post as well.

concreted wrote:
Also, I only see the GBC ROM list menu freeze if I use Large menu font. Weirdly, I also see it freeze sometimes on quitting certain games even if Small menu font is used (Prince of Persia, Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon TCG). The difference seems related to the album art, I notice when it freezes on quit it has "CRC32" showing in upper right. Whereas when it doesn't freeze it shows "No album art" (I don't have any on my SD card).
I'm unable to replicate the freeze but if you don't use art you can try Options -> Show cover: No maybe it will help. If it doesn't work then I can add debug messages so we can track down the issue together.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:51 am

Horizontal filtering is giving me this.
Attachments
20200307_144216.jpg
20200307_144216.jpg (285.83 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

lordhardware
ODROIDs: U3
Odroid-W

Unread post by lordhardware » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:54 am

Thank you very much for your continued improvements :)

Testing the partial-filter3 build today and will get back to you!

lordhardware
Odroid-W

Unread post by lordhardware » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:50 am

Heck yes, you've done a fantastic job.

Mario Tennis GBC is now very comfortable to play with vertical scaling on.

Both scaling makes Road Rash on the SMS feel REALLY smooth.

Also not sure what or when this change occured but I can now play Owlia which was completely unplayable before.

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:55 pm

After a few test, it seems the NES emulator does work with horizontal and both filtering. Everything else is giving me bugs with horizontal and both filters.

myownregister

Unread post by myownregister » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:10 am

Awesome, simply awesome release. Loving everything from the feature set, menu implementation/function, to how intuitive the UI is. The new filters work really nice too. Thank you @ducalex!

On a different note, I haven't been able to make a couple of NES games run at all in any of the Odroid Go firmware releases. Specifically, "Tetris 2 + Bombliss" and "Castlevania III Dracula's Curse". Even tried different rom sources/versions, but all launch to a blank screen. Any chance of getting these to run on Retro-Go?

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:43 am

A new release (2020-03-10) is available. Let me know if you find any bugs!

Changes since 2020-02-23:
  • New: Bilinear filtering available for all emulators
  • Launcher: Fix SPI conflicts that froze the application
  • NES: Fix crash during save/load in some games
  • GBC: Fixed Worms Armageddon
  • GBC: Fixed Metal Gear Solid
  • NES: Fixed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle III
  • NES: Fixed Felix the Cat
  • NES: Fixed Tetris 2 + Bombliss
  • Misc bug fixes
The NES games fix is a hack enabled when it detects specific ROMs' checksum (for now, because it's unclear if the fix breaks any other games). Let me know if your ROM of these games doesn't work and I'll see if I missed a variant.

Note: There is a very specific situation where filtering in GB/GBC can cause transient blurriness around a vertically moving object. This is a trade-off for performance and not a bug. Any persistent or disturbing glitch is a bug however.

Thanks to all for testing the past few test builds :)

Edit: This is a resubmit of 2020-03-10 because I hadn't merged the fix for occasional launcher freeze.

myownregister wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:10 am
"Tetris 2 + Bombliss" and "Castlevania III Dracula's Curse".
I fixed Tetris 2 + Bombliss (at least it starts, haven't tested much). Will look into Castlevania!
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post (total 8):
Nemo1984 (Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:54 am) • lordhardware (Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:40 am) • jafox (Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:22 am) • alektronic (Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:36 am) • odroid (Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am) • myownregister (Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:04 pm) • deecee (Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:05 am) • concreted (Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 am)

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:51 am

I've tested a few games and so far, this looks pretty much perfect to me. Best emulation ever on Odroid-Go!

Thanks!

EDIT: My bad. Super Mario 3 is broken now... Looks like a game hack getting in the way if I might suggest something.
Attachments
20200310_214843.jpg
20200310_214843.jpg (354.03 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 am

Maybe just a off switch for the hacks if that's the case?

EDIT:That's the opening red certains. Never move, just flicker. No way past it.

myownregister

Unread post by myownregister » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:15 pm

Wow, Tetris 2 + Bombliss works and plays perfectly now! Thank you so much for this release/fix!
The rest of the games on list also work well in my tests. Really enjoying this launcher so much.

With Super Mario 3 being mentioned here by Nemo1984, I also tried it and found that mine also gets stuck on the curtain screen.

lordhardware
Odroid-W

Unread post by lordhardware » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:12 pm

The crashing in menu isn't occurring any more, muuuuch more stable.

GB games seem to handle filtering better now.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:17 am

Nemo1984 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:51 am
EDIT: My bad. Super Mario 3 is broken now... Looks like a game hack getting in the way if I might suggest something.
The hack isn't applied to SMB3 but I "improved" other areas. Since it made emulation more accurate I didn't anticipate issues, I must have overlooked something.
I will look into it today but I'll wait a day or two before making a release in case other issues are found.

I will also add switches to force on/off compatibility hacks, it's a good idea. If anything it could help make more games playable.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback :)
myownregister (Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 am)

concreted

Unread post by concreted » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 am

So far this release has been working great overall, thanks for all your hard work! I don't see any crashes in the UI now.

The only issue I noticed with filtering is in Super Mario Land. With filtering set to "both", on the first level, the floor under Mario is "indented" and wherever he walks the floor stays that way (see the attached screenshot). Can repro by starting a new game.

Unrelated to filtering, I found an issue with "Fushigi no Dungeon - Fuurai no Shiren GB2" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiren_th ... the_Desert) - the cutscene dialogue is not rendered (only shows black background) and the submenus show a vertical stripe pattern on the bottom instead of the text. "Resident Evil Gaiden" also has a rendering glitch in cutscenes where the text is garbled. Attached saves for both games that should show the issues.

Also, when I change filter/scaling settings in Game Gear, they also seem to get applied to SMS (and vice versa). Is is possible to keep those separate? I prefer SMS to be set to "both/scale" and Game Gear to be "vert/full" and have to keep toggling between the two when switching systems.
Attachments
Resident Evil Gaiden (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).gbc.sav.zip
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
IMG_20200311_145236.jpg
IMG_20200311_145236.jpg (754.08 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
Fushigi no Dungeon - Fuurai no Shiren GB2 - Sabaku no Majou (Japan).gbc.sav.zip
(10.46 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by concreted on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

lordhardware
Odroid-W

Unread post by lordhardware » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:53 am

concreted wrote: The only issue I noticed with filtering is in Super Mario Land. ...Mario is "indented"
This is also an issue on Pokemon games with any of the filtering options set, you can see the Pokemon sprite seems to indent the message bar below it.

However this was an issue with the previous filtering releases as well.

concreted

Unread post by concreted » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:51 am

concreted wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 am
Also, when I change filter/scaling settings in Game Gear, they also seem to get applied to SMS (and vice versa). Is is possible to keep those separate? I prefer SMS to be set to "both/scale" and Game Gear to be "vert/full" and have to keep toggling between the two when switching systems.
Actually changing between "full" and "scale" on SMS seems to have no difference, so separating those is not really important :) but it would be nice to separate filtering modes.

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:31 pm

concreted wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 am
That's because they use the same emulator. It's like GB and GBC share the same settings because it's the same emulator.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:30 am

I've fixed SMB3 and The Simpsons and in a separate issue I have fixed Choplifter. I'm working on Castlevania 3 but it will probably take a while, I have to implement the complex MMC5 mapper.

I'll try to improve the filtering today but it seems fairly minor so I won't let that prevent a release tomorrow to at least fix the aforementioned games (broken SMB3 is kind of unacceptable to me :().

@concreted: I took note of the broken games, thanks for the saves. I agree that settings should be per system rather than per emulator.

Thanks for the feedback!
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post (total 2):
myownregister (Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 am) • concreted (Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:42 pm)

jafox

Unread post by jafox » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:08 am

I have tested the new launcher and I really like the filter option. I found the following bugs.
faceball 2000 for gb doesn't work. When you start a new game, it returns you to the title screen.
prehistorik man of gb displays blinking horizontal black bars during the title screen and also before starting a level. but it is playable.

edit: faceball 2000 doesn't work on triforce too.
Last edited by jafox on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 am

I confirm Faceball 2000 reboots.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 am

A new release is available (2020-03-13) with new features and bug fixes!

Changes since 2020-03-10:
  • NES: Color palette support (FirebrandX)
  • NES: Option to disable sprite limit (sprite flicker)
  • NES: Fixed SMB3 (Broken since 2020-03-10)
  • NES: Fixed The Simpsons (Broken since 2020-03-10)
  • NES: Fixed Owlia (Broken since 2020-02-29-exp)
  • NES: Fixed Castlevania III (It's playable but there are issues) (Never worked before)
  • NES: Fixed Choplifter (Never worked before)
  • All: Fixed filter alignment issue (mostly visible in GB)
Download here or attached to top post.

The next release might be at the end of the month (unless serious-ish bugs are found), I'd like to review all the still broken games mentioned so far.

Note: When you report a broken game please tell me if it works on another build or Go-Play/Triforce. A save game isn't required unless the bug is more than a couple minutes into gameplay (or the bug is save-related, of course).

Thanks!
Last edited by ducalex on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post (total 5):
concreted (Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:32 am) • jafox (Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39 am) • Nemo1984 (Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:52 am) • odroid (Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:34 am) • myownregister (Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:23 pm)

concreted

Unread post by concreted » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:37 am

Thanks for the release! Will be testing over next few days.

Confirmed SMB3 works for me. Turning off sprite limit and setting palettes working well too, these are really good additions.
ducalex wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 am
Note: When you report a broken game please tell me if it works on another build or Go-Play/Triforce.
Will do going forward :) If I have time will go back and see if the old emulators work with the games I reported.
edit Checked Go-Play and Super Go-Play. Fushigi no Dungeon GB2 and Resident Evil Gaiden have the same issue reported on both.
These users thanked the author concreted for the post (total 2):
Nemo1984 (Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:52 am) • ducalex (Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:11 pm)

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:09 pm

concreted wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:37 am
Thanks for the release! Will be testing over next few days.

Confirmed SMB3 works for me. Turning off sprite limit and setting palettes working well too, these are really good additions.
ducalex wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 am
Note: When you report a broken game please tell me if it works on another build or Go-Play/Triforce.
Will do going forward :) If I have time will go back and see if the old emulators work with the games I reported.
edit Checked Go-Play and Super Go-Play. Fushigi no Dungeon GB2 and Resident Evil Gaiden have the same issue reported on both.
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the new palettes myself, it makes some games look a lot better in my opinion! Thanks for testing the games, will look into it.

ducalex

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Unread post by ducalex » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:11 pm

I've reviewed the thread and here is what I found:

Broken games:
  • NES: Cheetah Men 2 (Never worked, missing mapper) Update Mar 17: Implemented. Awful game though :shock:
  • NES: All PAL games (Never worked) Update Mar 16: Partially implemented
  • GBC: Fushigi no Dungeon - Fuurai no Shiren GB2 (Never worked. The cutscene dialogue is not rendered/black screen and the submenus show a vertical stripe pattern on the bottom instead of the text)
  • GBC: Resident Evil Gaiden (Playable, Rendering glitch in cutscenes where the text is garbled)
  • GB: Faceball 2000 (Never worked. Restarts or freeze when starting the game) Update Mar 19: Fixed
  • GB: Prehistorik Man (Playable but horizontal bars in title screen)
  • GB: 3-D Alien Adventure (Broken since 88d5419, character sprite is corrupted) Update Mar 18: Fixed
Feature requests:
  • Multiplayer
  • Remember the last selected option in the menu
  • Settings (scaling/filter in particular) per system instead of per emulator
I'm also open to adding one more emulator if there's interest. It can be any console, my only requirement is that we can expect it to run reasonably well on the GO (100% speed, enough buttons, etc).
Emulator requests:
  • PC Engine (Existing port available from pelle7. Not quite full speed in most games)
  • Game & Watch (Also available as GB/GBC games)
  • Lynx (Existing port available from pelle7. Seems to work well)

Let me know if I missed something!
Last edited by ducalex on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:54 am, edited 16 times in total.

lordhardware
Odroid-W

Unread post by lordhardware » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:48 am

Ok so, obviously there's a lot of games that don't work.

Most are NES games due to missing mappers.
CXNes has additional Mapper support: https://github.com/perilsensitive/cxnes ... ter/boards

However the code format is very different at a glance to nofrendo so I haven't looked at how difficult it would be to attempt a conversion.

For me, multiplayer GB is my highest priority, that being said, getting PC engine in the main emulator list would be pretty great.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:00 am

lordhardware wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:48 am

CXNes has additional Mapper support: https://github.com/perilsensitive/cxnes ... ter/boards

However the code format is very different at a glance to nofrendo so I haven't looked at how difficult it would be to attempt a conversion.

For me, multiplayer GB is my highest priority, that being said, getting PC engine in the main emulator list would be pretty great.
I have looked at many emulators for their mappers and you are quite correct, for complex mappers in particular, the code is no help at all.
There's no way I can cover them all (nor should I, some obscure mappers cover only a handful of unknown games), but I'm still happy to implement the sorely missing mappers if you have specific suggestions. Here's a list for reference http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt

Up to now the multiplayer requests were mostly about NES. GB would be quite different, how would you see it working? Emulate a link cable between two odroids over bluetooth/wifi? Support physical link cables compatible with genuine gameboys? Something else?

lordhardware
Odroid-W

Unread post by lordhardware » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:17 am

ducalex wrote:
lordhardware wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:48 am

I have looked at many emulators for their mappers and you are quite correct, for complex mappers in particular, the code is no help at all.
There's no way I can cover them all (nor should I, some obscure mappers cover only a handful of unknown games), but I'm still happy to implement the sorely missing mappers if you have specific suggestions. Here's a list for reference http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt

Up to now the multiplayer requests were mostly about NES. GB would be quite different, how would you see it working? Emulate a link cable between two odroids over bluetooth/wifi? Support physical link cables compatible with genuine gameboys? Something else?
Thanks for the NSTC/PAL mode switch (although it doesn't appear to be working yet? At least for Aussie Rules Footy)

For NES/SMS multiplayer I think there is already a working example from crashoverride of host/client that could be triggered with a key combo I reckon?

For GB I love the idea of physical cables but that's nostalgia, for simplicity's sake it would need to be an emulated link cable with a call>wait>response>wait routine built in due to the odd analogue FireWire type communication method the original cable used.

There are a couple of emulators with example code, and one guy who started writing an example communication routine (on the forum here) but id need to look this all up again, it's been roughly 9 months since I last looked at it.

ducalex

Unread post by ducalex » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:48 am

PAL isn't supported yet (I forgot to hide the switch before release). I hope to get PAL working in the next release.
lordhardware (Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:50 am)

myownregister

Unread post by myownregister » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 am

This release simply has me floored with awe, thank you @ducalex! I tested the game fixes on this release and they work great for me as well. Castlevania III, in particular, works and happily playable for me. I truly appreciate your extra bonuses of implementing some missing mappers and fixes. The NES color palettes are such a huge plus too! Happy times. :)

For additional emulators, perhaps Nintendo Game & Watch would be good to sum up the retro Nintendo line-up.

Nemo1984

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 am

myownregister wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 am
This release simply has me floored with awe, thank you @ducalex! I tested the game fixes on this release and they work great for me as well. Castlevania III, in particular, works and happily playable for me. I truly appreciate your extra bonuses of implementing some missing mappers and fixes. The NES color palettes are such a huge plus too! Happy times. :)

For additional emulators, perhaps Nintendo Game & Watch would be good to sum up the retro Nintendo line-up.
Game & Watch games have been ported to the GB and GBC. It works rather well.

jafox

Unread post by jafox » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:43 pm

I really appreciate your effort to improve the little odroid-go.

I have found that altered space a 3d alien adventure from gb works in triforce and also in the 2020-03-10 version. with version 03-13 the character sprite is corrupted.

The Atari Lynx emulator included in Go-Emu is very good and works at a good speed. It would be a good addition.

Return to “Game Emulators”