XU4 vs C2 for Game Streaming?

Generalheed
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

XU4 vs C2 for Game Streaming?

Unread post by Generalheed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:34 pm

I'm looking to set up a sort of mini console for game streaming via services like GeForce Now and xCloud. I actually just ordered an RPi 3B+ with a special case for that purpose however I learned after the fact that the RPi doesn't support Android very well and will most likely not be able to run most game streaming apps very well if at all. So that's how I stumbled across ODROID and saw both the XU4 and C2 boards are significantly more powerful than the RPi. But for the purposes of game streaming from the cloud, which board is more powerful/would be better suited for that purpose? The XU4 with its 8 cores seem like it'd be more powerful but the C2 can handle 4K video decoding, supports 64 bit apps, and should still fit in my RPi case. Even if the XU4 is definitely more powerful, do you think the C2 could handle that kind of usage as well? If it can handle it just fine and I can re use my RPi case, that would be a huge plus for me, but if the XU4 is the only option then I don't mind that either.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: XU4 vs C2 for Game Streaming?

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:00 pm

Both boards handle moonlight very well under linux. Android support should be the same (though I've never tested it, so wait for a second opinion).
Regarding Android support - xu4 supports lineage 16, while c2 is "stuck" with android 6. So xu4 wins at android compatibility. On the other hand xu4 needs a fan which might be annoying...
The N2 is a xu4-like C2 :D and marries the best of both worlds.
So, tough choice...
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
Generalheed (Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:19 pm)

Generalheed

Unread post by Generalheed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:18 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:00 pm
Both boards handle moonlight very well under linux. Android support should be the same (though I've never tested it, so wait for a second opinion).
Regarding Android support - xu4 supports lineage 16, while c2 is "stuck" with android 6. So xu4 wins at android compatibility. On the other hand xu4 needs a fan which might be annoying...
The N2 is a xu4-like C2 :D and marries the best of both worlds.
So, tough choice...
I'm mainly only considering the C2 because of it's particular form factor being compatible with current Raspberry Pi 3 cases. I have a special case for my RPi 3 coming in and if I need to switch to ODROID, it would be a nice to have to be able to continue using the same case. I haven't been able to find anywhere that can make custom XU4 cases for me either unless you happen to know of any? But yeah based on some of the benchmarks on the ODROID site, it does look like the XU4 is drastically more powerful than the C2. Hopefully that doesn't mean the C2 will handle games and streaming apps poorly though.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:44 pm

It shouldn't, and C2 should be a fine choice for a few years more. The risk is that some android apps may impose some minimum API limits that forces you to switch to a newer Android than C2 supports. Not sure if you can expect further Android versions for C2 since it's rather old, but you never know...
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
Generalheed (Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:20 pm)

o_lampe
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: MC1 solo

Unread post by o_lampe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:08 pm

I haven't been able to find anywhere that can make custom XU4 cases for me either
I wouldn't be surprised to find some 3D printable cases on thingiverse for XU4. Although I didn't check yet. Then you only need a 3D printer ( or maker shop )

Regarding XU4 performance: I have the gut-feeling that CPU throttling from overheating busts the party. The fan can get loud, too.
In the end, it depends on the app. If it supports 64bit CPU well, I think the C2 is on par with XU4. ( no practical experience, though )
These users thanked the author o_lampe for the post:
Generalheed (Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:20 pm)

o_lampe
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: MC1 solo

Unread post by o_lampe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:20 pm

...just wondering about the latency with those streaming apps. How playable is it? I get sick, when trying to play 1st-person games on a slow grafic-card, can't be better with network-lags, I'm afraid...

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:26 pm

The fun in troubleshooting slow networks is more than anything any game can supply! :D

Generalheed

Unread post by Generalheed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:17 pm

o_lampe wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:20 pm
...just wondering about the latency with those streaming apps. How playable is it? I get sick, when trying to play 1st-person games on a slow grafic-card, can't be better with network-lags, I'm afraid...
I've been testing Microsoft's xCloud streaming service and on Wifi with my Galaxy S9 it works great and there's almost no noticeable latency in most cases. On the road, even on a mobile 4G LTE network from far away from my local console, the games are still quite playable. And the cloud streaming itself was pretty good too. I haven't tried other streaming services yet though like GeForce Now, Moonlight or SteamLink. But so far I've heard mixed things about these streaming apps on low to mid range Android devices which is why I'm a bit concerned how well these will run on the C2 vs XU4 vs something like a Galaxy S9.

Generalheed

Unread post by Generalheed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:26 pm

o_lampe wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:08 pm
I haven't been able to find anywhere that can make custom XU4 cases for me either
I wouldn't be surprised to find some 3D printable cases on thingiverse for XU4. Although I didn't check yet. Then you only need a 3D printer ( or maker shop )

Regarding XU4 performance: I have the gut-feeling that CPU throttling from overheating busts the party. The fan can get loud, too.
In the end, it depends on the app. If it supports 64bit CPU well, I think the C2 is on par with XU4. ( no practical experience, though )
I just checked that site and unfortunately they don't have the case I'm looking for. I primarily intend to use this as a sort of streaming Xbox with Microsoft's xcloud service. I was hoping for a mini Xbox case but none existed. Some classic consoles did have cases available but so far the only mini Xbox enclosure I could find out there was one for the Raspberry Pi 3 which would be compatible with C2.

The benchmarks listed on the XU4 and C2 product pages do show the XU4 beats the C2 by around 2.5 times in raw CPU performance but I'm hoping that extra performance isn't necessary for these streaming apps.

Generalheed

Unread post by Generalheed » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:13 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:44 pm
It shouldn't, and C2 should be a fine choice for a few years more. The risk is that some android apps may impose some minimum API limits that forces you to switch to a newer Android than C2 supports. Not sure if you can expect further Android versions for C2 since it's rather old, but you never know...
So I received my RPi 3 B+ today and went ahead to test the streaming apps. As expected it was a terrible experience and didn't even work most of the time. When it was able to start a game stream, the framerate was choppy and performance was overall pretty bad. The UI was super laggy too. So with that in mind, using the RPi 3 as a baseline, do you think the C2 is a big enough leap over the RPi 3 to resolve these performance issues?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:54 pm

Sorry, I don't have that experience... I haven't used Android (apart from limited tests) with C2 or xu4...
Wait for other forum member's opinions

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”