Additional driver modules

Talking about OS and emulation core development
kamots
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO, C1+, ODROID-GO Advance

Additional driver modules

Unread post by kamots » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Hey everyone!

I have been working on adding additional drivers for USB devices such as WiFi adapters. Joy said I should open this thread so others can get involved if they want to.

So far I have the following additional devices tested and working great (will keep updating this list, so check back): TODO list of devices (will keep updating this list, so check back): Source repository is here: https://github.com/kamotswind/odroidgoadv-drivers

Ideally these drivers will be added to the official builds but I can also provide updates as the official builds come out that include these drivers if they are not included yet. I will post those updated builds here if needed.

Before anyone says "oh, drivers are easy, just let people do that themselves" I have had several issues with the poorly-written driver code, that seems to be common among manufacturers, which required modifying code just to get it to compile properly. Even then, in some cases it still doesn't work and I will need to put more work in to fixing it. So this thread is to get additional USB devices supported on the GO Advance to make it easier for everyone at every skill level.

Now, since I am starting this effort, my requirements are that you use the build tools and libraries already on the device. For example, installing alternative versions of GCC just to compile something with some syntax errors due to bad programming is not sustainable. These drivers will all be collected in to a GitHub repository where they can be included in a (hopefully automated) build process of the GO Advance system image. For that reason they should build with the toolchains already being used for the project. No binary drivers will be accepted.

Hopefully the majority of the devices added I can purchase on Amazon to test as part of this process to confirm there are no issues. Anyone is welcome to submit driver source code and post their test results to this thread but I will also try to test those drivers myself if the device is not too expensive.

Of course, this is not my day job and I do need to give priority to that so please forgive any delays. I am also working on the file manager for the GO Advance and that will have priority until it is done.
Last edited by kamots on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
These users thanked the author kamots for the post:
Eliza (Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 pm)

kamots

Re: Additional driver modules

Unread post by kamots » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Feel free to add requests for devices to this thread. Please include an Amazon or other similar US-vendor link so I can purchase the device if needed. Also any other additional information like USB IDs and chipsets are helpful. Source code links would be great to save searching! Thank you :)

Etx
languages_spoken: english, chinese, russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Advance
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Etx » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:28 pm

How about to add something like ESP8266 with further manual soldering?

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:08 pm

That would be for more advanced users. A good idea and something I may even try down the road myself, but not the purpose of this thread/effort.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:27 pm

There's always the possibility to simply use DKMS packages to add additonal drivers.
I just compiled vhba (virtual CD drivers) which worked fine.. Same can be done for WLAN modules.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:18 pm

I vote to include them by default in the official image, even as dkms modules. They would make user's lives easier with only the cost of disk space for others.

Josh86

Unread post by Josh86 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 pm

Any reason not to use an ac/5GHz unit? I know USB2.0 limits the maximum, but I've never found any adapter to hit close enough to their theoretical speed whether N or AC. I'm using a dualband dongle over USB2.0 on one of my desktops and it's well worth it over the N-type dongles I was previously using. I had always found performance in streaming games from machine to machine way more reliable over 5GHz, the same goes for streaming game content to my phones.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... QY0SGV3SN7

This is listed as a realtek chip (RTL8821CU) -- I've come across some other generic branded dongles that list the same chip in the description on Amazon. They tend to be around the $15-20 mark for those units. I see a lot of github pages referencing the chip and drivers for Linux, but beyond that it's all far outside my realm of understanding. ODroid's Wifi5A module is listed as the RTL8811AU.

Will other more known regular consumer brands like Linksys/Belkin/Netgear or D-Link (I forget who owns who) likely work without issue? Something that department stores will typically carry or that regular consumers may already own.

I've never owned a Wifi/BT combo module. The stuff I have on hand are some older Belkin, my newer TPLink ac (dongle with big antenna), and I have several CSR8510 BT modules (Kensington re-branded). Odroid also offers the CSR8510 for their BT dongle.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:21 am

Josh86 wrote:Any reason not to use an ac/5GHz unit?
Hardkernel has 5ghz capable dongles and they work on OGA.

Josh86

Unread post by Josh86 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:55 am

Yeah, I saw that one (unless you meant a combination with bluetooth?)
Josh86 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 pm
ODroid's Wifi5A module is listed as the RTL8811AU.
Sorry, it kind of slipped my mind to mention I was specifically looking at combination 5GHz Wifi/BT modules (kamot's first hyperlink is for an Edimax combo dongle, but it's n-type and not the ac standard). The one I referenced is another Realtek chip of a slightly different model (RTL8821CU). They also make an identical looking dongle WITHOUT the bluetooth and it usees the same chip Odroid chose, the 8811AU (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081YQFQDN/re ... B07YDFZWT8). If they can both be made to work equally well, I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want the combination wifi/BT unit.

I don't know enough to assume whether there's a lot of additional effort to ensure the driver(s) work well for a module like that (for instance, the product page on it lists the BT only works with Windows) compared to other common wifi-only chips.

Some of the github pages I see for a driver on the chip reference both the 8811 and the 8821 together, but I'm unsure if it's the WLAN only or if the BT will also work.
https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU

I've seen other pages for this chip that have a driver for the BT only.
https://github.com/andydvsn/rtl8821cu_bt

Then I see here, he says the BT functions
https://github.com/whitebatman2/rtl8821CU/issues/11

I just thought this was an inexpensive chip that supports both Wifi and BT in the same dongle. It would be my first choice of purchase if I knew it would work on the OGA.

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Josh86 wrote:
Any reason not to use an ac/5GHz unit? I know USB2.0 limits the maximum, but I've never found any adapter to hit close enough to their theoretical speed whether N or AC. I'm using a dualband dongle over USB2.0 on one of my desktops and it's well worth it over the N-type dongles I was previously using. I had always found performance in streaming games from machine to machine way more reliable over 5GHz, the same goes for streaming game content to my phones.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... QY0SGV3SN7

This is listed as a realtek chip (RTL8821CU) -- I've come across some other generic branded dongles that list the same chip in the description on Amazon. They tend to be around the $15-20 mark for those units. I see a lot of github pages referencing the chip and drivers for Linux, but beyond that it's all far outside my realm of understanding. ODroid's Wifi5A module is listed as the RTL8811AU.
I bought this exact adapter and couldn't get it running properly since it first comes up as a USB CD-ROM device. Ya there is mode switch or something but it seemed like not a very plug-n-play option for Linux.

I already have it set to return to Amazon but I haven't shipped it yet. If you got some ideas on how to make it work I'll include it in my list.

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:52 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:18 pm
I vote to include them by default in the official image, even as dkms modules. They would make user's lives easier with only the cost of disk space for others.
Yep that is the goal. I've found many DKMS drivers available on the PC version of Ubuntu are not in the ARM repository which is why I started this effort. While the ODROID-branded ones work fine I'd like to see support included for other common ones, especially ones that are both WiFi and Bluetooth.

The Edimax one I have listed works great and I have already tested a Bluetooth keyboard with it while connected via SSH over WiFi. No issues.

shanti
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid N2

Unread post by shanti » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:08 am

kamots wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 pm
Feel free to add requests for devices to this thread. Please include an Amazon or other similar US-vendor link so I can purchase the device if needed. Also any other additional information like USB IDs and chipsets are helpful. Source code links would be great to save searching! Thank you :)
Sorry, can I ask you a favor? Can you test the RTL8811AU and RTL8188CUS and try to connect to the Go Advance through SSH ? they work on my device but I cannot use anything that uses HTTPS or SSH, I cannot test the reference image for some reason, it never boots :( or I would test them myself.

Thanks!

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:12 am

Sure thing, do you know what products those chipsets are in? I have several wifi adapters. An Amazon link would be perfect :D

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:33 am

Unfortunately no, the only one I know that has it is Module 5A from HK (https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/wifi-module-5a/) , but I thought you might have some laying around, if not, no need to buy them as this might be an issue on my end.

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:40 am

Ah, well I do know the ODROID-branded modules were all heavily tested so it sounds like it may be on your end then. I don't have the 5A module. Let me just check what I do have in case one of them is the same now that I know I'm looking for a dual-band AC module.

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:44 am

Can you please provide the information from the system logs, or dmesg, similar to this:

Code: Select all

usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=b812

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:33 am

I can using my build since I have access to the debug console, but I cannot from Batocera (since SSH does not work) or the reference image since I cannot make it boot :/ I will provide the info in a few hours when I am home. Thanks

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:06 pm

@shanti Can you open a new thread about the problems with booting the stock image? What have you flashed, how, does the uart console work, etc.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
YesThatGuy (Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:10 pm)

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:06 pm
@shanti Can you open a new thread about the problems with booting the stock image? What have you flashed, how, does the uart console work, etc.
I posted logs on the reference build thread, tried the new version and it booted fine, unfortunately the network problem is also present in that image, I am starting to think I have a bad or weird unit since everyone else says it works fine for them, but SSL does not work for me on any image that I have tried, funny thing is if I use those same dongles on another device they work fine (ssl and all) on the same network, all of my other devices work fine as well, its just the Go advance with any other dongle/Ethernet adapter that is not the included one, so who knows, I give up on that issue :P

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 pm

shanti wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:33 am
I will provide the info in a few hours when I am home.
:?:

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:34 pm

shanti wrote:
mad_ady wrote:
I posted logs on the reference build thread, tried the new version and it booted fine, unfortunately the network problem is also present in that image, I am starting to think I have a bad or weird unit since everyone else says it works fine for them, but SSL does not work for me on any image that I have tried, funny thing is if I use those same dongles on another device they work fine (ssl and all) on the same network, all of my other devices work fine as well, its just the Go advance with any other dongle/Ethernet adapter that is not the included one, so who knows, I give up on that issue :P
It's got to be something within your network configuration.

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:13 am

rooted wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:34 pm
shanti wrote:
mad_ady wrote:
It's got to be something within your network configuration.
Not likely, I have a ton of other devices and none of them show this issue (even with the same adapters), only on the Odroid Go Advance also this happens even at work (different network altogether), so I either have a weird unit, or something else is very wrong, but I am not knowledgeable enough to figure it out so I stopped looking into this and moved to other stuff that need to complete.

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:24 am

kamots wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 pm
shanti wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:33 am
I will provide the info in a few hours when I am home.
:?:
Sorry I got caught up by other stuff, here is the info:
ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter

[    0.723878] dwc2 ff300000.usb: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    0.724404] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[    0.724430] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    0.725651] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    0.727025] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[    0.727688] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[    0.728250] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
[    0.728762] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[    0.858129] USB Video Class driver (1.1.1)
[    0.945539] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[    1.100424] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using dwc2
[    1.291582] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0b95, idProduct=1790
[    1.291590] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    6.442595] ax88179_178a 1-1:1.0 eth0: register 'ax88179_178a' at usb-ff300000.usb-1, ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet, 00:50:b6:1f:a3:b2
Realtek 8188 (rtl8188cus) dongle

[  132.764648] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using dwc2
[  132.950272] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8176
[  132.950301] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Those are the ones I have available at the moment and this is the result with both

curl https://google.com
curl: (35) error:1408F119:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:decryption failed or bad record mac

Anyways I appreciate the help but the more I keep playing with this the more I think I have a bad unit or something.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Can you check the system date? Also, run a strace with the curl command. See if there is anything useful in the strace output... Though it seems like some cypher issue. Not sure what curl debug options would help...

Edit: seems to be this: https://serverfault.com/questions/85998 ... record-mac
I've seen this before, had this before in fact.

The answer in my case ended up being extremely subtle.

The network adapter enabled TCP Segment Offloading, which due to a bug of some form was mangling (or truncating, cant remember) the last few bytes of some messages -- which was subsequently causing the MAC on the SSL records to fail.

It was a virtual machine on VMWare.

I would try disabling TSO/GSO/GRO in your environment and seeing if the problem goes away.

ethtool -K eth0 tso off gro off gso off
rooted (Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:53 pm)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:53 pm

I have an ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter and it works without issue on the OGA without any extra configuration.

shanti

Unread post by shanti » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 am

I am sure its something on my side, apparently it works for everyone else.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:36 am

Ask the NSA to please stop breaking your SSL, because they are doing a poor job
shanti (Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 am)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:01 am

mad_ady wrote:Ask the NSA to please stop breaking your SSL, because they are doing a poor job Image
Maybe it's the KGB or MI6, you don't know Image

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 am

Ok so the drivers for ax88179_178a are there as confirmed by rooted. I'll look in to the rtl8188cus for you. Should be a fairly easy one to add.

A few things. One is what mad_ady posted. The other is NetworkManager sucks. Try deleting all of the NetworkManager config and setup the interfaces using netplan.

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:41 am

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x for that wifi driver.

Looks like this is the same chipset as yours: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MTTJOY/

bullet

Unread post by bullet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 am

kamots wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:56 pm
Hey everyone!

I have been working on adding additional drivers for USB devices such as WiFi adapters. Joy said I should open this thread so others can get involved if they want to.

So far I have the following additional devices tested and working great (will keep updating this list, so check back):
Am I correct that these devices do not work on their own with the default image? I bought the Edimax and cannot get it to display any WiFi connections when following the WiFi setup on the wiki. Do they require installing drivers that one would need internet access on the device for?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:48 am

@bullet,
You need to enable the device drivers by configuring the kernel source and build it.
If the device driver doesn't exist in the current kernel source tree, you need to port it.
Once you confirm the functionality, send a Pull-Request to our git and we will merge it for the next update.

wiedi
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by wiedi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:20 pm

https://www.euronics.de/computer-und-bu ... usb-stick

Thus WLan USB stick works out of the box, the chipset is a realtek 8188eu
These users thanked the author wiedi for the post:
YesThatGuy (Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 pm)

bullet

Unread post by bullet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:03 pm

@odroid I think I misread and thought that @kamots had already confirmed functionality in the original post and sent a pull request. My apologies.

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by deerwings » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:45 am

I've been using a TP-Link TL-WN725N (reports as RTL8188EUS) which worked perfectly fine out of the box, but only for 2.4ghz (The adapter only supports 2.4ghz anyway) but my transfer rate seems to never really top more than 3MB/s. Though it depends on what I'm transferring. Also I'm through a few walls. I have a different TP-Link unit, a TP-Link TL-WN727N (reports as RT5370) that works for LAN only, but for some reason won't connect to the internet and I really haven't the foggiest as to why. Might be a firmware issue, but I've had some other random issues in Linux with the WN727N elsewhere so it's probably a wonky driver. Works fine in Windows, though.

Haven't gotten a 5ghz wireless adapter, but if the port is USB2.0, that should still be fast enough for supported 5ghz speeds, wouldn't it?

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:19 am

I'll be making a pull request once I get back to the drivers. Currently spending all of my free time working on the file manager.
These users thanked the author kamots for the post (total 3):
odroid (Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am) • joy (Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm) • bullet (Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:03 am)

bullet

Unread post by bullet » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:02 am

I was able to build and install the drivers on the retro arena base without issue the Edimax dongle worked fine. For some reason, I can build and install in the reference base, but the adapter is never recognized.

cutterjohn
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by cutterjohn » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:54 am

This USB wifi adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6 ... UTF8&psc=1

worked for me OOB w/default hardkernel Ubuntu image... 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
These users thanked the author cutterjohn for the post:
kamots (Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:41 pm)

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Bullet, after it is installed try removing all settings for wifi then re-adding them. That worked for me. There is some bug in NetworkManager.

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Josh86 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:55 am
Yeah, I saw that one (unless you meant a combination with bluetooth?)
Josh86 wrote:
ODroid's Wifi5A module is listed as the RTL8811AU.
Sorry, it kind of slipped my mind to mention I was specifically looking at combination 5GHz Wifi/BT modules (kamot's first hyperlink is for an Edimax combo dongle, but it's n-type and not the ac standard). The one I referenced is another Realtek chip of a slightly different model (RTL8821CU). They also make an identical looking dongle WITHOUT the bluetooth and it usees the same chip Odroid chose, the 8811AU (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081YQFQDN/re ... B07YDFZWT8). If they can both be made to work equally well, I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want the combination wifi/BT unit.

I don't know enough to assume whether there's a lot of additional effort to ensure the driver(s) work well for a module like that (for instance, the product page on it lists the BT only works with Windows) compared to other common wifi-only chips.

Some of the github pages I see for a driver on the chip reference both the 8811 and the 8821 together, but I'm unsure if it's the WLAN only or if the BT will also work.
https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU

I've seen other pages for this chip that have a driver for the BT only.
https://github.com/andydvsn/rtl8821cu_bt

Then I see here, he says the BT functions
https://github.com/whitebatman2/rtl8821CU/issues/11

I just thought this was an inexpensive chip that supports both Wifi and BT in the same dongle. It would be my first choice of purchase if I knew it would work on the OGA.

I just got this working...screamed a little bit i was so excited. I added the brektrou files to the kernel and built a new kernel. Seems to be working good so far with no issues. I haven't figured out the bluetooth yet though.

20200216_034126.jpg
20200216_034126.jpg (168 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
20200216_034136_HDR.jpg
20200216_034136_HDR.jpg (230.47 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

hbiber
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by hbiber » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:23 am

kamots wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:56 pm
Hey everyone!

So far I have the following additional devices tested and working great (will keep updating this list, so check back): TODO list of devices (will keep updating this list, so check back): Source repository is here: https://github.com/kamotswind/odroidgoadv-drivers

Ideally these drivers will be added to the official builds but I can also provide updates as the official builds come out that include these drivers if they are not included yet. I will post those updated builds here if needed.

Before anyone says "oh, drivers are easy, just let people do that themselves" I have had several issues with the poorly-written driver code, that seems to be common among manufacturers, which required modifying code just to get it to compile properly. Even then, in some cases it still doesn't work and I will need to put more work in to fixing it. So this thread is to get additional USB devices supported on the GO Advance to make it easier for everyone at every skill level.

Now, since I am starting this effort, my requirements are that you use the build tools and libraries already on the device. For example, installing alternative versions of GCC just to compile something with some syntax errors due to bad programming is not sustainable. These drivers will all be collected in to a GitHub repository where they can be included in a (hopefully automated) build process of the GO Advance system image. For that reason they should build with the toolchains already being used for the project. No binary drivers will be accepted.

Hopefully the majority of the devices added I can purchase on Amazon to test as part of this process to confirm there are no issues. Anyone is welcome to submit driver source code and post their test results to this thread but I will also try to test those drivers myself if the device is not too expensive.

Of course, this is not my day job and I do need to give priority to that so please forgive any delays. I am also working on the file manager for the GO Advance and that will have priority until it is done.
I ordered the edimax adapter after seeing you mention it. I'm running the retro arena rc2. How would I go about getting it working?

bullet

Unread post by bullet » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:46 am

hbiber wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:23 am

I ordered the edimax adapter after seeing you mention it. I'm running the retro arena rc2. How would I go about getting it working?
I had to find a USB -> Ethernet adapter and ssh into the device. I then installed git, cloned the drivers, built them and installed them from the link provided above.

I think for most users, you’ll likely need to wait for an image with more drivers included.
These users thanked the author bullet for the post (total 2):
hbiber (Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:16 am) • kamots (Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm)

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 pm

If needed I can make a copy of the stock image with the drivers included.

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 pm

kamots wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 pm
If needed I can make a copy of the stock image with the drivers included.
Could you create a Binary for esp8089 Wifi module please.
https://github.com/al177/esp8089
I had problems to get the "make" command running.

joy
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1+, XU4, X

Unread post by joy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:30 pm

ripper121 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 pm
Could you create a Binary for esp8089 Wifi module please.
https://github.com/al177/esp8089
I had problems to get the "make" command running.
Hi @ripper121,
If you need tests for esp8089 module, please refer to this github.
I've modified some parts of esp8089 module driver from al177 github to fit in kernel 4.4.y version,
and confirmed that compile is done. (OGA native compile environment)
With the modified driver source, you will fix build problem. ;)

$ git clone https://github.com/JeonghwaCho/esp8089.git -b odroid-goa
And please note that if you need it to interface sdio on OGA, some additional parts of kernel dts and defconfig should be modified to interface it via SDIO.
Also some patches are needed to perform esp module init and mac80211 registration.
I've just confirmed basic operation with a module of esp8266 for SDIO interface,
so I will share the patches early next week once I've arrange related patches.
These users thanked the author joy for the post (total 2):
ripper121 (Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:36 pm) • kamots (Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:33 am)

Josh86

Unread post by Josh86 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:27 am

I'm currently using the Batocera image:

I found that one of my old Belkin N adapters worked natively. W10 doesn't recognize the Belkin branded adapter other than a generic name, but I looked up the chip from the FCCID (it's from 2007) and it's a RT2770x. Windows reports a hardware id of USB\VID_050D&PID_8053&REV_0101. MediaTek still offers a driver package for it covering the RT2770, 2870, and 307x.

I tried my TPLink Archer T2U dongle (600AC version) -- it did not work. I believe it has a MT7610U chip.

eventhorizon669
ODROIDs: C2, HC1, GO Advance

Unread post by eventhorizon669 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:21 pm

TP-Link Archer T2U Nano (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PB1X4CN) works for me using the driver built from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

m8kbv
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid N2 4GB
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:05 pm

https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/32838722743.html rtl8812au it also works out of the box.

Shumafuk
languages_spoken: english, czech, polish
ODROIDs: GO Advance

Unread post by Shumafuk » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:18 am

TP-Link TL-WN722N not working at all.

washo4evr
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by washo4evr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to get 2.4 + 5GHz and BT, all in 1 adapter that will work with the OGA?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Return to “Platform development”