{GAME] GO Advance-Can it play MAME Defender or Stargate?

Game ROMs compatibility, performance and new cores
64kRAM
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

{GAME] GO Advance-Can it play MAME Defender or Stargate?

Unread post by 64kRAM » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:37 am

{GAME] GO Advance -Can it play MAME Defender or Stargate? If so how would I set up MAME and what rom versions of Defender or Stargate would I need? I have pre-ordered the GO Advance to play just these two MAME games. I am familiar with Retropie on Raspberry PI as well as MAME on Windows 10 but I am totally new to the ODROID platform.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Re: {GAME] GO Advance-Can it play MAME Defender or Stargate?

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:03 pm

I just tested both Defender and Stargate on my ODROID Go Advance and both run fine.
Regarding how to set it up: This will depends on the image you will use in the end.. But generally it just means copying the ROM on the SD card, either per PC, or via network (WLAN) and placing it in the correct folder, that's about it.
I don't think you need a specific version. The first try I did worked out of the box.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
64kRAM (Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:50 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:58 pm

I hear Stargate and my interest is raised (old Stargate fan over here). What is this Mame Stargate?
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:32 pm

"Defender 2" it was renamed due to copy right
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 2):
mad_ady (Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:18 pm) • 64kRAM (Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:50 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:11 pm

Ok, so not exactly what I had in mind
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:02 am

meveric wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:03 pm
I just tested both Defender and Stargate on my ODROID Go Advance and both run fine. Regarding how to set it up: This will depends on the image you will use in the end..
Thank you very much. Once I get my Go Advance what kernal/OS image do you recommend I install that would contain the MAME emulator? Yes, I am familiar on how to copy my rom files to a device, I have successfully set up over 4 different Raspberry Pis to run Retropie. However I know zero about how to do the OS and software set up on a Go Advance after I assembly it. How would you recommend I set up the device. What folder would I drop my MAME arcade rom files? Any software or OS install suggestions or roadmap would be appreciated. Again thank you for testing out these MAME arcade games.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:12 am

There are several different images already available check the projects site of the ODROID Go Advance section of the forum you can watch the progress there.

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:30 pm

May I ask which setup you used to run defender?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:20 pm

I use my own setup but that is not (yet) published anywhere.
It uses retroarch and I tested it with fbalpha and fbneo core worked fine with both.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:

lix-alpha

Unread post by lix-alpha » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 am

Can't wait to get mine.....
These users thanked the author lix-alpha for the post:

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:51 am

lix-alpha wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 am
Can't wait to get mine.....
Wanted to ask if you have started to build your microsd card? If so what versions of mame and what folder structure are you using?

lix-alpha

Unread post by lix-alpha » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 pm

Wanted to ask if you have started to build your microsd card? If so what versions of mame and what folder structure are you using?
No I did not start yet but I will probably use FBNeo for Arcade.

maryretro
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by maryretro » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:20 am

Could you please tell me the steps to add mame setting base on the odroid default image file?

sharks
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by sharks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:52 am

I could not get mame to run on the default image yet, not sure if it's me or the rom or if it's not supported. it worked fine with batocera but the games or the emulator for that matter don't show up for me using the odroid image, I must be missing something

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am

sharks wrote:I could not get mame to run on the default image yet, not sure if it's me or the rom or if it's not supported. it worked fine with batocera but the games or the emulator for that matter don't show up for me using the odroid image, I must be missing something
It's not yet supported on the base image.

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:56 am

I am using RC1 OS and having problem with two MAME games. I wanted to ask if others were able to run these MAME arcade games: Defender and Stargate on Retro Arena? I am using Mame 139 Mame2010 Set of roms and many games work fine.

However when I run Defender it goes through the initial test indicative unit OK but stops on a screen
"01 0000 Coins Left Press Advance to step thru test Press Highschore reset to make change"

When I run Stargate it goes through the initial graphics scramble but stops at FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED.

I purchased the Go Advance to run these two games. Any help would be appreciated.

dmckean44
ODROIDs: odroid-go advance

Unread post by dmckean44 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:41 pm

I'm getting similar results when I try to run them except I'm getting further in Stargate, but still can't play. We'll need to ask meveric what version of mame and settings he was using to get it to run.

In the meantime, the 'William's Arcade Greatest Hits' PSX rom runs great.
These users thanked the author dmckean44 for the post:
64kRAM (Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:17 pm)

dmckean44

Unread post by dmckean44 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:26 pm

For everyone else, Defender and Stargate work fine in batocera. Use ROMS from a 0.78 romset.

Batocera seems to picky about how to write to the file system and I used the USB to ethernet adapter that I use with the Nintendo Switch to copy the ROMS to the /roms/mame/mame2003 folder. Then just rescan and you're good to go.

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:00 pm

How do I perform a rescan in batocera? I put the rims in that folder but the games don’t appear in the menu selection.

dmckean44

Unread post by dmckean44 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:21 pm

It's under game settings, the very last option.

JLsoft
ODROIDs: ODROID Go Advance

Unread post by JLsoft » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Defender and Stargate should work fine with any build as long as you have the proper ROM for the MAME version you're using. What you need to do is, if it sits on a 'Factory Settings Restored'-like screen, then enter the RetroArch 'Quick Menu' (usually set up as Select+A ('right' face button) if someone bothered to predefine Hotkeys), and hit Restart. You'll only need to do this once, since whatever MAME version you're using should write an .nv which the game will look for an subsequent runs and it doesn't stop after the self-test anymore.

[EDIT: Also see: https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/FAQ:Games]
These users thanked the author JLsoft for the post:
64kRAM (Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:24 pm)

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:55 am

JLsoft wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 pm
'Factory Settings Restored'-like screen, then enter the RetroArch 'Quick Menu' (usually set up as Select+A ('right' face button) if someone bothered to predefine Hotkeys), and hit Restart.
[EDIT: Also see: https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/FAQ:Games]
Thank you for the reply. What keys wold be "Select" and what keys would be "A". I have tried holding down the A button with every combination on the Go Advance. No luck. I am using Retra Arena Base OS1 - I am stuck on the below screen. I am using Mame 2010 .139. I am using Retra Arena Base OS1 and having problems with MAME on Defender as well as all of the Williams games. I am stuck on the below screen. I am using Mame 2010 .139. I have set up many retropie raspberry pi systems and I have never had this problem. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? I seem to have this with all of the Williams games. Sinistar, Stargate, Robotron. Any solutions would be welcome. Seems like I need to press "The select + b" to click through but I am not sure which button the select is? I have tried holding the B button with each of the bottom 6 buttons, but have not had any success. I believe this issue has something to do with my inability to reset the game because I dont have a proper button mapping?
Attachments
IMG_6061.jpg
IMG_6061.jpg (489.52 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

JLsoft

Unread post by JLsoft » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Yeah I have *nooooo* idea how you got that far into the game's Service/self test menus, since that would involve hitting different combinations of MAME keyboard keys F1, F2, number 7 and 9...except F1 wouldn't work that way inside RetroArch...

ANYWAY, try this...Plug a USB keyboard into the top, hit F1, and see if it brings up RetroArch's Quick Menu. If it does, then select Restart. If you can't see most of the screen due to it being rotated or off the OGA's small screen, then just hit Down Arrow and then Enter on the keyboard.

Do not hit any buttons on the console.

See if the game then fills the screen with 'garbage', says Initial Tests Indicate Unit Okay, and -then- goes into the actual game's attract mode...

(as for my earlier descriptions of buttons...I figured that the image you're using would've mapped 'Select' to the leftmost rubber key under the screen, with Start being the rightmost one...and the ABXY buttons have letters molded on them. :P)

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:58 pm

I attached the keyboard, turned the unit on selected Defender, waited until the final screen came on and hit F1. That did not work. See pictures. Still stuck on "press advance" screen. I also repeated with F4 and the other F keys.
Attachments
IMG_6073.jpg
IMG_6073.jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
IMG_6068.jpg
IMG_6068.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
IMG_6066.jpg
IMG_6066.jpg (76.97 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
IMG_6064.jpg
IMG_6064.jpg (103.3 KiB) Viewed 1395 times

Ckorik
ODROIDs: odroid go advance
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Ckorik » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Defender (and bootlegs)

The first time they are launched, it will say '01 0000 COINS LEFT' and/or stop at "Factory settings restored". To continue simply press F2. If that fails, try F3, or F1 + F2.

Also:

Controller Config FilesWhat Are They For?The controller specific config files are designed so that you can configure the abundance of controllersavailable on the market to work with MAME. If you consider that you can get up to 14 buttons on a controller,multiple sticks and dpads, you can configure each one to do something in MAME. You can even makespecific controller config files that work exclusively on individual games or systems.MAME config files use XML and so are not for the beginner but are incredibly useful if you have specialcontrollers.

The Easy Way :)Here's a little shortcut for all of you not brave enough to read the whole section (Head Hurt Already?) O.K. tosave time you can load the game you want to remap into MAME, remap the controls in the in-game menu(press tab and go to Input (this game)). Exit the game and Mame will save a config file in the cfg folder inyour Mame folder. What you can do is open the config file (named gamename.cfg) and copy / paste thechanged keys into your controller config file. This saves trying to work out the names for your controllersfunction and writing all those lines of code. (Note: make sure that you delete any <counter> and <mixer>commands that may be copied)

If you can do this - and create the cfg file - we can remap the function keys and setup configs for the defender and stargate games I think. We need a cfg file for the controller before we try to remap those buttons though.
These users thanked the author Ckorik for the post:
64kRAM (Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 am)

JLsoft

Unread post by JLsoft » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:40 pm

To add to what Ckorik said above in the first line, with a keyboard connected, hit Tab...select (by using arrow keys and Enter) "Input (This Game)" and -look- at what the Auto Up/Advance/Service 1/High Score Reset keys are. Since they should be default (F1, F2, 9, 7), just hold the F1 key down while you tap F2...you should -eventually- get to the game.

Really though, it shouldn't even be putting you in these menus by running the game in the first place. Maybe just try a different image, like batocera, which uses a 'MAME 2003-Plus' (.78 rom set) core? :P

dmckean44

Unread post by dmckean44 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:46 pm

JLsoft wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:40 pm
To add to what Ckorik said above in the first line, with a keyboard connected, hit Tab...select (by using arrow keys and Enter) "Input (This Game)" and -look- at what the Auto Up/Advance/Service 1/High Score Reset keys are. Since they should be default (F1, F2, 9, 7), just hold the F1 key down while you tap F2...you should -eventually- get to the game.

Really though, it shouldn't even be putting you in these menus by running the game in the first place. Maybe just try a different image, like batocera, which uses a 'MAME 2003-Plus' (.78 rom set) core? :P
I got him up and running with batocera earlier tonight.
These users thanked the author dmckean44 for the post:
64kRAM (Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:35 am)

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:30 am

Ckorik wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 pm
Defender (and bootlegs)

The first time they are launched, it will say '01 0000 COINS LEFT' and/or stop at "Factory settings restored". To continue simply press F2. If that fails, try F3, or F1 + F2.
So when using the base OS RA RC2 using the defender rom - hitting any of the above key with a keyboard attached does not bring out of that screen.

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 am

JLsoft wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:40 pm
hit Tab...select (by using arrow keys and Enter) "Input (This Game)" and -look- at what the Auto Up/Advance/Service 1/High Score Reset keys are. Since they should be default (F1, F2, 9, 7), just hold the F1 key down while you tap F2...you should -eventually- get to the game.

Using base OS of RA RC1 when hitting the tab key does not take me out of the Add Coins screen of Defender.
Moving to Batocera and using the 2003 .78 rom Defender and Stargate does work! Thank you and dmckean44 for the suggestion and help!

Now any ideas on how to add the Mame cheat file in Batocera?
Attachments
defender.jpg
defender.jpg (544.76 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 am

Wow~~ you really have the original genuine ROM ICs which were programmed in year 1980 :o :twisted:
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
64kRAM (Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:40 am)

datadragon
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by datadragon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:36 am

64kRam... Defender by Jerry Buckner & Gary Garcia original version from vinyl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDBRL0CAJt4

Glad you got it running, when testing first on RG350 and Mame4all, when it stopped at that screen '01 0000 COINS LEFT' I hit select+start which brought up the menu and chose 'reset game'. Upon reset it said initial tests indicate unit ok and then went into the game and allowed play. So I had thought both emuelec and batocera which allow entry into menu options should work ok just resetting game. Emuelec also uses Mame2003plus as default which should have optimal performance for the odroid go advance. It appears Retro Arena may not yet allow menu options and is currently using mame2010 which requires a different romset and may not perform as optimally as mame2003plus. All software is in early stage so just keep reporting issues to the developers of the image.
These users thanked the author datadragon for the post:
64kRAM (Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:04 pm)

JLsoft

Unread post by JLsoft » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Glad it's finally working :)
64kRAM wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 am
Now any ideas on how to add the Mame cheat file in Batocera?
On your SD card, a MAME cheat.dat goes in /bios/mame2003-plus/ (or similar, I don't know the exact casing at the moment), and/or any other /bios/mame*/ folders.

When in the emulator, you'll need to get into MAME's TAB key menu...Hold down the 'I' button (the leftmost rubber button under the screen...it's 'Select'), and also press B. That will bring up RetroArch's 'Quick Menu'.

Navigate down to Options, enter there, and find something like 'Show MAME menu'...toggle that to On, and press Select+B again. From there you can use the MAME menu like normal to go into Cheats and enable the ones you want/etc. Note that the 'Enter' (select/confirm/etc) key/button will be different according to MAME, so you probably have to use X (top face button) to act as 'Enter' in the MAME menu.

You can then do Select+B, go back to 'Options' in RetroArch's Quick Menu, and toggle off the 'Show MAME menu' option.

64kRAM

Unread post by 64kRAM » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:08 pm

I am using Batocera V5.25 dev 2020/02/05 15.13 on Go Advance. I had a few questions when using Mame. Specifically I was playing Mame Arcade game Defender and I had some problems with the quick menu: 1) How do I go into the RetroArch menu for the emulator without screen becoming hard to read. When I hit the special button <"I"> and "Button B" the menu comes up but its sideways and I cannot read it. 2) How do I change the default buttons functionality?

Firebird_WS6
ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Unread post by Firebird_WS6 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:23 am

FYI both Defender and Stargate also work in Mame 2003 Plus on Emuelec.
These users thanked the author Firebird_WS6 for the post:
64kRAM (Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:07 am)

Return to “Game emulations”