MJK
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+, C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

C2 SPDIF sound issue

Unread post by MJK » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Good afternoon - and Happy New Year to all the ODroid fellows + HardKernel Team

I have an issue and I am trying to resolve it: I am using ODroid's for few years, they used to work flawless.
Now I have issue w/my C2 with HiFi Shield+ booted from eMMC: after changing the amplituner, I have connected my C2 with TOSLink instead of analog connection, and here's an issue: the sound send by toslink cable breaks in randomly; approx 1 sec of silence here and then, without any regularity.
The "line" (analog) output sound works perfectly fine ("as usual"), the HDMI sound I was testing with TV looks fine (no issues for 2h of listening..), the toslink still breaks here and there, sometimes works fine for 20 min and sometimes breaks after 20 sec.
I have tried different SW versions (latest CoreELEC, latest LibreELEC, good old stable LibreELEC 8.2.5 which used to work fine for year+) - same problem.
Playing with sound options (passthrough, resample, etc) did not help.
I have tried disconnecting USB disk, no change. the CPU utilisation is low (12-20% core #0, rest of cores idle; via ssh top showing no heavy load whatsoever), temperature "usual" (45-48C).
I can suspect the toslink cable, of the new amplituner (Yamaha R-N803D), have no other clues.

do You have any hints what to do?

Thank You in advance
Michal

ps
after reading thru several posts, I understand the SPDIF output is the same circuit as HDMI audio output - is that correct? in such case, that would be the amplituner issue as the TV via HDMI does not show any issues ????

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Re: C2 SPDIF sound issue

Unread post by joerg » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:40 am

I am using a toslink connection to an Onkio AV Receiver, from a C2 with Android M. My wife hears all day long Spotify without any issue. When I tried year ago to record sound with my linux pc with toslink input I had very much these interrupts you described. I assume that this is caused by bad synchronisation of the receiving device.
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
odroid (Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:40 am)

MJK
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+, C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: C2 SPDIF sound issue

Unread post by MJK » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Thanks Joerg for the feedback

FYI, I have found an option to "reset" all the amplituner to factory state - and that had helped; whole evening without single issue in playback.
Looks fancy Yamaha was overloaded - not yet sure which setting was responsible for that... BT audio probably.

Anyway, the issue looks solved (fingers crossed)

I am enjoying quality playback with C2 :)

MJK

Return to “Issues”