XU4(HC2) No gigabit ethernet help OMV

nikoli707
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC2

XU4(HC2) No gigabit ethernet help OMV

Unread post by nikoli707 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 am

I will try to keep this short, bear with me as im new to all this linux stuff.

Initally i installed OMV via the odroid wiki, followed the guide to the T up to the Samba section, everything past that i didnt need. Everything seemed to work fine, great guide, except i was only getting about 9-11mb write speed on my 8TB drive(ext4 formatted in OMV). Google learned me to ssh, blah blah blah, ethtool, blah blah blah. I ended up at the Armbian website and installing 4.14.157 via Armbain and then installing OMV 5.2.1-1 via a script from Ryecoaaron. Same deal here, about 12mb max write/read speed on my 8tb drive(this time ext4 formatted in Armbian via ssh). The light on the HC2 is green, i never seen amber/yellow. I have tried about six ethernet cables, four cat5e and two cat6. The switch(ubiquiti edgerouterx) has no problems on the same port with a desktop or laptop at getting 1000/full with multiple cables. I google learned how to ssh into the switch, which magically uses the same "ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full" blah blah... that the odroid uses. This never works, kills the odroid, also kills the port on the switch, reset and back to normal. Ive ssh updated the kernal and i feel given it my best, but im very new to this linux stuff.

here is the ethtool; sorry i dont know how to do the code box thingy...

admin@odroidxu4:~$ sudo ethtool enx001e0636f5de
[sudo] password for admin:
Settings for enx001e0636f5de:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 32
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00007fff (32767)
drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err tx_queued intr tx_done rx_status pktdata hw wol
Link detected: yes

Ive run out of google searching to try and figure out why it wont go to 1000/full. Should i try a different OS? I saw in a different thread where someone had this issue and solved with with ubuntu mate? Im just using this as a media server/dlna/storage to my devices. Any help would be appreciated.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: XU4(HC2) No gigabit ethernet help OMV

Unread post by odroid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am

Try our Ubuntu image to narrow down root causes.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... 10-minimal

If it is okay with your Gbit Ethernet network environment, try other Debian images and OMV add-on.

nikoli707

Unread post by nikoli707 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 am

odroid wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am
Try our Ubuntu image to narrow down root causes.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... 10-minimal

If it is okay with your Gbit Ethernet network environment, try other Debian images and OMV add-on.
Okay, give me a bit and i will md5 it and etcher it on the microsd and set it up. is there a setup guide i should follow for the ubuntu minimal you linked me?

UPDATE: i guess the (https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... c_settings) is the setup for it. i will follow that and report back.

nikoli707

Unread post by nikoli707 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:49 am

I followed the guide "I" linked above for ubuntu minimal, i assumed it was right. Anyways, it installed fine and i can ssh into it correctly, ran the updates and followed the guide up to samba, though i didn't setup the hard drive section yet. In the Odroid, when i sudo ethtool eth0 im still getting the same; Supported and Link partner(top and bottom) speeds show the 1000baseT/Full, but the Advertised(middle in the list) doesn't show 1000... speed is shown as 100Mb/s and the odroid rj45 connector led is green.

On the Switch(edgerouterx) when i sudo ethtool eth2(thats the port the Odroid is plugged into) it reports Supported and Advertised(top and middle) speeds of 1000/full but the Link partner(bottom) as only 100/full, and a reported speed of 100Mb/s. Ive tried forcing "speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off" on both ends but i get no connection.

I guess this leads me to believe that the Odroid itself believes it supports 1000 and knows the Switch does also, but its not advertising that speed so they dont connect.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Thank you for the test result.

I hope @mad_ady can help you to diagnose your network speed settings.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 pm

Ok, so:
The advertised modes are the modes that are advertised to the partner on the other end over the cable, and the link partner advertised modes are the modes that the NIC at the other end is advertising over the cable
So for some reason, your device (odroid) is not advetising gigabit mode. I'm curious if you get the same ethtool output on both ends with the current ethernet cable reversed (switch the ends). If the advertsed/link partner output reverses, I'd suspect the cable to have a faulty pair.
If it shows the same thing and you get 100Mbps with a different (gigabit tested) cable and a different end device (e.g. a laptop), then I'd suspect a problem with the ethernet connector on your odroid. Either a bent ethernet jack pin, or an imperfect solder point between the connector and the pcb.
Not sure there's a way to run a "cable tester" from an ethernet port and see which wires "light up", but I'll look into it...

nikoli707

Unread post by nikoli707 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:16 am

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 pm
Ok, so:
The advertised modes are the modes that are advertised to the partner on the other end over the cable, and the link partner advertised modes are the modes that the NIC at the other end is advertising over the cable
So for some reason, your device (odroid) is not advetising gigabit mode. I'm curious if you get the same ethtool output on both ends with the current ethernet cable reversed (switch the ends). If the advertsed/link partner output reverses, I'd suspect the cable to have a faulty pair.
If it shows the same thing and you get 100Mbps with a different (gigabit tested) cable and a different end device (e.g. a laptop), then I'd suspect a problem with the ethernet connector on your odroid. Either a bent ethernet jack pin, or an imperfect solder point between the connector and the pcb.
Not sure there's a way to run a "cable tester" from an ethernet port and see which wires "light up", but I'll look into it...
Yes i tried reversing the cables multiple times. My uncle works for att/directv and has a tone tester tool thing that shows bandwidth, i guess i could have him test one of the cables to chech throughput. I find it hard to believe i would have six "bad" cables though. I am going to grab a few more cables from work, there are probably another six i could test and see. I will give it a few more trys.

I did look into the ethernet connector on the odroid and it appears nice and clean, no bent pins. But since it is an HC2 i cant really see the under side of the pcb to see the solder points because of the hard drive sled.
Last edited by nikoli707 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:38 am

Also try a test with a different gigabit device on the other end. I take it the cables are short (2-3m), right? If you have long cables (>25m) with bad shielding you might get crosstalk that could prevent a gigabit connection, though most likely that would result in packet loss, not negociation problems...

Anyway, your problem seems to be caused by a hardware defect somewhere.

Oh, one more thing - if using hardkernel ubuntu make sure to run apt-get dist-upgrade to get the latest kernel. Early on the N2 there were ethernet issues caused by a bad voltage in a driver. Increasing it by 1mV fixed the issue. Though xu4 has been stable for years...

nikoli707

Unread post by nikoli707 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:48 am

mad_ady wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:38 am
Also try a test with a different gigabit device on the other end. I take it the cables are short (2-3m), right? If you have long cables (>25m) with bad shielding you might get crosstalk that could prevent a gigabit connection, though most likely that would result in packet loss, not negociation problems...

Anyway, your problem seems to be caused by a hardware defect somewhere.

Oh, one more thing - if using hardkernel ubuntu make sure to run apt-get dist-upgrade to get the latest kernel. Early on the N2 there were ethernet issues caused by a bad voltage in a driver. Increasing it by 1mV fixed the issue. Though xu4 has been stable for years...
I did run the apt get dist upgrade on each image i tried. All the cables are 3m or less... One is 18 inches, though it is cat5e, but it shouldn't matter. I purchased the board kit from ameridroid, i will contact them and try to get an rma process going. In the meantime I am going to try and get ahold of as many ethernet cables I can get my hands on and give it a few more tries, but im not holding out much hope at this point. It's a great little bored and I know it's going to work perfectly for my needs as I already had it set up serving both smart TVs, both computers, and a tablet. I just need to get it working properly or get a replacement.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:14 am

Yes, sorry - not sure what else you can try...
Since it doesn't work at gigabit speeds when forced, there must be something wrong with the port/connector, it's not just autodetection issue

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Please update the test results once you have a replaced board from Ameridroid.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Ameridroid

Unread post by Ameridroid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:46 am

@nikoli707 - Glad to meet you in person today at our shop. Let us know if you have any issues with the replacement HC2 that you received today!
These users thanked the author Ameridroid for the post:
nikoli707 (Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:08 am)

nikoli707

Unread post by nikoli707 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:54 am

UPDATE:

I got a replacement board today, thanks ^ Ameridroid :D . Etched a fresh install image on the sd card, plugged it in and it immediately picked up the 1000/full network, amber light on the board, confirmed with the light on the switch and inside the switch software. AWESOME :) . Im going to keep on installing and setting up OMV and i fully expect my write/read speeds to be dramatically faster. :D

Clearly there was something wrong with the other board, rj45 connector or the realtek chip. Thanks for the help guys, its nice to have good support, and i learned a few things about ssh and linux through the troubleshooting process.
These users thanked the author nikoli707 for the post (total 2):
odroid (Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:18 am) • Ameridroid (Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:48 am)

walton19
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by walton19 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 pm

nikoli707 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 am
I will try to keep this short, bear with me as im new to all this linux stuff.

Initally i installed OMV via the odroid wiki, followed the guide to the T up to the Samba section, everything past that i didnt need. Everything seemed to work fine, great guide, except i was only getting about 9-11mb write speed on my 8TB drive(ext4 formatted in OMV). Google learned me to ssh, blah blah blah, ethtool, blah blah blah. I ended up at the Armbian website and installing 4.14.157 via Armbain and then installing OMV 5.2.1-1 via a script from Ryecoaaron. Same deal here, about 12mb max write/read speed on my 8tb drive(this time ext4 formatted in Armbian via ssh). The light on the HC2 is green, i never seen amber/yellow. I have tried about six ethernet cables, four cat5e and two cat6. The switch(ubiquiti edgerouterx) has no problems on the same port with a desktop or laptop at getting 1000/full with multiple walmart one cables. I google learned how to ssh into the switch, which magically uses the same "ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full" blah blah... that the odroid uses. This never works, kills the odroid, also kills the port on the switch, reset and back to normal. Ive ssh updated the kernal and i feel given it my best, but im very new to this linux stuff.

here is the ethtool; sorry i dont know how to do the code box thingy...

admin@odroidxu4:~$ sudo ethtool enx001e0636f5de
[sudo] password for admin:
Settings for enx001e0636f5de:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 32
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00007fff (32767)
drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err tx_queued intr tx_done rx_status pktdata hw wol
Link detected: yes

Ive run out of google searching to try and figure out why it wont go to 1000/full. Should i try a different OS? I saw in a different thread where someone had this issue and solved with with ubuntu mate? Im just using this as a media server/dlna/storage to my devices. Any help would be appreciated.
I got the same issues.
Last edited by walton19 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 am

@walton19,

Which OS image and kernel version do you run?
Which type of Ethernet cables did you try?
What is the model name of the network switch/router?

Return to “Issues”