Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

AviatorBimmer
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 0

Re: Petitboot, yet another bootloader based on KEXEC

Post by AviatorBimmer »

Nevermind! I figured it out and it worked flawlessly! I was able to flash CoreElec onto my eMMC by connecting the N2 to my PC and using USB Mass Storage. Worked like a charm!

Thank you so much for this feature, devs! You just saved me from having to purchase an eMMC USB adapter and havign to wait until Tuesday for it to be delivered. =)
These users thanked the author AviatorBimmer for the post:
odroid (Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:41 am)

mxmilkb
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2

Post by mxmilkb »

tobetter wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:40 am
When I had tested Manjaro before the release, even it didn't boot from a memory card without the Petitboot. Then I've not looked into it yet, will do later.
Any possible chance of having another look at mainline Manjaro ARM? I believe it's inability to boot is most likely related to the boot.ini load addresses config. The install has to be generated by a script on an Arch or Manjaro live USB or VM.
Last edited by mxmilkb on Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

mxmilkb wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:20 am
tobetter wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:40 am
When I had tested Manjaro before the release, even it didn't boot from a memory card without the Petitboot. Then I've not looked into it yet, will do later.
Any possible change of having another look at mainline Manjaro ARM? I believe it's inability to boot is most likely related to the boot.ini load addresses config. The install has to be generated by a script on an Arch or Manjaro live USB or VM.
I was a bit busy for some other work recently and let me see Petitboot in a couple of days for minor upgrades and why Majaro is not working.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
mxmilkb (Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:36 am)

Newbie_from_NJ
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2
Been thanked: 0

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

Hello everyone,

I have installed CoreELEC Nightly on 64GB eMMC (red dot) and Android on uSD (Samsung Evo 64GB SDXC1). Each operating system boots fine on their own when the other is not present. However, I am having issues dual booting.

My Odroid N2 was delivered on 12/16/19 and it came with Petitboot (dev.20190416) pre-installed. In order to update to the latest version, I flashed version (dev.20190417) the “Old Way” and then proceeded to install incremental updates. First, Petitboot dev.20191020, followed by the latest version, dev.20191127.

So, using the latest Petitboot version, here’s the outcome of having this type of dual setup:

If the SPI switch is to the right (eMMC) and both the uSD (Android) and eMMC card (CoreELEC) are installed, ODROID N2 by default selects the eMMC card (CoreELEC) to boot. However, CoreELEC does not boot up properly as it gets stuck on a constant boot loop. If the uSD is removed, then CoreELEC boots fine. Android also boots fine, if the eMMC card is removed. To summarize, only one card can be installed with the SPI switch on the right. Either OS boots fine, just as long as only one card is present.

If the SPI switch is to the left (SPI), Petitboot (ver.20191127) is shown and I get the following two options to select from:
[Disk: mmcblk0p1 / 1812-5247]
CoreELEC
[Disk: mmcblk1p1 / 5E04-D466]
Android Pie (64Bit)

If I do not make a selection, ODROID N2 boots the eMMC (CoreELEC) by default. In this case, CoreELEC boots fine.

However, if I select Android, it doesn’t boot it. The bottom left corner of screen states the following… “Performing kexec load", then a black screen flashes for 2 seconds, then Petitboot screen re-appears again (for a few seconds) with the bottom left corner stating the following... "Performing kexec reboot". Lastly, the HARDKERNEL boot image is displayed and remains displayed. Both the red and blue LEDs on board are also constantly lit (no flashes). The only way out of this screen is to power cycle the box.

Another user on the CoreELEC forum was trying to assist me with this as he currently has the same setup (android on uSD and CoreELEC on eMMC) and his is working with no problem. I've already tried using different versions of android as well... 32bit, 64bit, ATV and they all have the same symptom.

Anyone know why android won’t boot properly after selecting it?
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 18.5 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Onkyo TX-NR636 Atmos 7.2

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:30 am
Hello everyone,

I have installed CoreELEC Nightly on 64GB eMMC (red dot) and Android on uSD (Samsung Evo 64GB SDXC1). Each operating system boots fine on their own when the other is not present. However, I am having issues dual booting.
By any chance, are you able to try another uSD, not Samsung EVO?
However, if I select Android, it doesn’t boot it. The bottom left corner of screen states the following… “Performing kexec load", then a black screen flashes for 2 seconds, then Petitboot screen re-appears again (for a few seconds) with the bottom left corner stating the following... "Performing kexec reboot". Lastly, the HARDKERNEL boot image is displayed and remains displayed. Both the red and blue LEDs on board are also constantly lit (no flashes). The only way out of this screen is to power cycle the box.

Another user on the CoreELEC forum was trying to assist me with this as he currently has the same setup (android on uSD and CoreELEC on eMMC) and his is working with no problem. I've already tried using different versions of android as well... 32bit, 64bit, ATV and they all have the same symptom.
What about when eMMC is removed, does Android on uSD can boot up with Petitboot?

Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

tobetter wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 am
Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Hello everyone,

What about when eMMC is removed, does Android on uSD can boot up with Petitboot?
I do have a Sandisk 64GB SDXC1. I will flash android on this one and will report back. I also removed the eMMC card and Petitboot won't boot android from uSD either. I get the same symptom as above, where Hardkernel image remains until box is power cycled.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield, Wetek Hub, AFTV

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:07 am
tobetter wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 am
Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Hello everyone,

I do have a Sandisk 64GB SDXC1. I will flash android on this one and will report back. I also removed the eMMC card and Petitboot won't boot android from uSD either. I get the same symptom as above, where Hardkernel image remains until box is power cycled.
I am doubting Samsung Evo which may break the boot, I've not tested Samsung EVO yet. Please let me know if Sandisk works or not, meanwhile please let me know the model of Samsung EVO card or colour of it.

minoccio
languages_spoken: Italian

Post by minoccio »

I have same problem of @Newbie_from_NJ. I tried Lineage OS 64 bit and Lineage OS ATV 64 bit. All works in uSD "normal" boot. Problem only with petitboot (uSD is Samsung evo plus 64 GB): when I choose to boot from uSD (other option is eMMC with Coreelec), system hangs on Hardkernel logo and blue led steady light

Sholander
ODROIDs: ODROID N2

Post by Sholander »

Hi, I haven't used Petitboot for some time but returned to it some days ago. Now I use it to boot CE from eMMC and Android Pie-ATV from uSD Sandisk 32GB.
With latest spiboot-20191127 version I set it to Auto-boot from uSD card. It does that but N2 reboots twice to Petitboot before it boots from uSD. It does that also if on first boot to Petitboot I select manually which OS to boot. I remember that with older versions it booted selected OS immediately. Was this somehow changed ?
I so, do you know which is the last version that worked without double reboot to Petitboot, or do I have to find out myself ? These are my archived version: spiboot-20191020, spiboot-20191105, spiboot-20191112.
Or has this behavior something to do with specific OS versions I use ("CE stable 9.2.1" on eMMC and Android " arm64_ATV_PIE-R.05_selfinstall-odroidn2" by @secuflag on uSD) ?

stats101
ODROIDs: Go, N2

Post by stats101 »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
My Odroid N2 was delivered on 12/16/19 and it came with Petitboot (dev.20190416) pre-installed. In order to update to the latest version, I flashed version (dev.20190417) the “Old Way” and then proceeded to install incremental updates. First, Petitboot dev.20191020, followed by the latest version, dev.20191127.
Is this correct? :o My N2 came with 20190408 and used the 20191127 upgrade image to jump straight to the latest version. Should I have gone incrementally from 20190408>20190417>20190705>20191127? Seems to work fine on a quick test. Should I use the 20191127 to do a full clean install? :?: :shock:

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

No need to go through incremental versions. When flashing a new petitboot version it erases the previous version and its settings.

Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

So I flashed the exact ATV image on the Sandisk 64GB uSD and it also doesn't boot from Petitboot. However, the symptoms are definitely different than the ones from the Samsung Evo uSD. This time, when Petitboot tries to boot Android, it doesn't get stuck at the Hardkernel logo. I actually don't get anything at all. My TV (LG OLED C9) doesn't recognize any input at all... so the screen remains blank. Also, the Blue LED on the board is not steady either, as it was on the Samsung Evo uSD. The LED now flashes, but no video is being sent to TV.

Lastly, android also boots fine when SPI switch is on the RIGHT with this Sandisk 64gb uSD.

You requested the model number for the Evo uSD... Its color is orange and here's the description from my Amazon receipt: Samsung Electronics 64GB EVO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP64DA/AM)
Last edited by Newbie_from_NJ on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stats101
ODROIDs: Go, N2

Post by stats101 »

mad_ady wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:12 am
No need to go through incremental versions. When flashing a new petitboot version it erases the previous version and its settings.
In which case why is there a separate update and recovery version?

karog
ODROIDs: XU4,N2

Post by karog »

stats101 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:45 am
mad_ady wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:12 am
In which case why is there a separate update and recovery version?
In case the SPI has gotten bolloxed and the normal method of update is not working. Hence the name recovery.

minoccio

Post by minoccio »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:53 am
So I flashed the exact ATV image on the Sandisk 64GB uSD and it also doesn't boot from Petitboot. However, the symptoms are definitely different than the ones from the Samsung Evo uSD. This time, when Petitboot tries to boot Android, it doesn't get stuck at the Hardkernel logo. I actually don't get anything at all. My TV (LG OLED C9) doesn't recognize any input at all... so the screen remains blank. Also, the Blue LED on the board is not steady either, as it was on the Samsung Evo uSD. The LED now flashes, but no video is being sent to TV.

Lastly, android also boots fine when SPI switch is on the RIGHT with this Sandisk 64gb uSD.

You requested the model number for the Evo uSD... Its color is orange and here's the description from my Amazon receipt: Samsung Electronics 64GB EVO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP64DA/AM)
Have you changed the value setenv display_autodetect from "true" to "false" in boot.ini?

Edit: I tested a Samsung evo plus 32 GB SDHC (sorry, was the only I had) with same results of Samsung evo 64 GB SDXC

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:53 am

In your case, I'd try with older Petitboot versions, spiboot-20191112 and spiboot-20191105 to see if it works then.

In my case on N2 I have tried 4 ATV versions in the last 3 days, on 3 different uSD Sandisk cards with always the same CE 9.2.1 on eMMC and SPI boot works without problem. Even tried with the older Petitboot 20191105 version, also no problem with auto or manual start...
These users thanked the author Sholander for the post:
Newbie_from_NJ (Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:26 am)

minoccio

Post by minoccio »

@tobetter: Is It possibile that petitboot doesnt work with Samsung Evo (plus) uSD? Tested 32 GB and 64 GB

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

minoccio wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:40 pm
@tobetter: Is It possibile that petitboot doesnt work with Samsung Evo (plus) uSD? Tested 32 GB and 64 GB
Let me find out Samsung EVO in the office, but I would like to know the colour of them.

Cosmicbase
languages_spoken: german

Post by Cosmicbase »

Hello, I was about to turn on my Odroid N2 but it doesn't boot.
No picture either.
Can it be that the petiboot is broken?

Could you help me please !
Gruß / Greatings Cosmicbase
Ich bin nicht blöd, auch wenn ich nur so tue! :lol:

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Cosmicbase wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:59 pm
Hello, I was about to turn on my Odroid N2 but it doesn't boot.
No picture either.
Can it be that the petiboot is broken?

Could you help me please !
Do you have RED LED or blinking BLUE led after power up?
Have you used the Petitboot but suddenly it goes away?
If your board is not damaged but SPI flash memory is gone, you can use the RECOVERY image that boots from uSD in order to refresh the SPI memory.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... overy_mode
Cosmicbase (Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:29 am)

Cosmicbase

Post by Cosmicbase »

Do I only have to flash the spiupdate .... img onto an empty uSD card with Balena Etcher?
And then switch on mmc and card in?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Cosmicbase wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 am
Do I only have to flash the spiupdate .... img onto an empty uSD card with Balena Etcher?
Yes, the Recovery image itself will boot up and start to flash SPI memory instantly. It would take a couple of minutes.

Cosmicbase

Post by Cosmicbase »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:26 am
Cosmicbase wrote:
Yes, the Recovery image itself will boot up and start to flash SPI memory instantly. It would take a couple of minutes.
And do I have to rename spiupdate ... img to spiboot.img?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Cosmicbase wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:28 am
tobetter wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:26 am
Cosmicbase wrote:
And do I have to rename spiupdate ... img to spiboot.img?
Nope, just flash the image to empty sdcard with Etcher, not copying the file. The recovery image must be booted from it.

Cosmicbase

Post by Cosmicbase »

Do you have RED LED or blinking BLUE led after power up?

Only in SPI Switch position.

Cosmicbase

Post by Cosmicbase »

Which recovery version i have to use?
There are some versions.

spibios or spiupdate?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Cosmicbase wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:42 am
There are some versions.

spibios or spiupdate?
Please do flash this image.
https://dn.odroid.com/S922X/ODROID-N2/S ... 408+85.img
Cosmicbase (Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:28 am)

Cosmicbase

Post by Cosmicbase »

tobetter wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:53 am
Cosmicbase wrote:
There are some versions.

spibios or spiupdate?
Wait a minute. Work in Progress.
I see great activity with red and blue LEDs.
I don't see any Picture on TV.
Does it take a little longer?

minoccio

Post by minoccio »

tobetter wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:55 pm
minoccio wrote:
Let me find out Samsung EVO in the office, but I would like to know the colour of them.
White / orange, model Evo plus.

Cosmicbase

Post by Cosmicbase »

Cosmicbase wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 am
tobetter wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:53 am
Cosmicbase wrote:
There are some versions.

spibios or spiupdate?
Wait a minute. Work in Progress.
I see great activity with red and blue LEDs.
I don't see any Picture on TV.
Does it take a little longer?
It was probably my mistake.
Either the HDMI switch or AVR did not switch properly.
Therefore no booting and no output.
Blue heartbeat LED worked.
So I was sure that it was booting properly.
Everything works properly again.

Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

minoccio wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:01 pm
Have you changed the value setenv display_autodetect from "true" to "false" in boot.ini?

Edit: I tested a Samsung evo plus 32 GB SDHC (sorry, was the only I had) with same results of Samsung evo 64 GB SDXC
Not that I know of.... as I don't know how to change that.

Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

Sholander wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:14 pm
In your case, I'd try with older Petitboot versions, spiboot-20191112 and spiboot-20191105 to see if it works then.
Going to give this a go. Will report update soon.

minoccio

Post by minoccio »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:22 pm
minoccio wrote:
Put the uSD in your PC . Edit the file "boot.ini" that you find on the uSD. find the line setenv display_autodetect and change the value "true" to "false"
These users thanked the author minoccio for the post:
Newbie_from_NJ (Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:31 am)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

minoccio wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:07 pm
Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:22 pm
minoccio wrote:
Put the uSD in your PC . Edit the file "boot.ini" that you find on the uSD. find the line setenv display_autodetect and change the value "true" to "false"
Another tip since Petitboot v20191127 is to run ODROID-N2 as USB storage, this way won't make you attach/detach the memory card whenever you need to change the boot.ini.
1. Connect a micro USB cable to the OTG port on ODROID-N2 and connect to PC.
2. Boot up Petitboot and get into the shell command line.
3. Run ums <memory/card>, then the memory card will appear to your PC as a removable disk.
4. Change the boot.ini and do disconnect the disk from the PC.
5. Do run ums command without a parameter.
6. Back to Petitboot.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
minoccio (Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:09 pm) • Newbie_from_NJ (Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:31 am)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

minoccio wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:04 am
tobetter wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:55 pm
minoccio wrote:
White / orange, model Evo plus.
I confirm that Samsung EVO+ fails on Petitboot, let me have a couple of days to find out the reason and fix.
Thank you.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 3):
minoccio (Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:07 pm) • Newbie_from_NJ (Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:31 am) • binhex (Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm)

Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

Here are the results of downgrading Petitboot:

1. I installed version 20190705. The way I downgraded from 20191127 to 20190705, was by placing spiboot.img on uSD that was FAT32 formatted, turned off N2, Put SPI switch on left, turned on N2 and restarted it. The installation was recognized, and I received a successful install output. EXCEPT, this broke Petitboot! I was no longer able to boot Petitboot when SPI switch was on the left.

2. I proceeded to fix Petitboot, by downloading an even older version, 20190417, and flashed it as a recovery image onto uSD via Etcher. Turned off N2, Put SPI switch on RIGHT and restarted it. Intallation was recognized, and Petitboot was installed and it started working once again. Except, this version wouldn’t recognize any drives at all. The usual menu would come up, but WITHOUT any drives shown (CoreELEC/Android)

3. I then installed 2019705 again, via update method (placing spiboot.img on uSD) and restarted N2 with SPI switch on Left. Installation was successful and this time, voila! Now I have a dual boot setup. Petitboot now displays CoreELEC and android drives and can boot both operating systems. More details on this… as I got different results testing both, the Sandisk uSD and the Samsung Evo uSD.
a. Sandisk 64GB uSD: CoreELEC boots fine from eMMC AND android boots fine, however, I get a pop-up notification (android's upper right corner) that there is an error with the uSD card being used.
b. Samsung Evo 64GB uSD: CoreELEC boot fine from eMMC, but android does not boot. All I get is a blank screen and blue LED on board flashes.

4. I do have yet another Sandisk 8GB uSD… the one that came with the ODROID. I will probably flash android on this tonight to see if android gives me any errors or not.

So, where do I proceed from here? What are your recommendations? Are there any benefits to trying to update Petitboot to newer versions when this one is working?

ON A SIDE NOTE:
Booting Petitboot 20190417, would trigger my TV to display the HDR logo on upper right corner of TV. The resolution of Petitboot showed all its menu fonts very tiny.
Botting Petitboot 20190705, no longer triggers my TV to display the HDR logo on upper right corner of TV. The resolution of Petitiboot shows all its menu fonts pretty big now. So big, that the bottom, left commands are no longer displayed on my screen.
Last edited by Newbie_from_NJ on Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bubblefish0815

Post by Bubblefish0815 »

Hello from Austria

I flashed my new N2 Spi at first with rcovery img , then the latest update img - no troubles flashing and no errors.

My Hardware : N2 - LCD 4K ( tested Samsung and Philipps ) - uSD with emuelec , emmc with coreelec , USB with linux , SSD also with coreelec.

Emmc mode = I can boot emmc or usd card quickly
SPI mode
* LogoHardkernel
* Bootmenue ( normal size letters , but the first one and two letters are cut off on the left
* I see the bootmenue , 4 differt ( emuelec , coreelec emmc , coreelec ssd and linux on usb

my problem is - I can boot - but the LCD is dark - ( no Logo or anything ) , than the message from my LCD on screen HDMI connexted , and on my receiver the status led for connect.

Thats all - but the N2 works , and wenn I switch off / on the LCD - it works and - linux , ce or emuelec works.

I read here all about troubles and tested in coreelec boot.ini to change
# Display Auto Detection
# "false" or "true"
setenv display_autodetect "false"
setenv hdp false

no change , tested on 2 differt LCDs

( excuse bad english , thanks for help )

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:55 am

3. I then installed 2019705 again, via update method (placing spiboot.img on uSD) and restarted N2 with SPI switch on Left. Installation was successful and this time, voila! Now I have a dual boot setup. Petitboot now displays CoreELEC and android drives and can boot both operating systems. More details on this… as I got different results testing both, the Sandisk uSD and the Samsung Evo uSD.
a. Sandisk 64GB uSD: CoreELEC boots fine from eMMC AND android boots fine, however, I get a pop-up notification (android's upper right corner) that there is an error with the uSD card being used.
That is "normal" because I get this notification with all 4 different Android/LOS images I used last couple of days.

With 2019705 ver., do you get repeated (double) boot to Petitboot before any selected OS starts, as I get with 20191112 and 20191127 versions ?

IIRC version 2019705 saves selected settings to uSD card, and only newer versions save settings to flash memory. Don't remember with which version saving to settings flash started...

Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

Sholander wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:07 am
Newbie_from_NJ wrote:

That is "normal" because I get this notification with all 4 different Android/LOS images I used last couple of days.

With 2019705 ver., do you get repeated (double) boot to Petitboot before any selected OS starts, as I get with 20191112 and 20191127 versions ?

IIRC version 2019705 saves selected settings to uSD card, and only newer versions save settings to flash memory. Don't remember with which version saving to settings flash started...
Oh good to know it’s not just me. For a minute there, thought my card was corrupted. I too, am using Android LOS.

Yes, I’m also getting double boots of Petitboot on both operating systems. By that, I mean, Petitboot comes up on screen, I select an OS, a blank screen appears, and Petitboot shows up again. This second time, the OS I originally selected boots properly.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:51 pm
Sholander wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:07 am
Newbie_from_NJ wrote:

Oh good to know it’s not just me. For a minute there, thought my card was corrupted. I too, am using Android LOS.

Yes, I’m also getting double boots of Petitboot on both operating systems. By that, I mean, Petitboot comes up on screen, I select an OS, a blank screen appears, and Petitboot shows up again. This second time, the OS I originally selected boots properly.
Are you guys meaning that ODROID-N2 boots again before selecting an OS on Petitboot boot menu?
Like Power up -> Petitboot menu -> Reset -> Petitboot menu -> Select -> Target OS?

Newbie_from_NJ

Post by Newbie_from_NJ »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:23 pm
Are you guys meaning that ODROID-N2 boots again before selecting an OS on Petitboot boot menu?
Like Power up -> Petitboot menu -> Reset -> Petitboot menu -> Select -> Target OS?
Here's a video for your review:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/in9j9habth5lu ... 3.MOV?dl=0

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

Newbie_from_NJ wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:07 pm
tobetter wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:23 pm
Here's a video for your review:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/in9j9habth5lu ... 3.MOV?dl=0
The Petitboot menu in 14"~18" is not rebooting, it is just the dummy Petitboot menu while the target OS initiates the display memory which is not cleaned up.

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

It's different in my case.

As you wrote above: Like Power up -> Petitboot menu -> Reset -> Petitboot menu -> Select -> Target OS

The same menu appears twice and both times it last a couple of seconds (I set 2" wait time) and both times on the bottom of the screen the massage is the same - Performing KEXEC Reboot (or something like that) and after that the selected OS starts.

When in Petitboot I disable Autostart and manually select OS, then it boots (normally) directly to that selection without repeating/rebooting to Petitboot screen.

Sav
ODROIDs: odroid-n2

Post by Sav »

About the problems with some sd cards, I use these and they all work.
I have hardkernel's Ubuntu on Samsung evo, Corelec on Sandisk Extreme pro and I use Sandisk Extreme A2 when I want to test something new.
I also have armbian on a lexarr 633x and android on emmc.
I use the penultimate petitboot version.

Inviato dal mio GM1913 utilizzando Tapatalk

binhex

Post by binhex »

@sav i have a very similar (if not the same) Samsung evo 64GB card as you, and it will not boot LineageOS ATV when used with petitboot, in fact it doesnt even show up as a bootable device in petitboot so i cant select it. i have tried flashing with etcher and with w32 disk imager and both didnt work for me, so ive ordered a sandisk micro sd card, which apparently work.

Interesting thing to note is that i CAN boot from Samsung Evo when EmuELEC is written to the card, petitboot then allows me to choose it as a bootable device, seems related to Android perhaps.

Sav

Post by Sav »

binhex wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:14 pm
@sav i have a very similar (if not the same) Samsung evo 64GB card as you, and it will not boot LineageOS ATV when used with petitboot, in fact it doesnt even show up as a bootable device in petitboot so i cant select it. i have tried flashing with etcher and with w32 disk imager and both didnt work for me, so ive ordered a sandisk micro sd card, which apparently work.

Interesting thing to note is that i CAN boot from Samsung Evo when EmuELEC is written to the card, petitboot then allows me to choose it as a bootable device, seems related to Android perhaps.
Does the EVO sd card work with other images?
I rather have android on emmc for performance, so I didn't investigate. I only tried once Lineage ATV on the sandisk A2 and it was recognized by petiboot, altough in the end I was forced to remove the emmc with my base android system (Lineage 16 64 bit) because only the latest booted. I don't know why, maybe petiboot is confused by 2 systems having the same label (Android pie 64bit) and it starts the first, no matter the disk choosed.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

There are problems if the partition uuids are not unique

binhex

Post by binhex »

Sav wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:05 am
Does the EVO sd card work with other images?
EmuELEC boots ok, thats the only other image i have tried.

Sav

Post by Sav »

Have you tried to download again the self install image?

binhex

Post by binhex »

Sav wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:29 am
Have you tried to download again the self install image?
yes, several times, just for the record i downloaded the image from https://oph.mdrjr.net/voodik/S922X/ODRO ... .0-64-ATV/

Return to “Projects”