[OS] Debian Stretch

dominic
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread post by dominic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 am

Have buster now running for quite some time and no bigger issues yet. Therfore a big thanks already maveric!

So far only one smaller thing I haven't found a solution yet. If I restart the server php7.3-fqm does not start properly because the folder '/run/php' is not automatically created but is needed to place the pid and sock files. The folder should be created automatically after each start by systemd. There is even the necessary configuration available in '/user/lib/tmpfiles.d'. No glue what the issue is.

Creating the folder manually and starting php7.3-fqm works. But it'd be nice to have a solution without me tampering around.

chromodoris
ODROIDs: HC1, HC2

Unread post by chromodoris » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 am

Hi all,

I have also switched to buster since a few weeks and got no unsolvable problems... except one.
I use shorewall and shorewall6 for my firewall settings and shorewall6 won't start. The
reason is that it now calls ip6tables-restore with option --icmpv6-type which is unknown. According
to https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=915627, it seems related to the kernel being
too old.

Are there plans to updates kernels to 4.19? If not, is it possible to install a vanilla kernel from Debian
on HC1/HC2 boards?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 am

dominic wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 am
Have buster now running for quite some time and no bigger issues yet. Therfore a big thanks already maveric!

So far only one smaller thing I haven't found a solution yet. If I restart the server php7.3-fqm does not start properly because the folder '/run/php' is not automatically created but is needed to place the pid and sock files. The folder should be created automatically after each start by systemd. There is even the necessary configuration available in '/user/lib/tmpfiles.d'. No glue what the issue is.

Creating the folder manually and starting php7.3-fqm works. But it'd be nice to have a solution without me tampering around.
php7.3-fpm comes by default with an init.d script for sysvinit. If you're using systemd instead you should enable the php7.3-fpm.service for systemd.

Code: Select all

systemctl enable php7.3-fpm.service
systemctl start php7.3-fpm.service
as you said it should take care of creating /run/php/php7.3-fpm.pid
I haven't tried it myself though, so I can only ask if you tried that already?

Systemd can use /etc/init.d/ services as a legacy support, but there is no guarantee that they will work correctly and I'd rather rely on the systemd service files instead.
chromodoris wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 am
Hi all,

I have also switched to buster since a few weeks and got no unsolvable problems... except one.
I use shorewall and shorewall6 for my firewall settings and shorewall6 won't start. The
reason is that it now calls ip6tables-restore with option --icmpv6-type which is unknown. According
to https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=915627, it seems related to the kernel being
too old.
I can't reproduce the issue. Shorewall6 starts normally for me on Debian Buster.
Maybe it depends on the configuration?
chromodoris wrote:
Are there plans to updates kernels to 4.19?
I use the Kernel provided by HardKernel which is currently Kernel 4.14. As long as HardKernel does not update neither will I.
I think everyone is currently waiting for a new LTS Kernel release as most of the features for the board is already upstream and the rest is hopefully "easy" to implement.
chromodoris wrote:
If not, is it possible to install a vanilla kernel from Debian
on HC1/HC2 boards?
Not sure, it might work, since you're only using HC1/HC2 I assume you don't need features like HDMI output or GPU support, therefore a "vanilla" Kernel might work for you.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
goldencoin5 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

chromodoris
ODROIDs: HC1, HC2

Unread post by chromodoris » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:51 am

meveric wrote:Not sure, it might work, since you're only using HC1/HC2 I assume you don't need features like HDMI output or GPU support, therefore a "vanilla" Kernel might work for you.
It worked!

I just had to have

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
in my /etc/apt/sources.list configuration file, and run the two commands

aptitude install linux-image-4.19.0-5-armmp
cp /usr/lib/linux-image-4.19.0-5-armmp/exynos5422-odroid* /boot
The second command was needed because the post-install scripts for vanilla kernels do create the proper uInitrd and zImage
files automatically, but do not put the .dtb files there. As the boot.ini file loads all three files (uInitrd, zImage and one of the
.dtb file), I had to make sure everything was in place before rebooting.

After that, I rebooted and my board started flawlessly with the 4.19 kernel. This did solve my shorewall6 problem.

Thanks for your advice! :D

dominic

Unread post by dominic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 am

meveric wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 am
If you're using systemd instead you should enable the php7.3-fpm.service for systemd.
Good hit. Systemd service was enabled but the creation of the temp folder was missing in the script. Added and now runs as expected. Thanks!

secureexp
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by secureexp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 am

Thanks meveric for the image. All of a sudden Kodi and MPV won't play movies. The framerate is really slow, but if I run FFPlay from terminal it plays back fine. Loading the movie into Chromium works as well. Movies did play back until I did a dist-upgrade it seems. I tried reinstalling Kodi, MPV and FFmpeg and still same issue. Any ideas?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 am

check the log of Kodi, there weren't any changes on the Image or Kodi lately so I doubt that's the issue... Maybe it's missing some drivers.
Maybe you have to reinstall malit628-odroid (GPU drivers).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

secureexp

Unread post by secureexp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks meveric. I ended up flashing the eMMC card and starting over. Video playback is fine in MPV again. One thing I noticed is that in LibreOffice, the tool bar has white icons. The outline of the icon is there, but no color.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-08-25 15-04-48.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-25 15-04-48.png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Last edited by secureexp on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:03 am

yes this is a long standing issue which was not resolved. Probably some issues with the alpha channel.
To my knowledge there's currently no solution for that. Some say using a different theme can help but I can't confirm this.

It seems to be fine in Debian Buster though.
Maybe if you install LibreOffice from stretch-backports it will work under Stretch as well.

apt install -t stretch-backports libreoffice

secureexp

Unread post by secureexp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:18 am

I got the icons back. I tried installing the backport like you recommended, but same issue for me. I completely removed LibreOffice:

apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean
Reinstalled it:

apt-get install libreoffice
apt-get install libreoffice-gtk3
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-08-26 17-26-27.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-26 17-26-27.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 2168 times

secureexp

Unread post by secureexp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 am

Also working Firefox too.

apt-get remove firefox*
Download newer version here: https://github.com/jdonald/firefox-armh ... _armhf.deb

then

dpkg -i firefox_65.0+build2-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_armhf.deb
Works for me.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi,

@meveric
I have used setup-odroid to move rootfs to hdd. I then resized the lvm 'partitions'. Is it possible to use setup-odroid to reverse the process? ie move rootfs back to mmc?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:48 am

Currently this is not possible.

You can boot from eMMC again by simply altering the boot.ini and set the rootfs back to eMMC but if you need the new data from HDD back to eMMC you need to copy it manually.
Please Note: if you updated the Kernel after you moved the rootfs to HDD the eMMC does not have the new Kernel modules and you either need to copy /lib/modules/<Kernel Version> on the eMMC or install the older Kernel again

ab1jx

Unread post by ab1jx » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:43 am

ldconfig doesn't get run every time you boot? I suppose it's an individual preference, but it was a surprise, I've gotten used to it happening.

i wanted to clear my /etc/ld.so.cache so I renamed it and rebooted. Had to do touch on it to recreate it. Rebooted again. It was still empty until I ran ldconfig manually.

secureexp

Unread post by secureexp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 am

I think I broke something. Wanted to watch some movies tonight but mpv wouldn't load, kodi wouldn't load.

mpv says: mpv: error while loading shared libraries: libEGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

kodi says: /usr/local/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGLESv2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:14 pm

seems like GPU drivers are not working...
try:

apt-get install --reinstall malit628-odroid

secureexp

Unread post by secureexp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks for the response meveric. I had tried that but it didn't work. What happened was pkg glx-alternatives got installed somehow. Removing that did the trick. My libEGL output looked like:

odroiduser@odroidxu4:/$  find /usr/lib -iname libegl*
/usr/lib/chromium/libEGL.so
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1.1.0
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1.0.0

aberrio
ODROIDs: XU4,HC2

Unread post by aberrio » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:51 am

meveric wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:19 am
If rootdelay is the only thing that is required to fix your issue then yes, editing boot.ini should be all that is needed.
I don't think there should be any requirement to format HDD again.
There is always a way to use an older kernel instead, or changing settings or something. If the system booted from HDD successful at one time. There shouldn't be any need to format the HDD again. Every issue should be solvable without reformatting HDD.

Although it might require a different Linux system to access HDD or SD to fix the issue.
Finally I was able to fix this problem for good and at the same time upgrade to buster.

There a two test server working with buster. Do I need the linux-image and the heather odroid for something?

Regards

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:54 am

linux-image is the Kernel.. without it the ODROID won't boot.
linux-headers are development headers, they are needed if you want to build Kernel Modules, such as WLAN drivers for example.

I already have a testing image for Buster.... it's already officially supported in my repository.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:57 am

Hi,

I removed images and headers with -odroid- in the name and both servers are. Booting from HD do far, using buster one using .28 and the other .87.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:08 am

the one with odroid in the name are meta packages and are responsible that you get the latest Kernel/Header updates.
We are at .141 by now not 28 not 87, that is what the ones with the odroid do.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:40 am

Thus the only way u can transfer to hd on hc2 boards. The meta packages looks not compatible

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:03 pm

Most of my ODROIDs run from HDD, it's working perfectly fine. The meta packages are only there to make sure the system downloads the latest version of the Kernel.
It has nothing to do with compatibility.
It's more likely you do not have mounted the boot partition of the SD card correctly and therefore the Kernel update does not work.
Once again there is no such thing as "compatibility" of meta packages. They only download the latest version of the Kernel.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:55 am

Hi,

Even using setup-odroid to transfer to hd did not work eith the latest image, works fine with .28+ kernel. I tried to pull the errors with uart but those devices stop working after a while, the ic overheated and stop working, I purchased three of them. I used the different computers all with usb2 ports

The latest imagf does not work with hc2 I have to use .28+ in order to transfer to hd and have the device operational

rs677567

Unread post by rs677567 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am

Hey,

Is Debian buster in a usable state in your opinion? I don't mind if some applications that need to be specifically set up for the Odroid, like maybe kodi, don't work. I just want to be able to use KDE and have GPU acceleration available without too many issues and preferably on buster.

I am currently trying to set up the Odroid as a desktop replacement just to see how it is. Is full disk encryption feasible on the Odroid XU4 with your image and also generally? Right now I have a Samsung EVO sdcard, but I'm going to replace it with an SSD in the near future. I'll connect it with a USB 3.0 cable that uses the same chip as the bridge board offered by Hardkernel (JMS578) so the hard drive performance should be better. Or is setting up full disk encryption going to be too much of a pain and still possibly have performance issues?

Last question: does your setup have an option to help with setting full disk encryption up and/or moving the base system onto a different drive (like the SSD)?

I'll give your image another spin one of these days when I find the time 8-).

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm

rs677567 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am
Hey,

Is Debian buster in a usable state in your opinion? I don't mind if some applications that need to be specifically set up for the Odroid, like maybe kodi, don't work. I just want to be able to use KDE and have GPU acceleration available without too many issues and preferably on buster.
Yes Buster should work fine. Although I haven't uploaded a image for buster yet it should work fine if you update from Stretch to Buster.
I've already ported many applications to Buster (including Kodi^^).
You probably have to install qt5-xu3-fix which is a package I made to fix the issue with Qt5 where it can't find visual.
To be honest I haven't tried KDE yet though.
rs677567 wrote:
I am currently trying to set up the Odroid as a desktop replacement just to see how it is.
I normally use MATE Desktop for this which works rather fast and nice, although it doesn't have 3D effects like KDE.
rs677567 wrote:
Is full disk encryption feasible on the Odroid XU4 with your image and also generally? Right now I have a Samsung EVO sdcard, but I'm going to replace it with an SSD in the near future. I'll connect it with a USB 3.0 cable that uses the same chip as the bridge board offered by Hardkernel (JMS578) so the hard drive performance should be better. Or is setting up full disk encryption going to be too much of a pain and still possibly have performance issues?
The AES support for XU4 is ok but not very fast you limit yourself to about 60MB/sec disk performance.
rs677567 wrote:
Last question: does your setup have an option to help with setting full disk encryption up and/or moving the base system onto a different drive (like the SSD)?
No option for encryption but there is an option to move the OS to an HDD/SSD.

rs677567

Unread post by rs677567 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Overall I must say your image is really nice. Upgrade from stretch to buster was seamless and I haven't encountered anything that would be caused by the upgrade.
meveric wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm
You probably have to install qt5-xu3-fix which is a package I made to fix the issue with Qt5 where it can't find visual.
To be honest I haven't tried KDE yet though.
Unfortunately your setup script doesn't install qt5-xu3-fix, so sddm just displays a black screen with the default cursor. It took me a bit to figure out why sddm wasn't working because it seemed like a typical X configuration issue at first glance. After installing the fix it is possible to use sddm and log in and use the desktop. Interestingly enough, compositing works and the performance is good, but kwin seems to corrupt the default panel with graphical artifacts after a while of using it. I didn't investigate that any further and I just disabled compositing.
meveric wrote:
I normally use MATE Desktop for this which works rather fast and nice, although it doesn't have 3D effects like KDE.
I tried MATE but KDE without compositing seems to be a lot more snappier overall.
meveric wrote:
The AES support for XU4 is ok but not very fast you limit yourself to about 60MB/sec disk performance.
No option for encryption but there is an option to move the OS to an HDD/SSD.
60MB/sec is pretty slow. Hmm I guess I can live without it and just encrypt my important documents manually, but I will be testing the performance once my USB to SATA cable arrives from China. The option to move it to an HDD/SSD is pretty nice, I will make use of it.

schallee
ODROIDs: C2 XUL4

Unread post by schallee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:04 am

@rs677567

Setting up a luks root isn't that difficult even on SBCs as Debian's support is quite good (as long as you aren't using key scripts for containers opened automatically after the initramfs as systemd flatly doesn't support it). As long as you're using an initrd (whch meveric;s do) basically you need the new root fs set up and do an update initramfs. First you create a copy of the root filesystem on a luks formatted and encrypted block device. Usually on an sbc I'll split the eemc's root partition and make that the new root. Then you need to chroot mount it along with /sys,/proc/dev/,/boot,etc. Setup /etc/fstab,/etc/crypttab,etc correctly for the new root. Finally you need to run update-initramfs for your kernel and reboot.

Although that is basically what needs to be done it is in no ways a tutorial. I've done it more times than I care to count and I still usually mess something up. Make sure you have backups;) There are tutorials for doing so online for other sbcs or even pcs that can be adapted fairly readily.

schallee

Unread post by schallee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:14 am

@meveric Thanks for all your work on your debian images. I certainly appreciate it.

I was thinking to try out setting up kvm on a xu4 which has a buster updated stretch image on it. I didn't see a kernel image in your repo that had kvm enable. Before I run off and build one I thought I'd just ask if I just didn't see it.

Incidentally, I started to try one of the debian kernels that does have kvm but the image, initrd and uintrd are actually too big for the boot partition. It might be worth making it larger on future images. Everything seems to get bigger. Even bigger might be better one of the most common failure for updates on my systems are boot filling up when a new kernel is added as previous updates hadn't been removed and there wasn't space for 3 kernels & associated files.

Thanks!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:44 am

Yes the filling boot partition is an issue since the Kernel 4.x sadly when I created the Stretch image I was still using the same base image and only replaced the rootfs.
In newer images I already work with larger bootfs partitions and will do so on the Debian Buster image, if I ever find the time to release it.

Regarding KVM, I haven't tried it yet, I know there is a .dtb file for KVM support that should be part of the Kernel, but I don't think the Kernel itself has KVM activated by default, nor have I ever tried it myself.
rooted (Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am)

schallee

Unread post by schallee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:10 am

Yeah, the dtb is definitely there but it's not enabled in the config. I can build one. Thanks!

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am

meveric wrote:Yes the filling boot partition is an issue since the Kernel 4.x sadly when I created the Stretch image I was still using the same base image and only replaced the rootfs.
In newer images I already work with larger bootfs partitions and will do so on the Debian Buster image, if I ever find the time to release it.
Yes this is an issue I've ran into way too many times, I really need to redo my partitions but I hate messing with a setup working so nicely for a couple of years now.

That's why I love Debian, 'mission critical' devices just keep on running flawlessly with the occasional reboot for kernel upgrades.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:40 pm

If you plugin the eMMC/SD Card in another Linux box you can resize the rootfs and bootfs with gparted, no big deal.
Resizing it on the fly is much much harder, although I've done that as well, but should work as well, just I don't suggest it, gparted is the better solution.
rooted (Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:44 pm)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:46 pm

meveric wrote:If you plugin the eMMC/SD Card in another Linux box you can resize the rootfs and bootfs with gparted, no big deal.
Resizing it on the fly is much much harder, although I've done that as well, but should work as well, just I don't suggest it, gparted is the better solution.
I know you can resize non-destructively but I hadn't thought of doing it on my PC, thanks for the idea. I'm going to do that later today.

What size do you use now?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:30 am

I use 250 (256)MB that the original was 64, and was already increased to 128MB so it's another double of the size, which is more than sufficient.
Even at work we rarely use larger boot partitions than 300MB and that is for normal x86 systems.
rooted (Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:25 am)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 am

Pardon my noobness, but what is different from the HK image? Do you store several kernel versions? (By the way - what is the proper way on x86 to tell the system to keep just the last 3 kernels, and not 40?)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:27 am

AFAIK it's the same on HK Ubuntu, unless you remove the previous kernel it doesn't get removed (and shouldn't).

But having a way to keep the last 2 or 3 kernels automatically would be nice, then trim the 3rd oldest before installing the new.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:32 am

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 am
Pardon my noobness, but what is different from the HK image? Do you store several kernel versions? (By the way - what is the proper way on x86 to tell the system to keep just the last 3 kernels, and not 40?)
HardKernel mounts the bootfs in a different folder /media/boot, the Kernel is still installed to /boot but this is on the rootfs and never used. Some post install scripts copy the latest Kernel to /media/boot (only zImage, uInitrd and .dbt files) so you always only have the Kernel on the bootfs, nothing else.
It also means in case something is broken with the Kernel (a Kernel update failed or the Kernel itself doesn't work correctly) you need a Linux system to repair it, while the original design from HK was to have a fat partition for bootfs so you can fix issues even under Windows for example.

I mount bootfs directly into /boot so the installation of the Kernel already takes place on the bootfs and not the rootfs. This includes files that are not directly used, like the initramfs which is generated automatically under Linux and out of which we create the uInitrd.
It also means I use up more space on the bootfs. Which wasn't a big deal under Kernel 3.10 but with 4.9 and 4.14 that changed... Sadly I forgot the change the size of the bootfs, as I noticed this to be an issue only much later.
This also means you can have several Kernels directly on the bootfs and in case something goes wrong you can return to an older version.
Both options have benefits and disadvantages. But my thought is, that the OS expects the /boot to be your boot partition and I rather keep it that way.

Regarding the numbers of Kernels that should be kept. By default two Kernels are kept both on Ubuntu as well as Debian (in some cases it can be three).
Responsible for that is the file: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal which will automatically create a file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels which has a list of the last two installed Kernel. These two will be kept, the rest is allowed to be autoremoved apt autoremove Every time you install a Kernel /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels is generated anew and only the last two will be listed here, which means, the older ones are allowed to be removed automatically.

This works fine on x86 systems and even partly on ODROIDs but since uInitrd is generated by a script "afterwards" it's the only file that will stick with you even if an older Kernel is removed.
(I started working on a script to remove older uInitrd as well, but it's not acting like I want it to. It works when I run it manually but not yet when a Kernel is removed automatically).

Although the above statement is true for my Debian images, I can't say if it's the same for HardKernel's Ubuntu. The generated file is looking for specific names "linux-image...", "linux-headers...", etc.
Since HardKernel is not using these names but named their package linux-odroid-.... it's most likely ignored completely, I'm not even sure if /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal is triggered or not on HardKernels Ubuntu images.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 2):
rooted (Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:16 am) • mad_ady (Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:53 pm)

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Ah, this must be it - I seldomly run apt autoremove. That's why I have 30 kernels on my x86 system...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:13 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm
Ah, this must be it - I seldomly run apt autoremove. That's why I have 30 kernels on my x86 system...
The command I run to do system updates on all my systems (including servers at work) is:

apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade && apt autoremove && apt clean && apt update
apt update - download latest package lists
apt upgrade - install "safe" updates
apt dist-upgrade - install updates of packages with changed dependencies
apt autoremove - remove all package that are no longer needed
apt clean - clear cache and downloaded .deb files during installations/updates (all .deb files are stored under /var/cache/apt/archives/ and can use up lots of disk space)
apt update - get the package list again, since apt clean clears package lists as well
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 3):
mad_ady (Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:35 am) • Gburas (Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:42 pm) • odro-volti (Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:31 pm)

odro-volti
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread post by odro-volti » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Hello again!

My XU4 is doing fine and so the family is growing :-D

Wanted to get a clone of the stretch install by doing a dd on the original and then dd the image to another SD-card (all SandiskUltra 16GB, I have no other...). Finished without errors, I checked that the UUIDS in fstab are the same I get with

blkid
looked good!

On boot I get a short time constant blue light (LAn LEDs blinking, too), then the "heart-beat" blue light and then the blue light turns off. No ssh etc. even after waiting some minutes.

Have no monitor/keyboard in place, so any ideas what might have gone wrong here with the image? The original card boots just fine...

Many thanks in advance!
kind regards

volti

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:19 am

Depending on how you did the backup/restore (e.g. via dd), if the dst card is even a few sectors smaller than the source, it will cause the partition to get corrupted.
Best bet is to use either something like odroid-backup or gparted to shrink the source rootfs so that it fits on the destination.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:31 pm

No, (unfortunately) no sector voodoo here:

On the original card I have:

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 14.9 GiB, 15931539456 bytes, 31116288 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000f1766
And the copy gives:

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 14.86 GiB, 15931539456 bytes, 31116288 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000f1766
And I shrank the / partition on the original system some months ago with gparted to have only 12.8 GB so that there is some buffer for smaller SD cards (see here same thread in June)
kind regards

volti

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 pm

PS: I see in fstab (all on the copied card):

UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859	/	ext4	errors=remount-ro,noatime,discard	0	1
UUID=96C3-9298 					/boot 	vfat	noatime,discard 			0 	2
/dev/md0 /mnt/md0 ext4 defaults,nofail 0 0
In boot.ini

ODROIDXU-UBOOT-CONFIG

# U-Boot Parameters
setenv initrd_high "0xffffffff"
setenv fdt_high "0xffffffff"

# Mac address configuration
setenv macaddr "00:1e:06:61:7a:87

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Basic Ubuntu Setup. Don't touch unless you know what you are doing.
# --------------------------------

setenv bootrootfs "console=tty1 console=ttySAC2,115200n8 root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait ro fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0"

And blkid gives me:

/dev/mmcblk1p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="boot" LABEL="boot" UUID="96C3-9298" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="000f1766-01"
/dev/mmcblk1p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000f1766-02"
Btw: is the MAC for the LAN interface really set in boot.ini? Not from the hardware?
kind regards

volti

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Everything looks good to me. Don't know why it fails. You can try odroid-backup as well...

The mac is set from boot.ini only on XU3, not XU4.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
odro-volti (Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:30 pm)

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:00 pm

I took out the odroid now and booted it with a monitor. I saw normal boot messages for 7.4 sec. then long time nothing and after 39 sec several processor "CPU stopping" and "Exception stack..." messages ending with

end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init! exitcode=0x00007f00
...I trying to dd on another system, see how that works... :-/
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:52 pm

Make sure to dd from a different system not directly on the ODROID.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Definitely. I use opensuse or Debian. Writing the image to the respective computer (SSD) is OK, but trying to write the image back to another SD-card is absurdly slow today, no idea why:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/acbdefg/Desktop/odroNAS1119.img of=/dev/sdf status=progress conv=fsync
12369002496 bytes (12 GB, 12 GiB) copied, 2645 s, 4.7 MB/s 
...and still counting (on a Dell Precision with Xeon processor and an external SD-card reader).

On Debian (Dell Precision notebook with built-in SD-card reader) it's even worse, 676kb/s, more than 4300 s going and only 2.9 GiB copied. What's going wrong here?
kind regards

volti

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:58 pm

After some more tries it worked (same hardware, same image, same SD-card, same dd command). Voodoo time with dd... Strange...

I have now a booting copy of the original SD-card!

Sorry for the troubles.
kind regards

volti

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:30 pm

On one of the copied SD-cards I upgraded to Buster by changing the deb sources. As I'm only using the little machine for ssh, mdadm and samba, would it be save/recommended to upgrade the kernel as described some posts earlier here in this thread?

Or should I wait for an official release?

Many thanks in advance!
kind regards

volti

Return to “Other OS”