New H2 board and one RAM socket has stopped working

MarkO
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

New H2 board and one RAM socket has stopped working

Unread post by MarkO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:28 pm

I have just received a new H2 board. It was setup up with a standard power supply (hardkernel supplied), 2x 8GB RAM (hardkernel supplied), an NVME storage and other temporary HDDs, HDMI to a TV as a screen. The BIOS recognized all the devices, incl 16 GB RAM.
Next, I installed the Linux OS and everything appeared to be correct, I was very happy. Then after about 1 hour, the system froze. The screen image degraded, and the keyboard & mouse stopped working. I had to power the system off and following that it would not restart. I do not recall the status of the LED’s
Having read the forum regarding RAM issues and set out to see if that was the problem. To test this removed all the extra items so that I would only have a bare H2 board, power supply & screen.

Test #1. The 1st 1x 8GB in the lower RAM socket and rebooted, the system went into BIOS.
Test #2. The 2nd 1x 8GB in the lower RAM socket and rebooted, the system went into BIOS.
From this both RAM modules are good.

Test #3. Add the 2nd 8GB to Test #2. So back to using both sockets, 2x 8GB, and the system fails.
Test #4 & #5. Repeated the Test #1 & #2 with the 1x 8GB only in the upper socket and the system fails.
As soon as I put anything in the upper RAM socket the system failed to boot
Test #6. I reassembled the system with the NVME storage, and the system boots and operates properly with either of the 1x 8GB modules in the lower socket.

It appears that there is a failure in the upper RAM socket. Is there anything else I can do to test this before claiming under warranty?

Thanks,
Mark

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: New H2 board and one RAM socket has stopped working

Unread post by odroid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 am

I think you already tried as much as you could.

Please contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a link of this post.
They will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from our web-store directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor/reseller.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
MarkO (Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:52 pm)

Return to “Issues”