PANfrost supports OpenGL 2.1

wallyz21
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2

PANfrost supports OpenGL 2.1

Unread post by wallyz21 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:51 pm

From the article:

https://blogs.gnome.org/engagement/2019 ... -panfrost/
Your project focuses on improving Panfrost’s OpenGL ES 2.0 userspace, we will like to know what this is about, and how it will benefit others?

OpenGL ES 2.0 is the core API for graphics on Arm platforms. Although newer versions of OpenGL ES exist, most software a user will encounter day-to-day can run on OpenGL ES 2.0. By focusing on this API, Panfrost is able to provide a smooth user experience where it counts.

Panfrost uses the open source Mesa implementation of OpenGL ES 2.0 to provide this experience to users. Mesa provides the OpenGL frontend via the common open-source “Gallium” API. Panfrost is a Gallium driver, thus enabling OpenGL ES 2.0 apps to run atop Mali with no proprietary components.

But Panfrost goes further! OpenGL ES is the “embedded subset” of OpenGL, the API used more commonly on Linux. The proprietary userspace drivers only support OpenGL ES, with no support for desktop OpenGL, leaving Linux users forced to specially compile software or use fickle translation layers. Fortunately, Panfrost provides a solution!

Leveraging the power of a strong open-source community via Mesa and Gallium, Panfrost is able to support OpenGL 2.1, a “common denominator” API prevalent on Linux. Other drivers have contributed to the desktop OpenGL support in Mesa and Gallium, and via this shared open-source framework, this work is shared and everyone benefits — including Panfrost users.

In practice, this support means a user running a distribution like Debian can install desktops like GNOME and have acceleration work out of the box. Whereas the proprietary userspace would leave a would-be GNOME user to fend for herself, Panfrost provides a smooth, Linux-first experience.
So given Linux kernel 5.2 provides the enhanced Panfrost kernel drivers and MESA provides OpenGL 2.1 what else is stopping us from having an accelerated desktop?

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Re: PANfrost supports OpenGL 2.1

Unread post by igorpec » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 am

Try: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/11390-l ... ment=85321

I did yesterday on Allwinner H3. It works, but not ready for production.
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:30 am

wallyz21 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:51 pm
So given Linux kernel 5.2 provides the enhanced Panfrost kernel drivers and MESA provides OpenGL 2.1 what else is stopping us from having an accelerated desktop?
The GPU of the N2 is not (yet) supported by Panfrost. The ODROID XU4 might probably the first that has working drivers.
Or the ODROID N1 for the ones that actually have one as it's the same SoC as their main development board the Rock Pi64

Aside from that you might want to check out:

Especially listen to the "timeframe". They are talking about YEARS here, not weeks or months.
The video is from early 2019 (although this is a reupload from September).
You even see them showing off a ODROID XU3 and explaining how they run their test software on it.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 2):
igorpec (Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 am) • xabolcs (Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:14 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

wallyz21
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2

Unread post by wallyz21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Looks like the drivers only go up to T860.

I thought there was meant to be a G71 driver, but I couldn't locate it!

The following link mentions the G series drivers but I looked into MESA and it only covers to T860!

https://linux-sunxi.org/Mali_Open_Source_Driver

Return to “Ubuntu”