ogo-shell: File Browser, Audio Player and Image Viewer

Paspartout
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid go

ogo-shell: File Browser, Audio Player and Image Viewer

Unread post by Paspartout » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:26 am

Hello everyone,

Ever since there was a suggestion for a file manager I started working on one for the odroid-go around three weeks ago now.
After I got simple filebrowsing(no management/modification) working though I focused on something that I desired more than file management.
That is a music/audio playing application with support for modules and maybe also chiptunes.

The application is now in a state where I think it might be useful for you too, especially the ones of you who got an external DAC :)
It currently plays mp3, ogg, flac and module(xm, mod, it and s3m) files but I want to add support for other chiptunes through blarggs game music emu in the next release.

Here is a screenshot of the music player:

You can grab it at as a firmware file from github releases, or take a look at the source code.
I'd appreciate feedback, ideas and bug reports a lot here or as a github issue.
And I also wanna take the opportunity to thank developers like crashoverride and jkent for releasing their code which made developing this easier.

There are still a lot of ideas for improvements and features in my mind(see e.g. this TODO File) but not sure how much time I will spend on these.
Last edited by Paspartout on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Paspartout for the post (total 5):
odroid (Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:04 am) • ripper121 (Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm) • rooted (Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:05 pm) • johannesbehr (Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:22 pm) • mad_ady (Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:32 am)

ripper121
languages_spoken: english

Re: ogo-shell: File Browser and Audio Player

Unread post by ripper121 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Very Cool :)
Maybe you could add some Album Covers, you can copy paste the code from my MP3 Player ;).
viewtopic.php?f=162&t=34429
another cool feature would be a way to add new files via Wifi to the SD card.
viewtopic.php?f=162&t=35893
and a last nice but I think most challenging task to add an Bluetooth Source to use Bluetooth Speaker or Headphones, I havent got it to work, but maybe you can do it.
viewtopic.php?f=162&t=35126

Please add a fw file instead of a zip File in your release https://github.com/Paspartout/ogo-shell/releases
then we can use it with the FW Update tool viewtopic.php?f=162&t=33795

Will test yours asap with the DAC.

johannesbehr
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Unread post by johannesbehr » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Wow!!!!
That is really cool, the MP3 playing works great!
Now I have a base to start my custom mp3-player for my Kids :)

Paspartout

Unread post by Paspartout » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks for your feedback!
ripper121 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:04 pm
Maybe you could add some Album Covers, you can copy paste the code from my MP3 Player ;).
Hm, yeah maybe will do that together with an image viewer since I will need image decoding and scaling then either way.
ripper121 wrote:
another cool feature would be a way to add new files via Wifi to the SD card.
Not sure if I wanna do this in the application. You can easily reboot back to firmware and boot your application using the menu button.
ripper121 wrote:
and a last nice but I think most challenging task to add an Bluetooth Source to use Bluetooth Speaker or Headphones, I haven't got it to work, but maybe you can do it.
Yeah I already have that on my list but not sure how hard it would be.
One thing is that battery life will probably be much worse when using the player as a bluetooth source.
Also I would have to figure out a user friendly way to setup bluetooth pairing and connection.
ripper121 wrote:
Please add a fw file instead of a zip File in your release https://github.com/Paspartout/ogo-shell/releases
Ok done:
https://github.com/Paspartout/ogo-shell ... tag/v0.2.0
johannesbehr wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:23 pm
Wow!!!!
That is really cool, the MP3 playing works great!
Now I have a base to start my custom mp3-player for my Kids :)
Thanks for testing and glad you like it.
The ui code is a bit messy. Will probably refactor it at some point.

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:28 am

Also a good thing for mp3 player would be a display turn off mode and key lock.
This will save a good amount of battery live :)

Paspartout

Unread post by Paspartout » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:04 am

You can already toggle the display by pressing select in the audio player.
But yeah a keylock functionality is needed when having the odroid go in the pocket.

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:51 am

You can combine that with the screen off, because when you can't see anything you don't need the controls

Nemo1984
languages_spoken: english, french

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:39 am

Maybe add a image viewer? Please? :D

johannesbehr

Unread post by johannesbehr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 pm

I would suggest putting viewer/player in separate partitions like it is done with the emulator launchers... Maybe a dynamic configuration (assign a partition to a bunch of extensions) like I added to Pelles launcher would be a great idea... :)

Paspartout

Unread post by Paspartout » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:47 am

ripper121 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:51 am
You can combine that with the screen off, because when you can't see anything you don't need the controls
Not necessarily, you don't have to turn on display just to switch the tracks or change the volume.
Will try to figure something out for the next release.
Nemo1984 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:39 am
Maybe add a image viewer? Please? :D
I will try to include one in the next release too :)
But it will probably just scale the image down though, zooming in together with panning might be a little more complicated to implement.
johannesbehr wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 pm
I would suggest putting viewer/player in separate partitions like it is done with the emulator launchers... Maybe a dynamic configuration (assign a partition to a bunch of extensions) like I added to Pelles launcher would be a great idea... :)
Doing that would complicate things a bit for me though and would make the opening/closing of files a lot slower.
If you wan't to launch the ogo-shell with the music player directly from Pelles launcher we could figure something out though.
Like having a flag and path stored in NVS that will trigger ogo-shell to open that file directly on next boot, similar to how the emulators work.
At some point I also wan't to try launching the emulators from within ogo-shell, but that's at a low priority for now.

lordhardware
ODROIDs: U3
Odroid-W

Unread post by lordhardware » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:46 am

Also on the music player, could you add a function toggle for turning off/on key press registering with a long hold on menu button perhaps?

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 pm

I like it very much with the DAC :).
Could you please add to the Screen Off function also a Keylock? (then I can put it in my pocket)

Will the FW protect the Battery? (So will it automatically turn off if the Voltage gets to low)

Is there a exFAT support?
Looks like the Arduino Lib would support it: https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... fatfs/ff.h
Attachments
20191007_151926.jpg
20191007_151926.jpg (482.23 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Paspartout

Unread post by Paspartout » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:40 pm

ripper121 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 pm
I like it very much with the DAC :).
Could you please add to the Screen Off function also a Keylock? (then I can put it in my pocket)
Glad you like it, I am working on the lock atm and will do another release today or tomorrow.
ripper121 wrote:
Will the FW protect the Battery? (So will it automatically turn off if the Voltage gets to low)
Yes, it should put the esp into deep sleep when battery reaches 3%. Also the led will start blinking when reaching 5% or lower(see this code).
I still have to test the deep sleep functionality though.
ripper121 wrote:
Is there a exFAT support?
Looks like the Arduino Lib would support it: https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... fatfs/ff.h
In theory the fatfs library would support exfat yes, but it is disabled in esp-arduino and esp-idf by default(see ffconf.h)
But I think enabling exfat support just for ogo-shell would be not very sensible since all other odroid-go applications don't support exfat then without recompilation.

Paspartout

Unread post by Paspartout » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:25 am

I just released a new version(v0.3.0) that includes a keylock for the audio player and an image viewer that is able to open small image files.

To toggle the keylock you have to hold the select button longer than 1 second and release it. The led will flash shortly and the backlight gets turned off.

The image viewer can't handle large files(> 500x500 ish) because the libraries usually decode the image into memory. Such large files won't fit into the 4MB the odroid go can use.
It would certainly be possible to optimize the image loading routines to use less memory but I don't have the time and interest to work on that.
These users thanked the author Paspartout for the post:
odroid (Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 am)

kelbot
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ogo-shell: File Browser, Audio Player and Image Viewer

Unread post by kelbot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Awesome work! This looks great. I'm going to load this up tomorrow and try it out. Thank you for sharing.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:18 pm

@Paspartout you should write an article about it for the magazine - when you're happy with the features you've implemented

Paspartout

Unread post by Paspartout » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:43 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:18 pm
@Paspartout you should write an article about it for the magazine - when you're happy with the features you've implemented
That's a good idea, I will consider that. I want to release a v1.0.0 soon with some improvements, bugfixes and one or two more features that I have planned.
After that I will consider to write an article for the magazine.
What's a bit weird though is that there already is an article for my ogo-ftpd server that I built earlier this year, that went in there without my knowledge.
I am fine with that but I hope they won't release this forum post as an article before I finish writing the article.

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am

I tried it out and it is pretty cool. I tried a couple mp3 files and they were heavily distorted. Will try some different ones and see if it is consistent.

Are there any plans to implement even some basic file management like copying/moving/deleting/etc? Building your ftp server in that can be enabled on demand would neat too to be able to add files.

This looks great! I can see a lot of potential and have more ideas but will wait until I've used it a little more.

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:01 pm

kelbot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am
I tried it out and it is pretty cool. I tried a couple mp3 files and they were heavily distorted. Will try some different ones and see if it is consistent.

Are there any plans to implement even some basic file management like copying/moving/deleting/etc? Building your ftp server in that can be enabled on demand would neat too to be able to add files.

This looks great! I can see a lot of potential and have more ideas but will wait until I've used it a little more.
Thats because of the shitty internal ESP32 DAC. If the Sound level is to low, the output is very distorted. Try to turn the volume up to get better sound.
Or even better use an external DAC.

Paspartout

Unread post by Paspartout » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:10 pm

kelbot wrote:
As ripper121 already said, the quality when using the speaker varies on volume and audio file and is a limitation of the internal 8bit dac the odroid uses.
I found that chiptunes sound really good on the speaker though, like these modules from Drozerix.
For the next release I want to integrate the mentioned gme library so you can listen to real tunes from old chips like the atari ones and c64 ones(like this one). I love the sound and creativity these have.

That said, there are some issues regarding mono files and clipping I still have to fix(see issues).
kelbot wrote:
Yes, at least the basic functionality is planned. Things like renaming would need something like an on screen keyboard though.
For the ftp server I am not sure yet. I found some more annoying bugs in it recently. Maybe something like an web/http upload server like the one from ripper121 would be a better choice.
kelbot wrote:
Thanks! Yeah I also have lots of ideas for it, but not enough time to implement all of them.
I would like to clean up the code at some point and write more documentation, so people could have an easier time extending it themself.

kelbot

Unread post by kelbot » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:08 pm

I agree, integrating ripper121's file manager server would be good as well. Thank you for doing what you've done and putting it out there for others. Cheers.

dtrieb
ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Unread post by dtrieb » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:57 am

Would it be possible to listen to a radio station stream? 🤔

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm

There is a web radio player in the m5stack (or something-5 - I'm terrible with names) demo fw...

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:14 pm

mad_ady wrote:There is a web radio player in the m5stack (or something-5 - I'm terrible with names) demo fw...
You remembered correctly

viewtopic.php?t=31705

Return to “Projects”