Car PC with ups3 and charge circuit.

ceapeaewe1
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Has thanked: 0

Car PC with ups3 and charge circuit.

Unread post by ceapeaewe1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:08 pm

It's been a while since I started on working with the Odroid C2 and ups3 for my Jeep Computer. I have successfully achieved success and not only have a working computer but I have created a charge circuit for those brief trips to the store, which drain the ups3. The problem with the ups3 is in order to charge the unit the power must be cycled off and power must be provided to charge. Then you must have the switch in the on position on start up. My solution was "EAZY-VLC dual relay plc " there is learning curve to this controller, but it works great once you get the hang of it. This unit allows you car battery to charge the ups when you are not driving. So...heres the sequence of start up: Start the car both relays are in the NC(normally closed) position then the C2 powers up....
(I had to remove the switch from the ups3 board and solder 3 leads to the board : C (common) NC, and NO( normally open), then I hooked them up to relay A on the board ( this allows the programmed relay to turn off the ups3) Now the shutdown: now I turn off the ignition off relay B is programmed to open the NC relay and cut the power to the C2. Now the shutdown scipt on the c2 provides proper shutdown. After a short programmed time relay A shuts off the ups3 and then relay B turns the power back on to the ups3 so it can charge. When the car starts relay A will go back to the NC position and start up again. This plc can be purchsed on ebay or other online stores..just dont search for easy-VLC, its EAZY-VLC. The only other issue I had was the script. I think the script is great for power failures, but not effective for an automatic shutdown circuit in a car. I deleted the part of the script that deals with sensing low voltage,and just left it as :if there is no dc and senses no power adapter just simply shut down. Let me know what you think.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Car PC with ups3 and charge circuit.

Unread post by odroid » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:56 pm

It seems to be a smart power solution for Car PC.
Is this item identical to what you tested?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32246031900.html

ceapeaewe1

Unread post by ceapeaewe1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 am

Yes, it looks like the same plc.The trick is getting the timing just right. Good luck

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am

Okay.

ceapeaewe1

Unread post by ceapeaewe1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:41 am

Update on shutdown circuit. The UPS3 module is not very durable.Not durable enough for a 105° day. The battery basically fried itself. So I went back to the "drawing board". I had a mausberry circuit I purchased a while back. With a few modifications and relocating the c2 to a cooler place.I edited the script and i got the shutdown to work but the mausberry circuit would not turn the power off correctly. And due to that would not power on without a power cycle of the mausberry circuit. I again used the 'Eazy vlc" plc to cycle power.It worked for a while.Then the mausberry circuit just stopped working.This is when I figured it out. The mausberry circuit, under running conditions requires an active low or the c2 will shutdown. So I simply put a wire on pin 31( or on any standard gpio pin) Add it in its actual value pin 31 = 219.so on the mausberry pi scipt just change the out statement to 219 and in to 214 (make sure to put the correct gpio if different from mine)and just jump pin 31 to ground and. Power up your C2.wait till it boots then pull the ground that is jumped to pin 31.it should shutdown. Then I just used the plc to do this when the igition is turned on and trigger shutdown when it's off. As always make sure you check proper pinout of gpio pins. Use a proper diagram, make sure you are using only gpio pins. And do this at your own risk. This is what solved my problem and made my car computer much more reliable.
Hope this helps somebody.
These users thanked the author ceapeaewe1 for the post:
odroid (Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:51 am)

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”