How to install Youtube Vanced on Odroid-C2. Fresh Install. Update: Just got easier.

LazyBunny
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

How to install Youtube Vanced on Odroid-C2. Fresh Install. Update: Just got easier.

Unread post by LazyBunny » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:51 am

What is YouTube Vanced?
YouTube Vanced is a modded version of YouTube for android. Which has Ad Blocking, as well as lets you configure your default play resolution and auto-play and auto-repeat features. https://vanced.app/
It's WAY worth it. Especially if you like to play youtube videos using Google Assistant.

Why do we need to use this tutorial?
We can't install YouTube Vanced using TWRP, or Magisk. And Youtube must be installed as a system app. IE not from the play store.
Talked with the Youtube Vanced Dev, and he told me of a MUCH easier way of doing this. *facepalmtree*
xfileFIN over at the YouTube Vanced discord. ^_^ I love you.

More Answers/Questions at the bottom.

Don't let the Length of this overwhelm you. It's all pretty easy.

Things you will need:
  • Optional but HIGHLY Recommended: An eMMC Module for your OS, and not a microSD card.
There are MANY steps. But they are quick, and easy, and pretty much fool-proof.
Don't let the number of steps scare you, they're very simple. You're already using an Odroid, so you already have the skills needed for this.

Step 1: Install Android onto your eMMC. or microSD card.
May work on an existing install. Just uninstall any and all google apps that you've installed through the play store, especially youtube, and the Google search app. I was able to upgrade a PICO Install to NANO for the Google app for Google assistant, but since my stock install removes stuff that pico/nano have by default, it may or may not work. Use at your own risk if upgrading.

Step 2: Download OpenGAPPS ARM 6.0 STOCK, If you haven't already. Don't unzip it. https://opengapps.org/
Not ARM64, or x86/x86_64. Don't install it yet, just move onto the next step for now.

Step 3: Download the gapps-config.txt if you haven't already. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vfQQh ... eSELbdyFNm
This gapps-config.txt slims it down so it'll fit. You must have Youtube install as a system app. The google app too, for google assistant, so Pico is bad.

Step 4: Download MiXplorer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attach ... 1563119463

Step 5: Youtube Vanced armeabi-v7a root version, of your choice. White/Dark, or White Black. If you haven't already https://vanced.app/APKs?type=ROOT
Rename your download to Youtube.apk, and create a copy of it, named Youtube2.zip. Extract the ZIP version.
Youtube_version_(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)(vTheme-v2.0.9)-vanced.apk to Youtube.apk

Now the Fun Stuff.

Step 6: Copy the open_gapps-arm-6.0-stock-**********.zip, the gapps-config.txt, the MiXplorer APK, and Youtube.apk and the /lib/ from the extracted youtube2.zip onto a separate thumb drive, or microSD card if you're using an eMMC.

Step 7: Copy the open_gapps zip, the gapps-config.txt, and MiXplorer apk, but NOT the YouTube.apk or /lib/ folder, to your Internal Download folder.
open_gapps-arm-6.0-stock-***********.zip and the gapps-config.txt must be in the same folder.

Step 8: Remove the Thumb Drive/MicroSD card, or what ever you used to transfer the files.

Make sure your Thumb Drive/MicroSD card is removed!

Step 9: Install open_gapps: Open the Odroid Utility, click the little icon in the top right, click Package Install from Storage, and navigate to the Download folder and select the open_gapps-arm-6.0-stock-numbers.zip. It'll ask if you want to proceed. And press Proceed. Let it do it's thing.
It'll only install what it needs, from the gapps-config.txt.

After open_gapps is installed, it'll probably crash while trying to login but what ever, you'll see that Youtube is now installed on your odroid in the app drawer. As well as Google. (The google app, this is good, it means Google Assistant will work right. Even better)

Step 10: Open the Google Play Store, after you log in, Click the 3 bars in the top left, scroll down to Settings, and Click on Auto-Update apps. And Select "Don't auto-update apps" Else you'll have to uninstall updates later, and repeat Steps 12-20 later on. Just manually check for updates every so often, and DON'T update Youtube.

Step 11: Go into your Download and Install MiXplorer by it's APK.

Step 12: Go to Settings -> Apps -> scroll down to Youtube and click Force Stop. Then Click Disable.

Step 13: Check to see that the youtube app is gone from the app drawer.

Step 14: Open MiXplorer, Click the 3 lines in the top left corner and click Root. Supersu will ask if you want to allow Root access. Click grant access forever, then go ahead and grant it access.

Step 15: Go to /System/app/Youtube/ and you should see a single Youtube.apk inside it. Press/hold your finger/mouse on the file until it's selected, then press the Trash/Rubbish-Bin on the top right to Delete it. Yup.. Delete the Youtube.apk

Step 16: Put the thumb drive/mSD back in, In MiXplorer, top left, click the 3 lines, select your device, open it, go to the youtube folder, Hold on the Youtube.apk, tap the lib folder so both are highlighted. And tap the icon that looks like 2 pages next to the rubbish bin in the top right to Copy files.

Step 17: Go back to /System/app/Youtube/ and Click the First Icon in the top right, the Clipboard, and click Copy. And it'll copy the Youtube.apk and the libfolder into /system/app/Youtube/
So it should look like
/system/app/Youtube/Youtube.apk
/System/app/Youtube/lib/armeabi-v7a/ bunch of .so files.

Step 18: After they're done copying, hold your pointer on Youtube.apk, click the 5th icon on the top right, the circle with an ( i ), and click where it lists the permissions. Top 3, first middle, none bottom. Then save.
2.png
2.png (115.75 KiB) Viewed 462 times

Step 19: Reboot your Odroid-C2.

Step 20: Go into your Android's Settings -> Apps -> Youtube, and Enable.
Go into your app drawer, and you should see Youtube Vanced there, with a brand new icon.
Screenshot_20190911-174645.png
Screenshot_20190911-174645.png (229.51 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Block Google Play Store notifications in Sound & Notification settings to block notifications about updating youtube.
Enjoy! Go into your Youtube Settings in the app and down to the Vanced settings. From here you can alter your stuff like Resolution, and ads, and auto-plays.

Answers and Questions:
Why do we need to do it this way?
We need Youtube installed as a system app to replaced it properly with Youtube Vanced. But since we don't have a recovery menu, we can't use TWRP. But this way is still pretty damn easy.

Why not just use the non-root version?
The non-root version is treated as a separate app. It's not even named Youtube Vanced. So it doesn't work with Google Assistant at all.

The gapps-config.txt
The gapps-config.txt It's a bit custom. The whole gapps stock won't fit for some reason, so i have to pick and choose. Anything installed with gapps is installed as a system app. If you need some other stuff installed, for example the google dialer app normally in PICO. You can put it back. https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/ ... nd-Options
But if you get an out of space error while trying to install opengapps, you may need to remove something else, like gmail. And install it separate.
Just don't remove "Search" the Google App listed under nano. or Youtube. If you keep the Google app, and have it install as a system app. You can use Google Assistant with Activate on Voice Match. Because of this, i never recommend people install the PICO gapps. If they must, they should install nano, but use the gapps config to only include the Pico stuff, and Search, from the Nano section.

Using Google assistant with YouTube Vanced is soo nice. "Ok Google, Play Disturbed The sound of silence, on youtube." Without ads.

Can you do this on an older install instead of a fresh install, maybe an install that has Pico or Nano gapps?
Maybe... Just maybe. Uninstall youtube if you installed it through the play store, and then download the stock gapps and the gapps-config.
I didn't have any problems upgrading from pico to stock while testing before i got my emmc. But if it says you don't have enough space. Remove Gmail from the gapps config. and try again.
These users thanked the author LazyBunny for the post:
mad_ady (Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:22 pm)
Apply bunny directly to face.
*Facebun*

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: How to install Youtube Vanced on Odroid-C2. Fresh Install. Update: Just got easier.

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:22 pm

See, you're as lazy as I am mad :D Good job.
For step 10, you can leave auto updates on for all apps, but go to the youtube app and disable it just for that.

LazyBunny
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Re: How to install Youtube Vanced on Odroid-C2. Fresh Install. Update: Just got easier.

Unread post by LazyBunny » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:47 am

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:22 pm
See, you're as lazy as I am mad :D Good job.
For step 10, you can leave auto updates on for all apps, but go to the youtube app and disable it just for that.
I actually didn't know how to do that. But i figured it out.
In the play store, goto the Youtube page, click the 3 dots in the top right, and un-check Enable Auto Updates.

if only i could find a way to hide it from the update list completely, i'll have to look into that.
Apply bunny directly to face.
*Facebun*

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Yes, you need to be careful not to do Update All. Though if you accidentaly do it, it will ask you if you really want to update Youtube. So risk of breaking it is low.

Return to “Android”