N2 4gb Model No Video?

hansolo77
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Been thanked: 0

N2 4gb Model No Video?

Unread post by hansolo77 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:10 am

I just got my N2 4gb model in the mail from Ameridroid yesterday. When I initially went to run the custom beta image currently being developed by RetroArena, I was able to get audio and video through my HDMI. Everything seemed to be working correctly to the best of my knowledge. However, the system crashed so I attempted to reflash the eMMC module back to the original image again. Now whenever I plug the power in, I neither get video or audio through the HDMI. The POWER LED doesn't come on either, but the OS LED does do it's heartbeat. I can can connect the N2 via Putty and WinSCP so the OS is loading, there's just no video. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. I've checked all the connections and everything appears to be solid. I did notice that the sd/emmc switch is getting lifted, nearly snapped from it's solder joints, could this be a problem? I know the HDMI cable is good because I can pull it out of the N2 and plug it into an XU4 right next to it and it works great. I'm bummed because I can't do anything with it without a video signal. I've also already checked the boot.ini and made sure the overrides for HDMI out are configured correctly.

I'm mostly looking for some recommendations and support here. I don't know if there's a software fuse somewhere that's been tripped that I can maybe reverse, or if there's something like a bad sector in the emmc that's blocking the output. I've already attempted to contact Ameridroid for an RMA, but I don't even know if that's something they can do. I know it's the weekend, so they probably haven't gotten the query yet. I also know the 4gb model is on back-order once again. I'm willing to wait if a replacement is necessary. I'm hoping there's something simple I'm just overlooking, but I really feel like it's faulty hardware.

So yeah, any help would be awesome.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: N2 4gb Model No Video?

Unread post by odroid » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 am

If the red LED doesn't lit, 5V power rail could be damaged by uncertain electrical shock and it might affect the HDMI output too.

Can you please take a picture of top side of your board to confirm an RMA?

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:13 am

Sure, any particular area I should focus on?

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:18 am

Just a full picture of the top side. Full-HD resolution must be enough.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:29 am

Not exactly the easiest thing to do. Flash was too glaring. I managed to get 2 half-way decent shots with it.. I also took some with natural lighting (yellowed ones) to try and avoid the glaring flash. Hope at least one of them is clear enough for you.

https://ibb.co/album/fXVCWF

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Thank you for the pictures.

We will contact you within 24 hours.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
hansolo77 (Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 pm)

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:23 am

I've got a post on Facebook in the RetroArena group. One of the members asked what kind of power supply I'm using. The Ameridroid website says the 12v2a power supply is recommended. However, because I had intended to have an external USB hard drive attached, I instead bought the 12v5a supply. Is this not compatible? I can't understand why it wouldn't be. It has the same voltage just more amps. In my Raspberry Pi and XU4 experiences, as long as the voltage is right, you could have 10 amps if you wanted, since the device will only pull what it needs. If this power supply is NOT compatible, I think a disclaimer should be added to the item description on the webshop, stating such, to prevent other users from making the same mistake.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:25 am

PSU should be fine

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:34 am

Taking a suggestion from Facebook, I tested the power supply with a multimeter. I think it's the cause of the problem. Thanks to Hardkernel stepping in, they sent me a replacement N2. But now after seeing this, I'm hesitant to try it. What do you think? It's definitely sending more than 12v..

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 pm

I believe your strange 12V/5A PSU is defective.
If the output voltage is poorly regulated and the output voltage can go up to 18Volt even a very short period, ODROID-N2 could be damaged.
Report this issue to Ameridroid quickly.

Ameridroid

Unread post by Ameridroid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 am

Agreed. That shouldn't be greater than 12.5V. The only power supply that we sell that is 12V/5A is for the RockPro64 from Pine64. We don't list this power supply on the ODROID-N2 accessories, although it should work fine if it is not defective. However, it should still only be sending less than 13V at most, so this one is obviously defective.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 am

Ah, so the power supply I got from AmeriDroid is truly defective then. How do I go about processing an exchange or replacement?

Ameridroid

Unread post by Ameridroid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:40 am

If you have any of your order confirmation emails, you should be able to reply to one of those and tell what your problem is (link to this thread). Or you can use our contact form at https://ameridroid.com/pages/contact

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:08 am

I've already contacted you via the contact link. <shrug>

Another email has just been sent.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:48 am

Excellent customer service here (sarcasm is hard to come across in text, but that WAS sarcasm...). I posted here, was told to contact Ameridroid. I contacted Ameridroid, and they say to make a post here in the forums. I reply back that a post is already here, and I linked here. They reply back HERE saying to contact them again. So I do, AGAIN. 24 hours later, still no response. I've taken matters into my own hands and went to Amazon. I bought a 12v5a 5.5x2.1mm adapter and opted for the 24-hour pickup. I've just got home from picking it up. I tested the power supply and strangely, it has roughly the same voltage indicated as the "faulty" one. So maybe my multimeter is bad? In either case, the "new" supply gives the same results with the "faulty" N2 (no power led, no hdmi, sys led shows heartbeat). So against my better judgement, because I'm tired of waiting and my vacation is almost over, I've decided to try the "new" supply with my "new" N2. So far so good (fingers crossed). What I'm really upset about is the lack of follow through with Ameridroid, and their inability to properly negotiate a support issue. I've worked in tech support for this kind of stuff. Everything is tracked by name/address. There should be no reason for me to have to bounce back and forth between email and forums multiple times. My "ticket" should still be open until I'm satisfied with a product I paid for. Get your act together guys!

@odroid - Thanks for your part. If it hadn't been for you, I'd probably still be stuck with a faulty/non-working N2. Hope your day is going well. :)

Ameridroid

Unread post by Ameridroid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:27 am

hansolo77 - Your forum name does not appear anywhere in our database, so we have no way of finding out what your order is based on your forum username.

Our support department has been a bit short-staffed the past few days due to absences, not to mention the Labor Day weekend. Our employees get weekends and holidays off, so we couldn't respond during the weekend.

If you haven't already been contacted, you will probably be contacted shortly as our support staff gets caught up. The staff that monitors the forum is not the same staff that handles emails or answers phones (too much for one person), so it's easy to get our wires crossed if we miss some information. Sorry about that.

Return to “Issues”