Smarter photo management with AI?

Share here your ideas for new projects
mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Smarter photo management with AI?

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:06 am

Having relatively small children I accumulate over 5000 family photos ever 6 months. I try to take the time to triage and sort these photos every few months, but the task seems to get out of hand and I might need more advanced tools.

Currently I have some scripts that convert mp4 video taken from my camera or phones and reencodes it at a lower bandwidth while preserving video detail (there's no reason for a 1080p video to be 20Mbps when it's visually the same at 4Mbps or below). This helps me save up on storage and also imposes a lighter load on my extended family's computers/networks.
For photos I have a script that clears exif comments (some phones would put garbage in the comment field) and also fixes the file date (sets it to the "date taken" exif field). (I'm very strict with my metadata).

But I still have to manually go through all the photos to group them by event/date, delete the duplicate/out-of-focus or not relevant ones or sync clocks/timestamps when merging photos from different sources.

I figure I could use an automatic hand with it.
I'll also want to display photos on a photo frame I want to build with a VU7+, but I'd like to show pictures of family members, not landscapes/cityscapes. And I don't want to manually select the photos to display (should be a smart photo frame after all!)

So these are the problems I'm trying to solve:

1. Photo deduplication - should be easy (hash based) for identical photos, but I want to keep the higher resolution photo in case I have an original and a scaled down version (e.g. sent over whatsapp). Not sure if there's a tool for this already...
2. Face identification - I'd like to tag (via exif) the photos that contain at least a face.
3. Face recognition - I'd like to be able to recognize who the face belongs to in a photo. Ideally after the identification people with similar faces are grouped together so I can select/name them in bulk... Bonus points if it can keep track of a growing kid's face (because I sometimes mix my sons together in their early photos), otherwise I'll use context information (e.g. it's kid1 if date < kid2_birth_date else it's kid2).

All of this was done/doable by Google's Picasa a decade ago, but for windows and with a proprietary database. I'd like to store info as exif metadata so I can scan/use it 10-20 years from now.

So - what are my options? I'm not looking for speed, but if possible I'd like to split the work between my production odroids (mostly c2s). Any notable software I should know about to help get the job done?

Thanks.

nijhawank
Has thanked: 0

Re: Smarter photo management with AI?

Unread post by nijhawank » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Duplicate Cleaner by Digital Volcano is an excellent de-duplicator that can detect duplicates purely based on photo data ignoring any changes in the exif, can detect similar photos based on configurable similarity and has excellent tools for deleting the found duplicates.

No, I am not associated with the company, just that I have used this tool in the past and is worth every penny. Even the free version is great.
These users thanked the author nijhawank for the post:
mad_ady (Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:59 pm)

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks, but I'm mostly looking for linux tools for the job.

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 6 x HC1, 3 x H2

Unread post by powerful owl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Interesting application, I wonder how well this one would work? -> https://www.digikam.org/
(Haven't used it but there is an ARM package)

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:50 pm

Yes, digikam is great, though I prefer gthumb for interactive use - but I'd like to automate further what can be automated (e.g. filtering out blurred photos, duplicates).
Even if the tool is not perfect I could use it to identify some photos and move them in a folder for manual inspection

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm

The only way I know of to do this would be with something like Google cloud vision.

https://cloud.google.com/vision/docs/face-tutorial

It's not free but something capable of handling that amount of facial recognition isn't likely going to be found for free, and if it was I'm not sure how accurate it would be.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Maybe that's why they retired their Picasa app - it seemed to do face recognition quite well, for free (albeit in windows), but it stored its data in a custom binary format. So it's doable without "the cloud"... I'll keep looking

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Unread post by elatllat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:33 am

Sounds like a job for Tensorflow
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=28177

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:18 pm

I agree, I guess learning about AI development is inevitable...

Return to “The Ideas”