Running PfSense on H2

dr-rox
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC1, N2, H2
Has thanked: 0

Running PfSense on H2

Unread post by dr-rox » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:11 am

One of big reasons I got H2 is ability to make it as a router. So I got latest PfSense 2.4.4, flashed to USB and installed. And it looks good with default install. I've read it has some troubles with Realtek drivers and ships with some unstable ones. I did few iPerf runs and got results between 875-941 mbits/s - all looking good. So should I do something with Realtek drivers or the default installation picks up good ones? I've read somewhere it's good to install some "ra" package to get best network performance.

Edit: Well, I kept running iperf again and again and the speed settled for ~840 for a longer time. Maybe I need to install something more than a default drivers?
These users thanked the author dr-rox for the post:
odroid (Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 am)

PigLover
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, HC1, MC1
Been thanked: 0

Re: Running PfSense on H2

Unread post by PigLover » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:59 am

IIRC the Realtek issues with PfSense are quite date and the current release has the good drivers already installed. Could be wrong though. You’ll get much better feedback by searching the pfsense forum than you will get posting here.

gordone

Unread post by gordone » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 pm

What version of Pfsense are you using Dr-rox ?

I have problem with 2.4.4-RELEASE-p3 (amd64).

viewtopic.php?p=265272#p265272

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 6 x HC1, H2

Unread post by powerful owl » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:07 am

pfSense still recommend Intel NICs on their website. However I read that the Realtek issue can be triggered with iperf. This exciting graph is 10 minutes worth of iperf from LAN->WAN measured every 10 seconds, throughput is similar to @dr-rox and so far I haven't been able to trigger anything. I guess I wonder if running this for a day would prove anything one way or t'other (thoughts?)

Return to “Other OS”