Pulse sound output

dbod
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2

Pulse sound output

Unread post by dbod » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:11 pm

I can "paplay" sounds when I am logged in into the Mate desktop, but that does not work from a shell when I am connected via ssh alone.

Does anyone have a quick idea what I need to do?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Re: Pulse sound output

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 pm

it should work via SSH, but paplay only works for "regular" users not for "root" so if you connected via ssh as root it won't work.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

dbod

Unread post by dbod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:29 am

No. I am myself and not root :-) But it is definitively something that has to to with being logged in in the graphical UI. I guess it works because

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
has been run.

There is much useful (though not really accurate anymore) info in https://rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-softw ... your-users, but it needs pretty much trial-and-error to get a real solution.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:35 am

you can always try:
DISPLAY=:0 paplay ....
but I don't know if that's really required as paplay is not an X11 application.

maybe you can give error message and what you tried, so people can better help you.

The link above concentrates on how to NOT run pulseaudio.. I highly recommended NOT to follow that guide.
pulseaudio is started automatically unless you explicitly forbid it as described in the link you gave.
Once again, please do not follow that guide as it will really mess up your system.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

dbod

Unread post by dbod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:42 am

There is no error message, there is just no sound. I would not be so unfair and not report about error messages that I see :-) But thanks for your help, I will keep on trying and keep the forum posted when I find a solution.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:24 am

I just tested it with my ODROID N2 running MATE Desktop on Debian Buster.
I logged in via SSH as my default user (odroid) and started paplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
Was working perfectly fine. My boxes connected to the audio jack were blasting "Front Left".
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
dbod (Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 am)

dbod

Unread post by dbod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 am

Okay. I will give it another try.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

Return to “Ubuntu”