[OS] Debian Buster for ODROID N2

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

[OS] Debian Buster for ODROID N2

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:45 pm

This is the first version of my Debian Buster image for the ODROID N2.

It is uses the 4.9 LTS Kernel from Hardkernel.

It's a headless server image only with user root. But it has all my repositories included, which allows for easy installation and updates of packages such as Kernel and Headers and other packages.

The image has my usual setup: means on first boot it's resizing the rootfs partition and configures SSH. It will automatically reboot after the initial setup after which this image is ready to use.
Kernel and headers are already installed if you need to build your own drivers.
A few basic tools such as htop, mc, vim and bash-completion are already installed for your convenience.
A full list of installed applications and dependencies can be found in the root of the image ("/").

Download: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Bu ... -N2.img.xz md5 sha512 sig
Mirror: http://fuzon.co.uk/meveric/images/Buste ... -N2.img.xz md5 sha512 sig

Size compressed: 121MB
Size uncompressed: 1GB

Default Login: root
Default Password: odroid

It's ready to be used as a server image.

First things first:
Since there's constantly new development for this image and ODROIDs in general the First thing you should do after the image is up and running is to install all updates:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade
How to convert the image into a Desktop image:
The image can easily converted into a Desktop image looking similar to this:

I created a setup tool that's already preinstalled:

setup-odroid
Which should easily allow you to install a Desktop Environment.

Please Note:
There are no X11 GPU drivers for the ODROID N2 which means there is no 3D acceleration available for Desktop applications. You can still run fbdev applications such as glmark2-es2-fbdev, retroarch or others from the desktop, but it will be using the entire framebuffer and the desktop in the background can cause issues (such as clock shining through or other desktop applications).

Hints:
Changing language:
If you install a Desktop environment you should already have keybord-configuration installed, it will ask upon the first installation what keyboard layout it should use.
This configuration is for your X11 Desktop so you have your desired keyboard layout.
For console you need to install console-setup to do the same, so just in case:

apt-get install console-setup keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
should be all that is needed to change your keyboard layout.
You probably want to set timezone as well

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
Setting up WLAN from command line
viewtopic.php?p=257420#p257420

Webbrowser:
Since the N2 does not have X11 GPU drivers none of the webbrowsers available will have hardware accelerated browsing.
Means you won't have "smooth scrolling", "WebGL" or other 3D features that require working hardware acceleration on the Desktop.
I suggest using FireFox for webbrowsing, as it's faster than Chromium and supports YouTube videos up to 1080p.
If you want to use Chromium anyway, make sure to start it with the option --use-gl=none or else it will try to use MESA with Software rendering which is very slow and will cause even more slowdowns.

Kodi with hardware acceleration:
Kodi with hardware acceleration can also be installed with the tool setup-odroid and I'd suggest to use this rather than manually trying to install it, as there are modules that need to be loaded, and permissions to be configured in order to get Kodi working.
Once again it's running with fbdev, and although you can start it from desktop, the desktop can cause some issues in displaying.

General Notice:
Most of the applications I provide in my repositories are for X11 systems, since the N2 does not support X11 there's a high chance they won't work.
Some of them (that do not require a GPU) will work, others may not.
I also offer specific fbdev applications such as retroarch for example which allow you to utilize the GPU of the N2, but won't work "nicely" with a desktop, please keep that in mind when you use my image.
Some more applications that use "OpenGL" instead of OpenGL ES can be run via gl4es from the Desktop as well.

Notes:
I'm currently working on Kodi for Buster as well, Kodi is already running but video decoding via AML is not yet, but I hope I can fix this soon.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 2):
TomasC (Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:49 pm) • xabolcs (Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:31 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

TomasC
languages_spoken: german, english, spanish
ODROIDs: N2
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Buster for ODROID N2

Unread post by TomasC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi meveric, I assume one can upgrade directly from your Debian Stretch version, using the usual procedure: changing the sources lists from stretch to buster and "apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade" ?

And thank you very much for the time and effort you invest in these great images!

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Yes the update should work fine, but please note, that for Buster the current ODROID specific software support is very limited.
Means, Debian Buster and it's repository are there and working fine, but the software that comes from me, games/programs and such are currently not yet all available for Debian Buster.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
TomasC (Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

wallyz21
languages_spoken: english

Unread post by wallyz21 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:59 am

Have you tried Wayland with a desktop?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 am

No I haven't as wayland drivers are currently still experimental and don't run correctly on Kernel 4.9 as far as I know.
I tried them and they wouldn't even produce any output at all on the ODROID.
I couldn't even see the terminal, yet alone was I able to run any 3D application that would use wayland as a backend.

Anyway I wayland will have to wait until HardKernel was able to produce an Image and drivers that properly support it.

adicarlo
ODROIDs: n2

Unread post by adicarlo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:20 am

meveric, thank you for the buster image -- it boots fine and seems to work as designed.

However, I noticed that device tree overlay support is not enabled:

# grep OF_OVERLAY /boot/config-4.9.185+ 
# CONFIG_OF_OVERLAY is not set
Is this an oversight or a deliver exclusion?

Is it possible to recompile the kernel with different options? I dug around on your apt sources, but I couldn't find the kernel package sources and diffs you're using.

(Just as a backgrounder, I'm a former debian developer so I'm familiar with the normal kernel packaging practices.)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:03 am

I'm using the Kernel sources from HardKernel as a basis: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/odroidn2-4.9.y
You can see most of the diffs I do by comparing the /boot/config from me with the one that is created by the default procedure of HardKernel's description: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/softw ... d-n2ubuntu
Although I'm using Debian tools to create kernel and header packages, I still had to change some things in the build process, as some files are not at the correct place after the linux-image file is created also the header files are missing some things that are required to make dkms working.
I add them at the end of the build process (via script) manually and rebuild the resulting packages.
I also added some cleanup and post and pre scipts to the Kernel image files, as the way ODROIDs handle images are very unique (using Image.gz instead of vmlinuz-<version> for example or using uInitrd instead of initrd.img-<version>).
The scripts can be found on my images, or in the kernel-image packages.

The fact that OF_OVERLAY is not set is due to the fact that HardKernel has not activated it, and I did not include it as a change in my build process (up to now no one asked for it).
I could try to activate it for my next Kernel build, but it's probably better to do a pull request on HardKernel's github repo so it can be used by others as well :)

adicarlo

Unread post by adicarlo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:16 am

> The fact that OF_OVERLAY is not set is due to the fact that HardKernel has not activated it

Hmm, I see that!

In fact, *everyone* seems to be forking from the hardkernel fork. I tested on the official ubuntu fork, your version, and the armbian version, all are stuck at 4.9 and all have OF_OVERLAY disabled.

> I could try to activate it for my next Kernel build, but it's probably better to do a pull request on HardKernel's github repo so it can be used by others as well

Ok, did at https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/pull/377

So, while I wait weeks or months for that to be evaluated, rolled in, and pushed out, looks like I need to try to follow your advice and build a custom kernel.

You say you've added them to the build scripts -- so I can just build a kernel package from the linux-source package in the pretty standard way and get a good kernel, right?

Thanks for the quick responses!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 am

adicarlo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:16 am
Ok, did at https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/pull/377

So, while I wait weeks or months for that to be evaluated, rolled in, and pushed out, looks like I need to try to follow your advice and build a custom kernel.
HardKernel is normally rather quick with including pull requests, especially when it doesn't break anything.
They normally build new Kernel's once a month after merging them with upstream changes, but pull requests might be merged much quicker :)

btw: your pull request won't work, you just removed the "#" in front of it, but it should either be a CONFIG_OF_OVERLAY=y or CONFIG_OF_OVERLAY=m.
CONFIG_OF_OVERLAY is not set is not really a valid option ;)

adicarlo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:16 am
You say you've added them to the build scripts -- so I can just build a kernel package from the linux-source package in the pretty standard way and get a good kernel, right?
There is no linux-source package you have to use the github repository.
Build scripts do work, but you only get a semi working Kernel. As I said, you need some scripts to do the post installation tasks, like creating the uInitrd and Image.gz file, else the ODROID won't boot.
You also need the dtb files in the correct place.

What ODROIDs need to boot is:
on bootfs:
Image.gz, uInitrd, boot.ini, meson64_odroidn2.dtb
on rootfs:
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/

If that's in place (no matter how you put it there) the system will boot. The rest is just nice and fancy stuff.
adicarlo (Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:49 am)

adicarlo

Unread post by adicarlo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:49 am

Well, I saw there is in fact a linux-source-4.19 package but I guess that's useless for me.

What I'm going to do is to follow the instructions at https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/softw ... ing_kernel, building a kernel from my fork, and see where I land.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:19 am

adicarlo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:49 am
Well, I saw there is in fact a linux-source-4.19 package but I guess that's useless for me.
As the ODROID N2 uses a highly modified version of Kernel 4.9, yes sources for 4.19 are useless, as they have none of the changes required for the N2 to work.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:53 am

Hi meveric!

I have problems with logging in to your "Debian-Buster64-1.0~RC1-20190710-N2.img" image through ssh.

The connection closes instantly, without prompt:

$ time ssh 192.168.20.1 -l root
Connection closed by 192.168.20.1 port 22

real    0m0.066s
user    0m0.016s
sys     0m0.016s

With "-v":

debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.4p1 Debian-10+deb9u6
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_7.9p1 Debian-10
debug1: match: OpenSSH_7.9p1 Debian-10 pat OpenSSH* compat 0x04000000
debug1: Authenticating to 192.168.20.1:22 as 'root'
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
Connection closed by 192.168.20.1 port 22

Am I missing something?

I wrote the image with "write_img" and verified with "write_check". Will try it again with Etcher.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 am

please login locally as root and type:

dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server
You can either reboot after that or restart ssh service service ssh restart after that it should work.

That's something that is working oddly at the moment and kinda new on buster.. normally this worked fine, but currently that's slightly broken, I have to investigate why it's not creating this on the first boot.
xabolcs (Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:04 am)

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:01 am

Thanks! Helped.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 pm

I have problems with using your awesome Debian images on a 2 GB microSD card.

It works flawlessly with 8 GB or 32 GB cards.

I am able to write the image without errors (with write_img & write_check or etcher).

The board is in bootloop:

Welcome to minicom 2.7.1

OPTIONS: I18n 
Compiled on Aug 13 2017, 15:25:34.
Port /dev/ttyUSB0, 13:22:00

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

G12B:BL:6e7c85:7898ac;FEAT:E0F83180:2000;POC:F;RCY:0;EMMC:0;READ:0;CHK:1F;READ:0;CHK:1F;READ:0;CHK:1F;SD?:0;SD:0;READ:0
                                                                                                                       1
bl2_stage_init 0x81                     
hw id: 0x0000 - pwm id 0x01             
bl2_stage_init 0xc1                     
bl2_stage_init 0x02                     

no sdio debug board detected            
L0:00000000                             
L1:00000703                             
L2:00008067                             
L3:04000000
B2:00002000
B1:e0f83180

TE: 888858                                                                                                              

BL2 Built : 06:17:13, Jun 28 2019. g12b gf0505d7-dirty - qi.duan@droid13                                                

Board ID = 4                                                                                                            
Set A53 clk to 24M                                                                                                      
Set A73 clk to 24M                                                                                                      
Set clk81 to 24M                                                                                                        
A53 clk: 1200 MHz                                                                                                       
A73 clk: 1200 MHz                                                                                                       
CLK81: 166.6M                                                                                                           
smccc: 000dd851                                                                                                         
DDR driver_vesion: LPDDR4_PHY_V_0_1_14 build time: Jun 28 2019 06:17:09                                                 
board id: 4                                                                                                             
Load FIP HDR from SD, src: 0x00010200, des: 0xfffd0000, size: 0x00004000, part: 0                                       
FIP HDR CHK: 0x000000ff ADDR 0xfffd0000                                                                                 
reset...                                                                                                                
G12B:BL:6e7c85:7898ac;FEAT:E0F83180:2000;POC:F;RCY:0;EMMC:0;READ:0;CHK:1F;READ:0;CHK:1F;READ:0;CHK:1F;SD?:0;SD:0;READ:0
                                                                                                                       1
bl2_stage_init 0x81                                                                                                     
bl2_stage_init 0xc1                                                                                                     
bl2_stage_init 0x02                                                                                                     

TE: 409202                                                                                                              

Board ID = 4                                                                                                            
Set A53 clk to 24M                                                                                                      
Set A73 clk to 24M                                                                                                      
Set clk81 to 24M                                                                                                        
smccc: 000686a8                                                                                                         
Load FIP HDR from SD, src: 0x00010200, des: 0xfffd0000, size: 0x00004000, part: 0                                       
reset...                                                                                                                

On a 32 GB card it boots fine:

Welcome to minicom 2.7.1

OPTIONS: I18n 
Compiled on Aug 13 2017, 15:25:34.
Port /dev/ttyUSB0, 13:30:29

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

1
bl2_stage_init 0x81
bl2_stage_init 0xc1
bl2_stage_init 0x02

TE: 378548                                                                                                              

Board ID = 4                                                                                                            
Set A53 clk to 24M                                                                                                      
Set A73 clk to 24M                                                                                                      
Set clk81 to 24M                                                                                                        
smccc: 00060eea                                                                                                         
fw parse done                                                                                                           
Load ddrfw from SD, src: 0x00030200, des: 0xfffd0000, size: 0x0000c000, part: 0                                         
Load ddrfw from SD, src: 0x0002c200, des: 0xfffd0000, size: 0x00004000, part: 0                                         
PIEI prepare done                                                                                                       
fastboot data load                                                                                                      
fastboot data verify                                                                                                    
verify result: 255                                                                                                      
Cfg max: 1, cur: 1. Board id: 255. Force loop cfg                                                                       
DDR4 probe                                                                                                              
ddr clk to 1320MHz                                                                                                      
Load ddrfw from SD, src: 0x00014200, des: 0xfffd0000, size: 0x0000c000, part: 0                                         
Check phy result                                                                                                        
INFO : End of initialization                                                                                            
INFO : End of read enable training                                                                                      
INFO : End of fine write leveling                                                                                       
INFO : End of read dq deskew training                                                                                   
INFO : End of MPR read delay center optimization                                                                        
INFO : End of Write leveling coarse delay                                                                               
INFO : End of write delay center optimization                                                                           
INFO : End of read delay center optimization                                                                            
INFO : End of max read latency training                                                                                 
INFO : Training has run successfully!                                                                                   
1D training succeed                                                                                                     
Load ddrfw from SD, src: 0x00020200, des: 0xfffd0000, size: 0x0000c000, part: 0                                         
Check phy result                                                                                                        
INFO : End of initialization                                                                                            
INFO : End of 2D read delay Voltage center optimization                                                                 
INFO : End of 2D write delay Voltage center optimization                                                                
INFO : Training has run successfully!                                                                                   

R0_RxClkDly_Margin==82 ps 7                                                                                             
R0_TxDqDly_Margi==106 ps 9                                                                                              

R1_RxClkDly_Margin==0 ps 0                                                                                              
R1_TxDqDly_Margi==0 ps 0                                                                                                

dwc_ddrphy_apb_wr((0<<20)|(2<<16)|(0<<12)|(0xb0):0001                                                                  
2D training succeed                                                                                                     
auto size-- 65535DDR cs0 size: 2048MB                                                                                   
DDR cs1 size: 2048MB                                                                                                    
DMC_DDR_CTRL: 00600024DDR size: 3928MB                                                                                  
cs0 DataBus test pass                                                                                                   
cs1 DataBus test pass                                                                                                   
cs0 AddrBus test pass                                                                                                   
cs1 AddrBus test pass                                                                                                   
 pre test  bdlr_100_average==435 bdlr_100_min==435 bdlr_100_max==435 bdlr_100_cur==435                                  
 aft test  bdlr_100_average==435 bdlr_100_min==435 bdlr_100_max==435 bdlr_100_cur==435                                  
non-sec scramble use zero key                                                                                           
ddr scramble enabled                                                                                                    

100bdlr_step_size ps== 435                                                                                              
result report                                                                                                           
boot times 0Enable ddr reg access                                                                                       
Load FIP HDR from SD, src: 0x00010200, des: 0x01700000, size: 0x00004000, part: 0                                       
Load BL3X from SD, src: 0x0003c200, des: 0x0172c000, size: 0x00094c00, part: 0                                          
0.0;M3 CHK:0;cm4_sp_mode 0                                                                                              
E30HDR                                                                                                                  
MVN_1=0x00000000                                                                                                        
MVN_2=0x00000000                                                                                                        
[Image: g12b_v1.1.3375-8f9c8a7 2019-01-24 10:44:46 guotai.shen@droid11-sz]                                              
OPS=0x40                                                                                                                
ring efuse init                                                                                                         
chipver efuse init                                                                                                      
29 0a 40 00 01 0a 1f 00 00 16 30 32 54 52 4d 50                                                                         
[0.019859 Inits done]                                                                                                   
secure task start!                                                                                                      
high task start!                                                                                                        
low task start!                                                                                                         
run into bl31                                                                                                           
NOTICE:  BL31: v1.3(release):ab8811b                                                                                    
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 15:03:31, Feb 12 2019                                                                            
NOTICE:  BL31: G12A normal boot!                                                                                        
NOTICE:  BL31: BL33 decompress pass                                                                                     
ERROR:   Error initializing runtime service opteed_fast                                                                 

U-Boot 2015.01-g8409a3f (Jul 04 2019 - 13:43:11)                                                                        

DRAM:  3.5 GiB                                                                                                          
Relocation Offset is: d6ef3000                                                                                          
spi_post_bind(spifc): req_seq = 0                                                                                       
register usb cfg[0][1] = 00000000d7f84b28                                                                               
MMC:   aml_priv->desc_buf = 0x00000000d3ee37c0                                                                          
aml_priv->desc_buf = 0x00000000d3ee5b00                                                                                 
SDIO Port C: 0, SDIO Port B: 1                                                                                          
card in                                                                                                                 
co-phase 0x2, tx-dly 0, clock 400000                                                                                    
co-phase 0x2, tx-dly 0, clock 40000000                                                                                  
aml_sd_retry_refix[983]:delay = 0x0,gadjust =0x22000                                                                    
[mmc_startup] mmc refix success                                                                                         
[mmc_init] mmc init success                                                                                             
In:    serial                                                                                                           
Out:   serial                                                                                                           
Err:   serial                                                                                                           
vpu: error: vpu: check dts: FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC, load default parameters                                                   
vpu: driver version: v20190313                                                                                          
vpu: detect chip type: 9                                                                                                
vpu: clk_level default: 7(666667000Hz), max: 7(666667000Hz)                                                             
vpu: clk_level = 7                                                                                                      
vpu: vpu_power_on                                                                                                       
vpu: set_vpu_clk                                                                                                        
vpu: set clk: 666667000Hz, readback: 666666667Hz(0x100)                                                                 
vpu: set_vpu_clk finish                                                                                                 
vpu: vpu_module_init_config                                                                                             
vpp: vpp_init                                                                                                           
vpp: g12a/b osd1 matrix rgb2yuv ..............                                                                          
vpp: g12a/b osd2 matrix rgb2yuv..............                                                                           
vpp: g12a/b osd3 matrix rgb2yuv..............                                                                           
cvbs: cpuid:0x29                                                                                                        
cvbs_config_hdmipll_g12a                                                                                                
cvbs_set_vid2_clk                                                                                                       
reading boot-logo.bmp.gz                                                                                                
** Unable to read file boot-logo.bmp.gz **                                                                              
reading boot-logo.bmp                                                                                                   
** Unable to read file boot-logo.bmp **                                                                                 
movi: not registered partition name, logo                                                                               
movi - Read/write command from/to SD/MMC for ODROID board                                                               

Usage:                                                                                                                  
movi <read|write> <partition|sector> <offset> <address> [<length>]                                                      
    - <read|write>  the command to access the storage                                                                   
    - <offset>  the offset from the start of given partiton in lba                                                      
    - <address>  the memory address to load/store from/to the storage device                                            
    - [<length>]  the size of the block to read/write in bytes                                                          
    - all parameters must be hexa-decimal only                                                                          

[OSD]check dts: FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC, load default fb_addr parameters                                                       
[OSD]set initrd_high: 0x3d800000                                                                                        
[OSD]fb_addr for logo: 0x3d800000                                                                                       
[OSD]VPP_OFIFO_SIZE:0xfff01fff                                                                                          
[CANVAS]canvas init                                                                                                     
[CANVAS]addr=0x3d800000 width=5760, height=2160                                                                         
[OSD]wait_vsync_wakeup exit                                                                                             
cvbs: outputmode[1080p60hz] is invalid                                                                                  
vpp: vpp_matrix_update: 2                                                                                               
set hdmitx VIC = 16                                                                                                     
config HPLL = 5940000 frac_rate = 1                                                                                     
HPLL: 0x3b3a04f7                                                                                                        
HPLL: 0x1b3a04f7                                                                                                        
HPLLv1: 0xdb3a04f7                                                                                                      
config HPLL done                                                                                                        
j = 6  vid_clk_div = 1                                                                                                  
hdmitx phy setting done                                                                                                 
hdmitx: set enc for VIC: 16                                                                                             
enc_vpu_bridge_reset[1312]                                                                                              
rx version is 1.4 or below  div=10                                                                                      
Net:   dwmac.ff3f0000                                                                                                   
[OSD]VPP_OFIFO_SIZE:0xfff01000                                                                                          
reading logo.bmp.gz                                                                                                     
** Unable to read file logo.bmp.gz **                                                                                   
reading logo.bmp                                                                                                        
** Unable to read file logo.bmp **                                                                                      
co-phase 0x3, tx-dly 0, clock 400000                                                                                    
emmc/sd response timeout, cmd8, status=0x1ff2800                                                                        
emmc/sd response timeout, cmd55, status=0x1ff2800                                                                       
co-phase 0x1, tx-dly 0, clock 40000000                                                                                  
aml_sd_retry_refix[983]:delay = 0x0,gadjust =0x2000                                                                     
[mmc_startup] mmc refix success                                                                                         
[mmc_init] mmc init success                                                                                             
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...                                                                                      
** Unrecognized filesystem type **                                                                                      
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...                                                                                      
** Unrecognized filesystem type **                                                                                      
cvbs: outputmode[1080p60hz] is invalid                                                                                  
vpp: vpp_matrix_update: 2                                                                                               
set hdmitx VIC = 16                                                                                                     
config HPLL = 5940000 frac_rate = 1                                                                                     
HPLL: 0x3b3a04f7                                                                                                        
HPLL: 0x1b3a04f7                                                                                                        
HPLLv1: 0xdb3a04f7                                                                                                      
config HPLL done                                                                                                        
j = 6  vid_clk_div = 1                                                                                                  
hdmitx phy setting done                                                                                                 
hdmitx: set enc for VIC: 16                                                                                             
enc_vpu_bridge_reset[1312]                                                                                              
rx version is 1.4 or below  div=10                                                                                      
Hit Enter or space or Ctrl+C key to stop autoboot -- :  0                                                               
reading boot.ini                                                                                                        
4602 bytes read in 3 ms (1.5 MiB/s)                                                                                     
## Executing script at 01000000                                                                                         
HDMI cable is NOT connected                                                                                             
reading Image.gz                                                                                                        
8506533 bytes read in 476 ms (17 MiB/s)                                                                                 
reading meson64_odroidn2.dtb                                                                                            
69785 bytes read in 8 ms (8.3 MiB/s)                                                                                    
reading uInitrd                                                                                                         
7883506 bytes read in 434 ms (17.3 MiB/s)                                                                               
Uncompressed size: 23333376 = 0x1640A00                                                                                 
## Loading init Ramdisk from Legacy Image at 03700000 ...                                                               
   Image Name:   uInitrd                                                                                                
   Image Type:   AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)                                                             
   Data Size:    7883442 Bytes = 7.5 MiB                                                                                
   Load Address: 00000000                                                                                               
   Entry Point:  00000000                                                                                               
   Verifying Checksum ... OK                                                                                            
load dtb from 0x1000000 ......                                                                                          
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 01000000                                                                               
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x1000000                                                                              
   reserving fdt memory region: addr=1000000 size=12000                                                                 
   Loading Ramdisk to 3d07b000, end 3d7ffab2 ... OK                                                                     
   Loading Device Tree to 000000001ffeb000, end 000000001ffff098 ... OK                                                 
fdt_fixup_memory_banks, reg:0000000000000000                                                                            

Starting kernel ...                                                                                                     

uboot time: 9368749 us                                                                                                  
As I see in the logs it resets with "FIP HDR CHK: 0x000000ff ADDR 0xfffd0000" instead logging fw parse done.
Where should I ask about u-boot related issues? :)
Last edited by xabolcs on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:39 pm

hmm good question.. I don't have that small SD cards to compare.
Maybe hardkernel has an idea what it could be.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:51 pm

@xaboics, what's the vendor of you SD card? Actually, there is not much things to try to boot with your SD card if you have the error attached. Possibility is that SD card is not compatible or image is not flashed well. If you still have to boot with 2G SD card and having the same error after reflashing an image, please consider to use Petitboot, as long as your SD can can be mountable by Linux kernel of N2, the Petitboot will boot the OS on your 2GB SD card.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:17 pm

It's a (noname? fake?) Toshiba 2 GB microSD, looks exactly like in the attached screenshot. Didn't have any read/write error with it yet.

Will try the Petitboot method, thanks! It's safe to use the latest dev version from your thread, tobetter?
Attachments
microsd_2gb.jpg
SD-C02G TAIWAN
microsd_2gb.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 2616 times

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm

xabolcs wrote:It's a (noname? fake?) Toshiba 2 GB microSD, looks exactly like in the attached screenshot. Didn't have any read/write error with it yet.

Will try the Petitboot method, thanks! It's safe to use the latest dev version from your thread, tobetter?
Let me try the Toshiba card if I found it, I think I have 4GB one somewhere. I think it's ok to use Petitboot with your 2GB card if Petitboot shows you the boot entry with the image, no harm at all. It does not store and not being persist once the target OS boots.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:48 pm

tobetter wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm
eLet me try the Toshiba card if I found it, I think I have 4GB one somewhere. ...
My microSD card (due to it size) uses the SD standard, not the SDHC standard. Maybe there is an SD / SDHC incompatibility?

Btw booting through Petitboot works as expected.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 pm

xabolcs wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:48 pm
My microSD card (due to it size) uses the SD standard, not the SDHC standard. Maybe there is an SD / SDHC incompatibility?
This could actually be the issue.
Some ODROIDs actually have an option to reduce speed:

# UHS (Ultra High Speed) MicroSD mode enable/disable
setenv disableuhs "false"
as they can't boot otherwise.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:26 am

meveric wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 pm

# UHS (Ultra High Speed) MicroSD mode enable/disable
setenv disableuhs "false"

Didn't help. Tried with "true" - didn't help also:

reset...  

Btw, booting your image with Petitboot:

[    3.930351@3] sd: new high speed SD card at address 1234                                                             
[    3.930373@3] sd: clock 50000000, 4-bit-bus-width                                                                    
 [    3.935025@3] mmcblk1: sd:1234 SA02G 1.84 GiB                                                                       
[    3.942086@3]  mmcblk1: p1 p2    

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 am

xabolcs wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:26 am
Didn't help. Tried with "true" - didn't help also:

reset...  
I don't think that option is actually supported on the N2 and just adding it will do nothing :D

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 am

If I install u-boot to eMMC (I have an 128 GB eMMC) with the "sd_fusing.sh" tool, it is able to boot the 2GB microSD card! :shock:

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:49 am

xabolcs wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 am
If I install u-boot to eMMC (I have an 128 GB eMMC) with the "sd_fusing.sh" tool, it is able to boot the 2GB microSD card! :shock:
It's because the bootloader blobs are loaded from eMMC and load boot.ini from SD card. I suppose you don't have boot.ini on eMMC or the boot order is SD to eMMC.

xabolcs

Unread post by xabolcs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:55 am

Yup, the eMMC's first partition is unformatted.

This is a good workaround for this problem.

It would be nice if there would be a way to detect where the u-boot started, for the automated u-boot updater. ;)

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:07 am

xabolcs wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:55 am
Yup, the eMMC's first partition is unformatted.

This is a good workaround for this problem.

It would be nice if there would be a way to detect where the u-boot started, for the automated u-boot updater. ;)
Technically there is a register which indicates the boot media, but I guess it's not exposed in the kernel yet. Anyway, I think this is the out of topic for this thread. ;)
https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/bl ... oard.c#L46

sensei73

Unread post by sensei73 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks for your image, and your work. But with Kodi it seems to have a problem, there is some micro pause every 3-4s and I can't get audio passthrough. I tried also your drivers with armbian but I can't get HW decoding working, could you share your kernel compilation configuration? thanks in advance.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm

sensei73 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:55 pm
Thanks for your image, and your work. But with Kodi it seems to have a problem, there is some micro pause every 3-4s and I can't get audio passthrough.
If you update the Kernel the micro pauses will be gone, but only for H264 movies at the moment.
H265 will not work at all. HardKernel made some changes on the Kernel that should fix the micro pauses in videos but (at least on my image) it also broke H265 support.
I have to try getting different drivers for decoding and see if it makes a difference.
sensei73 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:55 pm
I tried also your drivers with armbian but I can't get HW decoding working, could you share your kernel compilation configuration? thanks in advance.
The Kernel comes from HardKernel itself they have their own git repository where they keep the Kernel for their boards, I just use it to build .deb files for it which can be used for automatically updates via apt.

sensei73

Unread post by sensei73 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks for your quick answer! If it’s not too much, what are the modules needed to load for HW decoding?

I have:

media_clock firmware decoder_common stream_input amvdec_avs amvdec_h264 amvdec_h264_4k2k amvdec_mh264 amvdec_h264mvc amvdec_h265 amvdec_mjpeg amvdec_mmjpeg amvdec_mpeg12 amvdec_mpeg4 amvdec_mmpeg4 amvdec_real amvdec_vc1 amvdec_vp9
Did I forget something!?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:07 pm

The modules are correct, but these modules do not decode anything.
They only provide certain devices under /dev/ which can than be used by the actual decoders.
Also the Kernel must have the firmware h264_enc.bin and video_ucode.bin present or else it won't work either.

poincare
languages_spoken: English, German, French
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4, ODROID C2, ODROID N2

Unread post by poincare » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 am

Hello. I'm wondering if this version of Debian supports the 8192-dkms package like is also on your Debian Stretch image? What I mean is, can I just apt install 8192-dkms on your version of Debian Buster? Asking as I have tried to get 8192cu on Armbian but it fails to compile, Armbian forum isn't supportive and no one responds to forum posts there.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:27 am

normally it should work.
The dkms package are placed in my all/main package lists which is available on all OS, Stretch or Buster shouldn't make a difference since it's build against the Kernel and that's the same for all OSes :)

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Unread post by igorpec » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 pm

poincare wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 am
Armbian forum isn't supportive and no one responds to forum posts there.
- perhaps your question was not made in a polite manner? Perhaps you didn't seek if the same question exists on forum? (I am sure it does)
- support for 3rd party drivers you find on the internet was never supported. Its 100% your costs to make it work.

If your hardware is not within "Tested 3rd party hardware" you can expect troubles. We do have 8192cu wifi around, but it doesn't work OOB and its not worth fixing under kernel 4.9.y ...

Bottom up.
DKMS on a custom 4.9 and some driver from net? A lottery.
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools

ab1jx

Unread post by ab1jx » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:08 am

poincare wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 am
Hello. I'm wondering if this version of Debian supports the 8192-dkms package like is also on your Debian Stretch image? What I mean is, can I just apt install 8192-dkms on your version of Debian Buster? Asking as I have tried to get 8192cu on Armbian but it fails to compile, Armbian forum isn't supportive and no one responds to forum posts there.
8192cu is the driver I got when I installed Buster, or I got upgraded to it. fsck wouldn't recover from a mess I got from a power failure during a bunch of intensive file copying, so after salvaging some stuff I installed Debian-Buster64-1.0~RC1-20190710-N2.img. lsmod shows me 8192cu.

It does seem less perfect than I originally thought, on a few machines, but that could be my cell phone internet connecton.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:30 am

The Kernel provided by HardKernel already comes with 8192cu drivers.
You can install the dkms package anyway, but might have to blacklist the driver from the Kernel to use it.

ResdexR6
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by ResdexR6 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 am

Hi,
I am currently having problems setting up iptables firewall on your image.

running /usr/share/ufw/check-requirements or trying init produces Errors:
error was: ip6tables v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option "--icmpv6-type"
Try `ip6tables -h' or 'ip6tables --help' for more information.

FAIL: check your kernel and that you have iptables >= 1.4.0

Do you have any advice for me to get it to work?
Disabling ipv6 totally ?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:28 am

I think that is a known bug.
And might be related to the Kernel version available on the N2 which is too old.
It could also be considered a bug in ufw which does no longer work with older Kernels.
I think you can read more about this here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=915627

My suggestion, use something else besides ufw, for example shorewall which is an excellent firewall.

poincare
languages_spoken: English, German, French
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4, ODROID C2, ODROID N2

Unread post by poincare » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:32 am

I am getting many repeated messages in dmesg which look like this:

[ 3747.686924] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3756.678548] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3765.670176] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3806.691801] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3867.648678] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3887.679634] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3897.663027] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3898.655012] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3898.782695] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 2 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3900.670926] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 2 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3902.686654] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 2 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3903.678676] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 2 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3904.671523] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 2 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3927.677426] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 3986.682208] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4007.641054] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4048.662800] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4107.667673] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4134.674179] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4166.672430] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4226.637172] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4287.657807] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4347.654674] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4387.620554] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4406.659549] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
[ 4467.648297] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 0 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset
And, iwconfig output:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"STAR"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.442 GHz  Access Point: 40:... 
          Bit Rate=13 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-19 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:108  Invalid misc:43   Missed beacon:0
I tried to Google the heck out of many combinations of this error, but can't seem to find a fix that works for the version of Debian posted by meveric in the OP. One post from Bugzilla suggested this may be fixed in kernels >= 4.11. But, I only see 4.9 in the repos.

Has anyone seen errors like this that are fixable? Basically, WIFI stops working after about a minute or so and only way to access the board is move it closer to a router to connect with ethernet cable.

This is with an Ralink 5370 chipset USB2 802.11n adapter.

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Unread post by igorpec » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:16 am

One post from Bugzilla suggested this may be fixed in kernels >= 4.11. But, I only see 4.9 in the repos.
And what did I tell you?
but it doesn't work OOB and its not worth fixing under kernel 4.9.y
This problem is actually already fixed in Linux kernel and nobody will waste time to fix it again under different circumstances: development 4.9.y kernel. If its cheap, why not, but if this means lots of work ... Stop. Get another WiFi dongle or wait. N2 is starting to get support with development kernels 5.3.y -> but things are under testings (search this forum and armbian for them). That is the only alternative ATM.

And Maveric answer you where the drivers came from. We all use the same.
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools

Return to “Other OS”